[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A Link to the past

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 4

File: Zelda_ALttP_Heart_Piece_2.png (11KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
Zelda_ALttP_Heart_Piece_2.png
11KB, 256x224px
After seeing the AGDQs I decided to play this game for the first time. I have played Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker and my favourite Link's Awakening plenty of times already, but somehow I just cannot seem to get into it.

It starts so slow and I always lose interest once I am inside the castle right at the beginning. I have tried plenty of times now to get past it, but I just feel restless and give up, like it's not really worth it.

I do want to see the mastersword rest forever, but the beginning is just so incredibly dull. The other Zelders I mentioned all started off pretty well in comparison.

What am I not getting?
>>
I always found it massively dull and stretched out and not as good as the first two or Link's Awakening so I guess I'm missing something too.
>>
>I always lose interest once I am inside the castle right at the beginning
So, what, that's like three minutes?
>>
>>2909090
Takes like 1 minute to get in there from the start of the game.
>>
ocarina doesn't start off slow? wtf are you on mate you listen to shit blab on for like half an hour in that game.
>>
>>2909070
>What am I not getting?

Get a copy of pic related. Emulate it. Whatever.

Get walkthroughs. Maps. Kill Ganon.

Then you will have what you're missing. Perspective.
>>
>there are people in this thread who are replying to OP's epicly dank trolling attempt without sageing
>>
>>2909090
>>2909113
It's just having to do it. I feel like it should have been done differently. Perhaps a bit less forced.

>>2909152
Read OP again.

>>2909190
I have it but due to the battery being dead I never got to try it.

>>2909193
>greentext (you)
>>
>>2909190

>using walkthroughs
>>
>>2909190
>>2909242
I struggled with this game for quite some time. downloaded scans of the original map and instructions. Finally beat the game 26 years after my sister got it for christmas.

>>2909070
this goy
>>
>>2909208

If you can't force yourself to spend a couple of minutes doing something unpleasant for the sake of something you claim to be interested in then you... I dunno, have some kind of emotional problem? Just give it half an hour, what's half an hour?
>>
>>2909070
I thought the same. I got tired of going back and forth through the same areas over and over for the first few hours of the game.

I just went to the Dark World for the first time though so let's hope it gets more interesting from now on
>>
>>2909070
You know, one thing I've always appreciated about early Zelda games is that items were based around exploration rather than puzzle solving, with this one being more or less the last one to have this state of mind. Things in ALttP are less straightforward because the answer isn't always an item that radically changes the approach to a dungeon.

That being said, I like new 3D Zelda style mentality just as much, it's just a shame this style of exploration had to die so new Zelda could live.
>>
>>2909070
>people only playing great games because of streams
Millennials, everyone.
>>
>>2909070
I'm somewhat similar. I really liked Link's Awakening and Wind Waker, so I've tried LttP numerous times and for some reason it just never really grabs me.

To be fair, that's my experience with all the other Zeldas I've tried. I think LA was when I was younger and had more time and less options then WW is just amazing. So I might just not like Zelda all that much.
>>
>It starts so slow and I always lose interest once I am inside the castle right at the beginning

Really? I'm not dismissing your experience with the game, but to me it seems like aLttP does the best job at getting you into the action quick. Hell, you get your sword and fight enemies like three minutes in. Compare that with any 3D Zelda.
>>
The castle shouldn't take you more than 15 minutes to get past. It plays more like a gauntlet than a typical Zelda dungeon, so if you're not into that sort of thing, that might be the reason for your dissatisfaction. Afterwards the experience is more akin to OoT. You can either go and explore to get some heart pieces, bottles, potions etc. Or go directly into the eastern palace. The ball really starts rolling once you've completed the first dark world dungeon, so there's that as well.

Personally I get hooked on the game the moment I boot it up, which means I end up not replaying it unless I know I have an afternoon to spend. All the LA praise is weird though. Although it's fun, it plays, looks, and feels like a poor-man's ALttP, yet I see the former praised and the latter bashed all the time here.
>>
>>2909683
shoot an arrow at an eyeball to open a door
hoo boy such good puzzlan
>>
dunno what you're on about anon, the first time I played this, I could not stop playing. I got this on a comfy, rainy night, and played to my heart's content to the wee hours of the morning.
>>
Your complaint is totally legitimate OP. ALttP is the slowest Zelda. It's a lot more subtle an experience in hooking you than the other ones.

