[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>This is a Public Service Announcement: If you play ANYTHING

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 8

>This is a Public Service Announcement:

If you play ANYTHING other than pure, uncut/unmodded Doom (the way the designers intended) You, yes, YOU are fucking casual scum and have no right to enjoy Doom. That is all.

>This has been a Public Service Announcement, thank you for your attention.
>>
>>2910518
That's a nice, hot, steaming pile of shit opinion you got there, OP.
>>
>>2910518
>>>/v/
>>
>>2910518
The designers intended and supported mods and the base game is just that, the base game.
Not only are you factually incorrect but functionally retarded, good job OP.
>>
>>2910518
Played Doom when it came out, definitely like to play with the mouse more now. Enjoy being underage or low T OP
>>
File: doom babby.png (151KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
doom babby.png
151KB, 400x400px
>>
>>2910518
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-05-04-id-software-planned-to-pay-mod-makers-in-1995
>>
>>2910518
>playing a 35fps game
>>
>>2910518
Your opinion is a little extreme, but i do agree that it is the best way to enjoy this game, and others.
>>
the designers never would have released the source code if they "intended" for it to only be played in its original form. fag.
>>
>>2910518

>blah blah blah I'm a huge fucking autistic blah
>>
>>2910518
that pic's Doom 2, you nob.
>>>2907693
>>
>>2910518
So.... are we allowed to play new levels?

Do you just not like gameplay mods or something?
>>
The Doom level format was specifically designed to make it easy for players to modify.
>>
File: motie.png (312KB, 524x496px) Image search: [Google]
motie.png
312KB, 524x496px
>All these fags taking this blatantly obvious bait.
>>
File: purists BTFO.png (26KB, 582x586px) Image search: [Google]
purists BTFO.png
26KB, 582x586px
But OP, the designers intended the game to be modified. What now?
>>
File: 1345125618499.png (53KB, 169x172px) Image search: [Google]
1345125618499.png
53KB, 169x172px
>>2910518

>implying Zdoom isn't the best way to play DOOM

whatever faggot. I played this shit for the first time in 1995 and still love it more in Zdoom. Get over it.
>>
>Carmack literally released the sourcecode of doom just so people could do whatever they wanted with it.
>People hating on Carmack's wisest choice.
>2016
This is now a dubs thread
>>
File: LITERALLY.jpg (18KB, 264x300px) Image search: [Google]
LITERALLY.jpg
18KB, 264x300px
>>2910987

CHECK EM
>>
>>2910518

As long as I can at least use a decent MIDI module. I can deal with the default Microsoft one, but I've read that's not the pure sound of Doom music. It uses something else.

But fuck that. I'd preferably use a Yamaha one that I heard on Youtube. That made the music so dank.
>>
>>2910987

As someone who normally despises Carmack and all who worship him, I can agree with this. Releasing the source code (and believing in open source in general) are some of his only redeeming traits.
>>
>>2911012

Alright then, what's wrong with Carmack? Does it have to do with his personality, programming, or business decisions?
>>
>>2911049

No, his programming is unmatched. It's his personality and business decisions.
>>
>>2911070
What did he do exactly that got him a bad rep?
>>
Why did this thread get this many replies /vr/ ?
>>
>>2911074

Well, for one he managed to drive off every founding member of iD with his fucking autism and inability to handle the fact that they needed him to keep their edge. Instead of recognizing that he wielded disproportionate power (and backing off to let the other legs of the famous Carmack-Romero-Hall tripod work their magic) he systematically retaliated whenever their creativity didn't jive with whatever programming jag he was currently on., first driving off Hall and then Romero.

I mean, for fuck's sake, this is a man who:

1. Had to nearly be held at gunpoint to add secret walls to Wolfenstein.

2. Thought nothing of disappearing for three weeks down the asshole of Florida somewhere in a motel to write one of the Quake engines (he told no one where the fuck he was, he's the head of the company at this time).

3. Decided at one point than "maximum efficiency" could only be achieved among his employees at iD by pitting their weekly performance against each other "Deathmatch Style". People _were_ fired over this, office morale plummeted (gee, I wonder why?).

4. Is a staunch advocate of the "objectivist philosophy". I have never met a self-proclaimed objectivist who was not an exploitative piece of hypocritical shit, much like its original founder Ayn Rand.

