[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's your favorite RE clone?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 37

File: df.jpg (49KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
df.jpg
49KB, 512x384px
What's your favorite RE clone?
>>
File: 001.jpg (41KB, 398x500px) Image search: [Google]
001.jpg
41KB, 398x500px
Nocturne for PC. It's maybe too much of a shooter to call it a clone, but it I doubt it would exist without RE.
>>
File: jpg.jpg (11KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
jpg.jpg
11KB, 300x225px
Dino Crisis, obviously.
>>
File: 818hv8tO6XL._SL1000_.jpg (257KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
818hv8tO6XL._SL1000_.jpg
257KB, 1000x1000px
[/spoiler]Cold fear a RE4 clone with the arcadey feel of RE3
>>
>>2881694
I have two copies of that, fun game.
>>
File: fe2rh_japan_box_art.jpg (43KB, 470x405px) Image search: [Google]
fe2rh_japan_box_art.jpg
43KB, 470x405px
Im hesitant to really call them RE clones but I always really loved Fear Effect
>>
>>2881667
Sweet Home
>>
File: PE.jpg (24KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
PE.jpg
24KB, 480x360px
Parasite Eve

>>2881752
cheers
>>
>>2881761
>clone
>came out 7 years before RE
>>
>>2881667
What are the requirements for a game to be an RE clone?
>>
File: 1278938200229.jpg (4KB, 251x205px) Image search: [Google]
1278938200229.jpg
4KB, 251x205px
>>2881797
>>
>>2881831
Up to you, I would say gameplay and general atmosphere. Silent Hill is pretty much a RE clone gameplaywise but it doesn't feel like one to me.

>>2881797
you told him bru
>>
I enjoyed Deep Fear but objectively it's pretty average. It kinda fails at being scary and at building engaging survival gameplay elements.

I used to have survival horror autism and I've played a FUCKTON of survival horror. I can honestly say that there isn't a single 'clone' that comes close to the quality of AITD/RE/SH.
All of them have at least a flaw or two that comes ruining it all, even the most promising ones like Deep Fear or Martian Gothic.

Silent Hill is probably my favourite RE clone.

And RE is my favourite AITD clone.
>>
>>2881778
How is Parasite Eve a RE clone?

Let's try to analyse the elements in PE1 which remind of survival horror:
- 3D models within 2D backgrounds.
However, while this technique was indeed created by survival horror, it doesn't become a genre by itself nor is it a preriquisite to be a survival horror. Plus, the way the technique is used in PE1 it is closer to Final Fantasy VII than to Resident Evil. Even the controls are like FF7 and unlike RE.
- Limited inventory. Except that the limited inventory in PE1 is quite huge. Again, it is closer to the likes of FF4 than of RE.
- A couple of simple puzzles and a key (just one iirc) to find. Again, the way it's done it is closer to the kind of stuff you get in jRPGs than in survival horror.
- a horror theme.... which isn't exactly proeminent. Doom has more 'horror' than PE1 and it is never classified as a 'horror game'.

PE1 was classified as "survival horror" when it came out by the press. At the time the genre, as a genre, was brand new, as it started (as a genre) in 1996. It was also the first video game genre that introduced the notion of theme in the classification (action/adventure gameplay + horror theme = survival horror) rather than gameplay alone, like every other genre.
That is why the press got confused, even though it is their fucking job, and started calling anything with a tiny bit of horror 'survival horror', like PE1.... or goddamn House Of The Dead (sigh).

Sadly this has sticked since.
>>
>>2881752
Literally Dude Lesbians: The Game
>>
>>2881752
Fuck yeah.
The only problem I had with retro helix was that the characters started out with so many weapons. What the hell.
I loved the puzzles at the end.
>>
Galerians
>>
File: 1451421636455.jpg (20KB, 385x196px) Image search: [Google]
1451421636455.jpg
20KB, 385x196px
>>2881691
This.
Dinosaurs>>>>>>>>Zombie
>>
>>2882993
i tried playing it and got bored, what am i missing? big re1 and 2 fan
>>
>>2882456
>silent hill is an re clone
kek
>>
>>2882997
First DC is boring and kind of dumb. Has too much in common with RE, actually, and not enough to really make it stand out.

Second DC is fucking great though. Capcom did a pretty good job incorporating a slew of interesting new elements, and the game is like RE on steroids. If you enjoyed playing the mercenary side-games in RE2 & 3, you'll have a blast.

Also, my favorite RE-clone is Silent Hill. Not for the gameplay as much as the story and atmosphere. Genuinely creepy back in the day without being ruined by campy, cheesy humor.

