[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT games that aged like wine

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 188
Thread images: 26

File: Sword_of_the_Samurai.png (7KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
Sword_of_the_Samurai.png
7KB, 320x200px
ITT games that aged like wine
>>
>aged
>>
Games don't age, champ.
>>
So... a game which for a decade or two got supposedly better, but inevitably turns bitter like vinegar?
>>
File: yoshi's island.png (8KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
yoshi's island.png
8KB, 256x224px
>aged

Get ready for the autists to come and shit your thread up. Anyways, here's my pick.
>>
>>2891213
Similarly, SMB1-3 and SMW. They just never go out of style.
>>
>>2891215

Of course, but Yoshi's Island is also still very impressive aesthetically. The crayon style graphics are very well done for a SNES game, whereas the previous Mario games show their age a bit more. Just compare the Yoshi from SMW to the Yoshi from SMW2
>>
>>2891227
I don't like Yoshi's Island's aesthetics. They relied heavily on THICK black outlines to make the graphics stand out. To make things worst, they used a very small palette of colors for all the graphics in the game. Feels cheap.
>>
>>2891203
King of Dragon Pass.
>>
>>2891203
Fear Effect and Mega Man legends still look pretty damn good due to the art direction.

They still look good whereas something like Mario 64 is ugly and unimpressive these days.

I also feel that, in addition to the gameplay, the CPS2 Street Fighter games still look great. The animation is still very smooth, not at all choppy like the console ports.
>>
>>2891206
Boy you sure are right! Games don't age! Movies don't age either! Or books! Or art! Or anything else! Nothing has ever aged! In fact, nothing has ever happened, ever! Time is an illusion, there is no such thing as history! Nothing has ever happened, and nothing ever will happen! There is only what is currently happening!

You stupid autistic fuck. Chop your hands off and eat them so that you can't type anymore, and with any luck you'll choke on them on the way down. Film it. We all want to watch.
>>
My Sonic 2 cartridge aged so fucking well, the label looks almost new and the console seems to read it always at the first try. Meanwhile my FFVII is full of scratchs, specially disc 1, time didn't treat it so well.
>>
>>2891203
Games don't age, but threads do sage.
>>
>>2891359
>being willfully ignorant of basic logic and chronological reasoning
>>
>>2891343

Unimpressive is a given, nobody is going to be impressed by primitive 3D games unless they are able to position themselves in the time these games were released.

This applies to both Mario 64 and games with pseudo-cel shading like Legends of Fear Effect.

Also don't agree about Mario 64 being ugly, it's primitive but the art direction is consistent and clean. Ugly 3D games that come to mind are Bubsy 3D or Superman 64, which besides being badly designed games, have no sense of art direction.
>>
>>2891353
Aging in gaming implies there's a modern standar which is right and you measure old games by how close they are to that mark. If you didn't expect some people from /vr/ when some of us don't even play modern games anymore maybe you're the one being autistic here.
>>
>>2891353
>Time is an illusion, there is no such thing as history! Nothing has ever happened, and nothing ever will happen! There is only what is currently happening!

You're trying to be sarcastic, but with your goofy shitposting you actually wrote some words of wisdom without noticing it. Especially "There is only what is currently happening!", this is utterly true.
>>
>>2891381
Maybe unimpressive isn't what I should have used? I don't know.

I'm just remembering being impressed by Seiken Densetsu 3 and Mega Man 8, and I first saw both of those games sometime around 2005. That stuff I feel held up for me, whereas some other games from that period would have looked ugly to me.
>>
>>2891386
>to get triggered*
to get triggered when some of us don't even play modern games anymore
>>
>>2891392
The "games don't age" meme is as sad and as hilarious as the "6th gen will never be retro" meme. You guys are just trolling right? No one is this illogical.
>>
games don't age
stop being a retard
>>
>>2891387
Ironic since your response was a 100% shitpost.
>>
>>2891396
Oh, you're the PS2 guy. I'm done, have fun, someone else sure will bite.
>>
>>2891353
So on your planet, old movies and books are inherently inferior to new ones? Please, tell us more. This is some fascinating shit.
>>
>>2891343
Interesting. I find Mario 64 to still look good because of the art direction as well. reminds me of pop art.
>>
>>2891386
Regardless of how what games you play now, you're perceptions have changed. No one in the modern world, aside perhaps an isolated tribesman, is going to be as imperesed by Space Invaders as people were in the 70s. Not to say people today can't still love it, it's still a solid game and allways will be, but it will never have the same wow factor as it once did.

Needless to say, games that rely on wow factor over the core gameplay are games that often fail the test of time.
>>
>>2891419
This. Art is nothing without its context.
>>
>>2891405
That's fine. Our board will be better for it.
>>
>>2891353
What score did you get on your SAT?
>>
>>2891419
>>2891427
>>2891386
>>2891353
Games don’t age because code doesn’t age.

Your perception may change. A good game then it still a good game now.