It doesn't have an obvious "this game is good" moment like the other ones. For instance, OoT's hook is Jabu-Jabu's Belly, the moment when Ruto falls through the orifice and you can choose to follow her or not, the game starts opening up and never stops. ALttP is a really scripted Zelda until you get to Dark World. However, give it time. It gets there and then you will begin to appreciate all the minutiae of it and think it really is ahead of its time.

Also, consider that it came out one year to the day after the SNES in late 1991 and that they didn't get to add all the features Miyamoto wanted because they were constrained for time (he wanted to have procedural burning for bushes like TMC). This explains why the ending of the game feels a bit rushed.
>>
>>2910289
>Your complaint is totally legitimate OP
Are we reading the same thing? OP's complaining about a game that he hasn't put any more than 300 seconds into
>>
OP you're gonna have to play for longer than two minutes before the game grabs you. Honestly I enjoyed going through Hyrule Castle so I don't know why it's not doing it for you. I'd recommend at least finishing that area and going through the first 'real' dungeon. If you aren't having a good time after that maybe you should just put the game down.

For as much guff as Nintendo gets for doing the same thing over and over, most of the Zelda games are actually pretty different from each other, and liking one doesn't necessarily mean you'll like another. If you don't like then you don't like it, and that's fine. You shouldn't force yourself to play a videogame, that would be silly.
>>
>>2909070
OP the beginning of ALttP is probably the greatest opening to a Zelda game ever, it's literally the it was a dark and stormy night

Gives me warm feelies
>>
>>2909070
Don't worry, you're hardly the only one to feel this way. LttP is easily the dullest game out of all the 'retro' Zeldas and I found it a slog to get through the majority of it. Very little about its design stands out or feels truly clever or memorable. I experience the same thing starting it up again, I want to enjoy it, but for whatever reason everything about it just ends up turning me off. It's probably the game that most depends on it either being your first Zelda or otherwise having nostalgia for it.
>>
>>2909070
>zelders

kek
>>
>>2910404
LoZ is easily the dullest game out of all the 'retro' Zeldas and I found it a slog to get through the majority of it.Very little about its design stands out or feels truly clever or memorable. I experience the same thing starting it up again, I want to enjoy it, but for whatever reason everything about it just ends up turning me off. It's probably the game that most depends on it either being your first Zelda or otherwise having nostalgia for it.
>>
>>2909070
Honestly the opening is probably the best part. It comes apart and becomes monotonous when you get to the dark world.
>>
>>2910550
Lol at the buthurt. I played LoZ well after most of the series and found it to be one of the most unique and interesting experiences the games have to offer. You're really dumped into a world and left to fend for yourself, which lends to a much more organic feeling of discovery.
>>
>>2909070
If you like LA the next step is MM after that play Super Mario Galaxy.
>>
>>2910404
>>2910550
>>2910562
All wrong. Diehard OoT and MM fan, I first played ALttP on the GBA, so I was spoiled by its file select screen, updated fonts, and other bells and whistles like the shovel being retainable. It was my only real GBA game aside from cheapo games like the DBZ Taiketsu and Yu Yu Hakushos. So to say I played it a lot was an understatement.

I downloaded it on Wii in 2010 and was like "What is this? How could anyone play this game? I can't even read what the text says!"

So I came into the game with a worse attitude than you three probably did, and because I already knew the game like the back of my hand, I had to force myself to trudge through the monotony of the beginning. But I saw the light.

