[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else remember this game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 24

File: Hexen.png (26KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Hexen.png
26KB, 320x240px
Anyone else remember this game?
>>
>>2872289
It's widely regarded as a classic and the best game in the Serpent Riders games. Why wouldn't anyone. /vr/ used to have small generals about Hexen for a while.
Better question would be if anyone remembers Hexen 2 as it's never brought up.
>>
>>2872308
i know about hexen 2 but ive never played it. and i know noone in my life whose ever known about hexen besides a family member of mine
>>
>>2872289
I was hosting it coop on Z& for like a week last week and noone joined. So no, nobody remembers it.
>>2872317
I'd like to host Hexen 2, but it doesn't want to work for whatever reason. Maybe I'll try again
>>
File: Serpent Rider Series.jpg (148KB, 1730x653px) Image search: [Google]
Serpent Rider Series.jpg
148KB, 1730x653px
>>2872289
I know there's someone who remembered them all.
>>
>>2872289
I remember it, it wasn't very fun in my opinion.
Cool though.
>>
This and Worms 2 were the games that came with my first computer in 1998.

I played Worms 2 much more often.
>>
>>2872289
>DDQID
>"nice try lad, now get rekt"
fug the good ol days
>>
>>2872289
I picked up a used copy at a thrift shop for $5 a year ago. I played through some of it but it was a bit slow compared to DOOM so I haven't finished it yet.
>>
File: 3589023.webm (1MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
3589023.webm
1MB, 1600x900px
>>2872289
It's my favorite game of all time.

>>2872601
>someone saved my chart
Neat.
>>
>>2872601
I love Heretic to death, but I hate how raycaster engines give me severe motion sickness. It's not a "this is ugly" thing, the engines are beautiful, and I played stuff like Wolf 3D, Doom and Heretic back when they were new. It's something about the movement speed and possibly the sudden motions associated with keyboard controls. Within an hour I get physically sick. Won't stop me though from replaying some of the levels every now and then. Awesome and especially beautiful games.
I like Heretic in particular because of its smooth translation of Doom-like sci-fi weapons into a medieval fantasy setting
>>
>>2873039
Hexen was quite impressive in its own way, because it was pushing abilities and features of the Doom raycaster engine to its limits. After Heretic though, it was more of an iteration and less of a breakthrough.
>>
File: serpent riders saga.png (1MB, 1480x1440px) Image search: [Google]
serpent riders saga.png
1MB, 1480x1440px
>>2872289
I remember.
>>
>>2873057
>implying Thysis wasn't great

Hello again.
>>
>>2873061
Thysis made me the bitter and jaded anon I am today. Hello, Hexen 2 has such a small fanbase that I wonder if you're the same anon who posts Demoness' images.
>>
>>2873067
But that hub was so nice to look at and had the best remixed music in the game.

Yeah, that'd be me. I think we're the only two.
>>
>>2873071
>Hexen 2 music
What a disappointment that was. These were the only songs that stuck out to me that weren't randomly thrown in Heretic/Hexen tracks, everything was just so forgettable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMqYgsx1xrw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZCEIhAptHw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC5Sbr50ksA
>>
File: Hexen 2 Pyramid of Anubis.png (269KB, 1024x732px) Image search: [Google]
Hexen 2 Pyramid of Anubis.png
269KB, 1024x732px
>>2873071
I agree. I'm a little biased in favor towards anything involving ancient Egypt, but the visuals were definitely the best in the entire game. It's just that it was confusing to navigate and they went all out with the puzzles in that hub, which would be fitting I guess, so once I finished Thysis I was glad it's finally over. You should try Fortress of Four Doors, it's bretty gud.
>>
>>2872823
Worms 2 is indeed a lot more fun.

>>2872878
>but it was a bit slow compared to DOOM so I haven't finished it yet
That's most of it honestly, it's a game with a very slow boil.
A lot of love went into making the game but it never gets as exciting as Doom.

>>2873039
>It's something about the movement speed and possibly the sudden motions associated with keyboard controls.
Maybe you should invest in some manner of USB gamepad?
Modern sourceports for these games usually support them.
With a proper analog stick you'll get true 360 degree movement, which can be very fine and precise.

If you turn on Always Run and then set the sensitivity to high, and have a decent stick, you can move the stick slightly for slower and finer movement, and then push it all the way to go in full gear.
If you don't like using an analog for freelook, there exist alternatives (though modern gamepads should be pretty accommodating).
>>
>>2873141
>A lot of love went into making the game but it never gets as exciting as Doom.
It's not a shooter, don't try playing it as one, or you'll have as much fun as trying to treat Super Mario like an RPG.

