[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you like Puyo Puyo? Are you good at it? I always loved this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 12

File: Puyo_Puyo_2_(J)-7.jpg (219KB, 640x448px) Image search: [Google]
Puyo_Puyo_2_(J)-7.jpg
219KB, 640x448px
Do you like Puyo Puyo?

Are you good at it?

I always loved this game ever since I first played it under the name "Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine" and later found out about the actual original version, Puyo Puyo 2 on Megadrive.
Something about Puyo Puyo really clicks with me, I kind of enter a trance state that's very relaxing but exciting at the same time.
Often when I play Puyo Puyo before going to bed, I keep "playing" in my mind when I close my eyes before falling asleep, my brain is still chaining puyos.

But I never really got good at it, I get that the idea is to build it up in a way to make chain reaction, but most of the time I do a chain of 4 or more it's pure luck, it still feels good though.

Playing against the CPU on stage 8 seems impossible, the blocks fall way too fast and the CPU never fails and fucks me up without giving me any chance.
I seem to remember the Robotnik game was a bit easier than the original Puyo Puyo 2, but I'm not sure.
Is the CPU cheating a lot, or I just need to get better? Because I honestly don't seem to be getting any better, but I'll keep trying, I'm having fun anyway.
>>
>>2909331
>I seem to remember the Robotnik game was a bit easier than the original Puyo Puyo 2, but I'm not sure.

Mean Bean was based on the first puyo puyo and it was significantly harder due to the AI being more merciless, the inability to rotate blocks unless you had space for it, and the lack of counter system (whoever built a screen-filling combo first, won).

Puyo Puyo 2 allowed you to rotate blocks when there was no space to do so, like a 1-block narrow pit. This also allowed you to roll them upwards a few spaces, and to place them heavily off screen (1-2 rows above the play screen). And it had a counter system, wherein if you did a combo, and then the other player did a combo before the junk fell down, his combo score would cancel out the junk and he'd have less crap falling into the screen, or none at all.

I think it was also Puyo 2 which added the "zen shuu" bonus, where if you make the screen completely empty, your next combo starts with a huge bonus multiplier.

Puyo Puyo Sun tried making things faster with junk counters triggering Sun puyos, which added a huge multiplier.
>>
File: 44859018_p10.png (282KB, 550x500px) Image search: [Google]
44859018_p10.png
282KB, 550x500px
>Do you like Puyo Puyo?
Yes
>Are you good at it?
No. I bet if I played it more I would get better but I'm honestly not that invested in it, I mostly just like it because of the Madou Monogatari characters.
>>
>>2909373
>I mostly just like it because of the Madou Monogatari characters.

I want someone to make a CNX format compresser, so I can translate shit in the Saturn Madou Monogatari and Waku Puyo games.
>>
fun games but after playing SPF2T with friends its hard to get into similar games
>>
File: Draco Centaur.png (28KB, 464x448px) Image search: [Google]
Draco Centaur.png
28KB, 464x448px
Yes, I like it.

No, I suck at it. I've gotten to the state where I can breeze through early stages, but always get my ass handed to me in the last section.

I really appreciate how the creators made a casual puzzle game with simple mechanics that could get really competitive. I hope the 3D Classics port gets released in America.

Also - I always preferred the Game Gear version of Mean Bean Machine to the Genesis version, due to the addition of Nazo Puyo mode.

http://sonicfanon.wikia.com/wiki/ROBUTTNIKS_MEAN_BEAN_MACHEAN
>>
File: puyo-arcade3.png (23KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
puyo-arcade3.png
23KB, 320x224px
I just finished the first game and then I got on and saw this thread. The original puyo puyo plays identical to the mean bean machine.

I'm pretty good at these games but I could still improve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxWmS6FF-g8
>>
File: madou5.jpg (88KB, 627x478px) Image search: [Google]
madou5.jpg
88KB, 627x478px
I'm rather good at it, I can easily make 5+ combos, but then I see those japanese people filling the screen and emptying it in mere seconds and I feel like I'm still shit at it.
I still want to play a translated version of pic related tho.
>>
>>2909912
Was there a continuity between the Madou Monogatari games?
Given that 2, 3 and ARS aren't translated either it's probably faster to learn Japanese than to wait for a translation for all of them.
>>
>>2909925
>Was there a continuity between the Madou Monogatari games?
No.
>>
>>2909331
How is it compared to Panel de Pon?
>>
>>2909925
>Was there a continuity between the Madou Monogatari games?

As I recall there was, but it was extremely long and full of magical avatars and crap. I only recall bits and pieces, like Schezo being an immortal, Arle is some kind of destined chosen one, and the entire world perishes in a ragnarok. Then Satan, who survived the whole ordeal, creates his own, idolized version of the old world, inside a boundary of dimensions. In that new universe, Arle is forever 16 years old.

Most of the games take place in the original universe, at various points of Arles life, from kindergarden to adulthood. The Saturn game takes place post-ragnarok.

Also a lot of the story happens in sidegames, like small minigames and VNs distributed in old PC and PC98 discstation releases. And obscure manga.