If your value of a game is if it wows you then this board probably isn’t for you.
>>
>>2891464
This. It makes much more sense to say the player has aged. Give any "aged" video game to a kid who has never played video games before and he'll likely enjoy as much as you did when you first played it.
>>
File: asteroids-2.png (26KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
asteroids-2.png
26KB, 1024x768px
>>
>>2891464
"good" is subjective. What was "good" back then isn't the same as what "good" is now. I can't really say for sure when it comes to video games, but I benefited greatly from actually knowing the historical period and background of writers when reading their books.
>>
>>2891464
Thank you for stating the obvious, my autistic friend. Of course games don't litterally age as a person would. But in this context the term "ageing" is used in a figurative sense to describe changing perceptions.
>>
>>2891481
I don’t subscribe to that liberal bullshit of “good being subjective”. For example, that kind of thinking leads to groups of morons claiming a bunch of paint drops on a canvas is a great and meaningful art. That a man who spends his time taking random instruments dipping them in paint and then just running that shit up and down in a shed is somehow meaningful.

No “good” is not subjective and I don’t give a fuck about your shitty /v/ tastes. If you’re not from /vr/ then you sure do share the modern mentality of games and art in general.

There is a good and there is bad. There’s a lot of good games I hate. I still say the game is good because I can look past my opinion and see the gameplay is actually good just not what I like.

An example of something that runs rampant are people bitching about 5thgen camera controls. They are great in context. Just like if you compared a game from the 80s it looks terrible by a more modern standard.
>>
>>2891464
>>2891478

>Games don’t age because code doesn’t age.
Games age because the industry changes; that is, the older games have aged in relation to the state of the art. In your assertion that the actuality is one's opinions changing, you fail to consider that one may not have been around when the older games were published or that they may not play games in order of chronological release.

Older things can be compared to both their contemporary and modern standards in relative terms, regardless.
>>
>>2891503
When you have to clarify that they're "great in context", it would sugest they aren't all that great in and of themselves.
>>
>>2891503
>lol libruls
>"Everything is black and white!"

I didn't realize /pol/ played video games.
>>
>>2891536
command and conquer maybe? but >>2891531 makes a point saying something is great 'in context' is just another way of saying something is subjectively good.
>>
>>2891531
>>2891536
>>2891537
How is context a bad thing?
>>
File: shitposting on vr.jpg (91KB, 788x1024px) Image search: [Google]
shitposting on vr.jpg
91KB, 788x1024px
>this thread

Can we get "aged" wordfiltered?
>>
>>2891565
How is it not an excuse?
>It's not bad think of it in the context of it's time!
>It blew our feeble minds back in the day!
By this rationale the bedtime stories you were read as a child are gripping literature.
>>
>>2891502
>But in this context the term "ageing" is used in a figurative sense to describe changing perceptions.

Whose changing perceptions are you describing? Are you speaking for yourself or other people?
>>
>>2891606
Context isn't an excuse. It's history.

Are you 15?
>>
>>2891613
>Are you speaking for yourself
Yes, people are speaking for themselves. Are you someone who requires each post to be suffixed with "In my opinion"?
>>
>>2891616
Really, that's the best you can do? Something that is good regardless of context is timeless, something that requires context to be good is dated.
>X isn't bad, for it's time it was revolutionary!
>>
>>2891646
Nothing man made is good then.

Context is history and without you nothing really.
>>
>>2891353
No seriously, using the term "aged" is you just trying to fit in. Stop being lukewarm and admit that you simply don't like the game or that you still like the game. The only thing that ages is you
>>
>>2891664

Just because a game has "aged" doesn't mean it's bad. Look at the SNES Starfox.
>>
>>2891653
>>Context is history and without you nothing really.
Uh, what now?
>>
>>2891680
You have nothing.

An artifact that has no history has little value past its materials.
>>
>>2891674
Snes Starfox was as clunky back then as it's now.
>>
>>2891581
This is the best post on /vr right now.
>>
File: 2.jpg (33KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
33KB, 700x525px
>>2891203
Out of This World/Another World had fucking perfect art direction, and can actually be perfectly scaled up to HD and it's still fucking great.

It's a puzzle platformer, and the respawn locations are perfectly reasonable. It's great. A lot of the deaths aren't telegraphed well but it's not hard to recover from. It's not like replaying 10 hours of gameplay because you forgot to pick up something on the first screen. All you gotta do is find a way to get over the next obstacle.

Looks fucking amazing, and the author himself actually made the HD rerelease and did it justice.
>>
>>2891694
Dunno if I'd call it clunky.

But visually, it used to be impressive. Not so much anymore.
>>
File: QDUh18P.png (196KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
QDUh18P.png
196KB, 512x384px
>>2891691
By this reasoning, all new ideas are meaningless. Please continue.
>>
>>2891503
I agree with you, but being a dick isn't going to convince anyone you're right.
>>
>>2891735
Because new ideas have no context? I don't follow retard logic sorry. Dank reaction image or w/e /v/kids say these days though.
>>
>>2891304
Is the palette really that small? It always seemed very bright and colorful to me. The lines I can understand though, it's really up to personal preference and with a low resolution it's very in your face.
>>
>>2891353
Poor guy, you have the right idea but you have to not get so angry about autistic old men spouting nonsense opinions.
>>
>>2891756
I'm sorry. I just gave up on rational discourse here and have resulted to pointing out when /vr/ is being completely ludicrous.
>>
>>2891742
By your reasoning all things require context. That's idiotic. How is that logical? I'm stating that the requiring context to be good diminishes something, you're stating that all things require context to be good. An asinine conception. What context does fantasy require? Do you think people give a shit Tolkien was working through his WW1 experience when writing The Lord of the Rings?
>>
>>2891778

Yes, all things require context.

