[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cool Vidya Secrets

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 3

File: gauntlets.jpg (17KB, 487x271px) Image search: [Google]
gauntlets.jpg
17KB, 487x271px
Thread for crazy secrets in retro games. Hopefully more things like pic related where the secret itself has you do something nearly game breaking to find.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjj8Qjff80U
>>
>>2910535
goddamn bottle adventure.
>>
That said, bottle adventure and RBA basically let you do anything...it's not quite "secrets" anymore when using bottle adventure...moreso just sort of writing whatever the fuck you want into memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjlyi-Ie3Us

that said, check out ass chest.
>>
>>2910535
var beam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3_nHFhTq6g
>>
>>2910535

Fake and gay.
>>
>>2910994
nah it's real.

If you use RBA to put weird values into the gauntlet slot as adult link without a goron's bracelet, it causes weird color changes.

here's a tutorial for how to use RBA...it's fucking complicated, but whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkcRyOzMMCI
>>
>>2911002

You shouldn't respond seriously to shitposting, gentle sir. Bad habit.
>>
>>2910535

>your friends think you are a badass

Believe me, if this is so important to you that you do this in your spare time I am pretty sure you have no friends
Stills cool
>>
>>2911009
eh, it was an opportunity to post more useful information and keep a thread with a decent topic from getting buried by threads I don't particularly give a shit about.

now you have a full tutorial for RBA instead of OP's abbreviated one.

here, while we're at it, have a full tutorial for heart container duplication through exploitation of load triggers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruDwBfCHQLQ
>>
>>2910535

Change your clothes in front of the Gerudo woman who gives you your pass, and her clothes will change too.
>>
File: CVAljiba.gif (55KB, 598x224px) Image search: [Google]
CVAljiba.gif
55KB, 598x224px
Some minor secrets from Rondo, on the first level you can read the sign at the beginning if you press up on it. It says the town's name, Aljiba, which is the same town from Simon's Quest.

Also if you don't enter any name for your game file, it will automatically change to Richter on file 1, Maria on file 2 and Dracula on file 3.
>>
>>2910994
They even left it in the 3ds version, look it up. But that's not vr so whatever.
>>
I don't get something. He says the color corresponds to which strength upgrade you get, but it's impossible to not have the Goron's Bracelet and have the Zora's Scale unless you glitched into Zora's Domain.

He should have explained that for clarity. Otherwise, you'll never see the Black Gauntlets.
>>
>>2910535
Meh it's a graphical glitch not a secret. My guess is that some palette value gets overwritten in ram.
>>
>>2911609
Again, see >>2911338

Even if it is a glitch it still could be a secret if it isn't common knowledge.
>>
>>2910535
how do people come up with this stuff?
>>
>>2911932
glitch != secret
A secret is something put in there by the designers. A glitch is an oversight by the designers.
>>
>>2912016
again, >>2911338
I don't think it was entirely unintended to be left in due to that, even if the way to access it is "glitchy". While it is also not vr, Metroid Fusion had something similar with how you could sequence break with shine sparks and get a secret message for it.
>>
>>2912140
You're overwriting code.
I guarantee it was something the developers missed.
The shine spark thing is an actual secret though.
>>
>>2911598
wait, you're saying people in 2016 still do the child dungeons in natural order?
>>
>>2912213
Jesus senpai look up what i keep telling you to they left it in the 3ds version which they rebuilt all over again. It wasn't just a port like the gamecube version. And they fixed other bugs and glitches in the 3ds version.
>>
>>2913378
They didn't fix every bug. This one is so obscure that there's a good chance they didn't even know it existed.

