[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bad NES games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 6

File: mappy.jpg (100KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
mappy.jpg
100KB, 1280x1024px
The Famicon and NES library was full of shit

Like, seriously, it was full of really shitty games and those of the caliber of Super Mario Bros or Journey to Silius were fucking rare. Most of the games that were on the sytem were shitty repetitive games like Circus Charlie, Pooyan, Nuts & Milk or pic related

That isn't to say these games weren't entertaining or couldn't be enjoyed, but most of them were, legitimately, bad.

Do you remember playing any game like these?
>>
those games were all there was. unlike you.
>>
>>2909395
hilariously enough, here in my country those kind of games were never localized

We only had a small library of the most popular ones and each of them were incredibly expensive for the time
>>
File: 1435674285858.png (225KB, 500x738px) Image search: [Google]
1435674285858.png
225KB, 500x738px
>shitting on Circus Charlie
>shitting on Mappy

Death isn't enough punishment for your faggotry.
>>
>>2909389

Maybe you just don't like arcade style games? None of those games are bad.
>>
>>2909389
>Mappy
>bad

holy shit, you need to kill yourself. Mappy was one of the most fun NES games.
>>
File: image.png (11KB, 512x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
11KB, 512x480px
>>2909412
>>2909424
This. Maybe you have ADD, OP.
>>
>>2909389
Emushit player.

>Circus Charlie, Pooyan, Nuts & Milk
Those were more popular on shitty multicarts... I know Nuts&Milk wasn't released in the US and I think the other two must've had a very limited release.

Mappy was a great arcade game but a shitty port.

Either way all those games were made in 1983, so I'd say you're either Brazilian and only played shitty 1 Trillion in one multicarts or a bad troll.

1/10 because I actually responded
>>
Castlevania 3
Lolo
StarTropics
>>
nothing can top the nes shitlist for me than mario is missing, i have a nostalgia-hatred for that game.
before we moved to a different town as a kid i sold a bunch of toys to make room (especially tmnt stuff, had the van and the technodrome). Then we are in the new place, only me and my nes and some new earned cash... and i spent it on that shitfest of a misery

>that moment you notice the koopas dont hurt you
>e...education??...

the first i found out that goys up top try to fuck you in every possible way
>>
It's hard to get fellow Brits to try NES and SNES games because they think they were all absolute shite.

It's almost universality accepted (except for hobbyist nerds like us) that console games only got decent with the PSX.
>>
I would guess that you dislike other maze-style/single-screen platform arcade games, then. You know: Mario Bros, Lady Bug, Tower of Druaga, City Connection, Donkey Kong and the like?
If so, that's fine. Not to your tastes, but hardly bad. You just don't like that particular genre/those specific sorts of games, and that's perfectly okay. However, to call them shitty games is a tad short-sighted.

Rather than rail against games you don't like, what games do you like?

I can't think of any particular genre I dislike completely, but FPS games are severely underrepresented in my Like List, so I don't know much about them. Conker's multiplayer was fun as all fuck, though, and I played the piss out of Doom and Half Life back in the day.
Still, due to my lack of familiarity with most FPS games, similar to you and your lack of familiarity with maze-chase and single-screen platform games, I can't speak much about how one may differ from the next, so they all seem pretty alike to me. Still, I wouldn't say that they're shitty. They're just not to my tastes.

Do you like those? Or other genres?
>>
>>2909443
That's not what a goy is, Dan. You're the goy. And if you're not Dan, than know that you've a kinship with a fat Catholic who did the exact same thing, selling off several of his TMNT toys to buy a new game, got MiM and suffered a mild depression from severe cases of a combo of both buyer's and seller's remorse.
>>
>>2909412
they are enjoyable, but they are, definitely, not quality games
>>
>>2909430
>Maybe you have ADD
how you know?
>>
>>2909389
Half of what you mentioned are awesome games.
>>
>>2909707
they are not

