[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw no sourceport Seems like a great game but doesn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

File: Blood_logo.jpg (18KB, 291x350px) Image search: [Google]
Blood_logo.jpg
18KB, 291x350px
>tfw no sourceport
Seems like a great game but doesn't run so well for me in DosBox
>>
When is Atari going to die?
>>
>>2912528
Same
Bloody great game, it's such a shame
>>
>>2912558
And we get remakes and even new games for Shadow Warrior, which nobody ever asked for (they might be good, point is nobody could've known that)
>>
Anyone tried Blood CM?
>>
>>2912528
Runs perfectly in dosbox for me. Press "U" for mouselook and thats all you need.
>>
>>2912842
yeah I only figured this out today
>>
I got my dosbox version on piratebay and works fine for me. Came with all the episodes, extensions and Blood 2. I also played Blood CM and it's good, you should try that. I would like to play more games related to Blood, any suggestion would be gladly appreciated.
>>
>>2912842
>>2912865
You'll also want to download bmouse
>>
>>2912880
Yeah I have it, downloaded it before i discovered mouselook so haven't noticed the difference
>>
>>2912540
If Atari dies then blood will sink with it, i bet on it
>>
>>2912562
I honestly didn't like Shadow Warrior much at all so I never understood why that got a remake.

>>2912745
I hear it's a very poor substitute.

>>2913105
If Atari dies, either they'll sell off assets to cover their bankrupcy, or Blood becomes public domain.
Whichever happens means Atari no longer has an iron grip on it.
>>
>>2913115
>or Blood becomes public domain.
70 years after the death of the last producer.
>>
>>2912528
I remember guy recently had shit performance in Blood in Dosbox, solved the problem by changing to machine setting in the Dosbox config file. Unfortunately I'm not on my own PC right now (too fucken hot to go into the shed in which I live) so I can't look at my config. but I think the working option had something like 'no_fb' in it. You probably have the same problem so experiment with that setting.
>>
>>2913391
>machine=vesa_nolfb
This is the setting that worked.
>>
>>2913391
Have you tried setting the resolution to something like 320x200? Because that works for me.
>>
You guys should try this

http://www.gog.com/forum/blood_series/make_blood_run_1280x1024_resolution_smooth_did_you_know/page1

It didn't change anything for me but some people claim it does wonders.

Otherwise, try different dosbox settings. Depending on your system some settings might work better than others.

If that doesn't work your computer isn't good enough. Using a 2,5ghz dualcore I could only run the game smoothly at 320*200. With a 3,2ghz quadcore I can now run it at 800*600 (between 800*600 and higher makes little difference in Build games so it's all good).
However I heard the number of cores doesn't matter for DOSbox.
>>
>>2913115
If Atari dies and doesn't "sell" the rights to the game, it won't become public domain like.

Rights shenanigans will make it that another company will have the rights to these games one way or another.
Sometimes companies own stuff they don't even know they own, and I have a feeling that's what happened to Atari recently: only when they were reminded of Blood did they do something with it (releasing it on Steam).

However, so many people have expressed interest in doing something with the franchise that, if Atari dies, this won't be a problem and someone will acquire it.

Atari being known for dying every so and then, we'll just have to wait.
>>
>>2913115
>Blood becomes public domain
AHAHAHAHHA
Ever look at an abandonware site?
A lot of games are just lost in the limbo of copyright law but the company doesnt exist
>>
>>2913448
Some versions of Blood can be found on some "abandonware" sites, that doesn't mean anything.

Most of the time "Abandonware" doesn't exist and is just an excuse people give themselves for piracy.
>>
>>2913452
No, Strife was literally unavailable in any means other than resell by previous owners or piracy
>>
>>2912558
>>2912528

It's a later DOS game, so it doesn't really need a source port so much:

>can do higher resolutions
>can turn off auto-aim
>can turn on mouse aiming

You have to change some settings. Look up the details online and you'll see.
>>
File: almosttoogood_blood.png (670KB, 1279x720px) Image search: [Google]
almosttoogood_blood.png
670KB, 1279x720px
>>2913481
Yeah, exactly. Honestly the only advantage of a sourceport would be : true widescreen support, better mouse support, easier online support, advanced settings in the map editor. That, and people whose computer isn't up to date could play it at a higher resolution smoothly.

