[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some western games well received in Japan? Pic related

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

File: image.png (105KB, 512x489px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
105KB, 512x489px
What are some western games well received in Japan? Pic related
>>
wizardry
>>
>>2911412
And Ultima and Might and Magic.

Suprisingly enough Lemmings 1 and 2 were released on the SFC. Neither Super Turrican nor The Lost Vikings managed to do that.
>>
Not retro, but I remember at least one of the Medal of Honor games being fairly popular in Japan, though they were basically playing a murder simulator of their fathers and grandfathers.
>>
Donkey Kong Country.

Also going by GameCenter CX, some western titles were cult games there, such as Prince of Persia, Another World (or Out of This World), Flashback or Battletoads
>>
Oh, and Spelunker is one that was a great success there
>>
>>2911504
Big Red One was really popular with the Japs iirc because it focused on the Pacific theatre. Easterners have no interest in Brits vs. Gerry
>>
File: latest[1].png (59KB, 310x282px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
59KB, 310x282px
>>2911409

Funny how a simple mockup of a western character can make it break through in Japan.

Japanese executives did have a point with those disgusting redneck teeth, though.
>>
>>2912631
What was wrong with his Teeth.
>>
How popular were Rare's games in Japan?
>>
>>2912753
goldeneye and pd were big enough to get mentioned in smash bros
>>
Would you believe Castles by Interplay was popular? It got ported to the PC-98, and then ported to the SFC as Super Castles(which is one of the few SNES mouse compatible games).

Populous was also popular enough to get the sequel on the SFC, and here in the US we only got the first game as a launch title.

Maxis's Sim games were popular, they got SimTown ported to the SFC, I don't think any other region did.
>>
>>2911424
>Neither Super Turrican nor The Lost Vikings managed to do that.
I'm pretty sure they got SFC localizations, unless you were talking about their sequels.
>>
>>2911504
FPS games are still fairly niche in Japan to the point where most of them have to be imported like GTA
>>
>>2914165
I'm pretty sure every GTA since III were localized in Japan.
>>
File: 4042_front.jpg (29KB, 500x512px) Image search: [Google]
4042_front.jpg
29KB, 500x512px
>>2914189
m8s, GTA1 was released in Japan.
>>
File: 4042_back.jpg (65KB, 577x512px) Image search: [Google]
4042_back.jpg
65KB, 577x512px
>>2914272
And the backside.
>>
Not technically related to OP's question, but since we're talking about Western games being released in Japan, you guys might enjoy this article about the Japanese translation of Banjo-Kazooie:

http://legendsoflocalization.com/how-was-banjo-kazooies-rhyming-text-handled-in-japanese/
>>
It was mentioned before, but definitely Wizardry. Japan loved it so much that Wizadry-likes are a super popular genre to this day in Japan.
>>
>>2912667

iirc, something about full-teeth smiles being aggressive in super-polite Japan. American Kirby is hardcore? Japanese Crash is more reserved.
>>
>>2914321
Interestingly Wizardry 3 was beat by Might and Magic 1 and Ultima 4 during a 1988 Comptiq poll regarding the imports.
>>
>>2912667

They are massive, cover half his face when his mouth is open.
>>
File: maniac.jpg (16KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
maniac.jpg
16KB, 480x360px
Though the golden age of point and click games went unnoticed in Japan (maybe because they already experimented with part of its formula), Maniac Mansion was well-ported for the NES and even adapted for the japanese market on Famicom.
>>
>>2914334
perhaps because Wiz was getting to be old hat with how 3 was basically the same still as 1 and 2?
>>
>>2914334
The Japanese loved old computer rpgs as a whole which would feed into making Dragon Quest
>>
How big was Crash in Japan? I know he didn't do horribly there but my understanding is that it did okay, but not great. This thread seems to indicate otherwise though.

I know Western CRPGs did pretty well in Japan, but outside of that I don't know much. Regarding consoles, what were the most successful Western games there?
>>
>>2917485
Comptiq didn't care about DQ that much even though it was on the MSX. Falcom games like Ys and Xanadu were the rage and stuff like Hydlide 3.
Strategy games were also huge, particularly Koei's stuff and Daisenryaku.
>>
>>2914273
GURAANDO SEFUTO AATO!!!!
>>
>>2911412

They sure fucked over that trademark over the years.
>>
>>2917526
I think crash 1 was the best selling western game in japan ever
>>
>>2919042

Crash 2 was, I think. It sold best out of the 3 titles in Europe and Japan, but not the US.
>>
Lode Runner
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.