[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Megadrive really obscure console in Japan?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 5

File: tumblr_m2beucVkV31rtpqgro1_500.jpg (132KB, 500x675px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m2beucVkV31rtpqgro1_500.jpg
132KB, 500x675px
Is Megadrive really obscure console in Japan?
>>
It sold like 4 million units to the Super Nintendo's 19 million. It's not Xbox tier, but Sega didn't have a really popular console in Japan until the Saturn. They killed it in arcades though.
>>
>>2911445
I have no idea what this means. Are posts like this really where /vr/ is at these days?
>>
>>2911404
Think of the Pc Engine in the west.
>>
>>2911535
Uh... so it sold, like, 0?
>>
>>2911535
>>2911540
No it's more like the GameCube in the west or the N64 in Japan. Not a failure but clearly not doing as well as its competition.
>>
>>2911404
one of their biggest mistakes was free advertising for nintendo products in their ads. they also came across as butthurt retards in most ads.
>>
>>2911546
It was a niche console for hardcore gamers aka nerds who loved sega arcades. I wasn't talking about units sold.
>>
>>2911404

Ironic as SNES has a fucking huge library of games...
>>
they should make ads like this now with the Wii U and the....oh.
>>
>>2911812
>1991
It was kinda right
>>
Why was american marketing so aggressive during the 90s?

Is it still like that today?
>>
>>2911565
Afaik only SEGA America did this shit.
>>
>>2911905
>Is it still like that today?
No. The advertising scene has adjusted to the general public turning into pussified, hugbox-seeking wannabes who need to handled gently and given false self-worth. If it isn't outright saying shit like "because you deserve it" it's at least bland and inoffensive.

The exception is catering to edgelords, but that's more because of underages being "nostalgic" about the 90s; that demographic can be easily manipulated into buying into manufactured popularity (re: Jonathan Taylor Thomas ever being popular), but it's easier to just go with the flow in general.
>>
>>2911905

the coke/pepsi battles in commercials were just as bad at the time.

i haven't seen people taking direct jabs at the competition as much anymore... probably because in the last 20 years the same few people started acquiring every corporate entity out there.
>>
I've heard that it's slowly starting to get recognition in Japan, not a lot, but certainly more than it initially had
>>
>>2911987
Nah, I bet it's because it's no longer considered effective. There's no obvious reason why it's not effective we can just work out here, billions and billions of dollars of research and testing has shown it doesn't work. I bet if you google "negative advertising" or whatever it's called that they'll say it's no longer believed to work. You see politicians do it a lot however, so maybe it does in some very limited contexts.
>>
>>2912045
>I bet it's because it's no longer considered effective
It's just forbidden by law.
>>
>>2912095
For some reason I doubt that, got a citation?
>>
>>2912142
He's bullshitting. Pepsi made Pepsi Max vs. Coke Zero ads just a couple of years ago.
>>
>>2912156
Not him, but that kind of ads have been banned in some countries for years, mine included. He probably just assumed it was the same for America.
>>
In Ireland and I believe UK they are legal but are still extremely rare. The only time I've seen them is in supermarket price wars. https://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-182026849.html Now that I've gone looking for it, I'm reminded that Ryanair and other cheap airlines do it also.
>>
>>2911910
They did acknowledge the PlayStation in early Dreamcast ads, but it was done in a self-deprecating way with kids mocking Sega in front of Mr. Yukawa.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRq9uuxeYZM
>>
>>2912227
They are legal as long as all parties agree to it.
>>
>>2912271
Okay man, glad if you got a little laugh from saying that but we're trying to be serious.
>>
>>2911446
Because you don't speak English. Fuck off back to niggerstan
>>
>>2912727

He does speak english, a bit broken, but he does.

He speaks at least one more language than you do.
>>
>>2911404
Yeah, it just didn't sell well there. I'd guess because PCE came out a little earlier and already filled the niche of "new 16 bit console for all your arcade experiences".