Also love me some PE2, and can still replay it without getting bored to this day. Whereas RE gets pretty stale for me on replay these days due to the limited options.
>>
File: 1423622234300.jpg (52KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1423622234300.jpg
52KB, 640x480px
>>2882993
what about dinosaur zombies?
>>
>>2883063
dinosaur ghosts>dinosaur zombies>ghosts>dinosaurs>zombies
>>
File: Oh shit guys I got it.jpg (22KB, 425x292px) Image search: [Google]
Oh shit guys I got it.jpg
22KB, 425x292px
>>2883063
Good idea, but I've got better.

Get this

Dinosaur skeletons
>>
>>2883090
Aren't zombies just skeletons cosplaying as dead humans?
>>
Not all of those have to do with zombies or monsters, but here goes. All of them are for the PS1.

Deep Freeze: you play as a team that has to infiltrate a tower and deal with terrorists. I believe it's only in japanese (but strangely all voiceovers are in english). You can play as two characters at once.

Hard Edge: imagine an animu Resident Evil. You play as a team of 4, although you start with only 2 characters. The game has a melee-focused combat system, but you can use guns too. I think it was only released in Europe/Japan. Has a detective that punches bombs and yells DYNAMITE! quite humorously. Michelle best waifu.

Enigma: this one is quite weird, I remember playing it in japanese only. I believe you play as more than one character, but I'm not sure, as I haven't progressed much further than the first 2 hours. You can fight giant spiders with punches and kicks.
>>
There's Carrier for the Sega Dreamcast. You play as a guy fighting plant monsters in a ship.
>>
Always wanted to play T.R.A.G. It looked like a neat RE meets Burning Rangers hybrid. Never got around to it though.

Also, Galerians is hands down, the worst, RE clone ever.
>>
>>2881667

The oxygen meter was an interesting mechanic. Even if the time it gave you was hugely generous, the simple existence of a countdown served to add tension. Really helped fill in the gaps in parts of the game that were otherwise not scary.
>>
>>2883106
Aren't humans just skeletons cosplaying as living humans?
>>
>>2883068
HOMM3 had Ghost dragons. I remember they make your enemies so scared they miss their turns, but honestly they were the weakest ones.
>>
File: silentH.jpg (9KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
silentH.jpg
9KB, 225x225px
>>2881667
>>
File: Bluestinger.jpg (17KB, 250x232px) Image search: [Google]
Bluestinger.jpg
17KB, 250x232px
>>2883656
This

Not sure if the one in pic here counts but it has a certain charm
>>
File: Galerians_Pal-edit.jpg (140KB, 1023x812px) Image search: [Google]
Galerians_Pal-edit.jpg
140KB, 1023x812px
>>2881667
>>
>>2883002
Of course it is. It's a great RE clone that came out right in the middle of the trend RE started.

There is something about SH fans that make them believe their favourite game series is an untouchable messiah. Oh and, SH1 does have plenty jumpscares, that's another thing SH fans tend to forget (and then when Homecoming did jumpscares too, in the same way and dose as SH1, "fans" screamed the devs didn't "get it"... but that's another topic)
Saying it's a clone isn't even a complain. I love SH series (especially 1, 3 and Homecoming) but SH fans are worse than goddamn Sonic's. At least they don't try to pretend it wasn't inspired by Mario.

>>2882997
>>2883015
As far as AITD/RE style survival horror go, DC1 is probably the most hardcore in terms of gameplay mechanics. The devs went as far as they could with the mechanics while still keeping it fun. It really is a game for survival horror fans, for people who think RE and all its clones didn't go far enough.

>>2883473
Yes, Deep Fear has tons of inspired mechanics and ideas. The problem is, all of them are rendered pointless or null due to the easy difficulty. Oxygen Meter? Fantastic idea. Technically you will NEVER run out of oxygen.
I did a review of the game on this born-dead blog a few years ago if anyone is interested http://thisshitaintscary dot blogspot dot fr/2012/11/game-review-deep-fear.html
>>
>>2881694
>>2881731
Yes, fun game especially on the higher difficulty. Especially the PC version imo. Just like Resident Evil Dead: Aim it's a middle ground between action games like RE4 and "true" survival horror; and I find that particularly fun since I love both.

However, saying it's a RE4 clone isn't exactly true. To give the game justice, you have to realize both Cold Fear and RE4 were developed at the same time, and shoulder-view-aiming had already been implemented in Cold Fear before RE4 came out.
The same thing applies to Alone in The Dark (5) btw.

