[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Component mod or s-video?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 7

File: snesvideo.jpg (34KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
snesvideo.jpg
34KB, 500x375px
Is it worth it to mod my console or should I just get an existing S-video? Live in Alaska so sourcing a scart tv is not an option.
>>
Just use S-video, it's a huge step up. You are honestly wasting your time modding for Component/RGB with a regular SNES
>>
The SNES doesn't really shine with rgb as much as Segas consoles. S video on the SNES is really very good, using quality cables. Avoid any s video cable that includes a composite video lead...most on eBay or anywhere else online do this so look carefully.
>>
http://pastebin.com/rH2h6C7W
>>
>>2896709
Good post buddy.
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (95KB, 1590x838px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
95KB, 1590x838px
>>2896553
thank you
>>2896681
Good thing I checked back. Almost ordered one with composite. saved me bro!
>>2896709
Very informative, thanks.

Looks like I'll be getting an oem cable. ~$30 used isn't too bad and I can use it on my n64 and gc as well. OR would this be okay?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NINTENDO-GAMECUBE-S-VIDEO-HIGH-QUALITY-FULLY-SHIELDED-GROUNDED-GC-SVIDEO-/201489936830?hash=item2ee9bc71be:g:B7gAAOSwNyFWgYLX

a/v out general?
>>
>>2896537
Well modding isn't necessary; you can get a third party RGB cable + a RGB to component transcoder.
>>
>>2896789
Good tip.
>>
another vote for csy 2100 or clone and rgb scart cables
>>
S-Video looks really good and is a great option for retro consoles. RGB and component look even better, but you get into a lot of expense and diminishing returns really quickly. If you just want your games to look good and don't want to buy a bunch of special equipment to get everything absolutely perfect, just but a good quality S-Video cable and be done with it.
>>
>>2896779
I bought the same type and it works great! Just make sure it isn't too short.
>>
Component is technically the better link but sometimes S-video can actually look better, believe it or not. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d6DpGuXQ48
>>
I'm thinking about just adding an s video jack to my SNES...
>>
>>2896779
I have bought cables from that guy, and they are well build and works fine, they are little bit short tough.
>>
>>2896850
It does seem to get quite expensive.
>>2897104
I didnt measure but its a small cabinet. should be fine.
>>2897107
Also changed my mind and saved me a few bucks

ps1-2, snes, n64, gc, wii for $46 with >>2896779and monster cables.
>>
File: deus vult.png (1MB, 1162x850px) Image search: [Google]
deus vult.png
1MB, 1162x850px
>mfw just bought a RGB-component transcoder
>mfw waiting for console-specific cables in the mail

I'll finally get to see what my genesis is fully capable of, instead of being all blurry because the next best option is only composite. I was honestly fine with S-video for my SNES, but if I got the RGB box, might as well go RGB. Same with my saturn.
>>
>>2896553
>modding for component/rgb with a regular snes

Yeah, he's wasting his time
BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE TO MOD IT, IT OUTPUTS RGB NATIVELY
>>
>>2898036
3D graphics will not look nearly as good upscaled as 2D sprites.
>>
>>2898043
When did I mention upscaling?
>>
What's the best way to hook up a NES? The thing looks horrid compared to my Master System's RGB.
>>
>>2899112
Composite.

RGB and HDMI mods half replace the PPU. Also the PlayChoice PPUs have the wrong colors.
>>
>>2899112
The graphics chip on the NES processes everything in composite, so anything better than composite requires an emulator, a hardware clone, or an expensive mod (NESRGB) to basically replace the PPU as anon above said.