I don't think it's quite OoT or LoZ level, but it's definitely holding strong for third place as far as design quality against all other Zeldas.
>>
>>2910620
Also, I should add that at this point I was also bored to death with the GBA version and couldn't even play it anymore. I downloaded ALttP thinking the original could freshen things up, only to find what I believed at the time to be an antiquated model of the game.
>>
honestly it's my favorite zelda game but I think it's just nostalgia mostly. it's definitely a good game but it's one of the only zelda games I can actually sit down and enjoy.

the simplicity of it is the best part and everything about it is memorable. if you want a truly comprehensive zelda experience I would try out one of the N64 games, I guess
>>
File: Through_the_night_by_Orioto.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Through_the_night_by_Orioto.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>2910289
>It doesn't have an obvious "this game is good" moment
I don't want to simply dislike you, Anon, but I will.
>>
>>2910620

>OoT, LoZ fighting for first
>LttP easy third

We have the same taste in Zeldas my friend.
>>
>>2910245
Switch hitting then, what the fuck do you want from me?
>>
>>2909352
That's essential, since NES games don't usually have tutorials or stuff like that, always get the manuals.
>>
It, along with Super Mario World, is an incredibly bland game that is inferior to its predecessors and only loved by people blinded with nostalgia.
>>
>>2911940
Careful with that axe Eugene.
>>
>>2910289
Nonsense. ALttP started off with a bang, a brilliant start with amazing atmosphere, music and action. If the complaint was after a great start then it drops a little, fine. I had assumed OP was saying that to add fat in the fire if this is a troll/joke post, so it reflects on you that you actually say it's real. Also your "this game is good" moment idea is so absurd and out of the blue that it's legitimately laughable.
>>
>>2909070
I kinda used to be the same because I didn't like the short reach of the normal sword. But struggle through with it until you get the Master Sword and the sword reach increases by a lot and the game becomes much more fun. It turned out to be one of my fave games ever, and I'm someone who gave up on the game like 3-4 times previously.
>>
>>2909783
>Personally I get hooked on the game the moment I boot it up, which means I end up not replaying it unless I know I have an afternoon to spend. All the LA praise is weird though. Although it's fun, it plays, looks, and feels like a poor-man's ALttP, yet I see the former praised and the latter bashed all the time here.
I don't see how LA is a poor man's ALttP at all, both games are very good but different in quite a few ways. In ALttP you have a pretty large amount of freedom in terms of how much of the map you can visibly look at as soon as you get out of the castle, on the flip side you only have access to one small world and most of it is still blocked off until you get the items needed. LA restricts you to areas more or less basically only allowing access to sections as you get items. Still LA allows you to explore the shit out of those areas and the fighting and puzzles felt better. ALttP on the other hand is pretty much built on exploration with a lot of progress you have to make by exploring shit with few hints. ALttP is also a lot harder which can turn some people off even if they won't admit it, you will die in ALttP, not so much in LA unless you steal.
>>
>>2909070
>I have played Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker
> It starts so slow
Wut? Literally within about 1 minute you've got a sword and you're banging around a dungeon. Ocarina of time has you dancing around talking to shit, getting into the controls and finding your sword and all sorts of other village shit. Same with Wind Waker which asks you to wiggle around and snag pigs etc... and then once you even get your sword they get right to taking it away to pretend your solid snake and shit. It takes both of those games basically 10 minutes or so from a blind run to even get started. The only Zelda you mentioned that's comparable is LA, the other two take quite a bit to get going and once you do get going there's quite a bit of not a lot of anything in between.

I think the thing you're not getting is how to stop sucking your own nostalgias dick. This would be the place where people often do that though, so you know, you're in good company. But if you tried being more objective. You've realize that your initial experiences were worse than what you're complaining about.
>>
>>2909190
Underrated post.
>>
>>2913128
>ALttP is also a lot harder
So, really really easy. Neither game is hard at all. The two hardest Zelda games were a first and then the difficulty of every other Zelda game in existence basically took a dive off a cliff.
>>
something something pink hair something
>>
Might be a case of ADHD.
>>
>>2913673

I have more trouble with ALTTP than Dark Souls 1 and 2

Although this might be a result of the difficulty of the Souls games being exaggerated because of the way they were marketed
>>
>>2914142

How? LttP is really easy.
>>
i feel ya OP, LTTP was one of the few zelda games i was too bored to finish with.

though i couldn't bother finishing wind waker either, once it got to the triforce shard-collecting part. when a game is so convoluted that it forces you to use a walkthrough guide, that's when i drop it.
>>
>>2914142
>I have more trouble with ALTTP than Dark Souls 1 and 2
Gonna have to reiterate >>2914176
HOW?
It's difficulty is a notch higher than Kirby. There are maybe even two things in the game you might possibly die on if you were terrible. Blind because of all the heads and dodging is a pain in the ass and mothula in which spikes and conveyors can be a problem for really bad players especially if they don't know to use the fire rod.
>>
>>2914176
>>2914278

I'm on the third dungeon in the Dark World and I'm dying a lot. I got to the boss and he's giving me a lot of trouble too. In the Souls games I can easily get through an area without dying, even if it's a brand new area.