Also they didn't rebuilt 3ds version from the ground up.
If you think this was something the developers left in on purpose for gamers to find, you're a special kind of stupid.
>>
>>2913410

OOT3D isn't a port, it was programmed from the ground up, but trying to be as close to the original as possible. They talk about it on the iwata asks interview with Grezzo, where they also say they included a lot of the game's glitches on purpose.
>>
>>2913946
I doubt they're telling the truth.
>>
>>2913946
They included a lot of the game's glitches because they included a lot of the game's code.
>>
If you hit the goal in smb at 9,3 or 1 at the end you get fireworks

FIREWORKS!
>>
>>2911195
That's really neat
>>
>>2914208
>>2914316

Well, it's the word of the developers against the word of some anons, I'll trust the developers for now unless you can provide proof.
>>
>>2914387
Well seeing as I've looked at the code for both (while doing some rom hacking) and about 60% of the code is the same I'm sure the developers are full of shit.
The only large swaths that were changed were for the camera, music and visuals (probably to accommodate the 3d).
>>
>>2914425
Third guy here. Well seeing as your provided no proof I'm inclined to believe the anon above you.
>camera
>music
>visuals
Oh come on. Did you play OoT3D? The game has a ton of physics adjustments, and obvious perks and kinks from coding being overlooked or fixed. Probably, because it is as they said and they remade the game.
>Kojiro doesn't crow when you enter the woods.
>Poes, except the sisters, can no longer be uncloaked with Deku Nuts.
>ReDeads are much more likely to attack you in town now, while in the original you could walk right past them.
>Stalbabies now keep growing so it's possible to reach a triple-sized one before sunrise with ease. In the original you could only get a triple-sized if you used Deku Sticks.
Etc.
>>
>>2914548
>physics adjustments
such as?
>>
>Cosmo's youtube
RIP Cosmo
>>
>>2913378
Gamecube version was an emulation.
3ds version was a port.
that said, these are bugs, and not something "intentionally left" in the game code. there aren't specific textures for things like the gauntlets and the tunics, they're actually being colored in by the engine, and by fucking around with the code via stuff like RBA, you can fuck up the color values that get assigned to them.
>>
>>2913946
>it was programmed from the ground up, but trying to be as close to the original as possible
So close, that even some of the original models, including unused stuff, was left in the "remake!"
>>
>>2914603

source?
>>
>>2914712
https://tcrf.net/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Ocarina_of_Time_3D
>>
>>2914554
When you're in the Water Temple, in the giant pool room with the Tektites, the water now affects the way the water exerts on you. Meaning, you now have to go through it by swimming up and and down through the water while avoiding the Tektites. In the original, vortexes only pulled you if you were right next to them.

Also, you can no longer bomb-boost.

Link no longer gets hurt when you jump from the chains on the bridge to the bottom after getting the two red rupees (or the one if you jump from the left).

When you get hit by the club moblin while wearing the hover boots, in the original you still get pulled back even as you stand up. In OoT3D they fixed this I'm pretty sure.

You could burn the web in the Deku Tree as you tore through it in original OoT.

Gossip Stones no longer blow up in the sky. They just disappear.
>>
>>2914802
not a single one of those is physics.
>>
>>2914813
Sure.
>>
>>2914816
Well, you've already demonstrated several times that you don't know what you're talking about, so if you want to believe, go right ahead.
>>
>>2913378
Calling people senpai = gay weeaboo giveaway.
>>
>>2914832
I'm pretty sure it's a filter f.a.m.
>>
>>2914802
>the water now affects the way the water exerts on you.
I don't know what is meant by this
>Also, you can no longer bomb-boost.
Not physics.
>Link no longer gets hurt when you jump from the chains on the bridge to the bottom after getting the two red rupees (or the one if you jump from the left).
Not physics.
>When you get hit by the club moblin while wearing the hover boots, in the original you still get pulled back even as you stand up. In OoT3D they fixed this I'm pretty sure.
Not physics.
>You could burn the web in the Deku Tree as you tore through it in original OoT.
Not physics.
>Gossip Stones no longer blow up in the sky. They just disappear.
Not physics.
>>
>>2914802
Other examples of them updating the physics:

They changed all the textures.

They added a second pond.

They updated the way you change items.
>>
>>2914862
>i failed every physics class i ever took
>>
>>2914579
leave narcissa alone
>>
>>2914884
You must be thinking of thermo dynamics not physics.
>>
>>2914802
My biggest gripe is the claw marks missing on the tree in Hylian lake.

It was very thematic.
>>
>>2913946
>they also say they included a lot of the game's glitches on purpose.

