[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which of the retro Game Boy models is your favorite? >Original

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 29

File: gb-seq.jpg (84KB, 1000x600px) Image search: [Google]
gb-seq.jpg
84KB, 1000x600px
Which of the retro Game Boy models is your favorite?

>Original Game Boy
Thick "brick" design, needs four AA batteries, comparatively lower battery life than other models, "puke green" screen, screen is prone to ghosting, white / grayish plastic is prone to discoloration

>Game Boy Pocket
Substantially smaller than the original, uses just two AAA batteries, has a larger screen than both the original and Color models, screen is no longer "puke green," comes with or without the power LED indicator

>Game Boy Color
More processing power and RAM, games are in color, smaller design than the original Game Boy, screen quality is a step up from the Pocket, back labels are prone to fading and wearing
>>
File: gb-light_177f2.jpg (427KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
gb-light_177f2.jpg
427KB, 768x1024px
>>2888761
this boner inducer.
>>
File: image.jpg (66KB, 500x438px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66KB, 500x438px
>>2888768
> japan only
>>
>>2888761
the purple transparent color.
>>
GB Light
>>
>>2888768
I put a backlight kit inside of a gb pocket for less than half the price of that...
>>
For nostalgia purposes the big brick OG is pretty great. 4 shades of green, loud speaker with plenty of mid-bass resonance, nice "scanline"-ish effect as each blocky pixel is separated from the others.

Horrible, horrible screen ghosting, but the games were designed with it in mind and adds and it's kind of fun in a sort of masochistic, "get off my lawn kids" kind of way.

My favorite color is the Play it Loud red edition, partly because the strong red sets up a nice color combo with the green screen, but mostly because it's the model I had as a kid.

Downsides are that it's not really that ergonomic- it's big and heavy with a mostly rectangular cross-section that's not a great fit for human hands. Additionally the low grip position causes a tendency for the system to rotate forwards that must be counteracted in use. Finally the screen is set too far into the bezel, meaning it's impossible/difficult to find a lighting setup that 1. allows all of the screen to be seen and not shadowed and 2. doesn't have glare.

The size and clarity of the pocket is nice, but the black-and-white palettes just don't do it for me. The GB Light is great and all but not available in NA === irrelevant.

The GBC (atomic purple 4 lyfe) is my favorite for actual playability reasons (size, weight, curved back, clearer screen) but it's lame that they didn't include a proper shades-of-green palette.

I play grey cartridges on my DMG and black carts on my GBC.
>>
File: 1451519938246.jpg (289KB, 1204x1032px) Image search: [Google]
1451519938246.jpg
289KB, 1204x1032px
>>2888768
>>2888798
>>
The bulky original is the only one I spent significant time with until I got the GBA around the time it came out. In terms of overall performance I don't see how anyone wouldn't pick the GBC, though. The GBA was more comfortable to hold for me. I just played GB games on it once I got it.
>>
File: nintendo-mini-classic-1.jpg (89KB, 574x203px) Image search: [Google]
nintendo-mini-classic-1.jpg
89KB, 574x203px
I would have loved to see a Game Boy version of this. Of course, there wouldn't be room for physical cartridge support, but it could have several GB ROMs with built-in Flash storage.
>>
File: 20151215_002153.jpg (85KB, 563x1000px) Image search: [Google]
20151215_002153.jpg
85KB, 563x1000px
>>
>>2888805
This. Objectively the best GB if you know how to mod it.
>>
>>2888817
>>2888805
I wonder how a front lit Atomic Purple GBC would turn out. You'd probably need to encase the light with something translucent to block at least some of the light from completely filling out the rest of the case.
>>
>>2888819
This post is inaccurate. Doki Doki panic WAS the original mario brothers 2. Japan got Lost Levels because it was believed SM2USA was too different to sell well. They released Doki Doki Panic is in fact the reskin.
>>
nostalgia for the pocket cause i had one. My friend had the big brick, and i had another friend that had the color.

The size of the pocket was nice. links awakening is soo much better in color.

so, though i have a weakness for the pocket, the color to me was best.

...now the sp was handheld jesus. Backlit and works with all 3 types of gameboy cartridges, FUCK YEAH.
>>
>>2888817
I sometimes wonder if Rare knew beforehand about the Super Game Boy/Game Boy Pocket, because Super RC Pro-Am was not very well-suited to the OG GB. The blurring is so bad that you can't make out much of anything on the track.
>>
File: gb.jpg (125KB, 1024x469px) Image search: [Google]
gb.jpg
125KB, 1024x469px
>>2888761
Had a dandelion Game Boy Color since I got it in 1999. Loved it. Extra processing power meant no screen blur, and the LCD looks absolutely gorgeous in sunlight. I had a chair by a window in my house that was the perfect place to play. Also had a worm light for night time.