>What context does fantasy require?
That it’s fantasy for one?

Is this a widespread opinion among young people or something?
>>
>>2891778
I'm not the anon your hilarious fit of potato-brained rage is directed at, but I feel like I should point out that reading Lord of the Rings is greatly enhanced by the knowledge of Tolkien's struggles in WWI. And yes, a LOT of people care about that. That's why it's common knowledge. If it was irrelevant, it would have faded with time. I bet you think 6th gen isn't retro too, you cancerous /v/ troll.
>>
>>2891784
>Young people
Are you running out of argument or something?
>>2891789
>a LOT of people care about that
I'm sure all people initially reading The Lord of the Rings do a full background of Tolkien, his experiences and the fact that it's influenced by Wagner's Ring Cycle. It's irrelevant in that quite the opposite is true there are tons of foaming at the mouth fanboys who are ignorant of these things and enjoy the trilogy just the same.
>>
>>2891815
Can't really argue with someone dumb enough to say context doesn't matter and then actually argue it.
>>
>>2891821
I'm stating that despite being aware of context at this point I had none at the time of reading said books. I had no reason to know or care about these things and not knowing them had no negative effect on the experience of reading said books. In fact knowing them after the fact has not enriched my experience any further either. If you think I'm arguing for context then you misunderstood me entirely.
>>
>>2891843
I kind of want to keep arguing with you for a laugh but it's just sad at this point.

You really are just that ignorant and don't care huh?
>>
>>2891203
Listen, do you hear that? Thats the sound of autism being triggered by hundreds of virgins all at once. The word age among many others will have that effect here.
>>
>>2891870
This might actually be the single most autistic board on any chan.
>>
Punch-Out!
>>
>>2891914
It didn't used to be this way...

I wish we didn't take ourselves so seriously.
>>
>>2891918
Try it with real hardware + CRT.
>>
>>2891203
I got Sword of the Samurai on Steam on a whim... I wasn't expecting it to be quite so fun, let alone have that early strategy game wrapped inside it.
>>
File: image.gif (32KB, 354x200px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
32KB, 354x200px
>>2891343
>Fear Effect
>looks pretty
>>
File: moldy cheese.jpg (80KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
moldy cheese.jpg
80KB, 500x333px
>>2891203
The vast majority of games don't age like wine at all. They get moldy like cheese.

Also, aging wine too much turns it into vinegar, so even the games that do age like wine will eventually suck, too.
>>
Warcraft 2 still looks good and plays reasonably well, so many years later.
>>
>>2891613
For myself, obviously. My opinions are my own and you are welcome to hold differing ones.

>>2891565
It isn't, but in the post I quoted he said that 5th gen camera controls are "great in context." Which to me suggests an acceptance that they aren't really that good. It's like he's saying "ok the camera's a bit shit, but it was before analogue controllers were standardised." You're essentially making excuses for it.

I'm one of those who thinks the 5th gen was a bit crap. The 4th gen is my favourite, as far as I'm concerned it's the pinnacle of 2d gaming, and if I want to show someone a game like Streets of Rage 2 or Contra Hard Corps then I don't need to put them into context for that person to see how great they are, they're just great.
>>
>>2893154
>It isn't, but in the post I quoted he said that 5th gen camera controls are "great in context." Which to me suggests an acceptance that they aren't really that good. It's like he's saying "ok the camera's a bit shit, but it was before analogue controllers were standardised." You're essentially making excuses for it.

It's not an excuse it's the context. It's no different to saying how NES looks like shit but during the time it was great for a home console.

Makes no sense to me. I love 5th gen games and there were shitty controls. But to hate games like burning rangers for example because of the camera is making excuses and not taking things into context.
>>
File: unreal.jpg (274KB, 1000x625px) Image search: [Google]
unreal.jpg
274KB, 1000x625px
>>
>>2893162
>It's not an excuse it's the context.
Tomay-doh, tomah-toe

> It's no different to saying how NES looks like shit but during the time it was great for a home console.
The thing is things like graphics, in my opinion are less important than things like controls, to me anyway.

The Mario games on the NES look dated, but they they still control like a dream. Which is why I would argue it has aged much better than Tomb Raider, which is still great game, but a little clunky to play.

>Makes no sense to me. I love 5th gen games and there were shitty controls. But to hate games like burning rangers for example because of the camera is making excuses and not taking things into context.

It doesn't mean you hate a game just because you accept it has flaws.
>>
>>2893186
The NES graphics were just an example.

If you want to talk about controls or a guide many NES games are bullshit without a copy of Nintendo Power or a guide. You have to take that into context. Plenty of example that I don’t need to name of that.

>It doesn't mean you hate a game just because you accept it has flaws.
There’s flaws and there’s limitation of the age. You can only make camera control so good with out the much preferred dual stick set up of modern games.

