[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we have a thread about gaming and getting old? Ever tried

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 9

File: cranky2.jpg (49KB, 508x446px) Image search: [Google]
cranky2.jpg
49KB, 508x446px
Can we have a thread about gaming and getting old?

Ever tried a /vr/ game as an adult and thought it was meh but you would have loved it if you were younger and less cynical? Ever went through a phase where you genuinely can't enjoy vidya? How about actually finding time to play?
>>
I started to dislike vidya in high school right after PS1 came out, it was the beginning of the end of normies taking over gaming and I guess it depressed me some. I come back to gaming every few years buy a bunch of crap and genuinely enjoy some games but I'll never have the passion I did as a kid I'm guessing
>>
>>2907689
>normies
>>
>>2907678
Honestly, no. I've been playing a bunch of /vr/ recently - Secret of Mana, Super Metroid, and Magical Chase during the last few days - and I find them to be much more engaging than some of the recent modern games I've tried playing like Witcher 3. I'm still a sucker for color and whimsy.

>Ever went through a phase where you genuinely can't enjoy vidya?
No. Late high school was when I gamed the least, but even then I always had at least one thing I could say I was actively playing.

>How about actually finding time to play?
I play for about 30-45 minutes every day after work, more on weekends. I'd have no problem dedicating all of my free time to vidya, but I'm working on an indie game right now, so I'm trying to spend most of my time on that.
>>
>>2907716
Guess what, anon? You're probably one of them! Thanks for encouraging devs to dumb down their games to appeal to you and your friends!
>>
When I was young, I had a neutral perspective on life. This perspective extended to video games as well. As I got older, I got increasingly cynical and it bled into my gaming experiences. This is the reason I can't get into games with "deep" plots and characterization anymore.
>>
I can kind of relate. Finished high school in 2007 and pretty much dropped out of gaming completely, lost all interest. Was nearly 5 years later that I had an amazing run with my childhood NES after pulling it out of storage and then came to start casually browsing this board.

Rediscovered the joys of Doom, RCT, started picking up old consoles and games in what may only be referred to as garage sale raids and it's become something of a hobby.

I have a (admittedly somewhat phony as I was quite young through the 90's) nostalgia for a lot of things though, outside of /vr/ as a hobby I off and on spend time collecting albums and comic books, playing D&D and MTG and watching the old Godzilla and Star Wars movies.
>>
>>2907736
>implying
I just want this /r9k/ speak to stay on there
>>
>>2907741
>D&D
Do you play online?
>>
Always gamed, now @ 33 I am replaying the games I didn't understand or couldn't beat as a child. suspension of disbelief is harder, I dont feel as engaged in the story as I used to but can appreciate the game mechanics more as an adult. Game on weekends mainly. Sometimes the Retron 5 and I will fire up a platformer on the weekdays for some quality time
>>
>>2907754
I've been invited to before, I haven't though. Only ever played locally, a friend of mine DMs a game every now and then.
>>
Still have the desire to play but i feel as if i grew even more casual as time went on which makes it hard to enjoy some games that are harder than majority of easier ones. Used to love RPGs but all those abilities and items and party members and information, basically, just makes my head spin.

Recently finished Baldur's Gate on normal and shit was very difficult, i barely survived and had to cheese\reload a lot(like Sarevok, i think i summoned like 100 orcs to keep him busy so my sling shot crew could kill him).

Tried playing some Neverwinter Nights 2 after that but i just barely finished Neverwinter, after rouge warehouses i am getting raped everywhere even after looking up OP stormlord\cleric something build.
>>
>>2907736
greentexting my heartfelt story with
>normies
clear that this dude is a normie, I bet he bought Black Ops 3 for Xbox One with the Season Pass
>>
The only time I ever completely rejected vidya was in the early 90s when Sega CD, 32x and the failure of TG-16 left a bad taste in my mouth. Then CDi and 3DO made me think either video gaming was about done or I was getting too mature to enjoy it. This coincided with my "I'm too cynical for any of this shit" high school years.

Then I graduated, started smoking weed and getting laid and the Playstation came out. I believed again.
>>
>>2907678
>can we have a thread about gaming and getting old?
Sure..
>super negative questions posted
Oh, you're just a bitter individual with no sense of self. You assume others are like you and we are not. Terrible thread, and sage and reported.
>>
Nah video games are still fine, mostly.

My problem is people, I've become less tolerant over the years.
>>
>>2908093

gramps?
>>
The Playstation 3 and its games killed my interest in gaming.
Turn it on, wait for system updates.
Put game in, wait for updates.
The game has massive cutscenes...
Wait for a really boring first level of a game that it's mechanics and content are cut down from similar PS2 games.
Then the playstation network is down for an entire month FML.

Slowly getting back into that machine and trading for games again....but really trying to find different VR games and replacing the controllers for my Genesis makes me love gaming still.
>>
I think I got "too old" for gaming at like 22 completely ignoring games for years, now at 31 I'm enjoying the retro scene.