Adventure of Link is, castlevania is, The guardian legend is, ninja gaiden is

These games with only one repetitive unoriginal song that drills your brain, dull graphics and repetitive gameplay can be fun and entertaining and everything you might personally enjoy, but by no means they are good games
>>
>>2909434
>Emushit player.
he took that pic from google
>>
>>2909389
>That isn't to say these games weren't entertaining or couldn't be enjoyed, but most of them were, legitimately, bad.
I suppose you're the same anon whose games age.
>>
>>2909540
from those games that you have mentioned, I must say I like Mario Bros, Tower of Druaga and Donkey Kong, but I do not consider them bad games for the Famicon because they were originally released on much more primitive systems, and still you have to recognize that it shows

Maze style/single screen I don't know what to say, since Adventures of Lolo is one of my all time favorites I would argue that it isn't the genre what I don't like.
Actually, I've played the fuck out of pooyan and Field combat, and I remember one called M.U.S.C.L.E that I played a lot as well, so I think I'm going to argue that it isn't just pesonal preference, that I'm convinced that these games lack the quality that the NES is capable of offering
As for the games I like, I think everything except sports games, I even play action 52 occasionally
>>2909785
no idea of what are you talking about
>>
Third worlder who spent his early days playing NES bootlegs reporting in. This thread reminded me of several games I used to play but whose names I never knew. Help me out:

1.you controlled a car and had to jump on platforms to complete the stage and there was a cat you couldn't hit
2. you were on a tree and shot arrows at falling balloons, there were also some pigs somewhere in the middle iirc
3. a basketball game where you played on the street with some kids and you could pick up stuff and throw at them - each team had different powers like fire and teleporting
4. a weird game where instead of side scrolling you had a static screen and you'd keep going to the right until the next screen appears; and in this game you grabbed stuff from the floor and you started on a jungle-like scene and entered a cave where I remember some kind of snake or maybe a bat would attack you - never played it much because I didn't even know how to advance, the game was weird as shit
5. another weird game where you play with some kind of fat bald dude with magic powers and I vaguely remember that the very first stage is a desert like, rocky scenery and there are 3 pillars and you had to hop through them
Help me here guys, google doesn't respond,
>>
>>2909775

I mean, this is all subjective anon.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with arcade action games. If you don't like them so be it but it doesn't mean they can be good games.
>>
>>2909849

I know the first game is City Connection. The rest I have no idea.
>>
>>2909861
Thanks, yeah it's City Connection and the second one is Pooyan, I just googled those games right after I posted.
Regarding the fifth game the dude you played with resembled the Buddha if that helps.
>>
>>2909775
>fun and entertaining and everything you might personally enjoy,
>but by no means they are good games

The purpose of a game is fun and entertainment. Anything that succeeds at that goal is a good game by definition. Not everyone likes or enjoys the same things though.

Personally I find Super Mario boring and repetitive, but my opinion doesn't make it objectively bad. That's silly.
>>
>>2909852
it isn't the genre of the game, is how sub par these are for NES standars

an example of the kind of games I'm talking about
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXE70rvzODM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xlwh5ffqfw

actually you made me realize that these games are all ports of older arcade games

Maybe instead of having said "bad Famicon/NES library" I should have said "The library of the Famicon/NES is full of shitty ports that are awful compared to other games"

My bad
>>
>>2909883

Front Line is a pretty bad port yeah and I've never played Argus.

I suppose the problem is the NES was pretty underpowered even when it came out in 1983. Ports were never going to be as good as the arcade experience. Some are good and some are bad, that just goes with everything.

I definitely don't think the games you posted in the OP are bad though.
>>
>>2909883
>"The library of the Famicon/NES is full of shitty ports that are awful compared to other games"

You sound so upset. It's hilarious.

Also first you were mentioning Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden and Zelda 2, now you link some bottom of the barrel trash. lol.
>>
>>2909879
wrong
You perfectly know that people can enjoy bad things, specially when it comes to entertainment
I'm guilty as well, as I've said in this post >>2909823 I play Action 52 now and then and I enjoy it, but it's definitely the worst game ever made
>>
>>2909872
Is it karnov maybe?
>>
>>2909886
This, and also Nintendo has almost always been a first party focused system. They out a ton of effort into their own games, and really only care about the quality of those. They'll let developers fill up the library with whatever trash they want to just to have a big library. But they actually want their games to be the best on the system because in the end that makes them the most money.
>>
>>2909892
>You perfectly know that people can enjoy bad things, specially when it comes to entertainment

