[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Croc is Spoogy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 10

File: Croc.jpg (118KB, 800x798px) Image search: [Google]
Croc.jpg
118KB, 800x798px
The world in Croc feels weirdly empty. It's like a shell of the world of Spyro except uninhabited except for the little furry things Croc is rescuing. Playing it feels like playing emptiness.
>>
I wish someone would make a modern day game that captures this feeling. Maybe a horror game.
>>
>>2911919
croc is a horror game
>>
>>2911919
Surprisingly Epic Mickey feels that same way.
>>
Any more retro vidya that with worlds that feel unpopulated/sorta dead?
>>
File: nintendo 64 - super m ario.png (473KB, 1039x780px) Image search: [Google]
nintendo 64 - super m ario.png
473KB, 1039x780px
It's been a couple years since I have seen a thread like this on /vr/. Apparently, numerous 3D games of the era of the Nintendo 64 and the original Platstation invoked such feelings in the people who played them.
>>
wtf is with all the croc posts recently
>>
File: 1447624318488.jpg (312KB, 497x700px) Image search: [Google]
1447624318488.jpg
312KB, 497x700px
>>2912083
vr just found out about this game i guess. its not even too obscure, but it isnt doom or contra so the tryhards totally not normies have never heard of it.
>>
File: Kingsley.jpg (69KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Kingsley.jpg
69KB, 960x720px
>>2912067
I remember when I was young I played a demo of Kingsley's Adventure. I didn't find it that fun, I only remember it because the emptiness of the world and the music made me want to cry.

I also played Croc though and never got that feeling. I thought there was enough going on in each level to make it seem lively.
>>
>>2912119
>posts ZOAH
>does not allcap his post

FOR SHAME, ANON.
>>
>>2912139
Holy shit is that Kingsleys Adventure? I've been looking for that game for a decade after I rented it once from Video Ezy and they sold it the the next week, you're like a knight in that kingdom of foxes right?
>>
Was Croc 2 any good?
>>
>>2912203
I personally didn't like it. I was a big fan of the first but the level design and gimmicky levels didn't click with me with Croc 2. I might revisit the game now that I'm older and more experienced -- it could be good actually.
>>
>>2911908
Never felt this. I guess it the abstract level design of the game that evokes this though
>>
>>2912319
The music feels really generic too. It's not bad music. But there's something about the themes that feel so public domain in an alien way.
>>
Wow, I thought I was the only person with this issue.

The original Spyro always felt unsettling to me. No idea if it's the giant empty environments or the music, or a combination of both. Never fails to make me feel oddly anxious.

With Croc, the levels were more claustrophobic. It's not as strong, but there's still definitely a weird feeling to it. Notably in nighttime levels, for myself. Croc 2's high-contrast colors made a more comfortable experience.
>>
>>2912067
Pacman World. Despite the levels being linear and not open at all, it still had that weird feeling.
>>
>>2911919
Try out the The Talos Principle. It's a tough puzzle game with beautiful 3D environments that feel expansive but are actually pretty desolate and limited (which is a major plot point).
I got a strong sense of wanderlust playing through it, which is probably similar to the feelings of people in this thread.
>>
>>2912203
Actually, back then i enjoyed it a lot.
However, the last time i played that game i was like...11 or maybe 10 years old so, i can't remember it very well.

You should give it a try though.
>>
>>2912139
>I didn't find it that fun, I only remember it because the emptiness of the world and the music made me want to cry.
I remember liking it personally from my own small playthrough. It's no Alundra or Musashi, but it's still pretty decent for what it is.
>>
>>2912681
Funny thing is the PC release I played back in the day had no music at all. I still think its the only way to be played
>>
File: 420720-taz_mania_20_gs_.png (17KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
420720-taz_mania_20_gs_.png
17KB, 320x224px
https://youtu.be/vAgFPqsTAyw
I played Taz-Mania for the Sega Genesis all the time because I loved Taz, but it could feel unsettling at times.
The levels felt empty. It had few enemies per level and of little variety. The music and sound effects were weird. There could be long sections of just slowly jumping. And the few bosses were insultingly easy (you are invincible while spinning, and there was no time limit to do that). It was like playing an unfinished game.