>Maybe you should invest in some manner of USB gamepad?
I got one, doesn't change the digital nature of their inputs (except for mouse look, obviously)

>Modern sourceports
No interest

>true 360 degree movement
Yeah, no. At most restricted up/down looking, like in Heretic, is fine with me. Anything beyond that just messed with the game

As for the stick slightly moving: my history is with PC gaming. I'm very noobish with analog thumbsticks, using them almost exclusively in a digital fashion.
Not a fault with the game. Just saying, that input won't do me any favors. If anything, it would help to just set up mouse look, disable y-axis to prevent movement via mouse, map strafing to a/d or left/right, and then get cracking
>>
>>2873145
>doesn't change the digital nature of their inputs
Oh it does in sourceports, that's why I brought them up. The old Doom and Hexen .exes dont interpret analog movement, but new sourceports do, like GZDoom

GZDoom can furthermore be configured to play and behave pretty much like the original .exes, so you can have the same resolution and graphics, same gameplay, same options, etc
>>
>>2873161
Yeah, I'm aware of sourceports, don't like them, as I suggested in the previous response. That said, long ago I tried one of the more faithful sourceports for Doom, and it didn't help much, as, obviously, the visuals, including the sudden motion and minor distortions, were left intact. It also didn't feel like Doom, so I had basically had a new set of problems on top of the existing problems. Not a solution for me personally.

Just to clarify: I'm aware of the problem, and potential workarounds, not looking for answers. I got my way to deal with these games. I'm just not too happy about the solutions, as I know I can't play these games how I want to. I got to either destroy their nature, by using source ports; or destroy my guts, by playing through the motion sickness.
>>
>>2873168
>destroy their nature
You can configure it down to behave and look like the original ganes, how does it destroy their nature?

There's compat flags for the original bugs, quirks and behaviors even.
>>
>>2873176
>You can configure it down to behave and look like the original ganes, how does it destroy their nature?
Then I might as well play the original, no? As far as I understood you, you suggested source ports to take advantage of features that improve input and smoothness of movements. However, that input, as much as my guts may hate it, is, in my opinion, a part of the game.
>>
>>2873180
Oh, you mean like that.
I honestly never understood purism
>>
>>2873208
no idea about purism, but I strongly believe that a game's difficulty, level design and fairness to the player are all tuned to the visuals and inputs available at the creation of the game. I can change these things, and on some games I do, but I'm aware that I do alter the game, and in some cases will alter it for the worse.
>>
File: bishop.png (10KB, 292x570px) Image search: [Google]
bishop.png
10KB, 292x570px
>>2872289
This game turned me into a fan of gothic art style and architecture at age 7.

>>2872308
I loved Hexen 2 as a kid, and still like it, it's just not as good as Hexen 1, possibly due to the new engine and the transition to full 3D not being able to carry over the same atmosphere the previous games had.

>>2873039
Are you sure the movement is the problem? My dad says the same thing, but i've had a different experience. Using GZDoom i used to get splitting headaches after 10 minutes, but later found out it had some shitty smoothed texture filter enabled, and after taking it off the headaches disappeared. Might not be related, but thought it'd be worth mentioning.

And speaking of Hexen, was Brutal Hexen abandoned?
>>
>>2873245
>Are you sure the movement is the problem?
No, I am not. I know though that Wolf3D, Doom, Heretic and Hexen all have this effect on me. I don't remember if Duke 3D did, so if it did, it was to a lesser extend. All of this was on the original hardware of the days, as well as the present; so I can rule out stuff like smoothed textures.
Oddly enough, a couple generations later, I can handle Unreal Tournament 99 just fine, but Quake 3 Arena has the problems in full effect. Some people say narrow FoV causes motion sickness for them, but as far as I know, Q3A has the standard 90°, and UT99 is not any wider, so I'd rule that out for me. Also, Rollcage has a ridiculously wide FoV, yet I can hardly handle more than half an hour of this game. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. kills me as well, but I suspect it's primarily the headbob.
So, there are plenty reasons of why a game causes problems for me. I just kind of suspect it's the way of movement, but I have no proof for it, or a fix.
>>
>>2872830
It's IDDQD, I think.
>>
>>2872289
>Greetings, mortal. Are you ready to die?
>>
>>2873245
>but later found out it had some shitty smoothed texture filter enabled, and after taking it off the headaches disappeared
Almost sounds like when I use LCDs two things give me headaches, the brightness and their blurry pixel response. My eyes concentrate on the details and when they get blurred my eyes constantly have to focus and refocus and strain themselves to see what's not there, giving me headaches when using LCDs.
>>
>>2873398
>brightness
There are dials and buttons for that

>blurry pixel response
Is that meme still alive? Any modern display has grey response times well below 60fps
>>
>>2872289
Yeah I remember it. I'm working on a hub for it right now.

There's some pretty decent WADs out there for Hexen. Necrosis for example.
>>
File: 378589236.jpg (103KB, 1017x786px) Image search: [Google]
378589236.jpg
103KB, 1017x786px
>>2873376
I absolutely loved hearing Korax's taunts throughout the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXLPJH-JOLc
>>
>>2873405
>There are dials and buttons for that
There would be if it also didn't mean shitting on the color balance and white level.