I disagree with that very fundamentally. The idea that I'm not enjoying the "right" things or for the "right" reasons is idiotic.
>>
>>2909886
I would agree with you, but I think Super Mario Bros being a launch game proves that right from the start games of high quality could be made

>>2909891
>you mad
I don't even know why the fuck I should reply to you but consider this my last effort
consider this game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M59KnYgazBk
unoriginal, unpopular, edgy, it isn't definitely a good game, but the graphics, music and the overall quality makes it definitely different from the ones I've been referring to in the OP
>>
>>2909898
>I disagree with that very fundamentally.
Big Brother
Big Bang Theory
Family Guy
etc.

these and others are very popular shows, are you telling me that, because they are popular, they must be good?
>>
>>2909908
>are you telling me that, because they are popular, they must be good?

Yes I am. I don't enjoy any of them, except for some earlier Family Guy. But that they have millions and millions of fans that enjoy the shows each week is indeed proof that they're doing a good job of achieving their goal. Which for a TV sitcom is a bit of entertainment and humor aimed at the fans.

Just because you don't like something doesn't make it bad. Grow up.
>>
>>2909903
Okay so there are bad games? I agree with that. I think most games are pretty shitty. But it's still funny that you're getting annoyed about it.
>>
File: welp.jpg (7KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
welp.jpg
7KB, 300x200px
>>2909903

>I think Super Mario Bros being a launch game proves that right from the start games of high quality could be made

And yet you're posting older games than SMB, which was released in a time Famicom was already 2 years in the market iirc. Anyway, it's obvious there are bad games or ports for NES, tell me a console where shit like that never happened.
>>
>>2909849
1. City connection
2. Pooyan
3. Don't know
4. Don't know
5. Karnov
>>
>>2909914
>just because you don't like something doesn't make it bad
the opposite should apply then, otherwise it would be hypocrisy
>>
>>2909926
see this >>2909883
>>2909918
>Okay so there are bad games?
yes, that's the thread's topic

please, understand that I'm not mad that these games exist, but that I had to argue with everyone on the thread. If anything, it's the people that replied the ones that got annoyed about it and I got annoyed as well
>>
>>2909895
>>2909951
Yes it's Karnov, thanks!
>>
One of the reasons that I like the NES so much is because it was the last bastion for the games OP doesn't like. Arcade style action games like super arabian, clu clu land, devil world, Popeye, and binary land. The famicom also had a really great shmup library that didn't get a lot of western exposure. The 2600 was starting to get really good at those kind of games pretty much right at the end of its life, so those early NES games picking up where the VCS left off was pretty great. After a few years on the market, platformers became the big thing and those arcade style games went by the wayside. I still love the later games, but those early ones had a charm all their own.
>>
Most of those were arcade ports from a time much earlier than super mario bros.
That might explain the weirdness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D8sQCeGF1w
>>
>>2909823
I think you may have misunderstood the genres. When I said 'maze-style,' I really ought to have said 'maze-chase.' You know the sorts, right? The player character is in an inescapable maze, trying to fulfill a specific, non-puzzle requirement such as eating all the Xs or destroying all the Ys while avoiding ghosts/cats/insects/demon things. There is nearly always some power-up thing (power pellet in PacMan, dog biscuit in MouseTrap etc) that gives the PC the ability to destroy obstacle characters. Once the task is completed, the maze resets with the chasing opponent characters growing faster and/or the staying power of the power-up growing weaker.

Many puzzle maze games, such as Chip's Challenge and the Eggerland/Lolo series (one of my fucking favourites, too) fall under the sokoban/block-pushing genre. I don't think a single sokoban game has ever seen arcade release.

Single screen platform games are similar to maze-chase games but generally (though not always) allow the player character to jump as well as generally providing some method for removing or otherwise incapacitating on-screen obstacle characters (turtles/crabs in Mario Bros by jumping under them or hitting the POW block, police cars in City Connection by shooting oil at them, wind-up toys, flying whale-things, ghosts and others in Bubble Bobble by blowing bubbles at them, cats in Mappy by slamming doors at them and anthropomorphic eggs, hot dogs and pickle chips in BurgerTime by throwing pepper at them).