Even with the dualshock not many games took advantage of it.
>>
>Somebody says a game has aged
>Meaning it does not stand up well to modern standards and expectations
>Meaning it would not be received as well if it were released today as when it was new
>Grown men are so triggered by the word "aged" they reject the concept entirely, disregard the context and focus entirely on the word "aged" itself

You know exactly what is being said.
Nobody is suggesting code ages.
Nobody is implying your favourite old game is shit because it's not Black Ops VIII
Calm the fuck down and stop trying to ban words that make you feel less special.
>>
>>2891478
>Give any "aged" video game to a kid who has never played video games before and he'll likely enjoy as much as you did when you first played it.
Exactly. I was impressed how a guy who barely played videogames was very excited with the original LoZ.
>>
>>2893154
>The 4th gen is my favourite, as far as I'm concerned it's the pinnacle of 2d gaming, and if I want to show someone a game like Streets of Rage 2 or Contra Hard Corps then I don't need to put them into context for that person to see how great they are, they're just great.
My nigga.
By the way, do you like Mode 7 or similar plane distortion effects? I think they are still great.
>>
>>2893660
I think mode 7 looks great still, though my view is probably biased as the only mode 7 games I have are Mario ones (not a big SNES collector), and I think that cartoony art style ages particularly well.

On the subject of graphics ageing, I think a lot of people that object to the term take it to mean older, less technologically advanced, graphics are inherently worse. I don't think that's what people are saying, it certainly isn't what I'm saying.

As I said, I think the SNES Mario games have aged very well, both in terms of gameplay and graphics, but for now let's focus on graphics. The reason they've aged so well is that they used an art style that worked so well on the technology they had available. I mean if Super Mario World or Yoshi's Island were made today with the same art style then they wouldn't look that different. A little less pixelly perhaps, but more or less the same.

In contrast look at the art of the newer Call of Duty games, the graphics are technologically impressive and they look good, but the art style is aiming for realism and as technology improves other games are gonna come along that do that better, and when that happens Advanced warfare isn't gonna look as good. It's not gonna age well.

In 20 years time the colourful cartoon sprites of Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island will still look as good as they do today. While Advanced Warfare will look like a painfully dated attempt at realistic graphics.
>>
>>2891343

First gen 3d looks like shit in general. You are comparing the peak of 2d against the dawn of 3d.
>>
>>2891203
Doom is an obvious example, even the worst old console ports are enjoyable because Doom is an inherently fun game.

>>2891205
>>2891206
Mediums don't exist in a vacuum you spergs.

>>2891343
Mario 64 still holds up pretty well. I mean, the graphics are old and jagged, but it's a cartoony stylization that I think lends itself naturally to low definition graphics as well as high definition graphics.

>>2891406
Put more words into his mouth why don't you?

>>2891464
>because code doesn’t age
Nobody is talking about aging literally you fag, it's about modern and old perceptions, about modern and old design sensibilities.

Something that was seen as an acceptable design decision then could be regarded as appalling game design today.
>>
File: supermetroid[1].jpg (207KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
supermetroid[1].jpg
207KB, 1280x720px
It is amazing a 2d platformer can create more atmosphere than modern pc games.
>>
File: 1304859506242.jpg (171KB, 432x585px) Image search: [Google]
1304859506242.jpg
171KB, 432x585px
>>2893198
>>
>>2893195
>>2893195
I understand why the camera controls were a little lacking, but the point remains that the controls were flawed. It's no ones fault, it doesn't make the games bad, but I would say they've aged badly because of it.

Again, let's go back to the 4th gen. 2d gaming by this point was well trodden ground and people had learnt from previous generations. The hardware manufacturers knew how to make consoles that could support 2d gaming well. They knew how to make controllers that supported it well. Developers knew how to make games that looked good and played well.

If you give someone a game like Sonic, you don't need to put it into context. It looks good , it controls well, the levels are well designed. It's solid 2d platforming action that can hold it's own against any 2d platformer released today. I don't need to explain why the controls are bad because they aren't bad.
>>
>>2891503
>there is no subjectivity, only objectivity
Ya gotta chill.

>>2891565
It's not, rather, it's subjective, which is ironic of you.
You say that 5th gen 3D cameras are objectively fine "in context", I say that objectively, they were only bearable "in context", and that subjectively, a lot were dogshit.

I'll personally never understand people who say that 5th gen cameras were all fine, or that tank controls are amazing. I always felt that shit was bad even when it was new.

>>2893198
This, so damn much.
>>
>>2893843
Sonic is a well designed easy to pick up game. Throw something like LttP at a kid today with a map and give him no internet. Good fucking luck beating that game anytime soon.

>>2893860
>I'll personally never understand people who say that 5th gen cameras were all fine, or that tank controls are amazing. I always felt that shit was bad even when it was new.
Many were bad. But they were bad then and are still bad.
>>
>>2891503
That you find a game good despite also hating it is still an opinion.

>For example, that kind of thinking leads to groups of morons claiming a bunch of paint drops on a canvas is a great and meaningful art.
Not necessarily. You clearly don't study art. You certainly haven't studied philosophy.

Get over yourself, bud.
>>
>>2893870
This guy defending a paint dripper. Oh man.
>>
>>2891581
/vr/ isn't your personal hugbox.