So there is, in reality, little storyline tying the games together, other than stuff like "how Schezo became the Dark Swordsman" or "why Rulue is in love with Satan".

>>2909912
>I still want to play a translated version of pic related tho.

see
>>2909440
the game files are all compressed. There is a fully functional decompressor, but until someone writes an app that can also re-compress data (which is possible, I have done it, still have a character mapping saved somewhere), there is no way to insert edited text into the game.
>>
File: 2011-12-23_055114_1065782.jpg (115KB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
2011-12-23_055114_1065782.jpg
115KB, 854x480px
Curry waifu
>>
>>2909912

Any tips on how to easily make +5 combos? Or tips in general for the game.

BTW OP here, I guess I was wrong about Mean Bean Machine, haven't played it in a long time.
>>
>>2910141
>Any tips on how to easily make +5 combos? Or tips in general for the game.

A decent 4 hit combo will make a third of a screen of blobs fall on the enemy. If you cannot naturally set up higher combos, then instead work on setting up what you can, as fast as possible. That can kill the enemy equally fast, and leaves him with less time to defend since whatever he built up is now buried under 3-4 layers of garbage.

Personally I think going 5+ combos is too difficult. You have to set up two lines of blobs, and then set up the corner in a sort of three-way combo. With how often you get blobs you don't want, and how fast the game can get very soon, there's no time for that.
More importantly, by that point an expert player has already built up his own killer combo, while a novice player is constantly doing 1-2 hit combos that throw just enough junk in your area to throw off your game.
>>
File: tumblr_nvqfn5yRI31rkrwaco8_1280.png (886KB, 1074x1074px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nvqfn5yRI31rkrwaco8_1280.png
886KB, 1074x1074px
>>
>>2910141
All I know is GTR, and I keep fucking that up.
https://puyonexus.net/wiki/How_to_Play_Puyo_Puyo
Check this site out.
>>
>>2910196
cute
>>
What's the difference between 2 and 2 Remix?
>>
>>2910225
Extra game modes.
>>
>>2910284

So should I just throw vanilla tsu in the trash?
>>
>>2910285
There are dozens of ports of Tsuu and all of them slightly different. Saturn one has voiceovers and arrange music and lots of game modes, but no original music. Megadrive version has the least game modes but it has the original music intact. SNES versions have more or less modes, but the graphics were moved around so everything can fit in the smaller resolution, plus it has awful PCM synth music. There was a PC port that has hi-res SVGA graphics. And a PS2 port which I think is hi-res, but it was redrawn instead of using the original hi-res assets.
>>
>>2910313
To be honest any version is acceptable since you'll mostly spend time in vs and arcade modes anyway.
>>
>>2910321
Exactly. I have them on the Saturn, though I wouldn't mind getting the Megadrive version too since it has superior FM music.
>>
>>2910346
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIEd7ghIyJQ
best puyo song?
>>
File: 1338683284224.png (7KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1338683284224.png
7KB, 300x300px
>No translation patches for the first 2 games on the Genesis
;_;
>>
File: Arle.jpg (55KB, 200x400px) Image search: [Google]
Arle.jpg
55KB, 200x400px
>>2910196
>>
>>2910956
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtTVm3BIRD4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ehb8G0UO54
>>
>>2911728
The arcade versions, which are essentially running on genesis hardware anyway, are translated. Just learn katakana for the menus and stuff, it should take you an hour.
>>
>>2912024
But I'm dyslexic and also stupid, it would probably take me days to learn that.
>>
>>2911767
She looks too pale here. I prefer the other picture in which it looks like she has a sweet Jersey tan.
>>
>>2912043
at least she doesn't look like she has down's syndrome in that one.
>>
>>2912038
Wait, never mind the arcade roms are COMPLETELY in english, I don't know why the hell I said that. You don't need kana at all and they run on genesis hardware .
http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=705&page=1#1890
>>
>>2912050
Oh wow, thank you anon
>>
File: puyo puyo girl.png (125KB, 200x400px) Image search: [Google]
puyo puyo girl.png
125KB, 200x400px
>>2912064
>>
>>2912050
>they run on genesis hardware
So you could download the MAME rom and load it up with GenesisPlusGX on the wii or something?
>>
File: puyopuyo.gif (8KB, 221x285px) Image search: [Google]
puyopuyo.gif
8KB, 221x285px
I played a Mac clone with my brother and sister. We were able to do 4+ chain reaction without much problems so I suppose we weren't too bad.
>>
>>2912109
nope, the c2 board has extended ram and color palette, but the genesis port is very close to the original
>>
>>2912160
Fuck why did anon lie to me, what an asshole
>>
I've always wanted to try my hand at these games but never really knew where to start. Any suggestions, or reasons to pick one game over the other?
>>
>>2913897
I really like the dreamcast version, pretty easy to pirate if you have one. Though apparently that wrecks the CD drive laser so IDK.
>>
File: draco.png (7KB, 187x262px) Image search: [Google]
draco.png
7KB, 187x262px
>>2909331
Draco a CUTE!
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.