Pic related, my Game Boy collection.
>>
File: so fucking handy holy shit.jpg (24KB, 448x336px) Image search: [Google]
so fucking handy holy shit.jpg
24KB, 448x336px
>>2888819

Most of us are just griping that the thing wasn't available overseas, even though everyone would have bought it.

My first handheld was a Game Boy Color, but I would have sacrificed color if it meant being able to play Wario Land 2 under the covers.
>>
>>2888761
>screen quality is a step up from the Pocket
understatement of the millenium
>>
>>2889815
>Extra processing power meant no screen blur
the ghosting of the DMG and GBP is due to the display technology, got nothing to do with the processing power
>>
>>2889797

It's not technically /vr/, but my AGS-101 is my waifu. Playing GBC games on it is almost like playing them on a whole new system.

Only thing I don't like is how the GBC carts stick out the bottom, which makes me consider doing one of those silly mods where you hide an AGS guts in an old DMG shell.
>>
>>2890012
>like playing them on a whole new system.
Probably because it's a whole new system, complete with way too dark and way too saturated colors for GBC games (due to the new LCD tech), smaller screen for GBC games (due to higher DPI) and the slot on the wrong end (matters for cool shit like Kirby Tilt'n'Tumble)
>>
I love the original. I like how the games look on it. I have all 3, but the pocket just doesn't look good to me. I like the green tint of the original.
>>
>>2888761
GBC
Cause nostalgia, put also its smaller and uses less batteries than original GB. As it says it has a color.
>>
>>2888761
>comparatively lower battery life than other models,

I dunno about this. The only type of Game Boy I ever owned was the old gray brick, but those four batteries lasted a really long time. Somewhere around 60 hours.
>>
>>2890469
Batteries last about 120hours on GBC
>>
File: 1424705276428.jpg (38KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1424705276428.jpg
38KB, 640x480px
I really like the original Gameboy. It just feels good in my hands.
>>
>>2890469
Adding to this, that was with Duracell batteries. When I used those cheap Rayovac "heavy duty" batteries, the old GB lasted about 12 to 14 hours.
>>
>>2890469
>>2890473
according to Wikipedia
>Power: 6 V, 0.7 W (4 AA batteries provide 15–30+ hours)
which to me sounds more realistic. The GBC is listed as
>internal: 2 AA batteries, 30+ hours of gameplay
though in reality 20h is a good ballpark number. The 120h is completely off.
In comparison:
>The Nintendo 3DS comes with a 1300 mAh lithium ion battery. Its longevity fluctuates between 3 and 5 hours while playing Nintendo 3DS games and between 5 to 8 hours while playing Nintendo DS games
>>
>>2890479
Well my memory aint the same...atleast 30+ hours is good
>>
>>2890489
definitely. Even with the GBA Nintendo still aimed at battery power. The processor in it is deliberately underclocked, to run more power efficiently, and with the exception of the Micro, the line is targetting 20+ hours. It went downhill after that, with the NDS having 20h as upper limit, going down as far as 4 or 5h if you max the light.
>>
It depended on the situation. I had a pocket, an original and a colour.

If I was out of the house, and knew I wasn't going to get extra batteries, id play on my original. Examples of this would be during long car rides and vacation trips to places. The battery on the original gameboy is amazing, that shit would last like, 20 hours. In fact, I'd say that out of the pocket, and colour, I played more hours on my original then on the colour or pocket.

I honestly didn't use my pocket too much. It was more preferable to the original in many cases because of the better looking screen and graphics. Far less ghosting as well. Games like mr. Game and watch gallery look miles and miles better when played on the pocket as opposed to the original.

When the colour came out I would simply use that almost every time as opposed to using the pocket.

I recall one vacation, where I was desperately trying to beat one of the latter dungeons in links awakening DX. My pocket and colour had aleady died on me, but I was able to pull through and beat the game using batteries I mixed and matched. (Anyone remember that trick? Taking old batteries and mixing them with new ones to get extended mileage out of your batteries..?)

Oh and some fun facts: Pokemon gold and silver work perfectly fine on an old gameboy. It's crystal that is a Gbc exclusive.

