[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dreamcast Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 17

File: Dreamcast-eye1.jpg (49KB, 500x368px) Image search: [Google]
Dreamcast-eye1.jpg
49KB, 500x368px
What are you playing on your white square lately, /vr/?
>>
File: jOATBcD.jpg (222KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
jOATBcD.jpg
222KB, 1920x1080px
Metropolis Street Racer and Mars Matrix. Two awesome games I've only just got around to playing.

Merry Christmas Dreamcastbros!
>>
What are some multiplayer hidden gems on Dreamcast?
>>
>>2874409
Zombie Revenge and Cannon Spike.
>>
File: 20151015020907.png (609KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
20151015020907.png
609KB, 640x480px
>>2874360

>white square

If Sega used the same naming conventions as other manufacturers they would have named it the Sega Beigewedge 128
>>
File: controller.jpg (69KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
controller.jpg
69KB, 1024x768px
>>2874360
Dont forget to use this when you play your Dreamcast fighting games and shmups!
>>
>>2874472
what is that called, I wanted on
>>
File: IMG_6031[1].jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6031[1].jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Anyone else /gdemu/ here?

Load times are so much shorter, it's insane. After having it for a while I do miss the old disc motor sounds though.
>>
>>2874478
http://segaretro.org/ASCII_Pad_FT
>>
File: the deeps.jpg (912KB, 1449x3201px) Image search: [Google]
the deeps.jpg
912KB, 1449x3201px
>>2874480
is this shit still impossible to buy mailing list only run 2 ?

gotta admit the disk read sounds are right in the feels man ;w;

is there a complete dreamcast romset out there at all ?

Its xmas so of course playan me so SHENMUE
>>
File: UtvZXFJ.jpg (144KB, 1440x1334px) Image search: [Google]
UtvZXFJ.jpg
144KB, 1440x1334px
>>2874487

They're made in Poland by one dude who builds them all by hand, and now he's doing ODEs for multiple models of the Saturn too, so there are large gaps in between times when he opens ordering and the orders come in very quickly. I was pretty lucky to get mine before things got too crazy.

He's mentioned before that he wants it to continue to be a side thing and not a fulltime job, and I can respect that, but I really wish the guy would just hire a person or two to build them exclusively or partner up with a manufacturer or something. If the guys who make the USB based one do this and get the price down than it's pretty much game over for the GDEMU guy.

Hardware like the GDEMU is the future of optical disc based retro consoles. As time goes by more and more optical drives are going to fail, and ODEs are going to be the only solution to being able to reliably play games on native hardware without having to resort to emulation or backward compatibility.

There are complete sets floating around, but I can't remember where I grabbed my disc images from. I think a complete .gdi NTSC set runs around 300GB.

Anyone know where I could find one of those colored replacement shells without spending $80 on amazon?
>>
File: mJXROM9.png (722KB, 851x777px) Image search: [Google]
mJXROM9.png
722KB, 851x777px
> friendly reminder that the Dreamcast was a victim of being over a decade ahead of its time

Woulda been like Sega Channel all over again
>>
>>2874568
connectivity is a bad thing. One of the reasons I play /vr/ is the lack of service integration, lack of reliance on remote services and servers. It's what allows for these games to work and exist beyond the lifetime of the infrastructure. Fuck connectivity.
>>
>>2874568
The pay-per-play model belongs in the arcade. This, and the modern dlc and pay-to-win approaches have thoroughly destroyed games, as the purpose of these games was no longer to entertain, but to make the player throw more money at the publisher. Games that deliberately introduce negative feelings of inferiority and impatience, with the "solution" in form of a micro purchase, games that are nothing more than a string of instructions leading from one such purchase to the next. This is not a desirable model for gaming, this is the death of it.

I'd dare say, with that statement of the DC being a decade ahead of its time, you make a very strong point that this machine does not belong in this board.
>>
File: 1432064384129.jpg (116KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1432064384129.jpg
116KB, 640x480px
>>2874582

I wish that the "Dreamcast isn't retro" meme would die already.