It's like, once the new generation of console came out (PS2, XBOX, Dreamcast) and the need for 2D pre-rendered backgrounds faded away, the shouldier-view became a 'given' for everyone at the same time, though RE4 released it first.
>>
>>2884050
there's something about that game... i can't even say if it's good or bad.

all i know is i have to replay it like ever 18mo
>>
I honestly like Deep Fear more than the original Resident Evil (which I still love)

I was surprised by how caught up in the plot I got, and how much I really liked the characters despite, or maybe because of, the sub-RE voice acting.
>>
>>2883015
>Also love me some PE2, and can still replay it without getting bored to this day. Whereas RE gets pretty stale for me on replay these days due to the limited options.

Indeed PE2 is always fun. I'm currently nearing the end of my first Nightmare playthrough. Video related.

PE2 is like Dino Crisis 2 or Resident Evil 3, it is ALWAYS fun to play due to the sheer fun factor of the gunfights.

If you think RE is too limited, try RE3. RE3 has a lot more freedom, some semi-random events, more non linearility, more enemies, more weapons, etc RE3 is ALWAYS fun to play too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPWgD4cwI74&feature=youtu.be
>>
>>2883251
carrier was one of the first survival horror games i played. i tried my damnedest to play through the game but the game never did quite grasp me the way i expected. i think it put me off horror games for quite a while as well, which is strange as i have always loved horror movies
>>
>>2881667
Countdown Vampires for the PS1. Deep Fear for the Saturn as a close second.
>>2881684
Good choice too.
>>
>>2884858
Countdown Vampires is the shit. REmake rip off a lot of shit off it.
>>
Dino Crisis 2.
>>
>>2884050
GOTCHA
>>
>>2884407
Are you honestly accusing any other game of ripping off Resident Evil? You must know RE is a rip off of both Alone in the Dark and Sweet Home?
>>
>>2885824
I'm not "accusing" anyone to be a RE rip-off. I'm calling it a clone, there is a nuance.

Besides, while RE owes a lot to AITD (and ironically, not so much to Sweet Home besides the door animations and despite RE starting development as a homage to it....) there are also plenty of things it did its own way and came up with, like the focus on trying to feel like a movie (versus a more literary influence in AITD), the focus on guns and weapons (versus handfighting), a certain type of puzzles, etc
RE1 also created the name "survival horror" and established it as an actual new genre, contrary to AITD and its pre-RE clones belonging to the 'action adventure' genre until RE came up with the name.
Without RE1's quality and success, there would be no 'survival horror' genre and Silent Hill 1 would have probably never came out. Everyone started picking up on this new horror trend after RE came out, even Squaresoft put it in its action rpgs.

Had RE1 not come out, it was certainly not games like Ecstatica or Overblood which would have started the trend.
Silent Hill 1 is a fantastic game, but it

Speaking of Overblood, that's one of my fav that wasn't mentionned ITT. However, it's not a RE clone, and it is wrongly often labelled as such. it was released a few months after RE1, but it was being developed at the same time... both Overblood and RE1 had the same AITD influence, both games even share a very similar zombie story with shit going wrong inside a lab, though Overblood remained closer to AITD than RE was (like with the handfighting).
>>
>>2881667
Onimusha
>>
File: 1421571943_3.jpg (33KB, 368x276px) Image search: [Google]
1421571943_3.jpg
33KB, 368x276px
>>2886673
I absolutely love the Onimusha trilogy Dawn doesn't exist but it falls more into the caterogy of hybrid action games like Dino Crisis 2, PE2, Vampire Hunter D, (or RE3 and AITD2 even...) etc

If you like Oni1, you absolutely need to get your hands on the XBOX version. I bought a XBOX solely for that purpose, even though I already had the game on PS2 (to this day it's still the only XBOX game I have) and I did not regret it. It has new enemies, new areas, new enemy placement, new item placement (you go through things in a slightly different order), etc even a new powerup system that's a sketch of what it's like in 2 and 3. On top of that it has a new Hard mode that's absolutely amazing. Plus the PAL version is 60hz while the PS2 version is 50hz only. Best. Port. Ever.
The only downside is that the XBOX isn't as appropriate as a PS2's for tank controls, which I easily fixed by buying an adapter letting me use a PS2 pad on XBOX (and I got a similar one to use PS2 pads on GC for REmake and 0 while I was at it).

And to make these posts on topic with the board, here is what Oni1 looked like.... on PS1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvOFYZ5Cm2I

It's impressive but I'm glad they moved onto the PS2, the animations aren't as smooth on PS1.

I was mentionned Vampire Hunter D, if you like this kind of hybrid RE inspired action games, check it out, it's pretty fun, kinda like Devil Mary Cry before its time. Pic related.
>>
>>2883656
>Silent Hill is a RE clone

Heh.
>>
>>2883496
>>
>>2886510

Overblood was the first survival horror game I ever saw. It scared the shit out of me as a kid.