Man, I could talk about my gameboy experiences all day... Nintendo always brought me such joy to my life. And I didn't even touch ok GBA...
>>
>>2888761
Pocket. That's the one i owned. Then Colorfags bandwagoners came and ruined everything.

I miss my GB.
>>
I still have my grey brick in the hard plastic travel case. Lives in my truck. Still love that thing. The GBColor was complete shit. I'd rather have black on OD than that terrible color anyday! Plus, its so easy to hold the brick. Better size; smaller isn't always better.
>>
>>2889095
Proud of your choice in game, anon.
>>
File: Super-gameboy-player.jpg (3MB, 2660x2659px) Image search: [Google]
Super-gameboy-player.jpg
3MB, 2660x2659px
not even joking
>>
File: doki.png (381KB, 680x583px) Image search: [Google]
doki.png
381KB, 680x583px
>>2888819
I love this so much that I made a similar pic because I forgot to save it and couldn't find it again.
>>
>>2889757
Made one 2 years ago, no pics at hand sorry:

There is a little light below the screen line, but not much. The problem with frontlights are that over time condensation or something seems to build up between the layers. I've had two go completely foggy and unuseable.

That and frontlighting looks fucking dreadful in the first place. The light panel from the SP needs to go in sideways, making it look blurry as hell and the lighting is uneven.
Really not worth it unless you just make a disposable one for reddit points.
>>
>>2890539
>Oh and some fun facts: Pokemon gold and silver work perfectly fine on an old gameboy. It's crystal that is a Gbc exclusive.

Do people not know this?
Anything in an old-style cart works in the original.
Grey cart - Gameboy
Black cart - same but also has palettes for when used in GBC
>>
>>2889815
Sweet micro. I have the player 2 faceplate too. It's lovely.
>>
>>2893218
Anything I can do about backlighting one?
I've got an extra AGS-101 lying around if that could help matters.
>>
>>2893249
Can't backlight GBC displays. Frontlight or nothing
>>
>>2893257
I was thinking something like a display swap, but didn't expect anything like that to actually be feasible.
Oh well.
>>
i like the size of the original but finding a good contrast is dicks

also a bit unrelated but is there a clear gameboy colour onwards, or is atomic purple the closest i'm getting?
>>
File: gXTDiVUh.jpg (163KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
gXTDiVUh.jpg
163KB, 768x1024px
>>2893529

I'm pretty sure there wasn't a clear variation of the GBC, but there is a clear Pocket.

You may check eBay to see if there's an aftermarket clear GBC housing though. I hope you like the feel of rough plastic.
>>
>>2893648
not too keen on aftermarket, guess i have to stick with atomic, also does anyone know if aftermarket battery covers are any good?
>>
>>2893732
>does anyone know if aftermarket battery covers are any good?

They are not. They're made from the same cheap, rough plastic as the aftermarket shells. Some of the color tones are even off by a few shades.
>>
File: 51168bd47b.jpg (181KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
51168bd47b.jpg
181KB, 1280x960px
One on the right.

Although I just use my gba:sp at most time
>>
>>2888761
My first handheld console was a Game Boy Colour, so it'll always have a special place in my heart.
>>
File: Wikipedia_gameboy_micro.jpg (116KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
Wikipedia_gameboy_micro.jpg
116KB, 1200x800px
>>2888871
It eventually happened.

Even had a little handle thingy for you to attach phone straps, keychains etc
>>
>>2894217
>only plays gba
nope.
>>
>>2894168
I mean the one in left fuck.
>>
>>2894217
These things go for $150?! I want one, but damn
>>
>>2894228
Your loss.Still have my SP. Wish I would've saved my cube just for the gba adapter
>>
I've got a bunch of original Game Boys and while I love them I just prefer my GBC. Here are the reasons:
1) I honestly can't make out anything on the screen of the original GB anymore. I don't know how my eyes did that. I guess I got old.
2) 4 batteries is insane. Who would want that?
3) It fits nicely in my pocket
4) Once you hold the original GB in your hands its seriously way bigger than you had remembered
5) Which means that I can hold the GBC just fine
6) I like the fact that I can change the colours/shades of original GB games on the GBC
7) I have a few GBC games so I do not need to switch handhelds
8) I love the way my transparent GBC looks like

I just wish the sensor would have removed that 2 player cable (forgot the word). The sensor was a GREAT IDEA but what games really supported it? Almost none. With Mission Impossible you could use your GBC as your TV remote (which I did).
>>
>>2894168

