[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PS1 on an HDTV

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 2

File: psone.jpg (13KB, 300x255px) Image search: [Google]
psone.jpg
13KB, 300x255px
Okay, I have a PS1 console just like the one in the picture, as well as an HDTV with LED-based screen. I've been using the standard composite RCA A/V cables to hook the PS1 up to it, but I've never been satisfied with the video quality. My TV also has a component input, an HDMI input and a VGA input. Can my PS1 be hooked up to any of these for a better picture? If so, what will I need to buy and how would I go about hooking it all up? I don't have an old-fashioned tube TV to use, only HDTV.
>>
TV sounds pretty old.

Micomsoft scalers with rgb cables are the best options.
>>
Ditch the PSOne and emulate via HDMI.
>>
>>2914215
Use an RGB to Component converter. You're already using LED, no need to add additional lag for no benefit with an HDMI analog-to-digital converter.
>>
>>2914220
Because it has VGA? Many new Sharp models still incorporate VGA.

Buy a scaler. DVDO or xrgb.
Buy an rgb cable. Retroconsoleaccessories.
Run scaler to your TV via VGA.
Include a scaneline generator if you like.
Prepare to spend a lot of money.
Alternatively, you can get the same previously mentioned rgb Scart cable and use an rgb to component transcoder.
>>
The cheapest option will be for you to get a PS2 to play your PS1 games on with component out. Turn off all image processing. Soft mod and let it start paying for itself.
>>
>>2914235
>Sharp
I don't live in 3rd world so wouldn't know.
>>
>>2914260
I run a 32" sharp with my scaler.
It is more responsive and has better color than my 8yr old Samsung, which also has VGA.
>>
Would one of these do the trick?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qre-GJ8oYAc
>>
>>2914215
American? If you don't have a tv with Scart your best option is to use S-video

European? Just use Scart
>>
>>2914421

I'm from America, so I'd have to use S-video. Unfortunately, my TV doesn't have an S-video input.
>>
Your TV may not even support 480 component
>>
ps2 with component cables, or if you have none get one of those ps2hdmi things

no real reason to be using a psx if its not modchipped
>>
All Ps3 can play PS1 games
>>
Get a ps2 and a hdmi adaptor for it.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7fCTHu99bk
>>
>>2914427
In that case you should go for a Scart cable + Scart to HDMI converter
>>
>>2914467
Not all PS1 games can be played on PS3 though. Patchy solution at best.
>>
>>2914617
The vast majority can, it's far better than 'patchy'.
>>
All PS3s play PSX games.

Every. Single. One.

That's your best option.
>>
>>2914630
We're talking about how to make the ps1 games look good...not make them looks awful on ps3.
>>
>>2914623
Off the top of my head Front Mission, King's Field and Alundra don't work. You also lose out on games that used the Justifier/GunCon.

Those factors alone made me completely reject the option of a PS3 for PS1 games. Obviously would depend on a person-by-person basis but I wouldn't recommend getting a PS3 for the sake of playing PS1 games because of it.
>>
>>2914630
What are talking about? They look great. Best way to play them, actually.

Why are bothered by reality, what are you, a woman?
>>
>>2914630
See >>2914643
>>
>>2914643
Absolutely wrong.

I played the entirety of Alundra on a PS3 last year.
>>
>>2914645
https://youtu.be/zD7gSeA-75M
Skip to the split screen. Tell me the right looks better. Super muddy.
>>
>>2914643
>>2914660
I'll add that I played about 50 PS1 games on PS3 and the -only- one I've had issues with is Legend of Legaia.

It's only one part and it's effectively a 100% freeze but you can get around it by converting your save to a memory card and playing past that part on a PS1.

People like to say the PS3 looks like shit but if your option is PS1 on an HDTV or a PS3, you're probably better off playing on PS3.