>>2893162
>But to hate games like burning rangers for example because of the camera is making excuses
I don't think anyone who takes anything seriously does that.
I love Resident Evil despite the controls being seriously ass.
>>
>>2893834
This
>>
>>2893864
>Throw something like LttP at a kid today with a map and give him no internet. Good fucking luck beating that game anytime soon.

I'm not sure what your point is supposed to be, are you saying it's aged badly if kids find it hard?

It sold well on the GBA a decade after release, it sells well on the virtual console today day. So regardless of hard people might find it today, they still want to play it.
>>
>>2893934
You can't just pick LttP up and beat it in a sitting.

Not all 3rd and 4th gen games are easily accessible.
>>
>>2893875
I'm not "defending a pain dripper." I'm pointing out a lack of understanding regarding the subject/object dichotomy.
>>
>>2893942
Sorry, how does requiring multiple sittings to complete equate to inaccessibility? And how does that relate to this thread anyway?
>>
>>2893961
You could try reading the post chain.
>>
>>2893965
You could try explaining the idiotic drivel you're spouting.
>>
>>2893970
Then I'd need to handhold some retard who's underageb& and can't read a post chain.
>>
>>2893973
So you have nothing of value to say, thanks for clearing that up.
>>
>>2893975
I made my point.
>>
>>2891203
This thread may be fucking retarded but you just convinced me to pick that game up for a buck fitty on steam. Thanks op, shit looks cash.
>>
>>2893832
>Something that was seen as an acceptable design decision then could be regarded as appalling game design today.

Then how did games like Minecraft and Flappy Bird become so popular even though they used dated aesthetics and game play? Neither game was original. Minecraft was based on DF, a niche game, and Flappy Bird was a clone of a very obscure game.

How would you explain DLC and DRM? Don't tell me people's sensibilities have changed to joyfully accepting them.

Modern/old perception difference is a myth. Because games are made for profit, there's really no set standard to follow. You could say that graphics standards improve over time, but there are many exceptions. If there was a magic formula for making profitable video games, everyone would be doing it.
>>
>>2894249
>Cites two extremely exceptional cases as if they were commonplace occurrences
>Gets the inspirations wrong
>Treats DLC and DRM as connected to game mechanics
Mhm, mhm. Very insightful. You should submit an article to Kotaku or something.
>>
>>2894249
I'd argue mc was based more on infiniminer
>>
>>2894307
So would Notch.
>>
games dont age you fucking sjw piece of shit
>>
>>2894446
Yeah i'm sure everyone would consider the first dragon quest great if it was released today
>>
>>2894457
better than your fucking sjw call of duty portal minecraft mass effect skyrim shit you fucking cunt
>>
>>2894446
>>2894470
>sjw

how the fuck is OP being an SJW?

the bogeyman mentality is getting really fucking retarded.
>>
>>2891478
Same can be said for movies, music, art... no kid, unexposed to any other music, would dislike classical.
>>
>>2891914

This is being too self-deprecating. Be glad this board isn't ANYTHING like /a/ beyond the occasional waifu shitposting.
>>
>>2894470
I'm just saying that doing shit like opening doors and talking to people through a menu like in the first dragon quest would be unacceptable to most jrpg fans today.

That's an example of a game not aging good compared to something like the first Tales game.

Another example would be prerendered backgrounds on 5th gen games, they look fine on a CRT but they may look like arse when scaled to a bigger resolution, and every display today uses a bigger resolution than what the PS1 could output, this makes them look bad today and thus making them not "age" well.
>>
File: 1451859342889.jpg (775KB, 2255x1505px) Image search: [Google]
1451859342889.jpg
775KB, 2255x1505px
>>2894268
>Cites two extremely exceptional cases as if they were commonplace occurrences

Look at these super advanced state-of-the-art graphics!!!!
>>
>>2894491
He's just trolling. And poorly.

That said, the whole "boogeyman" term is super misleading, since there definitely are radical leftists out there doxxing and attacking people with differing world views. Their whole defense is "We don't exist, what are you talking about? You're making things up, go back to bed." The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
>>
>>2894470
You showed your hand too early. Now we know you're not serious. 1/10 bait, kiddo.
>>
>>2894527
For any player with taste that shit doesn't cut it.

There's retro styled games that actually look good, this doesn't tell me anything about how games don't age and they were shit all the time or whatever point you are trying to make.
>>
jesus the autists on this board.

Games age, just like books and movies do age. It's not just your perception, but the advance and development of the genre and convention.

For an example, SF2 has generally aged pretty poorly, both in the sense of perceptions (framerates, pixel art, fluidity) and within the genre: standard, even advanced gameplay at the time now plays as excessively simplistic, lacking genre staples like supers and combos.

Television, films and comics all do the same thing. What was once groundbreaking and new ages poorly if all it had to offer was that it was groundbreaking.