5. Likes Diet Coke. Who the fuck likes Diet Coke? Only goddamn aliens, that's who.
>>
>>2910518
Stop acting all high and mighty. You weren't even conceived by the time this game got the $1.99 bargain bin. Those of us who were around when this was new literally have gray beards now.
>>
File: cooking_up_some_trouble.png (595KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
cooking_up_some_trouble.png
595KB, 800x600px
>>2910518
K
>>
Amen
>>
>>2911101
Were you an employee at id or are you retelling things you weren't even part of?
It's easy to put the blame on him as he was id's technical heart. Their greatness was a concerted effort and without any part of the formula(Carmack/both, Romero, Cloud, McGee, ...) the wonder of id would have never happened. Same with their problems. Everybody has their good and bad sides - none can exist without the other so blaming all on one person, who seems to be a work horse and small scale genius, is kinda childish.
Enjoy their efforts from their peak times and forget these inane battles none of us has witnessed first hand.
>>
>>2910547
>The designers intended and supported mods and the base game is just that, the base game.
Proof of that? The engine's versatile, because it was written generic, with the intention to be licensed. But Doom itself? I don't know, so someone can probably tell me, when id themselves provided the first editor; they did provide one eventually, right? I don't think there's been any official mechanics editors (that is, stuff in the executable, not the wad), and the engine has been open sourced after id migrated their licensing to a different engine. As an inevitable side effect of open sourching the engine, the "game" is moddable, in the sense that people swap out the executable and rely on data file compatibility. That is, the actual game has, as far as I am aware, no plugin hooks, no modular structure, nothing pointing at a modding intent.
>>
>>2910518
>not playing with Smooth Doom
>>
>>2911850
>That is, the actual game has, as far as I am aware, no plugin hooks, no modular structure, nothing pointing at a modding intent.

Not him, but the modding scene was very different in Doom's days than it is now. People doing the modding were already heavily into programming. A game being as easy to alter as Doom was taken as a sign that it was intended to have people modding it.
>>
>>2911860
It kinda makes some weapons lack impact.
>>
>>2911871
that would make every game of the time "intended to have people modding it", because encrypting and signing was not a thing, and binary data was often in simple or known formats, and hence straightforward to swap out.
I consider a game moddable when the developer makes active steps towards supporting modding, be it in the structure of the game itself (plugin or module architecture), by providing tools, or by providing documentation of file formats
>>
>>2911882
>I consider a game moddable
Bad wording. I should have said I consider a game to be moddable per intention of the developers, if .... Of course a game is moddable if people mod it, regardless of intent.
>>
>>2911882
I've never really been into modding personally so this is second hand, but I do remember from some of my techy friends that Doom was one of the easier games to mod if that was what you wanted to get into. My understanding wast that Id developed it that way on purpose and that they liked people doing it because it only made the game more popular.

But like I say, this is like 20 year old second hand information that I was never paying a ton of attention to in the first place.
>>
>>2911873
How does it do that? All it does is add more frames to their animations.
>>
File: PSXDoomBoxArt.jpg (350KB, 999x1454px) Image search: [Google]
PSXDoomBoxArt.jpg
350KB, 999x1454px
Best doom ps1 Coop with multitap
>>
>>2912117
Those were the days - I remember playing it at a buddies house and we always were "ok, ok - only one more map"... until we had played through all of it.
>>
>>2911850
>>2911882

"The hacking that went on in wolfenstein was unexpected, but based on that, DOOM was designed from the beginning to be modified by the user community."
http://slashdot.org/story/99/10/15/1012230/john-carmack-answers

I'm a pleb who's never played Doom besides a tiny flash game based off it, and even I know this. IIRC, the whole WAD structure was created so that it would be easy to modify it without breaking the game.
>>
>>2912141
I miss those days man. Now its all online call of duty bullshit.
>>
>>2910518
Say whatever you like about Doom. But Romero is a fucking cunt.

Reading that book made both of those guys seem like nothing other than selfish fucking pricks.
>>
>>2910518
Silly
>>
Would the PS3 port be the best way to introduce consolefag friends to Doom?
>>
>>2912787
The XBLA port is godly, and the PS3 version is a port of that so I'd say yes. I've played many, many hours of split-screen over the past 5 years.
>>
>>2910518
>being a jizz gobbling fag

>>2910565
Nice to see you're still desperately trying to force your meme.
Maybe if you make an article on Know Your Meme it'll gain traction.

>>2911101
I'll have to agree with some of this.

>>2911850
Because that was literally Carmack's idea, he saw that people hacked Wolf3D and thought "This is cool, mmm, but I should write my next engine to better facilitate modification and user content, mmm"
He released the source code telling people to do whatever they wanted, such as adding slopes (which the game was initially slated to have), or to add jumping and crouching.

Hell, all of id was amazed by the early Star Wars mods that showed up.

>>2911882
Do you know what internal .wads and patch .wads are? Because that shit was basically plugins at the time.

>>2912491
You should give Doom a whirl, you can pick up decent ports for 7th and 8th gen consoles, or find it online for free.

>>2912617
Get Zandronum.

>>2912823
Depends on which PS3 port.
The one that came with BFG Edition was kind of sloppy, while Classic Complete was bretty gud. Both have good controls.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.