You mentioned Martian Gothic in an earlier post. How in the fuck do you progress in that game? When I was playing, the second I found a gun, my other defenseless people were getting attacked nonstop. I'd send the gun through the dropbox thing, defend that character, and before that fight would be over, another character would be getting attacked. I just got frustrated and shut it off. Did I not understand something, or was the RNGod giving me the dick?
>>
what re/re clone game are you playing for new years eve?
>>
>>2887084
After beating PE2 4 times in a row (normal mode, then bounty, scavenger and nightmare..) i was playing it a 5th time to go for L rank.
Sadly I failed in my mission, because I killed too many ghosts Eve spawns during the final battle, each of which give 300exp... How are you supposed to know that? Thankfully I can just load my save and try again.
>>
>>2887950
Oh wow that's fucking bullshit. I'm so mad right now.

So basically if you want L rank you only have room for Eve to spawn ONE ghost. Even if you don't KILL the ghost yourself and it diseappears you get the exp. Her ghost spawning is totally random and can't be prevented (well it probably can with apobiosis but there is no room you'd have enough exp for that in a L rank game).
You know what's even MORE bullshit? So she spawns one ghost which eventually diseappears. Fine. She spawns a 2Nd ghost, I kill her before she ghosts disappears and guess what, I still get exp out of that 2Nd ghost anyway! In the entire game you NEVER get exp from non-killed enemies until now at the worst moment! Geez.

i'm gonna see and try if stunning disposable items can prevent her to spawn ghosts...
>>
You realize that RE is an Alone in the Dark clone?
>>
>>2888061
You realize RE was the one game that started the trend? SMB borrows a lot of things from pac land, but that wouldn't make Giana Sisters or Kid Chameleon any less Mario clones. Are all SH fans this autistic?
>>
File: PSOGL2_049.jpg (352KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
PSOGL2_049.jpg
352KB, 1024x768px
>>2888020 (You)
>>2887950 (You)
Got it. The thing is, as soon as a ghost spawned, i'd try to avoid his attacks which would make me waste a lot of time and wouldn't allow to shoot Eve much. By tanking and healing from the ghosts attacks, I was able to hit Eve more and kill her quickly.

I thought it would GIVE the Gunblade though, but it only lets you buy the medicine wheel in replay mode for 27800bp. Thing is, you get so little bp in a L rank game that i doubt i'd be able to buy it before the fight against N9 and therefore wouldn't acquire the Gunblade... while on the other hand, on my other save where I beat the game 4 times, I can buy the medicine wheel (though not on "replay" mode, only bounty and maybe scavenger iirc) straight away; so this may not be the best way to get a gunblade. Plus I got a rank A on Nightmare so beating it once more would let me unlock the Gunblade.
>>
>>2888214

Yo, do you or anyone else have any insight on this? >>2887067 I gave my copy to a bud after this happened, but I'm in the mood for a survival horror and there's a copy I can buy at a flea market down the road. I could look up a guide and read into it, but I want to avoid any accidental spoilers, and I know no one (Not even the bud I gave it to) that's played this game.
>>
>>2888083
RE was inspired by alone in the dark though. They even say this in interviews. Alone in the dark was a really big series back in the day
>>
>>2888505
Sorry, I don't remember. I played the game for 3-5hours some years ago then I watched a friend play through it all so my memory is kinda fuzzy. I was repulsed by the bad hit detection and somehow my friend wasn't.

I don't remember having such a problem though. All I remember is the game had quality story, mechanics and puzzle, but all ruined by the bad combat.
>>
>>2888523
S'all good. Yeah part of the reason I was looking at it again was that I'd heard the story was really good, and the initial concept was interesting. Plus its got that 90s horror voice acting where they all sound totally calm yet exaggerated in this completely dicked scenario. But playing hot potato with 1 gun between 3 people was no fun at all, not with the seemingly 90% encounter rate on switching characters. I hope it was just RNG fuckery.
>>
>>2882469
This. PE is not a RE clone. Try PE2 for a RE clone.
>>
Martian Gothic
Blue Stinger
Deep Fear
Carrier
Countdown Vampires
>>
File: PSOGL2_055.jpg (358KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
PSOGL2_055.jpg
358KB, 1920x1080px
I know this isn't exactly on topic but since it was mentionned... after playing PE2 5 times (from normal to nightmare mode + L rank on normal), I decided to give PE1 another go since I had never beat the Chrysler Building nor did a new game+.

After a few mins I was already repulsed by the game. The controls feel like ass, like the way pressing X to check stuff makes you walk at the same time making Aya look like she's having a seizure... the fighting isn't as engaging and movement matters less. The GUI, the menus and all the sounds of it, feel repulsive... they feel old, outdated, like they belong to some obscure WRPG of the early 90's.

