[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Earthbound 64 thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (51KB, 300x373px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51KB, 300x373px
Does /vr/ remember this?
>>
>>2904403

Yes. One day...
>>
I wish it had come to fruition.
I cri
>>
Somehow I want to translate this image to find out what it says. The text is very low-res, and it would be difficult to. Nintendo of Japan still has the webpage but the text is a mess of characters and symbols that I am unable to translate.
I'm sure it summarizes the mechanics and characters, setting, etc.
>>
>>2904418
Change the page encoding
>>
>>2904403
>Earthbound 64

Baby don't hurt me....
>>
Just how much of Earthbound 64 was completed before it was cancelled?
>>
>>2904990
I seem to remember about 45% or so? I think they talked about completion on the itoi and iwata interview from a few years back.

Then the only english-speaking guy who worked with Nintendo on the GBA version, and who got to play the prototype, said that the entire tazmily village and I assume full first chapter was ready.

I think they had different set pieces for the game, tazmilly, the desert, the forest, which were playable at nintendo spaceworld 99.
>>
>>2904418
>Nintendo of Japan still has the webpage but the text is a mess of characters and symbols that I am unable to translate.

Link it?
>>
Honest question from someone interested in this series, albeit borderline non-retro in the question's nature:

Earthbound 64 vs Mother 3 for the GBA, good adaptation or a lost opportuniy?
>>
File: earthbound-64-spaceworld-99.jpg (604KB, 1200x1506px) Image search: [Google]
earthbound-64-spaceworld-99.jpg
604KB, 1200x1506px
Okay, here's the pic in high res, want me to translate it?
>>
>>2904418
If you're using Firefox: View > Text Encoding > Auto-Detect > Japanese

You're welcome
>>
>>2905018

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/event/spacew99/sokuho/28/soft/mother3/
>>
>>2905040
Hmm, seems like it's the same as >>2905029. Will you translate it or should I? If you'd use MT, I'll do actual translation myself.
>>
File: mother_enemies_trans.jpg (610KB, 1563x1148px) Image search: [Google]
mother_enemies_trans.jpg
610KB, 1563x1148px
>>2905045

Feel free to translate
>>
>>2904403
I remember hearing about it around the time of the gba translation release and it seemed pretty interesting but honestly I'm glad they did it on gba. Because 1. it would have been less likely for a fan translation and 2. it wouldn't have had the same charm as the first two earthbound games. Or rather it wouldn't have felt like a proper successor. They did an amazing job on the gba game and I'm not really disappointed at all that it's what replaced earthbound 64
>>
>>2905046
Okay then. Part by part.

マゲーを通して、家族の絆を考えてみる。
Through Mother games, reflect about family bonds.

Mother 3 豚王の最期
Mother 3 Last Moment's of The Pig King

2000年5月発売予定
開発度 50%
予定価格6800円(税別)
Planned for release in May 2000
50% completed
Planned price 6800 yen (without tax)

糸井重里がおくる人気RPGシリーズ第3弾。深い森に閉ざされた小さな村で、キミはどんな物語に触れるのだろうか?
The third entry in Shigesato Itoi's popular RPG series. What kind of story awaits you in a small villaged enclosed by woods?

父親のフリント
双子のリュカ
双子のクラウス
愛犬のボニー
Flint - the father
Lucas - twin brother
Claus - twin brother
Boney - pet dog
>>
>>2905053
この物語の主人公は、ある平和な村に住んでいる4人の家族+一匹の犬。ある日、近くの入り江に正体不明の物体が現れてから、村に異常な出来事が起こるようになりました。
The protagonists of this story are four members of a family living in a certain quiet village and their dog. Ever since once day an unidentified object appeared in a nearby bay, weird things started happening in the village.

さらに森の奥から聞こえてくる、不気味で恐ろしい叫び声。 「森で何かがおきている!!」 父親であるフリントは、森を、村を、そして愛する家族を守るため、森の奥へと向かうのでした…
From deeper parts of the forest, a terrifying eerie scream is heard. "Something's happening in the forest!!" To save it, the village and his beloved family, the father Flint heads out deep into the forest.
>>
>>2905058
楽しさとハラハラドキドキ感を詰め込んだ一作になっています!
It's a game full of enjoyment, suspense and excitement!

全?章
今度のマザーないくつかの章に分かれている。各章によって、主人公が変わるけれど、全章を通してひとつの物語として成り立っているから、一人一人が生きている。
? chapters in total
This Mother game will be divided into several chapters. Each chapter will have a different protagonist and together they'll form the story, so each of them is important.