It's a lot less "comfy" when you can't just game straight through a weekend like I used to, though. I also can't play RPGs, especially older ones that require you to really dedicate both physical time and mental space for it.
>>
>>2908108

Surely it must be, revered kidposter. 0-0

As for me, I do have a harder time suspending disbelief, but only for shit that's clearly meant to have a serious plot. So stuff like Donkey Kong Country I'm pretty fine with, but Final Fantasy VIII (first Final Fantasy, please put away your rakes and torches) I completely rejected once I had a chance to finally complete it. It seemed really world-wise and mature when I was a stupid pre-teen, but holy fuck does it reek of stupid through older eyes.

I never have a hard time finding hours to play; I purposely keep my social connections light and pretty much hate everybody in this goddamned beshitted little town. Ergo, no girlfriend to tie up time and resources.
>>
>>2908119
>Surely it must be, revered kidposter. 0-0

No I'm asking if he's Gramps-kun. The guy who worked at Babbage's in the 90s who always tells stories of old.
>>
Definitely starting to lose my ability playing FPSes, I can still compete but nowhere near the UT99 Quake 3 heydays.
>>
>>2908098
Not having time to play as much as you would like to, losing the interest and being less naive and impressionable are pretty common problems a lot of people go trought. That's like saying talking about going bald in a +40 thread is bitter. We could rather talk about something positive like actually having money to collect all the stuff we wanted as kids? Sure, and no one is stopping you.
>>
>>2908124

I know. Mentally he's "Gramps" to me as well, thanks to you. And you're "kidposter", because I can't imagine anyone but a cocky youth in the prime of life calling someone "Gramps" seriously.

No offense intended.
>>
File: KF4_Shot_003.jpg (13KB, 340x191px) Image search: [Google]
KF4_Shot_003.jpg
13KB, 340x191px
>Ever tried a /vr/ game as an adult and thought it was meh

Sometimes, but I think that may be due to a lack of nostalgia for said games. Your pic for instance reminded me that I never had a chance to play the original Donkey Kong Country games back in the day. When I picked up on the GBA ports much later, they just felt like generic platformers / collect-a-thons.

On the other hand, I only recently picked up on Bomberman, and now I've completed almost every retro title in the series. So maybe it has nothing to do with nostalgia.

I'm often physically ill, which makes it difficult to do or enjoy much of anything. Video games are sometimes a way to relax, but other times, I'm too distracted by health issues to devote my attention to anything recreational.

As for there being some sort of cut-off period for me, I guess that would be seventh generation. I can probably name a couple of seventh-gen games I'd play, but I'm pretty sure there are PC ports of those games available, so I don't think there's any incentive for me to invest in a new console.

I'm disabled, so I have more free time than I frankly want. Finding time is never an issue. Finding the physical or mental stamina is.

Actually, I invest a lot more time and money into handhelds than I do consoles for this reason. I usually take my gaming with me to doctor's visits since there's a lot of waiting between appointments or procedures.
>>
>>2908134

I'm not calling him "gramps" because of his age though, at least not just because of that. It's more because of the fact he likes to tell stories of when he was younger in the 90s, a time when he was old enough to buy all the games he wanted, while most of us were still kids or early teens, so it's kind of like, we gather around him and listen to his stories, like grandsons and a grampa. it's not meant in a derogatory way.
>>
>>2907678

It's really difficult for me now. I have a job and a girlfriend, and whatever else comes along with growing up.

Whenever I have free time to play a video game I play counter-strike. Why? It's not time consuming and it's instant intense competition. Also it's the game all my IRL friend play too.

I'm getting kind of nervous, FFIX is coming out for steam and I want to play it - but I have a feeling when it comes out I'll just let it float on by and keep playing CS.

I miss being able just to cozily settle into some RPG or 3D platformer but I just don't do it anymore. I feel like if I'm not playing CS I'm not really playing anything. It's a real shame.
>>
>>2908134
>>2908108
I guess I'm gramps. I could hypothetically have grandchildren but I'd have to have kids I'm unaware of.
>>
File: oldman vr.jpg (98KB, 450x668px) Image search: [Google]
oldman vr.jpg
98KB, 450x668px
>>2908138
>>
>>2908147
>/int/ is the black kid
perfect
>>
>>2908138

>it's not meant in a derogatory way.

Never said I took it to be so.

>>2908147

Saved.
>>
>>2908138
In all honesty my serious collecting really got kicked off after I stopped working at Babbage's and started working at this indie game store owned by this coke head. He was real cool when I first took the job but then after a while he started getting real aggro with his employees and accusing everyone of stealing from him. When you start getting repeatedly accused of doing something yet there's no immediate result, it kind of leads to you doing it and I really started not just buying stuff for myself while on the job but like I've always been known to do but also filling in a lot of gaps in my collection out of his stock before he finally fired me for being really late to work after an all-night acid trip. I shouldn't have even called in.
>>
>>2907678
How much gaming you do past 25 is directly proportionate to what kind of responsibilities you have.