It's been two years.
>>
>>2874595
anon said the console was a decade ahead of its time, and proved it by showing conceptually the dreamcast had all the trash we're suffering from on modern systems. That is the only point I commented on. Beyond that, I don't give a fuck about the DC being or not being retro
>>
>>2874601

>conceptually the dreamcast had all the trash we're suffering from on modern systems

The Genesis had the Sega Channel, the N64 had SharkWire, the SNES had the Satellaview, even the Intellivision had PlayCable and could charge people for games transferred over TV lines 35 years ago.

If the DC shouldn't be retro for having a concept that fizzled out, than surely those other consoles shouldn't be considered retro because they had media streaming/game distribution/pay to play services that were actually released.
>>
>>2874614
>If the DC shouldn't be retro
Sheesh, calm the fuck down. It was a throwaway statement in response to the "decade ahead of its time". Good to know though consoles have been trash since the early 90s at least.
>>
>>2874619

>Good to know though consoles have been trash since the early 90s at least.

Why are you here?
>>
>>2874625
retro games, mostly DOS, but occasionally I'll go for the GBC as well, and if all else fails, /vr/ games that don't use these bullshit "services".
Oh, an the DC had some pretty standalone games, which is why I'm in this thread.
And you? Just here for the outrage? Rage on, anon.
>>
I need to reburn a bunch of games. CD-Rs seem to last longer than my PS2 DVD-Rs but even they wear down after a few years.
>>
>>2874619

>early 90s

>implying 1979 was the early 90s

Nice math skills. You must be one of those "common core" kids I keep hearing about.
>>
>>2874629

>PS2 DVD-Rs

For what purpose? If you have a fatty throw an IDE hard drive in there and softmod it for free. Run your games from the hard drive and see super short load times.
>>
>>2874631
SNES, N64 and Genesis are not from 1979. The IV is too obscure and useless for me to give a fuck about. Your outrage has been noted though.
>>
>>2874637

> I made a mistake and talked about consoles from "the early 90s" and as a result I'm going to claim that the console I missed was "too obscure"

I guess you also forgot that the Genesis was released in 1988, or was it also "too obscure"?
>>
>>2874643
>forgot
never cared for. The only console I owned in my life was a PS2.
>>
>>2874438
Zombie revenge is hard as fuck
>>
>>2874646

>>2874625
>>
>>2874651

>>2874628
>>
>>2874646

Do people like you gain pleasure from shitposting? Fuck off already.
>>
merry xmas /vr/ are you enjoying ur dreamcast this morning?
>>
>>2874654
My first post regarding the DC features was serious. Then anon got their panties in a twist over nothing, begging for stupid responses to stupid posts.
>>
File: virtualonot-02.png (208KB, 640x448px) Image search: [Google]
virtualonot-02.png
208KB, 640x448px
>>2874657
It's Oratorio Tangram time at my house!
>>
>>2874661

So you're giving stupid responses? Knock it off. We can't have a single Dreamcast thread on /vr/ without people shitting it up like a bunch of babies.
>>
>>2874671
sure am, though they're all true. I don't even need to make up things for you people to go apeshit.
>>
File: shenmuesweaty.jpg (28KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
shenmuesweaty.jpg
28KB, 640x480px
>>2874674

At least Dreamcast fans can into simple math. Maybe you'd be more at home at /v/.
>>
>>2874671
>shitting it up like a bunch of babies
Yeah, that'd be >>2874595 rambling something about memes nobody gives a fuck about. You guys are so desperate to be outraged, you latch on to the tiniest statements, and twist them up in your paranoid heads, just so you can get your persecution complex going. You can't have a single DC thread on /vr/ without people shitting it up, because you're desperately looking for anything that could be constructed as shitting. Just calm the fuck down, talk about DC and ignore the shit.
>>
>>2874676
You think it's a math problem? I simply overlooked the Intellivision, and had no clue the Genesis is older than you. There's no math involved. Plenty of paranoia on your end though. Have fun getting angry. Or better yet, drop this stupid shit, fire up your DC, real or emulated, and play some damn games. The system's pretty entertaining, looking good, and you got nothing better to do than trying to go smartass on a random anon that didn't care enough to actually read the entire post directed at them. Get your priorities straight.
>>
>>2874678

>talk about DC

You first. Stop shitposting and actually contribute something of value, which you have not done yet.