It's interesting how this situation was completely reversed with the saturn though, which sold terribly in the west but did quite well in japan (even beating out the N64 there)
>>
File: 1395129306783.png (102KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1395129306783.png
102KB, 512x512px
>>2911445
Uh no there are large portions of the African population that speak English

>>2911404
>SIMCITY
Somehow that being the only visible title on the stack really makes it hit home. Too bad Sega is/was terrible

I wish there were more Sega arcade games in the states, though, they're good at that
>>
>>2912772
The Genesis didn't have a strong ad campaign and nation-tailored lineup in Japan like it did in America.

The Saturn in Japan had a very successful ad campaign (Segata Sanshiro will fuck your shit up if you don't play Saturn) and a large library of RPGs and shmups that the N64 didn't.
>>
>>2911404
Number of Sega Genesis units sold worldwide: 30.75 million
Number of Sega Genesis (shut up, I know) units sold in Japan: 4.3 million

Number of Snes units sold worldwide: 49.10 million.
Number of Snes units sold in japan: 17.17 million.

That's your answer, OP.
>>
>>2913024
>Number of Sega Genesis units sold worldwide: 30.75 million
Citation fucking needed. Pretty sure that number doesn't count South America too.
>>
>>2912830
>The Saturn in Japan had a very successful ad campaign (Segata Sanshiro will fuck your shit up if you don't play Saturn) and a large library of RPGs and shmups that the N64 didn't.
The Japaneses were also pretty crazy over Virtua Fighter back in the mid-90s, which helped pushed the console over there. It was as big as Street Fighter II back in the day.
>>
>>2913028
Found the Sega fanboy.

Son, your company is dead and buried. It's time to move on.
>>
>>2913032
Japan was doing great until Sega of America fucked up everything.
>>
>>2913034
No I think those numbers are inaccurate. Not everyone is a fanboy, there's no need to project.
>>
>>2913037
> Whines about numbers not being accurte
> Doesn't provide a "correct" number on his own.

Son, if you complain about numbers but cannae produce a "correct" figure with sources and all, I am calling butthurt fanboy, deal with it.
>>
>>2913032
Also consider that the Saturn had shit loads of absolutely great arcade conversations, tons of VNs and mah-jong games, and a shit load of high quality sports games.

>>2913035
>Japan was doing great until Sega of America fucked up everything.

Sega was doing godawful in Japan in anywhere outside the arcades. Their only successful console in Japan was the Saturn.

And Sega of America pretty much made the Genesis the most successful sega console ever.
>>
>>2913028
Nigga, who would count Chinese clones?
>>
>>2913065
>I speak a dozen languages.

Sure you do
>>
>>2913071
>brazil is owned by china
You are correct.
>>
>>2913085
>i project a lot

You sure do
>>
>>2913098

TecToy's consoles were actually chinese clones, and the "games" were cheap local hacks of old Sega games.

Not sure if they should count or not since these weren't really Genesis consoles and games.
>>
>>2911404
I think it had way less Manga/Anime licensed games than the SFC.

Right now I can remember licensed games such as Dragon Ball, Doraemon, Slam Dunk, Mamono Hunter Yoko, YuYuHakusho, Nadia, and... that it on my list.

Meanwhile, the SFC was fucking swimming on licenses.
>>
>>2913182
And the great majority of those titles were mediocre at best.
>>
>>2913202
The SFC had heavy licenses such as Macross, Dragon Ball Z, Magic Knight Rayearth, Slayers, 3x3 Eyes, Patlabor, Captain Tsubasa and Mazinger Z.

Their games were ranging from awesome (Macross) to decent enough. (The rest)

The only truly good licensed game I can remember on the Genesis was Yu Yu Hakusho, which wa sprogrammed by Treasure and was fucking awesome.
>>
>>2913206
>>2913182
On the subject of regional game releases on the SNES/SFC...