The creepiest were the second factory level and the big tree level.
The factory level had no enemies, nor any sign of life, you just traversed a dangerous but fully functioning factory that was manufacturing what seemed to be killer robots for war (wich you don't fight or anything, they are just decoration) while lasers are thrown at you and annoying music plays non stop. It was an ACME factory, but still; it's like there was a story being neglected there.
The big tree level is nothing but jumping up from branch to branch for a long while, and the sound effect when you jump sounds like somebody saying "Wow".
And then there was the hard as shit mine cart level...
>>
>>2911908

That's something I appreciate in old games. Tomb Raider is a prime example of how that loneliness enhances the mood.
>>
>>2912067
Not a whole world but when you reach the top of Treasure Trove Cove in Banjo Kazooie the music suddendly stops. All you can hear is the wind blowing and the enemies. It can be weird the first time.
>>
File: Lightsout.png (68KB, 629x427px) Image search: [Google]
Lightsout.png
68KB, 629x427px
Half of Crash Bandicoot 1's levels have this.

Also, try to turn off the music. There's no background sound at all.
>>
So /vr/...

best version of Croc games?
>>
>>2913339

That game wasn't just "unfinished". It was half-assed. Nothing creepy about it.
>>
File: croc gbc.jpg (47KB, 500x499px) Image search: [Google]
croc gbc.jpg
47KB, 500x499px
>>2913393
Game Boy Color.
Croc 2 on the GBC was actually good.
>>
>>2913393
PC version, what else?
>>
I find in most cases where I feel that way, the game has environments with few or no animated background elements. It's also exacerbated if I can see texture seams as it breaks the illusion that I'm on grass or whatever and makes it feel like a painted skin stretched over a skeletal polygonal framework.
>>
>>2911983
>Epic Mickey is a collect-a-thon game with morality decisions, an attempt to recapture old concepts
>Features loving recreations of Disney Land/World objects and attractions
>Deep fuckin' story for a collect-a-thon
>Gets shit on by video game industry for being mediocre
What a shame. Feel so bad for Warren Spector.
>>
>>2913591
>you can see the sky box past the wall.
That's it, that's what kills the game for me.
It makes it so clear that it's just a corridor.
>>
>>2912203
Yes.

Though more gimmicky and definitely more cutesy, Croc 2 is fucking great and has lots of neat little ideas. Still sparse for a Collect-a-thon, but definitely a step in a good direction. Not the right one, but a good one.
>>
Croc is a classic. PC version is the best.
>>
>>2913339
I remember playing it once... and Tazs eyes started bleeding realistic looking blood... don't play any further the console said to me... leave now!
>>
>>2911908
shadow od the collossus if the only game of recent memory sadly that has made me feel this bizzare feeling of emptiness and wrong again.

emptiness is a theme devs do not explore often enough.
>>
so /vp/ what version should I go with? Sega Saturn or Ps1?
>>
>>2915168
either is fine, if you do the psx one though make sure it's 1.1 not 1.0 or whatever, graphical glitch where he's missing his head
>>
>>2915168
>/vp/
Step it up senpai
>>
File: Tiny_Tank_Coverart.png (136KB, 252x252px) Image search: [Google]
Tiny_Tank_Coverart.png
136KB, 252x252px
Croc is a piece of a shit of a game. Just terrible. If you want a good PS1 game that is at least a bit obscure, play Tiny Tank. It isn't amazing or anything, but it's better than bootleg headless yoshi. Not a platformer though.
>>
>>2912067
LSD Dream Emulator
>>
funny that you bring this up because as a kid this boss fight was like... weirdly terrifying

i dont even know why I guess its just because he immediately just starts running after you as you enter the door and never really stops doing so

idk like looking back on it boss fights were typically about understanding a programmed moveset back then but this one didn't really have moves it just fucking chased you down, it was kinda jarring
>>
>>2915179
I thought that only affected the Saturn version of the game..
>>
>>2915507
I still don't really get why the atmosphere of Croc weirds people out. I'm completely with anyone who thinks the later levels are lonely and unnerving, but the music is generally pretty light-hearted until then.

The only thing I felt from fighting Feeble was frustration, firstly because the hitboxes in Croc are weird, and it's really obvious with bosses, and secondly because unless you fell within a specific distance of him, he'd never run out of breath. Other than that, his theme is one of the best in the game, and anything but creepy.

https://youtu.be/WsK2BkBnxlo

Something I really like about Croc is that they don't rub the bosses in your face like many games do. Feeble is literally a rubber duck, but there's no attempt to break the 4th wall looking for your approval. They just throw in a bunch of silly things and wordplays, but don't draw any attention to it. Unlike the second game...
>>
>>2913402
I still think the second factory level was unsetling. An empty factory with laser gun security building tank mechas, who knows for who or for what, and all in Taz island with no interference. A whole game could be done with that premise.
Would've been nice if one of those mechas was a boss.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.