>no worries about memory card space
>wireless controller
>looks better than SD on an HDTV

I play them on my crt now that I got them back, but PS1 games look fine on an HDTV while played through a PS3.
>>
>>2914630
PS3s are flawed by inherent lag caused by both the controller and emulator. I think using an original DS1 through USB might give better results but I haven't looked into it.
>>
>>2914643
Welcome to retro gaming, light guns obviously don't fucking work on LCDs.
>>
>>2914215
>LED-based
Why do kids make up shit like this?
>>
>>2914240
This, PS2 Component is the way to go.
>>
OP again...

I'm convinced I'm gonna have to get one of these things...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=rca+to+hdmi+converter&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xrca+to+hdmi+upscaler.TRS0&_nkw=rca+to+hdmi+upscaler&_sacat=0

I've seen numerous YouTube vids about them and they seem to work pretty well despite the small size and cost.

Thanks to all for your suggestions and advice.
>>
>>2914786
Can't tell if you're denying the existence of LED TVs or just being extremely pedantic about his wording
>>
>>2916643
At the very least, op, get a shitty eBay transcoder that does rgb scart to HDMI and then get an rgb scart lead to go with it.
You will be so much happier with that then composite to HDMI.
>>
>>2916643
I guarantee you that the improvement from that converter from composite is going to be barely noticeable and pretty much not worth it unless your TV straight up does not have RCA inputs at all.

As people have already said, a PS2 with component cables is your cheapest and best-looking option.
>>
>>2916658
They're not LED TVs. They're LCD TVs with LED instead of CFL backlight.
There are actual LED based displays but they're limited to low resolutions.
>>
>>2916665

Since those SCART cables follow European standards, would there be a voltage difference? I don't want to fry my system or anything.
>>
>>2916658
I don't deny the existent of LED "TVs". But you/he don't have one. Your parents might have an LCD TV with LED back lighting. Actual LED screens are the things you see in stadiums

I'm not being pedantic about his made up wording. No one aside from this underage dingus has ever called any TV an "LED-based screen" It's some shit he made up to try to sound clever.
>>
>>2917118
>Since those SCART cables follow European standards, would there be a voltage difference?

PAL voltage different is for the AC input. The voltages in a SCART cable are much lower DC voltages.

The SCART cable might be wired differently though, but that's not that common (unless you are getting a XRGB Framemeister, which uses JP21 input - a Japanese scart with different pinout).

>>2917165
This guy is correct, LED TVs use normal LCD panels, they just changed the backlight to LED instead of CCFL. Real LED screens don't exist in consumer TVs yet, short of some prototypes or obscure sets, and may never will.

OLEDs are slowly becoming a thing (fucking finally), but they are mostly used in phones, not in TVs.
>>
>>2917165

What I meant was, my TV was LCD with LED back-lighting. I admit to not realizing that before; thanks for enlightening this "underage dingus".
>>
>>2917232
LG makes a phenomenal and inexpensive oled set now. I have a 60 in my living room and it only ran me about 5 grand. I moved my st60 to the den after I got it. Phenomenal picture like I said, it didn't even need any calibration. The response time is also near instant from what I can tell, and there's no input lag that km aware of.
>>
>>2917118
scart carries only 5 volts for triggering, similar to HDMI. It's an av cable, that's all.
>>
File: Adafruit607.png (2MB, 1200x922px) Image search: [Google]
Adafruit607.png
2MB, 1200x922px
>>2917232
You can buy LED panels.
The problem is they only come in resolutions like 32x32 so even the 160x144 of a GBC or GG required 25 combined together and 320x240 would require 80. They're 5"x5" in size each.
>>
>>2918431
Everyone knew what you meant. Why you chose to make up a term like "LED-based" is the mystery. One that should probably remain unsolved. Always happy to enlighten an underage dingus.
>>
>>2919450

How could I choose to make up a term if I didn't know what the LEDs in the TV were for, dumbfuck?
>>
Anyway, I'll start by getting one of those AV2HDMI upscalers, and if that doesn't help, I'll spend the extra money on a SCART cable and converter to HDMI.

/thread
>>
>>2920226
Because kids who don't know things make shit up. They do all kinds of stupid shit like arguing after they've already made a complete ass of themselves and should just stop..
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.