And video games WILL stop being as fun after 30. I don't know why this happens, but it does without fail.

That said, nowadays I do little other than emulation. Mostly NES, SNES, and especially arcade games. I've been meaning to get back into NGPC emulation, but I keep putting it off for one reason or another. For consoles I've been playing very little other than Wii and occasionally NES light gun games or misc. PS2 shit (usually arcade ports, but a few originals as well). Oh, and Ultra Street Fighter IV.

I don't play nearly as much as I used to and play sessions are usually pretty short.

As far as taste changing, I can appreciate JRPGs now, which I never really could as a kid, but I don't have time to play them so it doesn't really matter.
>>
File: Partners in Time.webm (2MB, 404x720px) Image search: [Google]
Partners in Time.webm
2MB, 404x720px
Good thread.

For the most part, if I'm playing a /vr/ game for the first time in the modern day then I generally enjoy it or even love it, and that's usually because I've researched it, sometimes without the intention or realisation that I've researched it in the first place. I think it's due to there being so much info on these games floating around due to the amount of time they've been out, which means you already know to varying degrees about what the game entails beforehand, and I find it's due to this that I rarely play anything /vr/ related on impulse. Don't get me wrong, there's been a few shitters for me that a lot have herald as great, but usually I'm in agreement with the praise that a positively renowned retro game receives.

Not /vr/, but Xenoblade Chronicles X initially and recently hit me strongly with the feeling of not enjoying vidya. The original Xenoblade Chronicles is my favourite game of all time; it was one of those special games that made me realise why I loved videogames again. I had set myself up for XBCX to be a disappointment, but sadly, I was a lot more disappointed than I thought I was going to be with it, but I pressed on and have started to enjoy it a lot more at least.

As for time, I'm working in a temp graduate job scheme, so I've only got a couple hours a week night and the weekend, which is still a lot but nowhere near what it used to be like. It can be daunting and disheartening when playing large games that take so much time to progress with when you don't have much time available. I'm trying to get a bit more sociable, and I think if I end up in a gf relationship soon then I'll probably never return as heavily to gaming, which is a curse and blessing in several ways.

I dunno anything at the end of the day, but I'll always love games.
>>
Having money to buy any game you want, making little shrines to our childhood, all the /vr/ related merch, internet videos, reviews, an entire fucking imageboard! devoted to classic games, all those roms! being able to play in your own home with connections sound and tvs waaaay better than the hand me down tvs with rf or composite most of us had as kids. Being able to crank up the sound recline on the couch and enjoy the shit out of things I never got as a child.

Cant play as much but the quantity,quality and community is better than I could have ever hoped for as a 10 year old.
>>
>>2907748
Good to know. I'm gonna start saying normie a lot just to piss you off. Faggot.
>>
>>2908305
Agree with this, every aspect of the hobby is better as an adult. The bad part is growing OLD.
>>
>>2908305

Agree with all of that except the community. I had more fun with my friends as a kid than I do with people bitching about everything and console warring on the internet.
>>
>>2908248
>video games WILL stop being as fun after 30

When our generations age out to nursing homes, and half of them are still playing video games of some sort, I'll think of your post with a smile.
>>
tastes changing is actually rarer than you think

the problem is more likely your tastes didnt change. in fact they got more specific as you got older because there is, in most cases, a flood of titles to pick from.

Remember when the only game in town was everquest? (in its genre)

for all genres though eventually it will contract inward on itself like fighting games did.

i find thats where I am in the curve. the stuff that actually satisfys my gaming apetite is after a particular flood has already happened.
>>
>>2907678
How exactly does age limits your enjoyment? I liked ice cream when I was 5 and I keep eating that shit, I also enjoyed TMNT as I do now.

Don't blame your self suggesting crap on age, being cynical is a sing of immaturity.
>>
>>2908135
>I never had a chance to play the original Donkey Kong Country games back in the day. When I picked up on the GBA ports much later, they just felt like generic platformers / collect-a-thons.
Do yourself a favor and play the real deal; DKC GBA ports have worse physics, graphics, music and controls so it's not so weird if it didn't impress you.

Rare had to remake the game engine from scratch for GBA unfortunately. It got progressively better with each game, but the hardware is still inferior to begin with so they couldn't match the originals. Maybe DKC4 utilizing it on DS would've been almost as good... if it hadn't been dropped in favor of that terrible Diddy Kong Racing 'remake'
>>
>>2908348
Neat
>>
>>2908248
You're wrong, anon. I'm 32, and yeah, I mainly play games at night after my son's asleep, and may well do that for the rest of the time he lives here, but I still have just as much fun beating Resident Evil 2 for the 80th time (estimation, BTW) as I did for the 20th time, way the fuck back in 2002.
Furthermore, my dad only really started gaming with Doom (on his windows 3.1 machine) when he was 35. My mom and wife both play games, and they're 58 and 36 respectively. (admittedly, they mainly play tablet games, but the wife loves vehicle combat games too, so...)