I used to think both 1 and 2 were as good, in different ways; but after replaying 2 so much, I'd say 2 is probably the better game due to its sheer fun gameplay factor and its amazing replay value... I don't know if I'll keep playing 1, so far I felt more like going back to PE2 (again) to do a Gunblade run, since I finally acquired the thing.
PE1 is closer to FF and PE2 is closer to RE, and these days, I like RE more.
>>
>>2889050
I tried Martian Gothic, ran in circles for hours.
I've seen a flying guy and got killed if I remember right. That's as far as I got. Seemed more like an psychological horror.
>>
>>2885824
>RE us a rip off of Sweet Home

Alone in the Dark ok, but that's just idiotic.

The mansion setting as inspiration and door animation opening do not count as "RE1 is a rip-off of that game". Sweet Home is just an RPG with a horror setting, RE1 is an action/puzzle game.
>>
>>2886743
Goddamn. You really like Onimusha don't you...
>>
File: martian_gothic_3.jpg (49KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
martian_gothic_3.jpg
49KB, 640x480px
Martian Gothic runs fine on Win10, just turn off any graphic software like Raptr.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (18KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
18KB, 480x360px
Soul of the Samurai from 1999.
>>
>>2890312
Yeah, I agree somewhat. I think PE1 is great. But it's fairly basic, and it gets stale rather quickly. Though I don't find it unbearable, per se.

I enjoyed following your progress in the PE2 thread before it died. I love playing it myself, and I tend to revisit it every year.
>>
File: tumblr_mqr7o3ZMiR1rzoi3uo2_1280.jpg (57KB, 600x359px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mqr7o3ZMiR1rzoi3uo2_1280.jpg
57KB, 600x359px
>>2890624
Yes, especially 1 and 3. 1 is the one with the most soul, and 3 has amazing gameplay and environments. I'm French, so playing as Jean Reno in famous recognizable places from my country is just amazing. It's just a shame Reno only voiced a few lines at the beginning and at the end of the game, maybe his cost was too high for the game's budget?

>>2891246
I've decided to play something else altogether now but I still might come back to PE1 to give it another chance and to 2 to finish that Gunblade playthrough.
>>
File: 1451043653368.jpg (29KB, 398x356px) Image search: [Google]
1451043653368.jpg
29KB, 398x356px
>>2883496
>>
>>2890906
Ohh shit, I remember playing this at my buddy's place back in the day tried to find it years ago but I thought it was PS2 and couldn't remember the name for the life of me...

Gonna have to pick this one up again for sure
>>
>>2890906
I need to try that out. Looks like Vampire Hunter D and Onimusha.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (71KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
71KB, 1280x720px
>>2883237
I knew about Deep Freeze, but I never got far, it didn't seem very appealing to me.

I've heard of Hard Edge but under the name TRAG (I only just made the connection it's the same game), it looks pretty fun, in a PE2/DC2 kind of way. I'll probably give it a shot as well.
>>
File: PSOGL2_062.jpg (859KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
PSOGL2_062.jpg
859KB, 1920x1080px
>>2890906
>>2892508
>>2892551
This is pretty fun. It really feels like a proto Onimusha, except more linear. Also contrary to Oni you don't have tank controls, it's FF7-like controls, but that actually works really because the camera angles are smart so it's not a problem, plus you can't change camera angle during a fight so it doesn't become a burdern. As a result you only get the positive side of this type of controls: being able to move any direction you want in battle instantly, which you WILL need!

Speaking of FF7 it reminds me of that in a way too, like how some of the models, backgrounds and even sound and musics are. There is a small RPG system too, you build exp and for each "lvl" you learn a new special spell,although their use are limited because so far most of them waste a lot of disposable items.

Thx for the recommendations.
>>
>>2881778
never played Parasite Eve, but that outfit does unspeakable things to me.
>>
>>2892734
Jesus this game is HARD. I'm in chapter 6, after fighting the horde of zombie villagers... I decided to go backtrack before tackling the castle, see if there was any item to collect to aid me. There is indeed plenty; except I can't make it back to the village! I just keep DYING and DYING, either I get combod when I enter a screen; or I get gangraped by those green zombie dudes with long spears, who take 1/3rd of my lifebar per hit; and those flying bats farting green shit at you seem totally random.

It's a fun game, and I like how the enemies are semi randomized (you may not always get the type or number on the same screen), but it's HARD.