For that last point, I don't personaly have this problem.
for better mouse support, you can use bmouse in the original anyway; that and it's not even sure people would be satisfied with the mouse in a sourceport, I'm saying this because some people complain about the mouse in EDuke32, some others do in Megaton...
For true widescreen support and advanced stuff in the map editor, that's granted the sourceport would do that too. Megaton doesn't have any of that, for instance.

For online, it is possible to play it online but it's a pain. That and, again, Megaton has laggy online.

My point is, we can not take for granted that a sourceport would magically fix everything. It all depends on it's handled. If all we get is an official one like the ones DN3D and Shadow Warrior got, then not everything will be better. Not to mention those two official sourceports don't even support the original 8-bit 2.5D graphics anymore and use a true 3D engine which completely changes the games visuals and even gameplay to a small extent.

IF the sourcecode is released, we can get a quality sourceport, but that means dedicated fans doing a hard and lengthy job; and that should not be taken for granted either. Shadow Warrior has had his sourcecode available for YEARS and there is still no real quality sourceport for it. One of the makers of EDuke32 has started making one but since he's busy with other stuff it might take forever.

Blood has a community bigger than SW, SW's community is pretty much a handful of people while Blood's is maybe 3 times that; but it's still rather small.
>>
>>2913495
>but that means dedicated fans doing a hard and lengthy job
I dunno, I've frequented enough of the Blood community to see a good deal of them going for it
>>
>>2913498
I don't know. Lot's of people have shown interested in a sourceport for this game. Lot's of devs have shown interested in acquiring the rights to the franchise. Lot's of people are creating (shitty) remakes of the game.

But that doesn't mean any of them would be able to make a quality support; AND would take the time to do so. It's something else entirely.

For instance I know someone who runs a fanwebsite for Blood. It has a forum with very little activity. That guy who can some programming to some extent, but, without meaning any disrespect (he can do a lot more stuff than I in that regard) I don't think he would be able to make a sourceport.

Then, people who already show experience with the Build engine in that regard, are too busy with their current projects already.

So who's going to do it?
>>
>>2913495
>use a true 3D engine which completely changes the games visuals
only to an autist (see: NESfag)
>>
File: DOSbox.png (131KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
DOSbox.png
131KB, 800x600px
>>2913510
The Build engine has natural shading according to distance which is far from accurate in Megaton and Redux. That and everything looks washed out, colours aren't as vibrant; and true 3D makes sprite stick out, like you're playing paper mario. If the games had been developed for true 3D, I doubt they'd have used sprites.
>>
File: REDUX.png (2MB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
REDUX.png
2MB, 1680x1050px
>>2913510
>>2913523
>>
File: REDUX2.png (2MB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
REDUX2.png
2MB, 1680x1050px
>>2913523
>true 3D makes sprite stick out, like you're playing paper mario.

Especially when looking up or down. This isn't so much the case in the original.

Besides this can also influence gameplay, since true 3D makes you able to see further up or further down, in some situations you are able to see things you shouldn't be able to see, aim at enemies that should be off your FOV.
>>
>>2913523
>>2913524
>>2913528
like i said, autism. i'd still easily prefer playing SW at 1080p native widescreen and with the superior mouse aim that redux provides over dosbox.

in fairness however i can understand how being able to look down/up more with redux may trigger some autism even in me but w/e. it's still not enough for me to prefer not playing it with redux.
>>
>tfw the door kills you
>>
>>2913757
Yeah doors in Duke3D and Blood made me paranoid of all doors in games ever since.
>>
>>2913495
Don't forget the difficulty bugfix.
>>
>>2913507
I really enjoyed having Douk on my PS3, I would greatly enjoy having Blood on a similar setup.

Also Powerslave.
>>
I just want the Blood resources in WAD format so I can build new levels in doom builder, using all the sweet blood weapons and enemies and textures. and sounds.

Some of the weapons have already been ported over at realm 667, but I want all the enemies too!

>those cultists screaming at you and constantly shooting and throwing dynamite at you.
best enemy
>>
>>2914361
There's ZBlood, though it's pretty half-baked.
>>
>>2914361
>WAD format
Sadly, that's not going to work. Build engine is a pretty different beast than Doom engine
>>
>>2914361
>Blood resources in WAD format
Nah that'd be terrible. The Doom engine is very different than Build.
>>
>>2913105
It's no longer the dark ages anymore, dude. Just within the last few years people have stopped letting IPs die.