Gaming remains fun, as long as you don't let yourself get too jaded, man.

I decided I don't care for most modern games (hate all you want, but they're too damn linear and flashy for me), but I still find ones that interest me to this day.
And when I play older games, I'm more selective now, than I used to be,

For example, when I was 14, I bought every PS1 game I could get my grimy little hands on. Enjoyed some more than others, but had fun all around,.
Now, I play some of those "kinda fun" games, and they're still kinda fun, but I'm not really into "kinda" anything anymore. Because there's enough games out there that I can (and have) build a collection around only my absolute faves for each platform.
That doesn't mean that I actually enjoy anything any less than I ever did. It just means that I'm not willing to waste time on literally ANYTHING like I used to, lol.

Your story may be different, but hey, that's you. Just try not to project so fucking hard next time. OK?
>>
>>2907678
I am terrified when I meet older gamers who watch YT and Let's Plays. When I am younger than them and I can tell that they are seasoned "le retro" gamers and they still watch manchildren like Markiplier, my soul dies a little more.

I wish I was less cynical as well. But when I play games now, I try to give them a fair chance before writing them off.

I find myself these days only really getting into a few games long term. I bought several games over the Steam sale as well as have a ton in my backlog, but all I've been really able to get in to was Xenoblade Chronicles over Christmas Break. To keep it retro, I spent my day playing all my VC games on my 3DS. Learned today that I was too young to read that there was a hard mode in Kirby's Dreamland so I just played easy mode over and over and over as a kid.
>>
>>2908468

could you elaborate on your terror?

i dont understand how that, and your cynicism are connected
>>
>>2908472
That I am not actually getting old, but am just getting too out of the loop for video games as a whole. Like maybe my time with them has passed and I need to give up the hobby. It's hard finding like-minded people who are open about their disdain for the whole YT community and its impact on gaming.
>>
So, this thread is appropriate for me considering a conversation I had with my best friend a few days ago.

Long story short, I've been having a hard time for the past few years playing new games. I see why people like them, and can't bash them as entertainment for others, but I just don't enjoy them myself. So, I've been trying to play older games that I missed out on for whatever reason since childhood.

Great decision on my part. I'm finding new experiences frequently, not wasting money on consoles/games that I don't touch after 3 hours, and not becoming that jaded asshat who sits and plays the same game over and over because "it's the only pure/good/whatever game made."
>>
>>2908147
>dat pic tho
>>
>>2908576
>plays the same game over and over because "it's the only pure/good/whatever game made."
Who does this? I have games I go back to because I don't like the new ones but I am not happy to be returning.
>>
>>2908147
>/mlp/ is the fat nerd
I giggled
>>
>>2908248
29 here. Can definitely relate to getting into JRPGs. That's my crack now.
>>
>>2908612
I can only do them on handhelds.
>>
>>2907678
>Ever tried a /vr/ game as an adult and thought it was meh but you would have loved it if you were younger and less cynical?

Eh, not really. If anything, getting older (and thus more literate and familiar with computers) has made it easier to enjoy games that were simply difficult to play as a kid due to learning curve.
For instance, I would have hated Elite as a kid (or even as a teen), but grinding a game that amounts to "stock market truckers in space" is actually fun now...same thing with shit like Nethack, SMT, system shock 1, etc.

I do, but it's not due to age or cynicism.
Because of the nature of my job (as being boring shit), I play alot of vidya at work. My laptop is a toaster, so 90% of it is /vr/ or sub-/vr/ (early and middle 2000s decade) games.

I literally exhaust libraries. I mean, there's a finite number of old games. Of those games, there's a select number of them that interest me. Of those games, there's only a finite amount of replay value before it becomes unrewarding to continue playing or pushing myself in them.

Thus, I literally play until I run out of games.

As said: I have a terribly dull job that, at times can turn into playing 8 hours of games a day with no repercussions.

I have too much time to play games.
>>
>>2908474

i think that depends on what you get out of your gaming experience.

some folks are getting the competitve, skill demonstrative type of gamer, others want to experience a world, or a narrative.

i imagine different gamers look at those YTers with different eyes.
>>
>>2907780
I feel this way. I used to spend hours on IWD and BG just making parties. Now I just go with the default party and it makes me sad, because its just too easy to make a gimp party. I think that is the reason I know too much know about the system.
>>
File: dangerous_shirt.jpg (25KB, 365x500px) Image search: [Google]
dangerous_shirt.jpg
25KB, 365x500px
>>2908468
>When I am younger than them and I can tell that they are seasoned "le retro" gamers and they still watch manchildren like Markiplier, my soul dies a little more.

