[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New High Score

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 8

File: score.png (752B, 156x156px) Image search: [Google]
score.png
752B, 156x156px
What's the last score based /vr/ game you played that's not an arcade game or a port of an arcade game? Did you play for a high score?
>>
Prolly ketsui or some CAVE shit, but I don't play for score. Most retro scoring systems are poorly thought-out. I think speedruns are more popular and interesting these days.
>>
File: Foto-0030.jpg (257KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
Foto-0030.jpg
257KB, 1280x960px
DK arcade for a thread a couple weeks ago here.
>>
The way I see it, score in most console games is almost always pointless unless you can consistently pull of a perfect no-death run, due to how milking from death abuse works, etc. Otherwise it just becomes a boring game of reloading the same checkpoint over and over to milk points.
>>
>>2907092
really depends on if the game was made for scoring or not, like CV3 has scoring but it's stupid easy to just go somewhere like stage 9 and grind fleamen until you've maxed the scoreboard.
>>
>>2907095
To be honest I can't think of many examples that did it right, mostly shmups I guess.
>>
I've never played games for scores desu
>>
>>2907112
>desu
Fuck off, weeb
>>
Blitter Boy and no.
>>
>>2907117
it's a wordfilter baka
>>
>>2907117

baka desu senpai
>>
>>2907117
Make me, cowboy.
>>
>>2907201

No, it's Amerifat- don't give him the dignity of the title "cowboy", even ironically. It's long since we Americans could do anything short of reaching for the remote and squalling to our fatass wives for another bottle of pisswater.
>>
File: 68k.png (59KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
68k.png
59KB, 640x480px
Cho Ren Sha 68k. And yes.

I still suck at that game, though.
>>
>>2907068
Puggsy, the score is pretty meaningless in it so I didn't. You can grind up an infinite score if you want to easily.
>>
File: wolf3d.gif (28KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
wolf3d.gif
28KB, 640x400px
>>2907068
>>
>>2907079
>CAVE
>not arcade ports
what?
>>
File: 1452383472600.jpg (31KB, 368x368px) Image search: [Google]
1452383472600.jpg
31KB, 368x368px
>>2907068
Tetris Attack, endless mode. The score tops out at 99999, so really it's how fast you can get there that's important. It's the only joy I get out of the game anymore because I stomp the AI and have no friends who can come close to challenging me in Vs.
>>
Vib-Ribbon. I usually don't play for score because custom music usually don't get you shit for points. The most I got was 9000+ from the first part of Shine on You Crazy Diamond.
>>
>>2907068
>not an arcade game or a port of an arcade game
>the tism is strong with this one
I scored over 9000 in teh pokemans
>>
>>2908583
kill yourself
>>
>>2908583
I can't kill my self. When my HP get to zero i just faint. You are as much a faggot as OP if you don't understand that.
>>
>>2908583
I tried to avoid arcade games, because one of their primary draws is competition. The machines are usually played by multiple people and scoring is extremely common, to determine who's best.
On home consoles though, where it's usually just a single player, and credits are "free", scoring is more of a leftover. It rarely makes sense, and people correctly mentioned it's often trivial to go for max score.
>>
>>2908621
>I tried to avoid arcade games bcuz i suk
makes sense
>>
>>2908621
Even in arcade games the scoring system is often pretty broken. Metal Slug has loads of points where you can stop and milk infinitely respawning enemies for 2 minutes and random items with varying point values.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVYiqmX5MvE

R-Type 1 has a milkable checkpoint that you repeat for half an hour until you run out of extends.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QUHsHli_uo
Most arcades reward you for clearing the game in one life or dramatically boost your score by playing the second loop. It's often more profitable to survive as long as possible than to collect items.
All those items you collect in arcade games are there as a red herring.
>>
>>2908926
>pretty broken
Just say artificially something. You know you want to.
>>
File: 1436892378895.png (206KB, 478x356px) Image search: [Google]
1436892378895.png
206KB, 478x356px
>>2908621
Competition is the entire point behind why scoring systems existed in the first place. Why would anyone wanna focus on score for a game where it's a complete after thought instead of the main draw?
>>
>>2909172
Nah, it's just boring. A perfect run in metal slug games until 6 involves sitting down at infinite respawning places and knifing the same two respawning soldier enemies until the timer runs out, then rushing to the next checkpoint that refreshes the timer.

In metal slug 3/2/X there are multiple doll, teddy bear and gem items that are worth 5000 points and may or may not appear at certain places, if you miss too many of them in a row due to no fault of your own the run is ruined and you'd better reset. The scoring was never really supposed to be taken seriously in these games.
>>
>>2908076

One of my favorite games, there were times I went into zen mode and stomped all my friends with >10 combo with an ease, and even dreamt nights of stacking them blocks... Ah good times, damn have to play that sucker again
>>
>>2909172
>artificial difficulty
>artificial length
>artificial fun
>artificial popularity
I have seriously heard "artificial popularity" used unironically on /v/.
>>
>>2910787
It's not artificial though, I'm saying it's plain bad.
You guys overrate arcade games too much, most of the time the designer doesn't know what he is doing since so few people care anyway, he just looks at a late game enemy and thinks "this thing is hard to kill, it is worth 500 points".
>>
File: OldGregg.jpg (62KB, 650x380px) Image search: [Google]
OldGregg.jpg
62KB, 650x380px
>>2908583
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.