[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any one else remenber this game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8

File: images.jpg (20KB, 283x351px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
20KB, 283x351px
This shit made my childhood and i never got the chance to beat it, just want to hear your guys thoughts about this masterpiece
>>
I remember seeing the ads as a kid - I didn't own a PSX and wasn't allowed to play violent video games yet so the game looked mysterious and AWESOME.

I picked up a copy in 2015 and was sort of underwhelmed. I can imagine how it would have been amazing in 97/98.
>>
GOAT game, GOAT soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09Y23jzIldw

MDK2 was a disappointment, but it's also not retro, so thankfully we don't have to think about it here.
>>
>>2877598
MDk2 is on the dreamcast m8, so we can talk about it. Honestly, I thought MDK2 was a decent game.
>>
I played it recently. Really fun game. I recommend you go ahead and play it again. Has a weird "ending:"
>>
>>2877598
>>2877605
MDK2 was very different. More of a 3D platformer. I guess it was fine but after MDK1 it felt a bit more tedious sometimes.
>>
File: MDK city.jpg (49KB, 470x284px) Image search: [Google]
MDK city.jpg
49KB, 470x284px
>>2877687
Shooting orbs that gave air currents and timing it was tedious as all hell. It just wasn't fun. Though you are right, the first MDK is more of a 3rd person shooter than the second one.

I really like MDK, the later levels actually got REALLY cool looking outside of the Mars crater looking ones.
>>
>>2877928
the visuals in the levels of your pic were a masterpiece
>>
>>2877928
Holy shit, that looks amazing? Is that from the first game? PC version probably. Shiiiiit, really beautiful.
>>
>>2878257
It's from the first MDK, and a really smart rendering trick that doesn't need much computing power.
>>
>>2878264
The background looks like something straight from the 90s demoscene.
>>
I always liked MDK2 alot better. It was basically the same game, aside from the shitty jump/air current parts. Part 2 was way funnier and had much better boss battles
>>
>>2878272
The devs of games from that time were often straight from the 90s demo scene. It was an excellent way to get into the industry, to show off your skills to people looking for talent.
>>
I tried playing MDK on steam but it fucks my computers shit up.
>>
>>2878272
MDK had some photorealistic backgrounds as well
>>
>>2878316
I don't remember this. I have a feeling it turns out that that greenery is just a painting or something.
>>
>>2878341
it's in the second or third crawler. Yes, it's a trap that you shoot yourself out of
>>
I fucking love Messiah, but, somehow, I've never played this game (saw a good chunk of it via YT, though).

I really need to fix this one of these days.
>>
Did you know the dreamcast demo for MDK2 has an unused song?
>>
>>2877569
I remember being kind of pissed off for how it was only 4 hours long, but looking back it was a damn finely honed 4 hours. Also one of the most surreal games ever.

As for MDK2, the first level for Kurt is possibly the best shooter platformer I've ever played.
>>
File: 61Gb0519v9L[1].gif (79KB, 264x266px) Image search: [Google]
61Gb0519v9L[1].gif
79KB, 264x266px
why would someone shitpost about MDK2 on Dreamcast? It was a terrific game, enjoyed critical acclaim, was one of the better looking games on the system, etc etc etc.
>>
>>2878918
A lot of people are disappointed by how it was different from the first one. But despite being different, MDK2 to me is still an awesome game, one of my favorites for the dreamcast. It's very challenging and has a catchy soundtrack.
>>
1 and 2 are vastly underrated.

I liked the French music video at the end as well.
>>
>>2878756
It's the coolest song from the game, but it's only around 33 seconds or so. I wonder if it'd be worth trying to contact Jesper Kyd to see if there's more to it
>>
>>2877569
I only remember the demo I played of I think the second one. What the hell is it about? What does MDK stand for?

I've always remembered that very striking suit of the character in OP's image.
>>
>>2877569
That game is the fucking shit!

The disc came free with my I mac back in the 90s.

I still play it regularly, it still stands.
>>
>>2880458
>What does MDK stand for?
Mothers Day Kisses
>>
>>2880458
>What does MDK stand for?

According to Stallone's movie "Demolition Man" It stands for Murder Death Kill.

However, there's no official confirmation from the developers and they often joke about it when asked, saying it stands for Mother's Day Kisses and stuff like that.
>>
>>2880458
>>2880858
Oh, also, I forgot to mention, according to MDK2 official trailer it stands for Max Kurt Doctor (the main characters).