They're two different, though closely related, genres.

Of the games I mentioned, which, if any, do you like? I like them all a great deal.
>>
>>2910052
>platformers became the big thing
Yup. In their heyday, platform games made-up about a third of all games. Not a single genre before or since has even come close to that sort of stake in the market.
I love single-screen platform games such as Snow Bros, DK Jr. and Fairyland Story. They're great.
>>
These games you're mentioning like Circus Charlie, Nuts & Milk, Pooyan, etc are early titles from before Super Mario Bros.

They are ports from arcade.

It's like calling Donkey Kong or Pac-Man shitty games because they aren't like SMB which came out years later.

Way to be underage OP, if you wanted to discuss shitty NES games, there are lots of them, lots of shovelware, but you had to pick classic Konami games like Circus Charlie and Pooyan. For shame.
>>
>>2909389
THE FAMICON LIBRARY IS FULL OF GEMS. EAT MY ASSHOLE.
>>
Maybe we were just lucky, maybe we just picked our games carefully, or maybe just not as many shitty NES games were being released and marketed in Europe... but I've never played a bad NES game as a kid, whether it was from my own, or from all my friends who had a NES too, and there were many.

The worst I got was Defender Of The Crown, that we got discounted at a time when NES games were in bargain before they almost completely disappeared from shops. And Defender Of The Crown is not a bad game at all, it's just not the kind of games you'd expect to play and like as a kid.
>>
>>2909972
Huh?
>>
So arcade games = bad games?
Those are just how games was, like most of Atari 2600 and even PC games at the time. Small/short stages with simple tasks that becomes more difficult as the level increases, before games began focusing for longer sitting/playthrough.
Case in point, Super Mario Bros was a sequel to Mario Bros.
>>
>>2909389
>Mappy
>bad

Wew lad

Want to play some genuinely bad NES games? Play anything with LJN or Acclaim as the publisher. Total Recall and that Simpsons games were genuinely terrible.
>>
Days of Thunder is just plain sh*t
>>
there are no bad games

only bad players
>>
>>2912492
both are real
>>
>>2909775
>Those games
}>Bad
Nigga, you just suck. Specially if you're calling The Guardian Legend dull and repetitive.
>>
>>2909443
If you're gonna use /pol terms at least use them correctly.
>>
>>2909551
Exactly right, the goy got fucked and blames others.
>typical goy behaviour
>>
>>2910181
This, threads like these always shoe a posters age no matter if he wants it or not.
>>
>>2911720
This meme needs to die.
Play nightmare on Elm St with more than one person. Or jaws.
Bart vs the world was also solid.
>>
>>2912534
But it is anon.
>>
>>2910165
>single-screen platform games

Mario Bros. and Tumblepop have always been my favorites.
>>
>>2913737
Does Ice Climber count as single-screen, or a vertical scroller?
>>
>>2913740
Stages aren't a single screen so what do you think?
>>
File: 1325329840853.png (6KB, 486x451px) Image search: [Google]
1325329840853.png
6KB, 486x451px
>>
>>2914346
Flying Dragon: Secret of the Scrolls.
>>
>>2914346
Jaws
>>
>>2914346
Renegade

>>2914386
This is another good choice
>>
>>2914346

The 1942 port. I love this shit
>>
>>2914460

Renegade is actually good, though. Or at least the home version is, I've heard the arcade version blew.
>>
>>2914346
Donaldland
>>
>>2914346
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hide.

I actually had a lot of fun, I played the Famicom version which is slightly better, but I played it to the end since it was fun.

Contra Force (I know it's not a legit Contra game) and Deadly Towers was also a lot of fun.
>>
>>2914506
> fun, fun, fun

God, I just reread that while being distracted at the phone at my job (911 operator) and I now notice it sounds retarded. Please excuse this.
>>
>>2914346
I really enjoyed Karate Kid. I still think its better than Kung Fu.
>>
>>2912492
>there are no bad games
Home Alone
The Addams Family
Barbie

All three are shit NES titles.
>>
>>2914346
I unironically love Dudes with Attitude and Trolls on Treasure Island and would list them in my top 5 NES games
>>
>>2909434
>Those were more popular on shitty multicarts... I know Nuts&Milk wasn't released in the US and I think the other two must've had a very limited release.