Eh, I watch the various faggots on YT, and it doesn't really effect how I see retro gaming. Hell, if anything, most of the YT faggots simply play Game Jolt tier indyshit and tounge-in-cheek rip the ever living hell out of it without all the trendytard faggots being able to catch on. That is, watching markiplier, or pewdiepie, or goddamn toby turner is like watching a TV show: I'm not there for the games, I'm there to watch some faggot make dick and fart jokes while doing an everyday task (playing games)...it's alot like a sitcom.

What gets me is trendfaggotry. You know, little girls who wear shit like pic related but have never actually played zelda, and would be lost if I were to keep meme-ing and say something like "10th enemy has the bomb" or "it's a secret to everybody".
>>
File: younger yukko.jpg (36KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
younger yukko.jpg
36KB, 1280x720px
I actually have started to enjoy older games more now. Even though I was born in 1996 my family never wanted me to have a game console as a kid so I was forced to play everything on our crappy computer. As a result I pretty much had to stick with older stuff, so even as the 7th generation dawned I was still playing 90s PC games. Eventually as a teenager in 2011 I scraped together enough money to buy a used PS3 in hopes of experiencing the HD cinematic shit I was so envious of, but by 2013 I was already burned out on that. Aside the occasional Nip game my PS3 rarely sees use nowadays.

After emerging from a 1-year funk where literally all I fucking played was Dota 2, I started investigating /vr/ and realized that there were decades of gaming history I had little knowledge of, mostly console games. Now I'm a proud owner of a Dreamcast and a Super Famicom (JP model) and a nice Commodore 1702. Interestingly, my favorite genre these days is shmups despite never growing up with them. There's just something about the simplicity and and down-to-earth attitude of failing until you overcome the game with sheer skill that really takes me back to why I originally started playing games in the first place. Currently investigating getting a Saturn; still trying to figure out best prices as well as options for playing burned games (because fuck paying $130 for Radiant Silvergun).

So no, I actually have the opposite feeling OP. As I'm getting older I've come to the conclusion that /vr/ is the only way I can really enjoy games going forward, with a few very rare exceptions (usually from the smaller Japanese development houses).

It's great introducing my friends to /vr/ too, just last night my m8 came over and we played some Ikaruga, he had a blast. Something about the older games just draws people in and within 5 minutes you're both frantically yelling at the TV.
>>
>>2907678
i play trash games i grew up with for fun but I love working through games I heard about growing up but could never afford. I bounce between genres and generations. playing the old stuff makes me want to play later entries and playing new stuff makes me want to get in touch with the old ones. Variety is what keeps me interested.
>>
Guess I'm still young at heart since I feel quite happy to discover a new-to-me old game that I love.
Like when I discovered Moai-kun, I was a very happy camper for several, controller-smashingly frustrating-yet-entertaining days later.

The only thing I no longer seem to get quite a buzz on is jRPGs. Loved them as a kid. I remember the feelings of awe I'd get when a new plot twist was revealed or amazing new location was arrived at. I remember getting the warm-and-fuzzies finishing a jRPG as a kid.

Now, none give me that same sense of wonder, new and old alike. Mostly, I get annoyed at new jRPGs ("this trope /again/?") and let down by old ones ("I actually /liked/ this as a kid? What the fuck was I huffing?").

The closest was a non-/vr/ jRPG.
Radiant Historia for the DS

I do still get the warm-and-fuzzies, but now it's mostly from movies and TV programmes and rarely games.

Anyway, back to playing Lunar Pool.
>>
>>2907678

I Can't enjoy current and last gen video games. Though they are some exceptions, I feel these games hold your hand for too long and play themselves for you. My assumption is due to video games being a mainstream commodity now it has been geared for the average faggot, so those of us that grew up in the golden era feel alienated by this new filth.

I used to be crazy about RPGs when I was a kid, but don't have the time or patience to invest these days.

I play more arcade'y type games, the ones you can just turn on and play and finish in a sitting usually. I enjoy shoot em ups more as an adult then I used to as a child.
>>
>>2907678
>Ever tried a /vr/ game as an adult and thought it was meh but you would have loved it if you were younger and less cynical?

Many times. Though it's not cynicism it's experience. When I was younger almost any game was enjoyable simply because it was a game I got to play. But the more you play the more you recognize good and bad design and figure out what you think is enjoyable in a game. So I'm far more picky about games now than I was when I was younger, and there were many games I spent a lot of time on that I never would now.

I honestly can't say I ever have. It's comes and goes to a degree, but ever since I got my first Atari it's always been one of my favorite pass times and there's always tons to play.

This is the real challenge, especially as I get older. Just finding the time to really devote to a game gets harder and harder. There are games out now that I would love to play but don't even have time to start. So it's usually either portable games or stuff I can pick up and play for a short period of time.
>>
>>2908389
>for all genres though eventually it will contract inward on itself like fighting games did.