Oh bullshit. If you know how to perform glitches in both games you'd know that the bugs weren't left in "on purpose".

For example, pokey escape works in both games, but has a different methodology in 3DS because they patched how recoil from a crouch stab works, but didn't actually patch the clipping issue with the kokiri kid.

ISG still exists in 3D, even though they made obvious attempts to patch the original method of getting it.

Ocarina items is still possible, again, with a different methodology.

DOT skip was intentionally patched by making the door of time wider.

It's VERY obvious that they were using the same engine and tried to patch all known problems with it. Their failure to adequately patch them exposes the underlying issues in the engine itself, which is largely the same, as it exhibits the same flaws, albeit the actual methods for exploiting these flaws is different due to the inadequate bug fixes applied by the dev team.
>>
Jesus, is there a game that has been more analyzed and broken down to a T than OoT?
>>
>>2915514
Super Mario Bros?
>>
>>2915514
Morrowind maybe...
Then again, it's major source of keks is basically
>glitch stats
>go fast
>fuck collision detection

Super Metroid is probably just as well autismo'd as OOT.
Most of it's non-out of bounds tricks are frame perfect shit, like short-charging, that one moch-ball in brinstar, or damage boosting. Speed running and glitching are traditionally part of metroid's community in general though ever since secret worlds and the variable endings of M1, so figuring out retarded shit for metroids has always been a thing.

It's out of bounds tricks are on par with OOT's bottle adventure or wrong warp in terms of what they do to memory:
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIUc1K-Oomg

If you want to stick your dick in crazy, bear in mind that pokemon has an arbitrary code execution bug that can do...well, anything you can write code for.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWa5GPb9fw8
>>
>>2914813

It's physics in a game design sense.

Christ, a guy actually takes the time to construct an interesting post with cool information and you people still get mad. I guess you would prefer it if he called someone a cuck, huh?
>>
>>2913410
>>2913946
if it helps the black glitch gauntlets are now purple glitch gauntlets. i am pretty sure they knew enough about it to change textures.
>>
>>2915820
this actually, there is interesting information here, but people would rather argue over semantics and shit, i thought i was on vr, but maybe i stumbled onto v instead.
>>
>>2915820
>Christ, a guy actually takes the time to construct an interesting post with cool information and you people still get mad.
Because he's wrong. The game isn't a remake, it's a port.
>>
>>2916458
The textures for the tunics and metal parts of the gauntlets are literally grayscale textures that are colored in with RGB values by the game engine.

They didn't change any texture, (well, they did because of the port's graphics upgrade, but that's beside the point, the gam still uses a grayscale texture.) the port and the accompanied inadequate bug fixes caused changes in what values are altered in memory when performing glitches, resulting in different colors.
>>
>>2916471
well look at this ladies and gentlemen i guess iwata never actually died afterall, because he is here in this thread.
>>
>>2916487
More fun facts: Each console LoZ since OoT has been built using a modified Mario engine

OoT/MM->Modded SM64
WW/TP->Modded SMS

Dunno if the trend continued with SS though, if it did It'd prolly be built off of the Galaxy engine
>>
>>2916641
IIRC some bugs/speedrun tricks that are in TWW and TP are also in SS, so my guess is that SS is still using the modded SMS engine.
>>
>>2916641
Incorrect.
OoT > Modded SM64
MM > Slightly modded OoT
SMS > Modded SM64
WW > Modded OoT
TP > Modded WW

It's obvious as hell
>>
>>2916719
b-but, iwata san said >>2916641
how could he lie with such bullshit confidence?
>>
>>2916719

Nah, I don't believe that for a fuckin' minute, boyo. The hardware (and how it's utilized) is much, much different between an N64 and a 'cube. It would have been faster to write a new engine from scratch at that point than port, even if it _is_ written in C/C++.
>>
>>2917890
but they had already ported it anyway for the master quest shit
>>
>>2917902

Nope. Emulated.
>>
>>2917919
you sound like you don't really understand that a port can be an emulation. next time you think you learn something from hitting random wikipedia articles maybe just give it a second check instead of shitposting here.
>>
>>2917926

If you're emulating something, it's not a fucking port and you sure as hell don't want to use the result as the basis of an engine for your two flagship series'. That'd be like taking Blood (the BUILD fps), bundling it with DOSBox, and trying to use that as a basis to create the engine for Blood II: the code has not been changed, fucko. You're just insulating it from platform differences so it won't pitch a shitfit and crash horribly.