But hey, we did better than the Japanese, the original Famicom couldn't even output composite, only RF.
>>
>>2899243
>we
>implying NES units weren't designed and manufactured in Japan
>>
File: Z0068232.jpg (40KB, 1024x433px) Image search: [Google]
Z0068232.jpg
40KB, 1024x433px
>>2896779
Now that looks like one hell of a cable. Can't imagine that cable having signal issues.
Just keep in mind SNES, N64 & GC all use the same composite/svideo cables and GC has an official svideo monstercable. And keep in mind that GC outputs 480P, which can ONLY be displayed with Nintendo's official component cables.
>>
>>2897107
On PS2 the ONLY games that do not look like shit through component cables are games that support 480P, which accounts for less than 10% of the entire library. Everything else looks a hell of a lot better with just svideo.
>>
>>2896681
What's the problem with s video cable that includes component?
>>
>>2901516
You mean composite. Usually but not always cables that offer both are just offering composite by two different means. Bottom line- don't buy a cheap s video cable.
>>
>>2899243
I don't even understand how people play famicoms on US TVs. When I bought my super famicom (because they're far cheaper than SNES even with import costs), I tried testing out the RF signal. But it turns out that jap signals aren't the same as american, so the proper place to be able to view the image is if you go to channel like 96. But even then, the actual channel it's on is like 96.5, so you get a blurry horrible mess of a picture because you can't tune in halfway between channels.
>>
>>2901173
>GC outputs 480P, which can ONLY be displayed with Nintendo's official component cables.
I fucking hate ninty for making these things damn near impossible to get and putting the chip in the cable for some stupid fucking reason, which makes 3rd party ones impossible.

At least now you can just use a Wii to output GC games in 480p and component. But even then, you still can't do gameboy player with a nice image. No idea why they decided to output gameboy stuff in blurry 480i instead of 240p
>>
>>2901573
>not playing gameboy games on a handheld
what are you doing
>>
>>2901573
The chip in the cable is a DAC, which does a few things. By having the DAC in the cable, you reduce interference from within the console, e.g., I heard that the PS2 Phat's fan can cause interference, but I haven't noticed it on mine.

Also, since the port is actually a digital port, you can technically have a HDMI port if you know how. Fortunately, someone reverse engineered the DAC, so you can have HDMI or DVI out on your Gamecube, and even possibly component. It's called GC-video.
>>
>>2901621
The gameboy screen is absolute pigshit. Nobody can deny that.
>>
>>2901683
If you're talking about GBA games an SP or a DS will play them fully lit just fine. They have a 240x160 resolution you don't want to be blowing that up to a much bigger screen.
>>
>>2901539
I own a S-Video + Composite cable for PS1 and now you got me fucking paranoid.
>>
>>2901709
http://www.micro-64.com/features/svideo.shtml

Read and see if you got a good S-video cable.
>>
File: tmp_17131-WhiteVader1617389980.jpg (28KB, 200x519px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_17131-WhiteVader1617389980.jpg
28KB, 200x519px
What would be the best way to hook up a WiiU (for Homebrew channel emulation) to a CRT?

Mind you this would be for many different consoles.

Pic unrelated.
>>
>>2901720
I read it and now I'm even more upset. Because I thought the checkerboard effect is native to s-video and I actually love it. I see it as a form of dithering that helps blend colors in more, or fills up empty spaces in large blurry textures. Godammit.
>>
>>2901867
component if your tv has it. s video if it doesn't.

bamp
>>
>>2896537
Get a framemeister (or the $50 upcscaler if you're poor) and use sheidled CSYNC scart cables.
>>
>>2901176
Ignore this post, component is the only way PS2 should be displayed.
>>
>>2905234
see
>>2897107
>>
>>2905225
I have a crt with composite/svideo/component inputs and would like to use that instead of my lcd. I did research and know that rgb seems the best but the cost was too much for me right now. will do if I invest in a bvm.

I already bought all the cables listed above. Wii cable already came in. But now some virtual console games look weird

- get artifacts or green at the leading edge of smb3

-zelda looks great though?
>>
>>2905242
I saw. The mistake is judging by the image output of a capture device or display of anything other than a CRT.
>>
>>2905245
OP, I'd say just stick with S-Video. If you aren't doing to RGB route, S-vid is your best bet. I would be interested in experimenting with a component mod, but they aren't really common and I'm sure will be more expensive than an s-vid cable.
>>
>>2905269
yes I got shielded dedicated svid for everything except the Wii since i play that on my flat panel and the crt has component in. Gonna try it on the crt today.
>>
>>2905280
almost forgot

Thank you to everyone who gave advice and information. You saved me some dollarydoos and taught me about the pros and cons of different connection options.
>>
>>2905280
Coo. I'm the one that suggested the framemeister. Definitely look into that in the future after you save a bit of money. With the correct LCD/LED (low input lag), it is stunning to look at.
>>
>>2897107
I see the video, but why is it that S-Video is better than Component for PS2?
>>
>>2905253
Not really you'll see the same thing on a CRT. Some systems just don't handle 480i over component that well. I think the Saturn is another one that looks a bit washed out.
>>
I have a PAL N64. What's the best way to hook it up? I hear it doesn't support RGB SCART.
>>
>>2905375
from my research interlaced over component is no bueno and there isnt that many games that run in progressive. ps1 cant use component so theres that too.
>>
>>2905245
>get artifacts or green at the leading edge of smb3

That's actually just part of the game and the way it draws the area ahead of you. It was intended to be in the overscan area though, so most people didn't see it on their old TVs.