What do you mean by this? I think fighters are probably bigger now than they ever were. They maybe don't dominate the gaming market percentage wise like they did in the 90's, but there are masses and masses of people into them these days. Evo gets bigger every year and there are more and more games being focused on.
>>
>>2909163
The way I see it, even though there's a ton of stuff aimed at kids and casual players there's so much volume overall that there's still at least as much good stuff coming out now as there ever was. You just have to dig deeper or know what you're looking for now.
>>
I wish I had the innocence of childhood again. As a kid, you are able to deal with so much bullshit. Doesn't matter if it's a bad or mediocre game. Doesn't matter if you keep dying or whatever. You can keep playing and playing that game for days on end. It's a type of stamina that we simply don't have as adults.
>>
>>2908394
I liked ice cream when I was 5 and I keep eating that shit

You're fucking fat aren't you? Goddamit /vr/
>>
>>2909207
Don't speak for everyone. As a kid I didn't put up with bullshit in games very much: many games were left unfinished and with a contempt towards them. As an adult I reckon most people could outstamina most kids in most games.

The main reason kids have a tendency to love videogames is because they're not able to get forms of entertainment as well yet, less social life and they have a lot less power than adults. I'm pretty sure people who used to count peas used to have a magical glee at seeing their count for the day nearly being up. That's not something you want to go towards. People always talk about ideals of olden times that never even occurred as they claim.
>>
>>2909219
no
>>
>>2908248
You're wrong about the 30 thing.
>>
Got out of gaming for a number of years after high school. Really regretted spending as much time as I did with vidya growing up instead of also playing sports or finding an additional hobby beyond lurking the internet. Now that I have my life together and developed interests in things like fitness and car mechanics my love of games is starting to come back. Picked up a Wii U and Mario Kart 8 and Tropical Freeze are fun in short bursts after work, and I'm thinking about getting a PlayStation or Dreamcast and finally exploring their libraries as well.

Nothing modern interests me which is why I'm here, but who knows what the future will bring.
>>
>>2907678

I don't think I'm any more cynical.

>>2909423
>>2909207

I definitely put up with more bad games as a kid but even then I was pretty good at knowing what I'd like and when I did get a real stinker I got upset by it.

I remember being about 10 and getting Dragon Ball Z Ultimate Battle 22 and being super pissed by how shit it was. This was after I had already known about KoF, Tekken 3, Soul Edge, etc so even if I couldn't explain why it was bad it was pretty obvious it wasn't a good game.
>>
>>2909909
>Wii U and Mario Kart 8 and Tropical Freeze
>>2909909
>Nothing modern
>>
>>2908127
You and I both, friend. I was pretty damn good in my teens and up to my mid-twenties, but after being taken off ADD/ADHD medicine and hitting twenty six/twenty seven it feels like I have lost the magic. I try not to think about the fact that I'm getting older, heh.
>>
>>2909916
I really screwed up my post, I meant nothing modern as mainstream Xbox/PS4/PC gaming goes. Nintendo is still fun.
>>
>>2909894
He's wrong about a lot. But yeah, that bit is particularly wrong.
>>
>>2908248
>And video games WILL stop being as fun after 30
Mark Bussler is 40-something and plays more vidya now then he ever did as a kid.

>How much gaming you do past 25 is directly proportionate to what kind of responsibilities you have
This part is true. Marriage, your career, starting a family, so much can happen between your mid 20s and early 30s that can really kill your hobbies. To say it's guaranteed to kill your enjoyment however is foolish. There are too many variables.
>>
File: 1413406783444.jpg (10KB, 254x210px) Image search: [Google]
1413406783444.jpg
10KB, 254x210px
>>2909964
>Marriage
>starting a family
>>
>>2909991
You may think different when the family you have now starts dying.
>>
File: images.jpg (9KB, 256x179px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9KB, 256x179px
>>2909998
>>
>>2910004
That edgy faggot ruined FFXIII for me.
>>
>>2910082
Meant to say FFVIII

I suck with roman numerals :(
>>
>>2910082

That screenshot's not even real you fucking idiot
>>
>>2910116
Calm your ass burgers down, sparky. It doesn't matter. Squall was still a whiny, emo punk.
>>
>>2910082
>not Zell, Selfie, or Irvine or pretty much anyone and everyone else
I mean yeah Squall wasn't that great but he was at least cooler than the entire rest of the cast.
>>
>>2909920
Nintendo is the only one that keeps their identity, Sony went full cinematic shenanigas, Xbox well it was always bad, PC is a trainwreck.
>>
>>2910603
>>2910603
>Nintendo is the only one that keeps their identity
Nah, look at SNES and NES days, or N64. Nintendo used to be about state of the art tech and being a real, direct competitor with other industry giants. Now it's become all about appealing to the broader audience and non-stop shoving their small, portable fucking cocks down our throats.