Same with the 'cube version of OOT: that's still C code designed to run on an N64. The only thing they did was package a custom-built emulator on the disc to insulate it from the fact it was actually running on a GCN.

That answer you a little better, you smug little cuntrag?
>>
>>2916641
LoZ itself was written on a modified SMB engine iirc.
>>
>>2916669
isn't every nintendo console since the GCN basically a GCN + more RAM + a gimmick?

if that's the case, it wouldn't surprise me if they're still using SMS.
>>
>>2914856
baka desu senpai
>>
>>2917932
well i don't need to resort to namecalling to get my point across, but take a look at a similarly long running series, metal gear solid.

metal gear solid 3's engine was reused several times after it was made. it was a ps2 game, the engine was reused for the psp game, portable ops. this modified engine was later reused in peace walker. and even later reused to actually remake mgs3 for the 3ds. still on the original engine although so heavily modifed it hardly resembles itself at all anymore.

so yes, engines are used from one system to another, simply upgraded to keep up with current technology the best they can, or add new features not present in the older game.

did you pick that all up the first time? good.
>>
>>2917940
unfortunately yes. nintendo seems to be completely satisfied resting on its laurels rather than further innovating. only time will tell if the nx will be another gimmick ridden gamecube+ or if it will finally catch them up in time for the 9th gen systems.
>>
>>2917940
>>2918812

That's a really simplified view of the consoles and their hardware. I suggest you gain a better knowledge of hardware before you go saying things like "it's just a gamecube with more ram!"
>>
>>2917937

Source? I've never heard this before. I'd also like a source on the claim that SMS's engine was used to make Wind Waker. Otherwise I don't believe you guys and I encourage you to look up sources to include with your posts from now on to help benefit our community and stimulate quality discussion.
>>
>>2916467
>The game isn't a remake, it's a port.

Why isn't it a remake? Genuinely curious. They remade a lot of the graphics and a lot of the game engine's code. Sounds like a remake to me.
>>
>>2917890
>>2917902

They ported Perfect Dark to the Xbox 360 and it's not emulated. Also, Conker's Bad Fur Day to the Xbox.
>>
>>2919150
It is, it's just some faggots like to pretend they are the jimmy neutron boy geniuses of the internet. who must debate every little thing.
>>
>>2919154
>Conker's Bad Fur Day
>Xbox
You sound confused son
>>
>>2912140
>I don't think it was entirely unintended to be left in

Are you high on crack? Do you really think they found that shit in testing? It took a decade for autistic speedrunners to find it. Cosmo (or whatever he/she/it call itself now) has likely spent more time playing OoT than the entire development team spent making it.

For fucks sake dude, how can you be that dumb? Holy fucking shit.
>>
>>2914548
>third guy here

Suuuure
>>
File: dog.jpg (31KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
dog.jpg
31KB, 480x360px
Not exactly an obscure secret but you can turn the ref into a dog in ISS Deluxe (and ISS as far as I know).
This always made me chuckle
>>
>>2917984
what the fuck is that gibberish
>>
>>2919429

They ported it to the Xbox as Live and Reloaded. I think you're the one who is confused.
>>
>>2919653
baka
>>
>>2920106
ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER DO YOU SPEAK IT
>>
>>2920265

Take it to Dead Nigger Storage, El.
>>
>>2918806

You have no idea how different those two scenarios you just quoted me are from a dev. standpoint.
>>
>>2920265
何言ってんだよ、ボケ。

waito piggu go home
>>
>>2919653
"(it) is stupid, superior".
>>
>>2919730
They did a remake for the xbox called that. You're the one who's confused. Have you even been reading the thread?
Thread posts: 90
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.