CC and Pooyan were never released in North America.

Also why is OP cherry-picking the primitive <40k games from the Famicom's first three years?
>>
>>2914496
Arcade version is better you shit.
>>
Circus Charlie was also ported on the Commodore 64 by some Yurodev and Pooyan had gotten a couple of computer ports done by Datasoft. The Famicom versions really were Japan-only though.
>>
>>2909434
I had Pooyan on my TRS-80 cassette drive. I think that was all it was released for in NA.
>>
>>2916024
> The Famicom versions really were Japan-only though.
You could get Circus Charlie on some 9999 in 1 cartridges with famiclones.
>>
>>2916072
Except it was also on the C64, Apple II, and Atari 8-bit.
>>
>>2916075
Pirate shit sold in Hong Kong doesn't really count.
>>
>>2916075
Remember when brown people didn't have Internet?
>>
>>2914479
C64 had an excellent 1942 port; the NES one is a disgrace.
>>
>>2916271

Famiclones sold in many countries not just hong kong

>>2916276

You just jelly that you had to spend a lot of money on a cart with a single game on it while people with famiclones got great multicarts with games like Contra, Adventure Island and Super Mario Bros and also classic arcade ports that America never got from Konami and other devs.

You were also stuck with that huge NES while family game clones were like the Famicom.
>>
>>2916289
Multicarts rarely even had the good games; they were usually just collections of sub-40k NROM shit so all you had was Donkey Kong, Pooyan, Lode Runner, SMB, Milk & Nuts, etc.
>>
>>2916289
>Famiclones sold in many countries not just hong kong

None of them inhabited by actual humans (ie. white people)
>>
>>2916295
>>2916289
>>2916276
Take this shit back to /pol/.
>>
>>2916293

They often had a couple really good games, and the rest were early Famicom titles that were still fun to play.

I had one with Star Soldier, Captain Tsubasa II, Adventure Island, Contra, Super C, which I consider to be all good games that I would have spent the same money for them on a cart alone. Then it also had like another 40 games that were also great fun even if they were simpler: Ice Climber, Twin Bee, Popeye, Donkey Kong, DK jr, DK3, Star Force, Circus Charlie, Antartic Adventure, Field Combat, City Connection and many others.

I certainly wouldn't trade my Famiclon childhood for a regular NES childhood. I had many friends who had a NES instead of a Famiclone, and they ended up buying a converter to be able to play Family Game carts on their NES.
Also the NES controller is too angular, the Family pads are rounder on the edges and because of that a lot more comfortable to hold.
>>
>>2916295

This is /vr/, not /v/
>>
>>2916301
Better yet, you should ask why it's necessary to have a dick waving contest that my region got more games than yours because we can play all of them on emulation it's 2016.
>>
>>2916310

Nobody is doing a dick-waving contest, one guy said that certain Famicom games were Japan-only, some guy commented that Famiclones got them, and then this /v/tard came in saying "hurrr brown people have internets?"

Nobody was having any sort of contest, just a retard shitposting.
>>
>>2916304
>Ice Climber, Twin Bee, Popeye, Donkey Kong, DK jr, DK3, Star Force, Circus Charlie, Antartic Adventure, Field Combat, City Connection
All sub-40k which kind of proves the point. Nobody who had those pirate multicarts got to play the good stuff like Zelda, Mega Man, Kirby, Dragon Quest. It was all this crude Atari-level stuff from the early years of the Famicom.
>>
>>2916318
>Nobody who had those pirate multicarts got to play the good stuff like Zelda, Mega Man, Kirby, Dragon Quest
I didn't see games with battery saves among pirated games. I mean, Mega Man is known, and even more, he is better known as Rockman.
>>
>>2916318
>All sub-40k which kind of proves the point. Nobody who had those pirate multicarts got to play the good stuff like Zelda, Mega Man, Kirby, Dragon Quest. It was all this crude Atari-level stuff from the early years of the Famicom.
but we had them too. bootleg single carts (rockman series) as well as original carts (zelda, kirby).
>>
>>2916318

there is a multicart with all 6 Rockman games on it.
Thread posts: 96
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.