Sony has always been about cinematic shenanigans. But I suppose you're right about them in the sense that they only more recently went "full," whereas PS1 and maybe PS2 or even PS3 they were more "half," if you will.

Xbox, as you said, has always been bad. So, they've kept their identity. Really they're the only ones on your list who have done that.

I think PC is great. It's the only acceptable option at this point. Unless you're a huge Nintendo fan, I can see that. But personally I'm not interested in the things they're doing these days, and Xbox is out of the question, and I refuse to spend hundreds of dollars to have a Bloodborn machine. Therefore, PC. And also for other reasons which I'm not going to bother to get into right now.
>>
>>2910325
>Squall was still a whiny, emo punk.

That's the opposite of true.

He was the one who specifically vowed not to cry anymore and he's the one everyone else relies on to actually get shit done.
>>
>>2910882

Squall was a terrible main character. You cannot change this fact.
>>
>>2910603
>>2910629

Nintendo is shit. Has been shit since Yamauchi got out of the picture.

I don't want stupid little faggot gimmicks, or the 167th Mario/Zelda game, or 3 different incompatible revisions of the same goddamn portable that has me swearing up and down I can hear the ghost of Sega-past shrieking and laughing from its hellish purgatory. I just want a competitive console spec-wise, a standard goddamn controller, and a fuckton more focus on gaming. No, half-baked social networking features are not gaming. No, shitty DLC is not gaming. Give me A FUCKING GAME. Not half-a-game-we'll-patch-it-later-honest-guys. Not a glorified tech demo you turned into a "game" with some terrified interns. Give me a finished product. Something that I can just pop in and start up in 15 minutes (or less) and not have my own property constantly trying to run home to mommy server to do a bunch of bullshit I don't even give a tin-plated fuck about.

Nintendo currently does _none_ of what I just ranted to you about satisfactorily. None whatsoever.
>>
>>2910629
first xbox was great, fuck off hipster
>>
>>2910912
> Something that I can just pop in and start up in 15 minutes (or less) and not have my own property constantly trying to run home to mommy server to do a bunch of bullshit I don't even give a tin-plated fuck about.

It sounds like you hear about modern games but never actually play them. Patching is pretty rare and takes almost no time. I can't even remember the last time I booted up a game and it needed to.

I just play a lot of games. Most of my experience is just popping something in and playing.

As for Nintendo, I don't have any of their current consoles but the 3DS has a truckload of awesome games that are just pick up and play. I literally just flip it open and am in a game in less than a minute.
>>
As I get older, I grow more tired of super serial adult oriented games, and crave more age neutral games, which are few and far between.
>>
>>2911593
>Patching is pretty rare and takes almost no time

Patching time depends on your interment connection, not everyone has a decent connection.
Also LOL at patching being rare. I own a PS4 and the only game that didn't have a day one mutli gigabyte patch waiting for me as soon as I inserted the disc was Transformers Devestation. Saying patching is rare is bullshit and you know it.
>>
>>2911650
>PS4
Okay yeah, I have a friend with a PS4 and when his had to patch it took a stupid long time. On my 360, I seriously can't remember the last time I needed to patch something and when it did happen it was never long. Maybe internet connection has something to do with it, but mine isn't incredible Even still, it's just never bothered me. But then I've been dealing with patches in PC games almost since we've had the internet.

At any rate, that guy was talking about Nintendo and I was mostly talking about the 3DS. That thing does do patches and updates for some games, but they're rare and usually short. In terms of time spent patching versus time spent playing, it's probably not even close to 1%.
>>
>>2910947
The only good game for it was Ninja Gaiden, and maybe Halo 1. You fuck off, annoying kid.
>>
File: coolest man in japan.jpg (41KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
coolest man in japan.jpg
41KB, 800x600px
At 26, I take a hearty toke before playing any games.
>>
>>2907678
My taste is pretty much the same but I do have a different opinion on timesinks.

As a kid I loved if a game had a lot of filler because hell yeah, more to do and it's not like I have anything else to do with my time.

Now I am hyper aware of things which are unnecessarily tedious.
>>
>>2913360
I concur. I don't necessarily dislike long games, but I can't get through JRPGs anymore because I can't justify spending 90 hours doing mind-numbing combat just to get 10 hours of story. Might as well just watch an anime and then play a shmup if I still feel like playing a game.
>>
>>2908625
Hey, have you considered /making/ games in all your spare time rather than just playing them? Start out easy with something like game maker, and you'll have fun while learning a thing or two if that's your cup of tea.
>>
As for getting old, I'm 30 and I feel like after I turned 20, time went by FAR too fast.
I can remember very specific things about all my childhood and teens years. A year seemed like a pretty long time when I was a kid and a teen, but somehow after I turned 20 up until now, it's like a blur in my memory, I can tell 10 years have passed, but it doesn't seem that long AT ALL, more like 3 or 4 years, or more if I remember how long a year seemed to me when I was a kid.