Or come to terms with the fact that you have lost an argument with an anonymous stranger on the internet and go find something else to do.

Either option will immediately improve the quality of this thread.
>>
>>2874681

>can't count
>somehow that means the other guy is wrong

you just blew my friggin' mind man
>>
>>2874683
>You first
I note that your entire comment is not DC related.
As for me, here's your reply: One of the few games I had on the PS2 was Rez. When I got rid of the PS2, I picked it up again for null DC. Been on my active playlist ever since.
Got Crazy Taxi as well, and while I think it's an impressive game, I'm having difficulties getting into the mindset of it, and without a clear manual most of the special moves are a bit tough to pull off. Nice to fire up every now and then though.

>come to terms with the fact that you have lost an argument
What argument? They got angry and I laughed. I failed to read, so what? Have a cookie, hell, grab the full jar, I don't give a fuck.

>improve the quality of this thread.
Says the person responding with a useless off-topic reply.
>>
>>2874684
>somehow that means the other guy is wrong
nice implying. Nah, there are people with a clue on this thread, and I'm not one of them. Why should I care though? You're the only one obsessed with being right here. Can't give you any cookies though, another anon got the whole jar, greedy little bastard.
>>
File: SantaMaeno.jpg (256KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
SantaMaeno.jpg
256KB, 1024x768px
Merry Christmas /vr/ you pedantic shitposting faggots!
>>
File: 1370968033750.jpg (21KB, 338x203px) Image search: [Google]
1370968033750.jpg
21KB, 338x203px
>>2874686

>I failed to read, so what?

Basic reading comprehension is required to fully enjoy 4chan, considering 90% of it is text.

> and without a clear manual

Googling "crazy taxi dreamcast manual" gives you a .pdf as the very first result, there is a whole page on how to do the "crazy" moves. I guess this doesn't help you if you don't know how to read though.

Good call on which one to get though, I like the original Crazy Taxi much more than the sequel. There's just something magical about hearing YA YA YA YA YA and tear-assing through not San Francisco that CT2 doesn't have.
>>
>>2874702
>considering 90% of it is text.
Pretty pathetic for an image-based bulletin board, isn't it?

>I guess this doesn't help
Nope, doesn't, lacking a DC controller. I remember that some of the descriptions just wouldn't work for me. Maybe the controller, or a bad config, or I don't know. The joys of emulation.

>I like the original Crazy Taxi much more than the sequel
That's the case for me with most games that have sequels. The sequels just tend to miss the focus of the original game, adding bells and whistles nobody asked for. In my case, I think I have CT2 lying around somewhere, but had no desire yet to fire it up. I want to get along with CT first.
>>
>>2874704

You seriously can't afford twenty bucks for an actual Dreamcast and some CDRs? Get a McJob or mow some lawns or something.

DC emulation is a shit.
>>
>>2874707
>can't afford
Don't care enough. I'm emulating at 1440x1080, with a wireless controller and an LCD. Some people may lose their shit over statements like that, but for me it's simply good enough.
>>
Puyo Puyo Fever and Project Justice.
>>
cleared soul reaver, still trying to beat jet set radio
but the DC controller is agony, it hurts my hands so much i'm crying bitch tears of frustration
>>
>>2874438
SOUTH UNION RAILWAY
SOUTH TERMINAL
CASSANDRA
>>
>>2874937
>tfw the DC would've got Soul Reaver 2 if it hadn't been killed by Peter Moore
>>
>>2874989

I still haven't played Soul Reaver past the first maybe half an hour. I should get on that though, the whole shifting between the material and spectral realms thing was pretty cool.
>>
>>2874937

it's literally greatest controller of all time. how can it hurt u.
>>
>>2875367

I wouldn't go that far.