Any protip? There is some of the special moves I can't seem to be able to perform. Like R1+-->+0 or R1+<--+0... it just makes me waste my items. Is the "lightning" sword worth using? Looks like it has those new special powers I just mentionned but it seems weaker than the ones that come after it.
>>
File: PSOGL2_063.jpg (816KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
PSOGL2_063.jpg
816KB, 1920x1080px
>>2892856
>>2892734
Just beat it now. It was pretty fun as a proto Onimusha. You have to beat the game twice, once with each character, to get the real ending, but unlike RE2 where 85% of the gameplay is the same no matter the character, here you get a very different playstyle, exclusive areas, enemies, musics and story for each character.
Lin's gameplay is faster, more combo based; while Kotaro is slower. I ended up enjoying Kotaro more because hit detection was less a problem and he has better special moves and more varied weapons.

Fun game, I recommend it to people who like games like DC2, PE2 or Oni, a couple of videos I made....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VHNSR31NcA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56CtRovt9T0

Gonna give TRAG a shot now. It's by Sunsoft, so it can't be bad, right?
>>
>>2890906

Oh shit I remember renting this game and god knows why they had only the jap version for a good while, I played this a lot without knowing what the fuck was going on, but learned that dodging like a rabbit on coke is the ticket to win.

Also, the instakills are too good.
>>
>>2881667
Does Silent Hill 2 count as a RE clone? It does have pretty similar controls.
>>
>>2895142
>Also, the instakills are too good.

Yes. You know what's funny? They work just like in Onimusha....

It's a fun game really but for 1999 it feels a little outdated. The quality of models, animations and fighting remind me of Overblood, which is 1996. Technically speaking it's nowhere near as good as other games of the kind from 1999 like Silent Hill or RE3.

I've started playing T.R.A.G. now and THAT is technically great. It's high quality and everything is super smooth, there is no loading time at all between camera angles, it feels as though it's on PC even if it's on PS1.
Too bad the fighting is so limited... Soul Of The Samurai, while being technically worse and having a little hit detection wonkyness, had better fighting.

Also I'm pretty sure the voice of one of those baddies, Gasshu, is Eric Mills, who voiced the main character in Sin Episodes... but I don't see it on his imdb page, though maybe noone bothered to add it there. I'll make sure to check the credits when I beat the game.

Sorry about the aspect ratio of the picture, pSX does that when taking a screenshot for some reasons.
>>
>>2895152
Keep meaning to play this, but balls deep in another non-retro joint currently. Damned back-log.
>>
File: PunkYourself.jpg (75KB, 512x240px) Image search: [Google]
PunkYourself.jpg
75KB, 512x240px
>>2896816
Still playing it, I think I'm nearing the end though but I'm missing one item out of 3 to unlock a door, which I must have missed somewhere.

Anyway it's a fun game but it's got a weird tone. The animu characters feel a little off. Imagine the movie Die Hard, make a game out of that which plays like Resident Evil, but with animu characters? You got T.R.A.G.
That and you get funky/jazzy tunes along the way.
Some of the VA is good, well as good as it can get for retro gaming, but some others are Deep-Fear-bad.
Like I said the fights are limited. It's fine against regular baddies, but against bosses you really feel the limit and it often results in spam, tank, heal; but the controls and the combat are too limiting. I'm running out of healing items though, so it looks like I may be fucked for the end boss.

I'm enjoying it though.
>>
>>2896825
>That and you get funky/jazzy tunes along the way.

Fucking sold! Next game for sure.
>>
File: PSOGL2_070.jpg (428KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
PSOGL2_070.jpg
428KB, 1024x768px
>>2896834
There, I beat the game now. Just so you know, the ISO I've downloaded (which you might just be downloading as well...) seemed to be faulty, before and after the end boss, the loading time was a bit weird (background appeared first; then characters) and when using pSX emulator, the whole thing crashed during that loading time after killing the end boss. It worked fine in ePSXe though, and thankfully fake memorycards can be shared between emulators.
So just use ePSXe, the game looks much better that way anyway, pic related.

I got the bad ending and it seems that the only difference with the good ending is how fast you are at reaching the end boss; and I will not be arsed to replay the game for that other ending. Although technically the game has some replay value, since there are 4 characters, and you can even reverse the role of the 2 main characters at the start of the game. Plus you got shit to unlock when beating the game.
But I don't think gameplay is good enough to deserve a replay, like I said it was limited and sometimes even almost broken during bosses.

Should I replay Vampire Hunter D ? I never beat it, I remember getting stuck at some point with that no idea what to do. Anyone beat that game here?
Any other game like T.R.A.G. or Soul Of The Samurai that I may have somehow missed?
>>
File: PSOGL2_072.jpg (752KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
PSOGL2_072.jpg
752KB, 1920x1080px
I've started replaying Vampire Hunter D and man this game is a nugget.

