[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

N64 Maintenence

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: n64-pixels.gif (13KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
n64-pixels.gif
13KB, 256x256px
I pulled my N64 out of the garage after 5 or 6 years of disuse and now it hardly plays games. I got Pokemon Snap working for about a half hour (in which time it operated perfectly) and then it cut out I haven't been able to get it to show the N64 logo at all.

Besides cleaning the contacts in the system (having ruled out the cartridge by now) with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol, are there other things I should be doing to get an N64 back into shape? Any components which are prone to fail, or which I should test?

Thanks.
>>
Why would you put it in your garage where it gets freezing cold and humid and all that? You couldn't keep it indoors in a closet or something? That poor nintendo....

Shame on you.
>>
>>2898442
I know. It mostly wasn't up to me, just the conditions that my possessions ended up in whilst I was off to college. And I believe it's only been in the garage for a year or two, so I'm not sure that's even a major factor.

My mom doesn't know any better and I'm down to buy another N64 if I have to; just wanna know what I should do now that I'm having issues.
>>
>>2898384
Try removing and cleaning the contacts on the Memory Expansion Pak or Jumper Pak. If these do not make good contact the system won't boot at all.
>>
Probably a psu issue.
>>
File: IbUXc.jpg (168KB, 1144x848px) Image search: [Google]
IbUXc.jpg
168KB, 1144x848px
>>2898384

You could take a quick look at the capacitors to see if any of them are swollen.
>>
It's just dust. Don't waist your time with capacitors or anything. N64s will not play with a dirty cart, and garages are perfect for making shit dusty. Lots of things that create dust in a garage & lots of things to constantly stir up that dust.

Get some Q-tips & rubbing alcohol & clean your cart's contacts. Dont wait for it to dry it's rubbing alchohal it's non-conductive. If it still doesn't work put lots of rubbing alchohal on the cart pop it in & out then clean it it'll clean the N64's contacts. If you wanna get best results get some contact cleaner & spray it on the pins inside your system & pop a cart in & out then clean it. It'll work good as new.
>>
Also make sure your memory pak isn't a 3rd part piece of shit. 3rd party expansion paks don't last 10 years like Nintendo brand ones do.
>>
Any luck OP?
>>
>>2904909

This.

I had a similar issue with a few secondhand cartridges I picked up at various garage sales. You'd be surprised how much fucking dirt can accumulate on those cartridges
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.