I started browsing 4chan when I was 21 or so, and I feel it hasn't been that long but it's been fucking 9 years. I see the advent of cell phones and smart phones as something very recent, like I don't really feel it's been that long since the SMS boom started circa 2005. Then came 3G, 4G, android, etc and I feel like it all happened over night.

It's a really weird feeling. I wonder how fast will time pass until I reach 40.

Sorry for the blogging.
>>
i never know what to play. so i let an application i have to track all my games choose for me. its called my game collection
>>
>>2914638
That's a recognized psychological occurrence, if I remember right it has to do with the way the brain processes patterns, as an adult you simply have more basic routines more or less programmed into you and your brain partially shuts off in these situations. As a kid shit is more novel, as an adult not so much.
>>
>>2914638
I have to agree on the time going too fast. I'm 31 and it seems like time accelerates every year. It makes me a little sad.

>>2907678
Vidya is still fun, but there is simply way less time to play them. Other responsibilities need to occupy my time first. I find it easier to just take my own pace on some of the older games I did not have a chance to play back then - focusing on too many games (new and old) can feel overwhelming.
>>
I literally feel like this when I watch videos of young people playing video games online. They don't have nearly the amount of experience and history that we do with games. I think I would have thought Quest 64 was a masterpiece had I first played it when I was younger. I just see too many faults in it now that I'm an adult.
>>
>>2914638
>>2915597

I'm a bit younger (27) and I definitely feel the same way. Sure, I have more things and experiences and freedoms than I did as a kid, but as a kid I really didn't know enough to feel desperation about what I lacked. Yeah, there were games that I longed for (yes, a superficial want, but I was a nerdy suburban kid in the US), but I got enough to keep me happy and what did make me happy REALLY made me happy. Now it feels like for each new thing I learn or opportunity that I pursue I recognize two more that I am missing out on.

To tie it into the thread, I think I'm finding that,as I get older, I am more in love with the idea of games as opposed to playing them - if that makes any sense. Like, the SMB3 in my mind is far more magical and wondrous than the experience I have when sitting down and actually playing it. Probably has something to do with my mental summary of SMB3 being formed when I was a kid and when the game was more magical to me or something. I still remember fantasizing about the different World 1 map on the back of the box and longing to find World 0 or something like that. As a kid the games felt much bigger and more mysterious than they do today (see Pokemon: Mew under the truck and Pikablu).
>>
>>2915657
I think we experience the phenomenon because as time go be, we have less and less new experiences. As a kid, even visiting the next town for the first time could be an adventure, but if you do it now, it's just meh. You won't remember a thing about the trip. It's the same thing with "oh, I've left the oven on". The first day or weeks at a new workplace will pass less slowly than the last weeks at the previous. It all depends on how new the situation is. As you grew older, we learn more and more about the world which surrounds us, and our mind becomes less alert, and we become less cautious and conscious.

I also feel the same. I've also had these secret levels in my head, that I can reach somehow in the DKC trilogy, I just have to find a way how. I have fond memories of games up until the age of 15-16 I think. I know that I enjoy and perceive the games I have grew up with in a different way than now. However I don't think it's a bad thing, or something I should feel sorry for. I'm happy that it happened. I'm aware that I was in a different mindset, but I'm glad that I can remember this. I can pick up this memory of mine playing WoW for the first time or playing the same levels in Castlevania IV over and over again because I loved the music so much. I just pick up these memories, and I can feel this warm, kind, and innocent feeling.

What I miss when I play today is this kind of immersion. I could play the same thing over and over again, yet it felt new each time. Now I just run trough the games I have, and barely play them again.

Another thing I have noticed is that I'm more picky. I could easily play whit a pice of shit game back then. No matter how confused or annoyed I was, I just kept on going. Nowadays even if I play with a good game, if it does not hit certain notes (whic I can not describe) then I just drop it. However this is a thing, I'm happy I've left in the past.
>>
>>2914312
Eh, I do all sorts of things other than play games.

In making mods for doom, I've discovered that the worst part of making games is the whole asset creation process. Waaaaay too tedious for me to have fun with it.

Good suggestion though.
>>
>>2907678
No, actually I got the opposite, I wonder how I could play certain garbage back in the day, though in a few cases I still do love that garbage.
> Ever went through a phase where you genuinely can't enjoy vidya?
No, I enjoy new games just like I did back in the days, though I am more picky and usually ponder for quite a lot whether I really want to buy one, I used to be more carefree when I was younger.
I also enjoy old games a lot more now, granted that I'm also more critical when it comes to them, but I enjoy playing stuff like Commander Keen or Castlevania even more than I did back then.
That's the biggest probelm actually, nowadays I only play on the train when I commute and a few hours in the weekend, kind of miss the days when I would just come home from school and play for hours, though truth to be told, I don't have the endurance anymore, I can play for a 3-4 hours at best and then I really feel tired, and I do need to take pauses now.
Thread posts: 108
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.