The game is like a mix between Castlevania, Onimusha and Devil May Cry (except before those two were made...). Atmosphere, music, graphics, all amazing. Probably some the best VA of any retro game ever too.
Gameplay is fun though challenging. It is a little hard to get into because it's unforgiving, but once you get the hang of it it's really good. Just don't give up, you're going to get raped at first, but that is not a sign of the game being bad.

Also the Left Hand talking: is that the first and only lips moving on a model on PS1?
>>
File: PSOGL2_074.jpg (629KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
PSOGL2_074.jpg
629KB, 1920x1080px
I just beat Vampire Hunter D and got the "middle ground" ending.

You guys need to check this game out, it's totally underrated. Forget about T.R.AG., this game is better.
Here is a little video in case you haven't been convinced yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwCWyOTs2R8

On account of this thread ("RE clones"), the RE inspiration is obvious in some cases. For instance there is a door you unlock by finding 4 plates. There is also a side character which you may meet in different places depending on where you go first; and which may die (and change your ending) depending on your actions, just like Barry and Rebecca in RE1.

Gameplay may seem unforgiving and underwhelming at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's really fun and actually easy (I've played on normal difficulty). So here are a few tips:
- the game is all about keeping a good balance between your HP, your VP (which is your strength) and your Left hand power (which is like MP). Hitting enemies will make your VP grow, getting hit will make your hp and vp decrease. VP and MP also decrease with time.
You grow MP back by swallowing weak enemies; but that also means getting less VP than you'd hit them less.
Also once you get a full bar of MP a small icon next to it appears meaning that if you die you'll get back to full HP, but at the cost of a HUGE VP decrease.
If your VP is too low you won't be able to do combos with your sword anymore.

You can use MP to attack and heal, I suggest you mostly use it for healing.
You'll see that fighting single enemies is mostly easy, it gets hard once you have several at the same time. Use MP attack as well as supply items (grenades etc) in those cases if needed.

Finally, disable autolock. It's a mess. You can lock manually onto enemies with R2; then switch locked enemy with L2; and unlock as well. Switching locks and unlocking when needed is key in some battles.
>>
>>2883447

T.R.A.G. is pretty fun. It's basically Die Hard + Burning Rangers. The dubbing is fucking terrible, but that was to be expected at the time.

I also kind of liked Countdown: Vampires, although the vampires act more like zombies.
>>
>>2899660

Vampire Hunter D is pretty neat. It's like a proto Devil May Cry. Jaleco had some pretty great little late-gen PS1 games, really. Also check out Vanark - the game is half Starfox, half Resident Evil.
>>
File: Covert_Ops_Nuclear_Dawn_cover.jpg (25KB, 300x298px) Image search: [Google]
Covert_Ops_Nuclear_Dawn_cover.jpg
25KB, 300x298px
I didn't think this was as bad as the critics said. I never finished it, though, but it's supposed to have multiple endings and branching paths, always a good thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1z0pLeAyoQ
>>
>>2900143

I liked it. Reminded me of one of those shitty late-90's action movies, like the developers watched Under Siege 2: Dark Territory and said "YES! WE CAN DO THIS!"
>>
>>2900143
Never heard of this but it looks great, like Dino Crisis except a lot more detailed. I might check it out although it doesn't have much to do with RE clones anymore it seems.

>I didn't think this was as bad as the critics said.

According to mobygames its pro review range from average to good score.
Vampire Hunter D got 1/5 from PSM, either proving that critics don't get it, or that Jaleco didn't invite them for a free dinner.

>>2900118
>The dubbing is fucking terrible, but that was to be expected at the time.

I thought Vampire Hunter D had some of the best VA I've seen in a retro game and it came out pretty much at the same time. T.R.A.G is so-so, it depends on the character, some of alright, some are Deep-Fear bad. BTW earlier ITT I said I thought Gasshu, one of the bad guys, was voiced by the same guy who did the protag of the Sin series, turns out I was wrong according to imdb.

I've started playing Deep Freeze and it seems fun, in a Dino Crisis 2 kind of way, although I can't quite get the hang of the gameplay yet. The fact that it's in Jap doesn't help as I was unable to save and I have no idea why.
>>
File: PSOGL2_092.jpg (732KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
PSOGL2_092.jpg
732KB, 1920x1080px
I've been trying Deep Freeze and while the game is fun, it's super hard. Once you get the hang of it it's fine until you get huge difficulty spikes where there are tons of enemies at the same time. I arrived to a point where after you use the service elevator, you get a cutscene and you fight tons of enemies at once, and you're up against dudes with rocket launcher for the first time. I ALWAYS get fucked at this point, my partner dies and I'm left with no medkits if I make it out alive.
There are so many enemies at once that by the time you shoot one, at least one of the others will shoot you before the game lets you control your character again after the shot you did. It seems the only way to make it out alive of situations like this is to learn it and time flashgrenades and grenades just perfectly.
I'm mostly using the shotgun, maybe I should use a faster weapon for situations like that one?