Fuck, we're getting SS3 for crying out loud. That should have been impossible. And EA is finally playing nice (they literally just gave Brian Fargo the rights to Bard's Tale)

>Still no FreeSpace 3 though.

>>2913495
You have a point. That engine was pretty good, honestly.

That being said it's gonna take enough of you guys getting pissed of and working on it to get this done.
>>
>>2913495
>>2913507
I really wouldn't put it beyond the Blood community to make a damn good source port, especially since they've been frothing at the mouth for a source code release for well over a decade. Hell releasing the code will undoubtedly create hype for the game and you'd end up getting many people returning to it with rejuvenated interest. I'd think that even those people busy with their own BUILD engine projects might even put their shit on hold to try and be the first person to create a Blood source port and have it as the standard one simply due to the glory of having created it. Then there's Jace Hall who's sitting on a near completed source port which ended up being shut down by Atari close to release - a source port he was planning to release for free.

I think just the fact that Blood has so many remake projects shows how vested the interests are in this game. Small-ish community maybe, but a very dedicated and passsionate community. If the source code was released I would expect there to be a damn good source port made within a month tops.
>>
>>2916047
How do you Jace Hall made anything? AFAIK it was just plans.

And yeah you're right, there are some people who made sourceports for DN3D who never took part in the "community", so the same thing might happen to Blood.

But it's just the case of Shadow Warrior that got me thinking.
>>
File: Capture.png (14KB, 644x140px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
14KB, 644x140px
>>2916053
>How do you Jace Hall made anything? AFAIK it was just plans.

At the time of pic related when Atari decided to shut him down he had been working on the source port for over a half a year. I think I remember hearing somewhere else that he was close to finishing it, too.

http://www.destructoid.com/atari-shuts-down-jace-hall-s-blood-re-release-245108.phtml
>>
>>2914430
>>2915016
You can do 90% of the things in blood with the doom engine. You could probably even do layered rooms if you were good enough. All you need is the sprites, textures, sounds and various AI behavior files translated into DECORATE
>>
>>2916073
I have just checked and, the first "ideas" posts from Jace Hall date from august 2012 while the post you showed date from february 2013.

All of Jace Hall's posts regarding the project date from august and at that point it was just a "gather idea" process; and then we have this post from february mentionning "time, effort and correspondance". So he may or may not have started something to show Atari during their little chat together, but for me nothing points out he's sitting on a "near complete build". Maybe he did something, maybe it was just plans, and the fact that he puts "correspondance" on the same level as the two other words, and the fact that he mentionned discussing the matter on several places at the same time in one of his posts, make me think most of it was just talking about the project, making plans.

Don't get me wrong, making plans is important. He's a pro, so it's even more important to him before starting any "real" work to know exactly what you want or where you're going.

>>2916082
If we were satisfied with bootleg remakes we wouldn't have this thread and we'd be playing BloodCM; though certainly not a recreation in Doom.
Even BloodCM, which uses the Build engine (and a version of it giving near infinite freedom), is very very far from being close to accurate to the original game.
>>
>>2914430
Well, with enough work you could probably churn out a passable approximate for ZDoom but it wouldn't quite be the same.

>>2915016
ZDoom lets Doom do a lot of things that Build would (though not necessarily in the exact same way).
Doom has come a long way since DeHacked patches.
>>
>>2916625
It still can't do nearly as advanced level geometry alterations as later versions of the build engine.
>>
>>2916629
Engine development stopped around 2010 iirc.
Devs of ZDoom seems to have completely abandoned their project long ago.
>>
>>2916667
What? It's still updated very often. There are several branches with advanced portals and shit being worked on by people that will get included once they're done. And then there's the "scripting branch" on the horizon that will allow much, much more advanced and convenient gameplay mods.

What's happened is that graf isn't adding more features to the hardware renderer, and that randi admittedly has been slacking off.
>>
>>2916629
Who cares? Having the resources would let me build new levels for blood. It would be fun. And it means I can harvest the weapons and enemies for other projects (I really need some cultists for the current project...)
>>
>>2916853
There's the blood TC for zdoom. You could just rip assets from that. Also, TheZombieKiller recently figured out how to convert blood's weapon animation files accurately.
>>
>>2912528
I remember having to fiddle around with the setup.exe settings to get Blood to work on DOSBox. I forget exactly what they were but I think they had something to do with sound.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.