Because the medium and culture around them changes, they are left behind. Which is exactly what aging is.
>>
>>2894575
Careful. Logic doesn't fly on /vr/. Only m-muh precious feelz

I'm about ready to just declare this place officially dead. It's stagnant, hyper-reactionary, and the autists are running the asylum. The five lunatics left that want to keep shitposting about CRTs vs. LCD or emulators or whatever, and waifus threads, and how "retro" somehow is a period of time that ends at 1999 and will be that way forever (how can you not see the MASSIVE, glaring logical fallacy in that?) can have it. They've about killed the place already. Soon enough they'll see what they've done and get bored and move on, finding some other community's well to poison with their mouth-frothing and shit throwing. I'm so close to giving up on trying to have any kind of actual discussions here.
>>
File: ron_jeremy_the_man-use.jpg (94KB, 640x597px) Image search: [Google]
ron_jeremy_the_man-use.jpg
94KB, 640x597px
>>2894575
Naysayers BTFO
>>
File: into_the_trash_it_goes.jpg (31KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
into_the_trash_it_goes.jpg
31KB, 300x400px
>>2894589
Don't let the door hit you on the way out
>>
>>2894609
Smart. Did you think of that all by yourself? Shitposters like you are killing /vr/. Enjoy the mountain of shit you made, idiot.
>>
>>2894575
>books and movies do age
but that's wrong you retard

books and movies are art so they don't age

games aren't art so they do age
>>
>>2894637
>games aren't art

Insufferable dumbfuck troll detected
>>
>>2894627
Why haven't you left yet? C'mon, off you go. Shoo'.
>>
>>2891353
>>
all video games age like milk
>>
Games are art, just like furniture is art, because they're made by humans and wouldn't exist otherwise. Just the definition, from artisan. As for aging things obviously age, to the point where you can look at a game and say "that's so 90s" based on the themes/music/tech used to create it. Aging isn't a bad thing, some things age well and others don't. Pls keep the meta discussions on time and shit on >>>/x/
>>
>>2894657
Word
>>
>>2894657
art doesn't age, ergo if games age, they aren't art
>>
>>2894637
Yeah I'm sure you're all up ins the Canterbury tales and the baghavad gita n shit since they are such classics and the passage of time does t affect our perception of them at all.
>>
>>2894665
>art doesn't age
It does. When people call art "timeless" they're poetically referring to the fact that it still holds up.
>>
Video games are a sport, not art. End of.*

*except for RPG's, that shit is low-tier art.
>>
>>2891353
But how would he eat his hands if he chopped them off
>>
>>2894673
art that becomes dated gets forgotten and a such is no longer considered art by the intellectual academia
>>2894674

word
>>
>>2894674
>little, if any physical activity
>sport
You might have a small argument for competitive DDR but that's about it.
>>
>>2894676
>art that becomes dated gets forgotten and a such is no longer considered art by the intellectual academia
0/10, here's your sage
>>
>>2894678
Does chess require much physical activity?

Competitive video games are a sport no different to physical sports sans the use of avatars for the players. Like, you can't even argue this, all the fighting game tourneys and championships out there speak for themselves.
>>
>>2894684
Chess isn't a sport. Now waste your time rebutting that 'cause the thread is dead.
>>
>>2894691
The first google result when you type chess and sport already proves you wrong, dumbass. It's an open debate with no clear answer, but whatever.

It also shows you the definitions for sport which fit competitive video games quite nicely. So...
>>
>>2894691
>>2894696
>While athletics emphasises the athletes’ efforts and control of the body (skiing, skating, boxing, tennis, handball and football), sports, meaning "anything humans find amusing or entertaining”, just as well appreciate the use of facilities, equipment, tools, devices, means of transport or animal as a basic condition (sailing, equestrianism and motor racing), and today the concepts are more often used interchangeably.
Vidya is a sport.
>>
>>2893942
Well good thing the game has a save system.
>>
>>2894701
>sailing, equestrianism and motor racing
All of which require physical activity and stamina. Sorry, gookclicking doesn't count.
>sports, meaning "anything humans find amusing or entertaining”
Probably the most retarded definition I've ever heard.
>>
>>2894575
>Games age, just like books and movies do age. It's not just your perception, but the advance and development of the genre and convention.

Except that the "advances" aren't always positive. There are many instances where things either don't change or they regress. Look at modern art. You can shit on a canvas and sell it for millions. Look at the many video game sequels. They're full of bugs and have less content than their predecessors. AI never improved. Game play depth never increased. Standards aren't being raised. They're being lowered or kept the same. The only consistent improvements we see in media over time are special effects in movies and graphics/sound in video games. Everything else is stagnant. As for literature, post-modernistic authors write nonsensical garbage and the most popular modern works are written for least-educated people.

What kind of person are you? Are you a yolo go-with-flow guy? Do you always jump on the latest fad, fashion, and electronic gadget? Do you have any personal standards, any sense of individuality?
>>
>>2894709
You sound like you are a "born in the wrong generation kiddo". Either that or a bitter old cynic who can't enjoy new things.
How's your sex life? Do you have friends outside of the internet?
>>
Jazz Jackrabbit 2 due to still active online community
>>
>>2894709
> The only consistent improvements we see in media over time are special effects in movies and graphics/sound in video games

Because you really think CGI are better than organic effects ? It really is a case by case basis.
>>
Umihara fokkin Kawasea (Shun)
>>
>>2894748
I really like your shitposting style.
>>
>>2893942
>You can't just pick LttP up and beat it in a sitting.
Well, no, it's not that kind of game.