Any protip on this game? Here is a video I made, I died at the end but I totally sucked, that situation at the end isn't hard compared to the one I just mentionned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaMor13SQD8
>>
>>2900143
I remember this one was called "Chase the Express" in Europe - it's set on a train, right?
>>
>>2901294
Yes, same game.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (75KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
75KB, 1280x720px
>>2900143

Oh man, I loved this game, found out later it had multiple endings so I'll have to play it again sometime.

>>2900158
Yeah that and films like DEATHTRAIN or The Peace Maker.

Something about train levels in action video games makes me happy, and this whole game is practically on a train.
>>
File: york.jpg (10KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
york.jpg
10KB, 300x300px
>>2885796
>>2884050
HOLY SHIT THIS GAME LOOKS BAD ASS
any more gems like this?
>>
>>2881667
RE2
>>
>>2883251
>>2884754
Carrier is ok - just ok, perfectly average. I feel its biggest gimmick, a Thing-style "you don't know which crew members are infected" is horribly undercooked (this mechanic is only used on two random NPCs the entire game with no plot significance), and the game outside of that is pretty by-the-numbers. I was pissed when the game did not tell you, in any way, shape, or form, that what ammo you pick up on your first run affects what ammo remains during your second run with the other character. I certainly wish the fucking manual would have mentioned that. The best thing I can say about Carrier is that it has a nice depressing near-future dystopic atmosphere about it.

>>2885796
Blue Stinger is amazing. Activision fucked the game royally by removing the fixed-camera/tank-controls and inserting instead the worst camera ever. Even with such a huge flaw, the game is very charming, exceedingly goofy, and has the best horror theme ever (a giant shopping mall with infectiously-catchy Christmas music blaring non-fucking-stop). I hated the controls but I really enjoyed my time playing Blue Stinger.

>>2885198
A good majority of Countdown Vampires:
>Pouring water on the butts of unconscious vampires to turn them back into humans, somehow...

>>2884218
I really liked Galerians despite the constantly-rising addiction meter making the game potentially unwinnable if you don't stock up on meds non-stop. The hotel is one of the grimmest places I've played through in a survival horror game - it really sold the shitty world of the game.

>>2884407
On top of the low difficulty, the constant load times and the general lack of anything going on (a few anemic monsters + lots of empty corridors) stick Deep Fear firmly into the "average" camp for me, several notches below Carrier. DF has a lot of wasted talent: Music, monster design, and setting are thrown to the birds.

>>2902956
Blue Stinger and Illbleed were made by the same group. Burn some CD-Rs and have fun.
>>
File: Extermination_Coverart.png (118KB, 256x365px) Image search: [Google]
Extermination_Coverart.png
118KB, 256x365px
>>
>>2902990
>what ammo you pick up on your first run affects what ammo remains during your second run with the other character.

Does that mean you can end up fucked on your 2nd playthrough with not enough ammo to get by?

>>2902990
>Deep Fear firmly into the "average" camp for me, several notches below Carrier.
I'd still rather play Deep Fear honestly, at least it had ideas, Carrier just seemed super bland to me. Then again I never beat it so I should reserve judgement.

I never beat Countdown Vampires either though that's a game I plan to get back to. Maybe after I'm done with Deep Freeze and after I replay Vampire Hunter D on hard...
>>
>>2903125
>NESfag

Go be a special snowflake somewhere else

I wish Hiro would push forced anonymous on all boards already
>>
>>2903121
I genuinely like this game, shitty, barely nonexistant monster design aside. It had some neat ideas, atmosphere is like a mixture of Cold Fear and Dino Crisis 1. I like it.

Sadly I got stuck on the final boss like 6 years ago and haven't picked it up since.
>>
>>2903125
re: Carrier ammo

Not totally, because the game is trivialized with your starter fun with infinite ammo . killing everything just takes longer.
>>
File: Dportrait.jpg (707KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Dportrait.jpg
707KB, 1920x1080px
>that portrait
>>
How do you run Parasite Eve 2 on emulator. I once tried in on ePSXe, but I remember it glitched. Did they fix it?
>>
>>2904938
Yeah I remember having the same problem. However I just played times 5 times and a half using ePSXe v 1.9.25 and plugins Pete's Opengl2 Driver 2.9 and it worked perfectly without a single issue.

There may be better plugins though.
>>
>>2904941
I just read now PE2 problems and the opengl graphics extension, yeah I might try your suggestion. Thanks.
Thread posts: 109
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.