バトル
RPGには欠かせないバトルを普通じゃない。走って跳んで体当たり!リズムにのって連続攻撃!戦略性もプラスしているから、敵との駆け引きが大事になるぞ。
Battles
The fundamental element of RPGs, battles, aren't the usual either. Run, jump, ram! Follow the pattern to attack continuously! Elements of strategy are deeper this time, so tactics in battle become crucial.
>>
>>2905094
マホウ
使うタイミングがポイントだ。戦闘中の場所の「エナジー」を利用して、強力な「マホウ」を使うことができる。ただし使いすぎると頭がオーバーヒートしてしまうので注意!
Magic
Timing is of the utmost importancy. Harnessing the battlefield's "energy", you can use powerful magics. But be careful, if you overuse them your head will overheat.

etc.
バトルを盛り上げるBGMも、正統派からちょっと?系まで様々。それにストーリー以外のところで盛り上がる変なイベントも盛りだくさん。思わず笑っちゃうかも。
etc.
Varied BGMs ranging from the orthodox to little what? will bring the battles to climax. Outside from the main plot all sorts of strange events are ready for you. You might even burst out laughing.

And that's it.
>>
>>2905116

Thanks for the translation anon.

I personally like how the GBA version turned out, but it would have been admittedly interesting to play the original version, especially because of the battle system that implemented environment attributes, which I guess was changed for the rhythmic combo system on GBA which was also nice, but more of a secondary thing and not really mandatory.
>>
>>2905116
>戦闘中の場所の「エナジー」を利用して
>Harnessing the battlefield's "energy"

Upon further reflection, I realized this is wrongly translated.
It's more like
>Using your position in battle

The usage of the word "energy" in the sentence was a bit confusing at first.

To properly explain what they mean, it's probably that the posibilities to use magic change depending on the course of battles and also the enviroment.
>>
File: EARTHBINDDOH2.jpg (13KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
EARTHBINDDOH2.jpg
13KB, 320x240px
Unseen64 probably has the biggest collection of pictures from it.

https://www.unseen64.net/2008/04/04/mother-3-earthbound-64-n64-cancelled/

R.I.P.
>>
>>2904403
God how I wish the 64DD blunder never happened and all the DD games were just released on carts. A fair handful of those games were but the 64's library would've seemed much stronger with Earthbound, Fire Emblem, Dragon Warrior, Diablo and Resi Zero among the others...
>>
>>2904418
I can read most of it
>>
>>2905025
IMO the switch was for the better. EB64 would have had the graphics you see here and been released so late that the GameCube demos would have already been out (like the famous Zelda videos) so it would have been unimpressive at the time. On the other hand during development EB was just starting to get US traction again thanks to early internet and emulation plus Ness's appearance in Smash.

But I think ultimately the game being on the N64 would have made it too much of a departure. Except for a handful of things Mother 3 is barely related to Mother 1 and 2, but its graphical style on the GBA serves to link the games together thematically and make them feel like a series more. Plus I'm scared to see how the battles could have looked on the N64, part of ,e thinks they would have gone for an FF7/8/9 PARTY ON A GENERIC FIELD style which would also be inconsistent, and while you could make some rad ass 3d psychedelic backgrounds for a properly done DQ/EB style battle it would have been a REALLY hard sell to casuals in 2000/2001.

I think the GBA game is better off in the long run, although the N64 version is an interesting curiosity and a look into a time where Nintendo was willing to take more risks.
>>
>>2905049
Hype for EB64 was pretty big in America, lots of people were rediscovering the series thanks to Smash and emulation. The fact that it had a solicited English title proves to me that they intended to release it in the US.
>>
File: 300px-OnettMother3.jpg (8KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
300px-OnettMother3.jpg
8KB, 300x225px
I wonder if 64 would have gone into more detail about what happened to Ness.
>>
>>2905435
Same thing that happened to Ninten. He lived happily ever after.
>>
>>2905281
Thats a really interesting website, thank you for posting the link, Anon.
>>
i still have all of my old nintendo powers with early mother 3 coverage. itoi stated that several chapters were cut from the final version that was released on GBA. the original trailer showcased a minecart sequence with lucas and claus that most likely would have occurred at the game's outset. i think i remember reading that 4 chapters were cut from Mother 3.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.