Please tell me about this GB BOY. What is it? Some cheap knock off? I own the right one- original Nintendo GBC but the GB BOY COLOUR actually looks great. The screen is way way brighter and better to see making the actual GBC look like a cheap rip off. So please tell me all about it!
>>
>>2894441
>Some cheap knock off?
Yes
>>
>>2894441
not only a cheap ripoff, but as several people in previous threads mentioned, the screen has a bad aspect ratio
>>
>>2888761
> Absolutely no mention of the rich audio quality of the original Gameboy over the downgrade in quality that the GBP and GBC brought with them, one of the reasons original models were turned into hipster musician hacking projects for Chiptune music.
>>
>>2888761
I played a lot of gameboy Color because of DWM/2. Not sure if I played more of Pokemon Blue on my Pocket though. I was lucky enough to not have to deal with the first brick one, my friend had one and i wasn't interested
>>
>>2894441
Its hardware clone.
The screen is at wrong aspect ratio(its bit wider than it should be), and the d-pad is kinda meh(which can be fixed), but other than that it works great.
>>
File: anYyBr5_460sa.gif (3MB, 330x250px) Image search: [Google]
anYyBr5_460sa.gif
3MB, 330x250px
>can't afford Gameboy 25 years ago at original release
>can't afford Gameboy 25 years later because it's a vintage
>fucking goddamn hipsters
>>
The original Gameboy is too iconic. More primitive than an NES, it stayed on top for three generations and was so goddamn successful even by the end that the N64 got a transfer pack to leech off it.

I felt bad for people who had a Pocket or Color. They could've just bought a Gameboy in the late 80's and stuck with it all that time, getting 10/10 games from beginning to end. The advance was a poor follow-up.
>>
File: image.jpg (59KB, 500x392px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59KB, 500x392px
>>2894853
>>can't afford Gameboy 25 years later because it's a vintage
Maybe if you're a retard who only pays eBay prices. I snagged my original GB with a battery cover for $25.
>>
>>2888761
I got the pocket for christmas the year the colour was released. Didn't ask for it and it was random as hell by my mom, but my brother and I appreciated it. Had a lot of fun with it.

For my birthday two years ago my bro got me an OG GB, which I wanted to play on the train on the way to work. I love it. I got over 40 hours out of the batteries he put in it, which he had already played a bit on.

So yeah, OG 4 lyfe.
>>
I grew up with a Game Gear, so I'm too spoiled for the plain old unlit Game Boy and GBC. I gotta use a NOT RETRO for my GB games even though >>2890016 is right about pretty much everything he says.
>>
I have to disagree with you guys who love the SP, that thing is just way too small for me to comfortably play.
>>
>>2894853
>can't afford Gameboy 25 years later because it's a vintage
How fucking poor are you?
>>
>>2894892
Even that price feels a bit inflated.
>>
>>2895163
>Not having girlish hands small enough to make you self-concious about shaking hands with anyone
lol gtfo loser
>>
File: revok101.jpg (209KB, 1280x768px) Image search: [Google]
revok101.jpg
209KB, 1280x768px
>>2894217
If you're OK with Chinese ripoffs, the revo k101 plays GBA cartridges. I also emulates everying less powerful than a snes (lol)
>>
File: Gold_Mouse.png (548KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Gold_Mouse.png
548KB, 1024x768px
>>2893529
I seem to recall seeing someone with a clear game boy color once and they claimed they got it imported from another country.
I don't remember.
You may also be thinking of the Game Boy Horror, a clear GBC that is used in Luigi's Mansion.
>>
File: gbmfamicom.jpg (29KB, 700x143px) Image search: [Google]
gbmfamicom.jpg
29KB, 700x143px
>>2894429
It was fun to watch them go from dirt cheap because nobody wanted them to super expensive because nobody wanted them.
>>
>>2888761

Original big one. It has better sound.
>>
>>2895698
The dot matrix really improves the stereo sound.
>>
>>2890948
Came here to say this. Shame it only supports the backwards compatible gbc carts though (black carts).
>>
>>2894441
My experience with it so far: the screen ratio sucks but nothing that affects the gameplay. The d-pad quality is disappointing, but you can easily mod it by swapping in the original GB dpad (I recommend buying a cheap broken GB and swap dpads, like a did with mine). I didn't actually notice any emulation flaws on any of the games I tested except for some of them that had their sound playing a bit faster, but almost unnoticeable.