If it bothers you a lot, you can go into your TV's service menu and change the picture so it gets overscanned.
>>
>>2905641
S-video, N64 doesnt support RGB-scart without modding.
>>
>>2901702
If you use a gameboy player with the gameboy interface homebrew app to play them in 240p instead of 480i, GBA games actually look damn good on a CRT.

Don't even need any special peripherals, necessarily. You can put the homebrew on a GC memory card using a softmodded wii and then run it through an exploit in smash bros melee. Don't even need the GB player startup disc.
>>
File: paln64svideog.png (18KB, 683x519px) Image search: [Google]
paln64svideog.png
18KB, 683x519px
>>2905641
>>2905697
also on PAL N64 you need to mod the cable or the console
>>
>>2905697
I'm not a Eurofriend but I'm almost positive PAL N64s do not support S-Video out of the box, either.
>>
>>2905716
So the best euros can get from the N64 is composite without modding. Damn.

I mean, if there's ONE console to go without good signal quality, it's the N64 due to the way that it uses blur and filtering for everything, so it could be worse.
>>
>>2901867
Heads up Wii U doesn't support 240p, 480i is the lowest it'll go, I'd say hook it up to a HD CRT with component or HDMI and put its resolution at 480p
>>
>>2905703
I thought if you did that with Melee it would launch in 480i (or 480p if your playing on a non SD CRT TV)?
>>
>>2905856
Gameboy Interface boots up my GBA games in glorious 240p.
>>
>>2905860
While using Melee or SD Media Launcher?
>>
>>2905867
melee. You're just using melee as a way to run unsigned code. It doesn't matter than melee is running in 480i; when GBI boots up, it's in 240p.

It's really nice seeing games like Zero Mission with scanlines instead of being blurry and flickering from interlacing.
>>
>>2896681

RGB is still a very noticeable upgrade from S-Video, anon. You're blind if you can't tell, but you aren't necessarily incorrect.

I'm lucky enough to not need to mod my SNES for RGB.
>>
>>2905912
No, it really isnt in terms of the SNES... The jump you will see from s video to rgb is ho-hum in comparison with composite to s video.
Considering the hassle that the vast majority of users in NA has to do to even bother with rgb, there is no point.

For what it's worth, I do run rgb on my Genesis and Saturn, as well as my PC Engine...but skipped it on my SNES.
>>
>>2906390
Enjoy your brownish NTSC reds.
>>
File: mjcover.jpg (31KB, 475x347px) Image search: [Google]
mjcover.jpg
31KB, 475x347px
>>2906390

I've tried comparisons on my BVM as well as my LG HDTV+XRGB mini.

The difference is absolutely there, anon. Absolutely. You have to be blind to not notice.

See the comparison shots of Link on this page: http://retrorgb.com/rgbintro.html

That right there from my experience, is pretty accurate.

Does Genesis benefit more? Hell yes. Is there a noticeable difference between S-Video and RGB on SNES? Hell yes. Is there any reason why S-Video isn't a viable option? Hell no, it is plenty viable. But if you want that extra kick you can certainly get it.

Stop lying to yourself.
>>
>>2906638
rgb is objectively the best output for /vr/ consoles but without the proper display it seems moot and needs a comparatively complex connection.

budget retra
FD trinitron
Svid cables

vs.
fd trinitron
scart cable
scart to component adapter
component cable.

not everyone has money and or access to a pvm-bvm

is there a loss of quality or lag introduced by using an adapter?
>>
>>2906638
I am from RGB land. While the differences are noticiable, the jump is nowhere near that coming composite. You get a bit of edge ringing, and in case of NTSC, reds tend to bleed.
Also with rgb-component transcoders, you often need to adjust pots inside to get better colors.
DC and beyond do benefit more from going rgb.
>>
>>2905721
>>2905716
Actually the non-special edition N64 consoles output S-video, but it has lighting fucked up what needs a cable mod to be fixed.
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.