PAL countries never got the following games according to wikipedia:

The 7th Saga
Aero Fighters
Aerobiz Supersonic
Brandish
Breath of Fire
Chrono Trigger
Civilization
E.V.O.: Search for Eden
EarthBound
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III
Final Fight Guy
Gradius III
The Ignition Factor
Kirby's Dream Land 3
Metal Warriors
Mickey's Ultimate Challenge
Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra
Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen
Robotrek
Romance of the Three Kingdoms II-IV
Sonic Blast Man II
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Ultima VI and VII
Uncharted Waters and it's sequel
Wizardry V
Ys III

While PAL countries did get the following games that didn't get a NA release:

Asterix & Obelix
Cannon Fodder
Four Bandai DBZ fighting games
The Humans
Micro Machines 2: Turbo Tournament
Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World
Parodius: Non-Sense Fantasy
Pop'n TwinBee and the sequel
Powermonger
Super Bomberman 3
Terranigma
Theme Park
Worms

Might and Magic 2 and 3 stick out to me. PAL gets 2, but not 3, and NA gets 3 but not 2. Go figure.
>>
>>2913182
I think the Sega had at least one game from each of those franchises, but it as a general rule had far fewer licensed games of manga than the SNES or Turbografx.
>>
>>2913102

>lying on the internet
>>
>>2913210
The names I listed there were licensed games on the Genesis.
In fact, they had a few licensed that the SFC didn't got, such as Nadia and Mamono Hunter Yoko. (The games sucked though.)
>>
>>2913213
You really think someone would do that?
>>
>>2913209
Yes it's true. But we have Dragon Ball Z and Ranma 1/2
>>
>>2912192
Oh yeah, I heard about that with the German elections (not sure if you are from there or not). The ads are only sort of vaguely negative, where in the US you can basically say whatever you want.

Article also said how the amount of advertising spent on elections was much, much lower. Like, US campaign manager asks German campaign manager how much they spent on advertising, and when they get the response asks if that's per-week (when it was in fact their total ad budget).

Must be nice to not be bombarded by stupid mudraking at almost every turn for a few months of each leap year.
>>
The PC Engine was the SNES rival in Japan,the Mega Drive was the Sega console with the lowest sales there.
>>
>>2914182
>the Mega Drive was the Sega console with the lowest sales there.
I'm sure it did better than the SG-1000 and Mark III/Master System.
>>
>>2911565
It wasn't a mistake, by the end of the generation Genesis was selling better than SNES.
>>
>>2914383
I think he meant in terms of contemporaries.
>>
>>2911540
The PC Engine outsold the Famicom for a short period.
>>
File: tom.png (1MB, 711x877px) Image search: [Google]
tom.png
1MB, 711x877px
>>2911565
>>2911905
>>2911910
>>2913034

>pic related continues to trigger nintenbabbies more than 20 years later.
>>
>>2911812
Genesis came out 2 years before SNES in the US, this ad was applicable when the SNES was still new
>>
File: badass-segata.jpg (44KB, 279x350px) Image search: [Google]
badass-segata.jpg
44KB, 279x350px
>>2914550

Why would Nintendo fans be triggered by an american businessman that's not even relevant anymore?
I'm a Sega fan since the 80s and I'm not american, and I hate that cunt and the cult surrounded around him hyped by americans who read up some interviews with him trash-talking SoJ.

All he did was bundle Sonic with the Genesis. Good job Kalinske you made Sonic very popular in the US, but it's not like Sega as a whole succeeded because of him, and if it did, it was only in America, Sega was already popular in Europe and South America.
>>
>>2914528
In America? That's what I was talking about.
>>
>>2914720

He did way more than that though. Like going full blast with their edgy marketing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS2rWbPYOlQ
>>
>>2913213
>being monolingual on the internet
Millions of Americans do it every day so it can't be all that bad
>>
Anyone really interested in the Sega vs. Nintendo of the 90s could do worse than reading the book Console Wars.

I'm about 3/4 through it now and it covers pretty much every topic I see in this thread. It feels a little Sega-biased at times in the way some events are framed, but actual facts are presented accurately.
>>
>>2914761
> Playing Game Gear under broad sunlight.

HAHAHA, WHAT? Niga, whoever had the fucking disgrace of owning that fucking battery moneydrain knows that the Game gear had fucking ZERO visibility under sunlight, or any other light to be honest.
>>
>>2916639
>i am a faggot and accept complete responsibility for my actions
>>
File: post-2841-1092699486.jpg (47KB, 428x611px) Image search: [Google]
post-2841-1092699486.jpg
47KB, 428x611px
>>2911404
Not as obscure as the Atari Jaguar

>What were they thinking???
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.