[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SMT thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: Shin_Megami_Tensei_The_First.jpg (139KB, 241x388px) Image search: [Google]
Shin_Megami_Tensei_The_First.jpg
139KB, 241x388px
Should I just quit playing this and move on to smt2? I hear it's way better and I'm kind of losing interest quickly in the first. I've played IV and Nocturne and loved them so i wanted to start from the beginning. The rate that I run into a fight is so fucking high, though, I seriously just had a fight every step of the way out of a 4 block room.
>>
The gameplay in SMT2 really isn't much better but the encounter rate is significantly lower and much more bearable, yeah.
I heard the story is alright but I didn't get that far. It's defintely not worth playing for the gameplay, though. Early MegaTen games are just kind of shit to be honest.
>>
>>2869226
I'm kind of in the same boat, I'm loving the later SMT entries but I'm also trying to play 1 right now, and I"m feeling similar. I put aside any notion of 'pride' or whatever you call it and I'm just cutting through any way I can. I'm using guides, I'm fast forwarding through a lot of fights/grinding, anything to make it bearable since the story is really what I'm here for.

>>2869690
>Early MegaTen games are just kind of shit to be honest.
I hate to admit it but that's how I'm feeling, the cool story and atmosphere can't make up for the lackluster gameplay and drab environments, etc.

When does it seem the SMT games break out of it's major negative trappings and become really good? I assume 1, probably 2, probably If... and the Megaten1/2 remake are all on the rough side.
>>
>>2869226
I fucking love this game. I've played both the SNES translation and the iOS remake and both are dope. The music is fucking great and the story is spooky and scary. It's just so grindy and honestly I can't play it without a guide. I feel like a dick. Still haven't beaten it.
>>
>>2869226
Check out Soul Hackers if you want an enjoyable old school SMT.
>>
Is it me, or is it really hard to recruit new demons in smt 2?

I'm only a few hours in and I've only been able to recruit one demon so far.

Should I bother putting points into int?

Also, does smt have a compendium of some sort? Or was this something that didn't happen until the later games?
>>
File: distress.png (16KB, 152x153px) Image search: [Google]
distress.png
16KB, 152x153px
SMT if... translation when
>>
If you want to finish it fast just rush for Charm Bullets dude.

I actually love the hell out of this game, but 2 for me is the best. It adds a lot of plot, more relatable characters, while also being a lot more bearable. Fusioning demons seems best as well and you can create some REALLY strong stuff. Also it has a lot less backtrack overall (yes SMT1 last dungeon I'm looking at you).

It's easily on my top 10 rpg list.
>>
What does everyone think of Majin Tensei games? They probally use the most out of the snes when it comes to music.
>>
>>2871287
When I think about MT I think(like you yourself noted) about the music. Also I love the intro in MT1.
>>
>>2869226
Get a demon with Estoma.

>>2870767
>grinding
You don't have to grind for shit in SMT. I dodged most random encounters as soon as I could and was totally fine.
The only megaten games I had to grind in are MT1 and Persona 1.

>>2870839
I started learning Japanese about the same time as last AGTP update about if... and I already beaten it.
>>
>>2871903
>You don't have to grind for shit in SMT
Truth. SMT is and always will be about exploiting weaknesses, having the right demons for the situation, and not underestimating buffs.

If you're grinding in a SMT game, you are literally doing it wrong.
>>
>>2871934
>SMT is and always will be about stunlocking bosses with Zionga
fixed that for you
I just ran through the whole game with Estoma up
>>
>>2871287
I only played 1 and I fucking hate it so much.
>>
File: dancing furiously.gif (39KB, 450x338px) Image search: [Google]
dancing furiously.gif
39KB, 450x338px
>>2870830
You're gonna need INT. Try for 10.
I believe SMT Nocturne was the first game to have a compendium. The compendium function was added to later ports of SMT games (like Devil Summoner)
>>2871934
>Truth. SMT is and always will be about exploiting weaknesses, having the right demons for the situation, and not underestimating buffs.
Post-Nocturne, maybe. SMT 1 has none of that. The atmosphere in SMT 1 really makes up for the simple gameplay, I think.
>>
>>2869226
Doorways have like a 90% encounter chance when you step through them.
>>
Hey, I just finished SMT 1. I recommend skipping to SMT 2 and just reading the story. The story for 1 is not complicated and pretty redundant and self-explanatory if you have any context. Shin Megami Tensei II seems to have way better gameplay, story, random encounter rate, controls, and general playability.
>>
Playing through SMT1 iOS right now. I got into it a couple of days ago on a whim and like it a lot, though its story is definitely thin and the game not as challenging as I expected. That said, if this one's the weakest or one of the lesser mainline games, that means II and the post-/vr/ entries are gonna be worthwhile.

Not sure why people really like pre-Soul Hackers/Persona SMT music, on another note. SMT1's music is decent but lacking for 1992, and I hear II is even more disappointing. Masuko did great stuff for games like Blazeon, but his MT work is weak.
>>
>>2869226
I loved playing this game during a period of insomnia. The battles are so mindless and the boss battles are so hard that it requires much grinding to get through. Strangely addicting, but I could not imagine a less enjoyable game to replay nearly a decade later.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.