It's perfect for arcade games though, which is the direction that Sega was going with for the Dreamcast.
>>
>>2874360
mine is the Sports edition, but ever since I got two Qanba Q1 sticks modded for Dreamcast and PlayStation I've been playing tons of that Street Fighter III Third Strike. All I play is that along with some Capcom vs SNK 2.
>>
File: Dreamcast_light_gun[1].jpg (233KB, 1158x1079px) Image search: [Google]
Dreamcast_light_gun[1].jpg
233KB, 1158x1079px
I've got two of pic related in pretty good shape, got them from a guy years ago because they "didn't work".

He didn't know that the official DC gun was locked out of NTSC games (with two exceptions) because Sega didn't want to take any heat right after Columbine, so they only work with JPN games.

I never use them (not into lightgun shooters and hooking up the CRT is a pain in the ass), probably going to throw them up in the next b/s/t thread that comes along.

I borrowed on of the Interact guns from a friend a while back and had fun going through House of the Dead 2 again though.
>>
>>2875897
>hooking up the CRT is a pain in the ass
Shouldn't they work just fine with normal displays?
>>
File: C6jKs.jpg (254KB, 1024x765px) Image search: [Google]
C6jKs.jpg
254KB, 1024x765px
>>2875903

Traditional lightguns don't work with LCD/LED/Plasma TVs.

You need a newer lightgun that uses IR sensing (meaning you need a sensor bar, similar to the Wii's controller).
>>
>>2875907
I'm curious, how come they don't work? In my understanding it's just a photo sensor, going for straight up brightness.

The sensor bar stuff is an entirely unrelated mechanism
>>
>>2875926

Basically when you pull the trigger on a lightgun the screen goes blank for a split second and displays a pattern, the sensor in the gun can see the pattern, and as a result knows what part of the screen you aimed at. It sends that data to the console to determine what was at that point when you pulled the trigger, and then you either hit or miss an enemy.

With non-CRT displays the sensor isn't able to accurately detect the pattern, so the gun cannot determine where it has been aimed. You need an alternative location detection method (like sensor bars) to figure out where the gun is aiming.
>>
>>2875949
>With non-CRT displays the sensor isn't able to accurately detect the pattern
Why is that? That's my question. I'm aware of the general principles of a light gun, and that's precisely why I'm puzzled. It needs to detect for the duration of at least one full frame, to detect the lit region. So on an LCD, any strobe effects or stuff like that, shouldn't matter. How come it can't get its region?
>>
>>2875961

I dunno man check wikipedia or something I ain't no engineer
>>
>>2876018
looks like the more sophisticated ones use cathode ray timing. Pretty insane that this actually works. Makes sense then that LCDs can't work for them, lacking a ray.
>>
>>2874628
>DOS games
Hahahaha. I bet you're one of those guys that thinks Ultima IV is good.
>>
>>2874360
is there a proper way to emulate the dreamcast yet ?
I remember demul or some other emulator being a thing but it was an ass to set up correctly
>>
>>2876306
if null DC is improper, I'll emulate it improperly then. All the stuff I want to work, works, and looks fine.
>>
File: 0557.png (60KB, 304x224px) Image search: [Google]
0557.png
60KB, 304x224px
Is Gunlord worth the dollaroos?
>>
>>2876565
I have no idea how much it costs now but it is a pretty good game. Turrican with elements of Metroid.
>>
File: 23137519.jpg (131KB, 495x700px) Image search: [Google]
23137519.jpg
131KB, 495x700px
Is it a rule that every single Dreamcast game has to have an amazing soundtrack?
>>
>>2876581
Hey /vr/, a dreamcast core for retroarch is nearly done.
What should I emulate on my glorious Mitsu 2070sb?
>>
where can i get the full gdi rom set? i'll seed forever?
>>
>>2876626
Shinmew 1&2.
>>
>>2877256

I thought I got mine forever ago from bitgamer, but I guess I'm either misremembering or the torrent is no longer there.

I tried searching my PC to see if I had the actual .torrent file still, but I don't.
>>
>>2877256
rutracker
>>
>>2877304
Thanks
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.