So far its the best alternative I found to making or buying those expensive and complicated modded gbs. (Though these should offer a better experience)

BTW the GBBoy is laughably low priced, just get one already.
>>
>>2888761

Design wise, I think the original looks coolest. Otherwise the Color is probably the best version.
>>
i love all gameboy family but my favorite is the gameboy advance sp
>>
>>2888761
The Wii U. It can emulate GB games so it's valid here. Please prove me wrong by deleting all the emubaby threads
>>
>>2900240

He didn't ask what console is best for playing Game Boy games on. He asked which of the 3 original Game Boy models was the best.
>>
>>2900295
I know. I'm just trying to get the janitards to do their job.
>>
>>2900358
>Implying that /vr/ has janitors that do their job
>Implying that /vr/ has janitors
>>
File: xi0hL09.jpg (419KB, 2764x2073px) Image search: [Google]
xi0hL09.jpg
419KB, 2764x2073px
>>2889757
like this

source: https://imgur.com/a/RKLmo from /r/gameboymarketplace
>>
Game Boy Light, all the way. Got mine a few months ago and love it.
>>
>>2894228
get a flashcart, ya cheap git.
>>
>>2900465
>Just the other day, I shitposted something, and my shitpost was justifiably deleted. Woe to the baneful janitors!
>>
>>2889775
Am I being fucking trolled?
>>
>>2889757
>translucent
>to block light
>>
>>2900524
>facts that offend my ignorant view of reality are shitposts.
When did 4chan become a "safe space"? I'd support abortion up the the 60th trimester if if would rid us of scum like you.
>>
File: DMG_transparent_american.jpg (236KB, 708x1040px) Image search: [Google]
DMG_transparent_american.jpg
236KB, 708x1040px
>>2888761
>>
>>2890539
>Oh and some fun facts: Pokemon gold and silver work perfectly fine on an old gameboy. It's crystal that is a Gbc exclusive.

Fun fact: the Korean versions of Gold and Silver only work on the GBC because the extra RAM was used to process the Chosungul/Hangul; although an alphabet the letters are placed into syllabic blocks.
>>
>>2889775
Actually, and this is quite a scandal that I'm breaking, Sonic 2 was a sprite change of a Japanese game called "Donkey Donkey Picnic," and Japan got the real version of Sonic 2 for the Genesis, which was later released as Sonic ADVENTURE 2 for the Dreamcast.
>>
>>2900694
why didn't they go with kana only like the japs?
>>
>>2900702
because Hangul has no kana
>>
File: image.jpg (48KB, 340x455px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48KB, 340x455px
>>2894882
>I felt bad for people who had a Pocket or Color. They could've just bought a Gameboy in the late 80's and stuck with it all that time

Or they just traded in for Pockets and Colors so they could have smaller handhelds, deal with less batteries, and in the Color's case, have access to more games. What the hell is there to feel sorry for?
>>
>>2890474
same, its too bad my screen is getting almost impossible to see from, its just a blurry mess, sometime soon im gonna get myself a Pocket again
>>
>>2900950
considering the image quality of the GBC is a gigantic improvement over the DMG, it sounds a lot like anon was just complaining about sour grapes.
I did not bother with a GameBoy before the GBC, precisely because their display was just not worth my money.
>>
:^)
>>
>>2901286
I remember bringing in my NGPC to show and tell in second grade and said that it was better than the Game Boy Color, and got washed over by salty waves of butthurt. It was grand.
>>
>>2902664
You sound super cool bro
>>
>>2902664
what a weeb
>>
>>2902672
>>2903247
>butthurt continues seventeen years later

Proof I was the baddest six year old around.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (28KB, 399x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
28KB, 399x360px
Fuh-hucking lime green GBC all days every day. Shit got me straight C's through highschool.
>>
>>2900685
This one.

From a practical standpoint there are a dozen reasons to prefer the later models, but the big, brash, clear DMG with all its guts exposed is still the one I'd have over the rest. Preferably biverted and backlit.

>>2893529
>>2895621
Japan got a clear GBC.
>>
File: sim.jpg (17KB, 292x389px) Image search: [Google]
sim.jpg
17KB, 292x389px
Sakurai Taisen GBC is all kinds of wonderful
>>
File: ccs.jpg (137KB, 800x1005px) Image search: [Google]
ccs.jpg
137KB, 800x1005px
>>2907047
And the CCS GBC is also very cute.
>>
File: 1407631354662.png (6KB, 231x324px) Image search: [Google]
1407631354662.png
6KB, 231x324px
>>2900701
I believe you
>>
>>2907064
Oh, wow, what a brilliant comeback.
>>
>>2907048

Nigga, that's kawaii
>>
>>2907047
>Sakurai
Thread posts: 111
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.