I've beaten many Kirby games and I think that ALTTP is more than a notch higher.
>>
Got red mail and final heart container last night. Only one thing left to do
>>
File: alundra.jpg (113KB, 800x689px) Image search: [Google]
alundra.jpg
113KB, 800x689px
>>2909070
You're not getting that Zelda games are shit.

Here, have a good Zelda-like videogame.
>>
>>2914675
While I think Alundra had potential, it definitely shits the bed in terms of heavy execution based jumping puzzles.
>>
>>2914142
>Although this might be a result of the difficulty of the Souls games being exaggerated

Yes. Souls games are 'hard', but the vast majority of the difficulty is from not knowing the mechanics or how to deal with a given situation. The fanbase is so pussy they complain about things like not being able to complete a section without dying the first time, not having so many healing items then you'd almost never run out, not having a huge invincibility window so that rolling auto-magically lets you escape from any attack and the game not being balanced around some arbitrary playstyle involving the player handicapping themselves by choosing not to use ranged attacks.

The NES Zeldas are more properly hard.
>>
>>2914587
> I think that ALTTP is more than a notch higher.
It's really not. Not sure what you're doing wrong. Half the shit in the game you can pound with a hammer or charge attack to murder in the face.
You know you can plop those beetle things with a hammer right? Not that you couldn't just slap them around with a sword, but yeah, if you're knocking them around with a sword and pushing yourself back maybe that's. As for the boss, fire rod. Make sure you have magic I guess. I dunno. I'm not amazing, I can't three heart run it, but I don't have any significant trouble with it. I mean other than just pay attention to what's around you there's not really a significantly challenging element to it. It's not like where I come back to say SMB and it's like wow I suck at this game now, LTTP really has no amount of time where I can drop in and say hey I suck at this now, it's just not there.

I dunno about Dark Souls. I tried the shitty PC port and the god awful camera made me uninstall that garbage. I can deal with difficulty so long as said difficulty isn't fighting against bullshit camera/controls that just don't fucking work. So I can't say how difficult it really is given that I later found out I apparently was meant to go around the cliff face and not fuck up the skeletons, which was becoming a pain when the big guy joined the fray. Taking on the little ones was doable, but the camera played a big part in causing complete frustration for what should have been a far easier fight. At least that's great with LTTP, no fucking terrible as fuck camera to deal with.
>>
>>2916141
>So I can't say how difficult it really is given that I later found out I apparently was meant to go around the cliff face and not fuck up the skeletons, which was becoming a pain when the big guy joined the fray. Taking on the little ones was doable, but the camera played a big part in causing complete frustration for what should have been a far easier fight.

Trying to take those guys on early is probably the single best part of the game.
>>
>>2914587
>I'm on the third dungeon in the Dark World and I'm dying a lot. I got to the boss and he's giving me a lot of trouble too.

Catch some fairies in your bottles nigga
>>
>>2909072
Same problem here. I'm convinced LttP is just dull period, with slow gameplay, plenty of handholding, and not much to it beyond a big overworld with good visuals and music. I do like the big world and bigger item selection though. I'd still play several other Zeldas before i'd play it though.
>>
>>2909739
Yeah, but compare it to zelda 1 and 2 which both start up almost immediately, and link to the past takes very little time as well.

LttP actually has one of the longer swordless exploration times for 2D Zeldas. Of course the 3D Zeldas dwarf that of course, but afaic the 3D Zeldas are mostly terrible anyway, a good deal so due to that very reason.
>>
>>2914870
I wonder if souls 'fans' complain about rare games too, they basically built an empire out of memory and repetition.
>>
>>2916414
>link to the past

Meant to say LA here, sword search is pretty brief
>>
>>2914587
Can you record a run through the dungeon? I'm curious as to what your doing that's causing you so much trouble.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.