I think that's the most plausible explanation but still, there's no official meaning to the acronym.
>>
I hated how everything seemed to rotate around the character instead of the character running through the scenery
>>
Shiny was fantastic. Their games were challenging, action-packed, funny and ambitious. MDK, MDK2 and Messiah were all just downright fun to play.
>>
Liked 1. Didn't care for 2.
>>
>>2880458
Ads for the first game said Maim, Destroy, Kill.
>>
>>2881156
MDK2 was made by bioware. But I definitely agree, both MDK and MDK2 are awesome games.
>>
File: Earthworm Jim-full.jpg (92KB, 640x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Earthworm Jim-full.jpg
92KB, 640x1080px
Same guy that made EWJ always wanted to check out MDK
>>
Owned MDK for Mac. It was fucking amazing.
I remember it had an easily triggerable softlock in the first level. Other than that, a solid game with great art direction.
>>
Holy shit an MDK thread? Those reflective levels were fucking perfect and genius
>>
>>2877569
God-tier soundtrack and levels.
>tfw no MDK 3
>>
It was a third person shooter that played and moved like an FPS. A very fast moving one at that.
>>
>>2877569
NON
NON
RIEN A CHANGÉ
>>
>>2880458
Murder Death Kill
Mother's Day Kisses
Max Doc Kurt
Maim Destroy Kill
MDK

>>2884569
MDK is basically a proper Earthworm Jim 3D. Made by the same company, Shiny. Main character is an average thing that is powered up by an awesome suit, primary weapon is a unlimited rapid fire gun that can be upgraded (Jim's Blast, Kurt's Chaingun), character as parachute (Snot buddy, the Ribbon parachute), Dog Companion helps main character out (Pete, Max), levels end in a "space tunnel" (Andy Asteroids, leaving via the Aether), weird at times surrealist environments, semi-violent subject matter with a constant coating of humor, could keep drawing similarities... The big difference is the Sniper Rifle, which I can't think of a way would organically fit an Earthworm Jim Game.
>>
>>2877569
Excellent game

Ridiculously awesome soundtrack by Tommy Tallorico of TechTV/G4TV

Now sniper modes aren't a big deal but back the this was one of the first to have it, and as something new it was cool as hell. Plus it was one of the earlist games with stuff like mirrored surfaces, and it had a trippy cool world.

>>2877598
>>2877928

MDK2 was made by a different company after the first company was bought out and gutted of its IPs, which happened a lot back then.

It was still a good game but not as good as the first.
>>
>>2888323
>as something new it was cool as hell
Not just that. Right at the first time the game tutorials the sniping mode, the enimes you got to snipe taunt you. Using enemies for more than just cannon fodder added so much to the hilarious mood of the game.
>>
File: MDK1.jpg (23KB, 600x360px) Image search: [Google]
MDK1.jpg
23KB, 600x360px
>>2878316
>>2878264
>>2878257
>>2878241
Remember how JRPGs used rendered backgrounds?

Well the dev took it one step further.

What they did was take basic poly shapes any PC and PS1 can handle with low system resource usage, and skin them with rendered images ripped down to the resolution of the systems of the day, which may not seem like a big deal now, but back in 1996 it was pretty damn clever that produced awesome results.
>>
>>2888336
skyboxes were not new. Using rendering styles that seem to be done realtime, for that skybox, was very smart. My comments though were refering to the mirroring trick
>>
File: Mission Deliver Kindness.png (208KB, 747x786px) Image search: [Google]
Mission Deliver Kindness.png
208KB, 747x786px
>>2877569
First properly played about 5 years ago. Good fun but a bit repetitive. They don't make manuals like they used to anymore. Or use manuals at all for that matter.
>>
>>2888347
the original manual of MDK is absolutely hilarious. I love the diary, where half the entries lack a timestamp, because their clock is broken. Such a fun attention to detail.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L983ORZ89a8

I am listening tot he MDK 2 soundtrack right now.

It's a decent game and does a lot to capture the feel of the original as best as it could with being made by a different company, although the first one's still the better of the two.
>>
File: 1438892547950.jpg (101KB, 1280x718px) Image search: [Google]
1438892547950.jpg
101KB, 1280x718px
>MDK2 was one of the first games I got for my Dreamcast on Christmas
>could never get past Kurt's level

Man, on retrospect, the game is kind of easy. Well, easy might be a strong word, but the challenge curve is rather slow and if you know what you're doing, the game is set up that you can heal and all that after most encounters.
>>
>>2886303
TOUT
TOUT
A CONTINUÉ
>>
>>2886095
Give it a few years and that shit will be on kickstarter
>>
>>2893679

It kind of was in a way through first wonder.
>>
That music. That music....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgMAxp0R5qc&index=5&list=PL26A308226CC188C3

Is there not a high quality version of this album?
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.