>accessability
Alttp is hardly a game with a high barrier of entry. It's easy to get into, even if the later bosses get pretty challenging. A complete noob will learn the ropes within a day of playing the game, and then learn the more advanced stuff as they go.
Meanwhile, a game like Contra requires much more skill, it's a high octane action game that's fast and doesn't let up, it requires a lot of playing to get good at.

>>2894249
>Then how did games like Minecraft and Flappy Bird become so popular even though they used dated aesthetics and game play?
Because the gameplay of Minecraft isn't poorly aged, it still holds up (or, I don't know if it is, I haven't played it in years and they kept throwing you for a loop with updates, like the gradual introduction of half-baked RPG/adventure game mechanics)
The graphics were a stylistic choice, they're crude and simple by design.

By design sensibilities I don't mean graphics, more gameplay and controls.

>Neither game was original. Minecraft was based on DF, a niche game
Isn't Dorf Fortress a ploddy ASCII art game that's entirely about micro management? It has similar themes I suppose, but it's more inspired by DigDug and that Infiniminer thing.

>and Flappy Bird
Flappy Bird was released on smartphones, and the gameplay is very simple and stupid, of course it would become popular, say you're waiting on the bus or standing in line, it kills time with little investment.
You could probably release a lot of old arcady and puzzley games on smartphones and a lot of them could have a good chance of getting popular.

Do you remember why Tetris got so huge? It's a simple and addicting game you could easily pick up at any time of day, it's easy fun.

A dated design element would be Resident Evil, amazing games, but people would never have that control scheme today, there's just so much better options.
>>
>>2893832
>"Boy you sure are right! Games don't age! Movies don't age either! Or books! Or art! Or anything else! Nothing has ever aged! In fact, nothing has ever happened, ever! Time is an illusion, there is no such thing as history! Nothing has ever happened, and nothing ever will happen! There is only what is currently happening!"
>M-mommy the bad 4chan man is putting words in my mouf! BAAAAAAW!
>>
File: image.jpg (41KB, 357x412px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41KB, 357x412px
The Banjo Kazooie series holds up pretty well looking at it from where we are now. I think Kazooie is slightly better, I think the simplicity in gameplay and graphics are more redeeming where as Tooie undeniably has a different atmosphere.

The art direction, music and humour does well in keeping the games still enjoyable. Unless you're not into collecting then to each their own.
>>
>>2894589

>all this grudge and hate because an internet board doesn't behave like he wants
>still shitposts the same shit over and over everyday

kind of ironic that you call other people autists.
>>
>>2894897
Nice post linking you dumb faggot.
>>
>>2891215
SMB2/DDP is debatable. Though the board seems to generally favor SMB3 more than World
>>
I'm amazed that a simple, silly metaphor brought so much shitposting.

Anyway, Final Fantasy Tactics would be my pick. Even its gamebreaking exploits and dumbass, job-related character progression became part of its charm.
>>
>>2894909
Tooie is great and all, it's just so heavy handed with the backtracking and everything you come upon that screams "see you in an hour or two when you can finally deal with me" weighs on you. The game really overstays it's welcome.

That said, I played nothing but that game when it first came out until I had 100%'d it. Tooie is easily my #1 game I was hyped for.
I really enjoyed the first half or so of nuts and bolts, too. It just sucked once you had most of the parts and could build a "do-everything" machine
>>
>>2894535
>since there definitely are radical leftists out there doxxing and attacking people with differing world views.
Thee certainly are, but that's got nothing to do with vidya.
>>
>>2894674
Games aren't sports, they're games.

Some competitive games could arguably considered spots, I wouldn't argue it ,but each to their own. But some kid sitting on his own playing Mario isn't engaging in a sport, he's playing a game.
>>
>>2893176
It's almost disturbing how well the graphics hold up. Detail texturing is brilliant.
>>
File: 1451043124325.jpg (23KB, 300x331px) Image search: [Google]
1451043124325.jpg
23KB, 300x331px
>>2895091
>tfw the venezuelan communist party got BTFO in the recent elections
Even now there is hope in man!
>>
>>2892136
I like WC2 but I'd say Starcraft aged better, much more variety in content, much larger in scope, the races are actually radically different as opposed to WC2 where the only two races were 99% the same just with different sound and graphics, and where all tilesets are really just the same with different skins.

It has it's own wonderful atmosphere and feel though, despite being ultimately very simple.
>>
File: Silent_Hill_2.jpg (41KB, 320x462px) Image search: [Google]
Silent_Hill_2.jpg
41KB, 320x462px
Still to this day one of the best horror games I've ever played.
>>
>>2891386
Are you fucking kidding me? Not that guy but aging is the MOST apparent in games of all visual media. Maybe with books, not so much, with movies, somewhat so, but with games there are VERY obvious technical advancements that occur sometimes not even after 5 years that make a very obvious difference in gameplay, graphics, sound, etc.

It's so fucking obvious I don't see how this could possibly even be a discussion
>>
File: myth.png (753KB, 800x555px) Image search: [Google]
myth.png
753KB, 800x555px
>CASUALTY
>>
This thread had potential until the semantics police reported for service.