>Is that meme still alive?
Is that meme still alive? TFTCentral says fuck you too buddy cuz yer wrong. Also, even though many are still close to 50-60 it's also worse for most because most still are using sample and hold, which makes shit worse even. In short, stop being a fucking meme toting bitchass tool yourself.
>>
File: capture.jpg (45KB, 645x332px) Image search: [Google]
capture.jpg
45KB, 645x332px
>>2873960
And here's a good example of what one can expect with that meme. Ooops. Did you know that the alien has three eyes? Because basically every fucking CRT you've ever come across can show you that fact. Whereas the only thing LCDs have going for them in fucking 2000 and fucking 15 is a bunch of niggers who lie about their shit because they're ass damaged about blowing wads of cash on less than great displays and can't handle reality.
>>
>>2872289
The PSX version was shitty. Herectic was more fun and gun. Also DOOM thread could answer this.
>>
>>2873967
>Did you know that the alien has three eyes?
I don't care. I'm enjoying my game.
>>
>>2873057
heretic is better than hexen and heretic 2 is actually good too you fag. different but still good.
>>
File: 1335048527093.png (14KB, 178x178px) Image search: [Google]
1335048527093.png
14KB, 178x178px
>Hecatomb will never exist
>>
>>2875261
Heretic is just Doom: Fantasy Edition while Hexen is a bit more than that. An open smiley face is all it gets. It doesn't mean that it's bad. Heretic 2 is just pants on head retarded, like you for not being able to accept different opinions.
>>
File: 1445804637251.png (173KB, 500x388px) Image search: [Google]
1445804637251.png
173KB, 500x388px
What's your favorite class between the two games?

http://strawpoll.me/6363581
>>
File: 1.jpg (731KB, 1280x1780px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
731KB, 1280x1780px
>>
File: 2.jpg (721KB, 1280x1780px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
721KB, 1280x1780px
>>
File: 3.jpg (707KB, 1280x1780px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
707KB, 1280x1780px
>>
File: 4.jpg (729KB, 1280x1780px) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
729KB, 1280x1780px
>>
File: 1348412760449.jpg (68KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1348412760449.jpg
68KB, 480x270px
>>2876646
>Strength: ?
>>
>>2876651
>BEST GAME ON SATURN (At that stage)
>1. Exhumed

fuck yes, I love that game. Played it recently. very difficult. very underrated
>>
Been a long time. Wish me luck
>>
File: 328960347805.jpg (22KB, 319x460px) Image search: [Google]
328960347805.jpg
22KB, 319x460px
>>2877447
Good luck, mortal
>>
When will Brutal HeXen be finished?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO_17I3k75g
>>
>>2877512
Hopefully not.
>>
>>2877535
why not?
>>
>>2877541
Because I get totally ass blasted at simple emphasis of core atmospheric concepts that the game was designed around. I hate when fantasy is toooo fantasy or things designed to be violent are toooo violent or things that are faster are even faster. Oh, I get steaming just thinking about minimalistic things being well implemented. The only thing that makes me angrier is when things are enjoyed by many people or the thought of my mom not celebrating my thirteenth birthday next year.
>>
>>2877740
Sounds unhealthy, you should probably talk to your mom's boyfriend about that.
>>
>>2872308
the first hub world is fantastic but it takes a massive nose dive soon after
>>
>>2872289
Was it this or was it Heretic where those horse arse enemies were?
>>
>>2872601
Reminder that Heretic II set the groundwork for melee combat that would later become Jedi Knight II.
>>
>>2877740
Well tough shit for you.
>>
i assigned the automap to "M", but pressing M again wont bring me back to battle screen. wtf do i press? I'm using gzdoom, dont know if that effects it or not
>>
>>2878634
I had the same issue rebinding map to M while playing Heretic. Don't know how to fix that, ended up not using the map at all.
>>
>>2873948
How about in different languages?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhREiu1PLlA
>>
Wheres the other half of this puzzle? I cant find it.
>>
>>2878694
look behind you
>>
>>2878702
I already cleared the place out tho. I pulled the chain near the falling platforms, i hit the red star key, and pulled the chain behind me in that pic, i dont know what im missing :/
>>
god I hate this level
>>
>>2878863
Yeah, that one's rough.
>>
>>2878713
Welcome to hexen.

Don't be scared to use walkthroughs if you get stuck. They will save you a lot of frustration.

When you get to the point where you're running around in circles and have no idea what to do, its walkthrough reference time, just to get you back on your own two feet.
>>
>>2878424
Ugghhh, fuck that, I'm so sick hearing all this shit about the whole glorified politically correct story of The Alliance of Rebels and Other Criminals!
>>
File: pbQhRt2.jpg (151KB, 377x570px) Image search: [Google]
pbQhRt2.jpg
151KB, 377x570px
>>2878424
The melee combat and Andoria alone make Heretic 2 an amazing game.
>>
>>2879589
I loved the first town levels in that. I still have my CD somewhere, can you even buy it anymore?
>>
>>2879595
I'm not seeing it on GoG or Steam.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.