You can all go suck dicks.

Also, thead related: Darklands
>>
File: 1297984998030.png (15KB, 679x427px) Image search: [Google]
1297984998030.png
15KB, 679x427px
>>2893878

>/vr/ isn't your personal hugbox.
>>
>>2894709
>Except that the "advances" aren't always positive.

That doesn't have anything to do with the conversation at hand unless you think that something being of a tradition of an older era is bad, in which case you're a fucking retard arguing only because you think that aging is inherently of negative connotation.
>>
>>2894709
You sound like a pretentious cunt.
>>
>>2894709
>Except that the "advances" aren't always positive.

No shit dumbfuck, you can advance into the final stage of AIDS, or if we look further back, we can see the diseased cock advancing toward your hungry man cunt.
>>
>>2894709
no shit dumbass, that's what distinguishes "ages well" from "ages poorly."

games that have aged well either the advances haven't been major and they are still competitive, or the advances have in fact been comparably negative. Something ages poorly when much of what you're accustomed to and would want in the game is lacking, and everything it had done adequately has been done better more recently.
>>
File: what went right.jpg (2MB, 2200x1100px) Image search: [Google]
what went right.jpg
2MB, 2200x1100px
>>2894709
>Look at modern art. You can shit on a canvas and sell it for millions.
Mhm.
>>
>>2895143

great game. Why hasn't anyone copied it yet?
>>
File: 856325623532.jpg (127KB, 709x709px) Image search: [Google]
856325623532.jpg
127KB, 709x709px
satisfying shooting, colourful graphics, fun audio, perfect party game, and great solo too
>>
>>2895609
>That doesn't have anything to do with the conversation at hand unless you think that something being of a tradition of an older era is bad, in which case you're a fucking retard arguing only because you think that aging is inherently of negative connotation.

I never implied that video games of an older tradition are bad. In the context of video games, new standards don't imply anything about previous standards. Changes in standards aren't necessarily improvements in terms of entertainment value. Only technological improvements can be seen as objectively positive. How the new technology is applied is a different matter. The point of video games is to entertain. There's no magical formula for entertainment. If there is, then one could say the changing standards are improvements.

Generally speaking, the term aging has negative connotations. Even when you're describing someone who's aging well, the negative implications are still there: That person is getting closer to death and his/her body is becoming older. Aging doesn't have negative connotations only when it's used in specific contexts, such as when describing wine. When retro games are described as having "aged well", it's kind of ambiguous. What does it mean exactly? Why are modern standards being used as a reference point? To me, it sounds like the player's tastes have gravitated towards modern games, but claims that he still likes certain retro games, despite ironically judging them from a modern perspective. If you truly like the game, then why do you view it from the perspective of the modern video game industry instead of your own? If only your personal opinion of the retro game mattered to you, then why would you want the game to age? Why can't it be timeless? It doesn't make sense that people think like this. Is it because of cognitive dissonance?
>>
File: 4L_iUc5Wrsn.png (53KB, 165x115px) Image search: [Google]
4L_iUc5Wrsn.png
53KB, 165x115px
>>2896567
You built an impressive castle of an argument on a foundation of a swamp full of dog shit.
>>
>>2896567
>Generally speaking, the term aging has negative connotations. Even when you're describing someone who's aging well, the negative implications are still there: That person is getting closer to death and his/her body is becoming older. Aging doesn't have negative connotations only when it's used in specific contexts, such as when describing wine. When retro games are described as having "aged well", it's kind of ambiguous. What does it mean exactly?

Well OP specifically said "Aged like wine", so if you can't work it out for yourself then there's no helping you.

>Why are modern standards being used as a reference point? To me, it sounds like the player's tastes have gravitated towards modern games, but claims that he still likes certain retro games, despite ironically judging them from a modern perspective. If you truly like the game, then why do you view it from the perspective of the modern video game industry instead of your own? If only your personal opinion of the retro game mattered to you, then why would you want the game to age? Why can't it be timeless? It doesn't make sense that people think like this. Is it because of cognitive dissonance?

Because while only my personal opinions matter to me, those opinions are shaped by my experiences and I have experienced modern games.
>>
>>2893834
>>2893903
Not retro but Axiom Verge's atmosphere beat it in my heart.
>>
>>2896524

because myth 3 failed badly, and since the IP no longer belongs to bungie, they can't make sequels. Also - devs nowadays aren't as willing to experiment as in "the golden age of the 1990s".

DESU though, minus graphics, M:TFL and M2:S hold their own against any modern games with no shame.
>>
>>2896768
are you fucking kidding me? I Write To Be Honest (abbreviated as t.b.h., minus dots ofc), and it filters to desu? What kind of gook sorcery is this.
>>
>>2896567
>Why are modern standards being used as a reference point?
Because some modern standards are better than old ones. Like improved interfaces, control schemes and performance.
>>
>>2896771
How long have you been here? That word filter has been in effect for months.

Also filtered are f a m, c u c k, and s m h, allow me to demonstrate:
desu senpai cuck baka
>>
>>2896821
Oh, it seems they removed the filter for cuck, it would turn into kek.

That's a shame, because that was by far the most abused buzzword of 2015
Thread posts: 188
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.