[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best arcade fighter?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 8

File: jojocapcompic_071512.jpg (93KB, 640x447px) Image search: [Google]
jojocapcompic_071512.jpg
93KB, 640x447px
I've recently been jamming the Jojo arcade fighter and that's pretty good, but it made me think about what I might be missing.
>>
they all suck ass, honestly
>>
>>2867727
Super Street Fighter II Turbo.
>>
>>2867739
Hyper Fighting > ST
>>
Garou
>>
Also which KOF is the best?
So far i've played 98 and that new one, XIII or something
>>
>>2867746
98 and 2k2 are probably the best, but if just talking about arcade, I'm not sure 2k2 is well liked in its initial (arcade) form
>>
>>2867746
kof is shit unless you're a spic
>>
>>2867750
go back to /fgg/, they will gladly circle jerk over SF with you
>>
2D: Garou or 3rd Strike
3D: Virtua Fighter 2

>>2867741
>Melee
>fighting game
>retro
>>
File: Benimarukofxii.gif (40KB, 153x267px) Image search: [Google]
Benimarukofxii.gif
40KB, 153x267px
>>2867750
I just really liked doing cool flips and shit with Benimaru. He's a pretty stylish dude.
>>
>>2867756
>>2867745
Getting both of these now. Is there any special shit I should know before heading into these games?
>>
>>2867761
I play GG mostly myself, have only dabbled in VF, but I do like to play the occasional KoF and outside of 13 and its shitty HD cancels, I think its a decent enough series

Also blue mary fun as fuck in 98, they don't make command grabbers like they used to
>>
>>2867727

The undoubted greatest arcade fighter of all time is Touryuu Densetsu Elan Doree. Bar none.
>>
>>2867727
from about anyone that are fans of fighting games I've heard that the JoJo games aren't really that good and that the popularity was just a fad. But then again I don't know because I really can't stand fighting games and don't understand the appeal at all.
>>
>>2867813
It's mostly gimmicky fanservice, there's only 3 attack buttons plus a "Stand" button. They're still pretty fun for fans of the series though
>>
>>2867746
98, 2002, and XI are probably the most well regarded.

I personally prefer 98.
>>
>>2867746
02UM (big-ass roster, improved mechanics from OG02), 98UM (big-ass roster, only issue is the lowered damage is kind of an issue), and 13 (gorgeous, plays pretty well, has some dumb shit) are the best.
XI (kind of weird), 97 (98 does everything 97 does but better as a fighter, although 97 has my favorite presentation in the series), 2000 (has strikers, but it's still a solid game) are decent.

the rest have problems
>94's rough and no team edit
>95 is an improvement to 94 but not enough
>96 is literally unfinished and Leona is fucking retarded good
>99 has strikers and a couple stupid changes that make no sense (why is back rolling gone)
>2001 doubles down on how dumb strikers are (instead of being limited, you spend meter on them), has a poorly thought out ratio system, and has awful balance, also kind of shitty music (some tracks are almost good, but the instrument choices are rancid) and backgrounds (looks like low quality digitized photos with a bit of hand pixel editing), considered the worst KOF
>2003 is literally unfinished (it's got some dumb bugs too, also Duo Lon is retarded good)
>12 is literally unfinished (not terrible, but 13 overwrites it in every way)

>>2867769
the HD system actually does hurt the game
>hey, let's take 02's MAX mode and make it dumber
pretty sure most of the cast can 100% an opponent with 5 bars and full drive stocks, shit's kind of obnoxious

mind you, your opponent literally needs to have full resources, and it's much harder with some characters than others because KOF has less lenient timings for combos (so, your opponent needs to be actually good), but it is an issue
>>
>>2868169
I didn't mind strikers too much. They weren't a "good" addition, but I they didn't ruin it for me. My issue with '99 is how everyone kind of sucks. Most of the regular cast got de-powered from '98 and most of the new characters except K' and maybe Jhun suck. Whip, Maxima and friends do get good as the years go by but that year they're all pretty terrible.

XII and XIII don't even feel like KoF to me at this point. Doesn't help that the art style is so awful. KoF looks really weird with everyone made to be that cartoony.
>>
/vr/ pretends to like SFA3 and garou
>>
File: 1398486759472.png (79KB, 458x443px) Image search: [Google]
1398486759472.png
79KB, 458x443px
>>2867736
Are you for real?
>>
Marvel vs capcom 2?
>>
>>2867727
Depends on taste, if you like more "traditional fighters" the go with Street Fighter Alpha 2, Street Fighter 3 Darkstalkers 2 Garou: Mark of Wolves and Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo.
For "Team Based" i would go for King of FIghters 98, 2002 and XIII.
if you are more into fast paced over the top, then just the whole Capcom vs series up until Marvel vs Capcom: Clash of Superheroes, Marvel vs capcom 2 is also good, but it has a lot of flaws, and Marvel vs Capcom 3 is just Shit IMO.
also: Guilty Gear XX A core Plus if you into more technical fighters.
>>
File: 487px-104.jpg (42KB, 487x480px) Image search: [Google]
487px-104.jpg
42KB, 487x480px
>>2867750
Well I'm Italian American and love KoF
Although I am a salt water nigger.
>>
>>2867820
>there's only 3 attack buttons plus a "Stand" button.
What kind of criticism is that? Virtua Fighter has only three buttons and one of those is Guard.
Melty Blood has three buttons and fourth for shield.
BlazBlue is three buttons and button for character specific gimmick.
And the list could go on. Having less than 6 buttons is not a detriment for a fighting game.
>>
>>2868174
>XII and XIII don't even feel like KoF to me at this point. Doesn't help that the art style is so awful. KoF looks really weird with everyone made to be that cartoony.
It's funny how I heard this a lot about the style of XII and XIII sprites, before the first trailers for XIV came out.
But now those things are a national treasure that should be reused and milked for at least a decade.
>>
>>2868190
>liking the worst and most imbalanced street fighter
figured 4chan would have shit taste
>>
>>2867727
>JoJo

mah nigga. I like playing as Kakyoin and Iggy a lot.
>>
File: top682.jpg (111KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
top682.jpg
111KB, 600x800px
>>2868470
You won't be hearing that from me! I also don't like the look of what I've seen from the XIV trailers, but I do think it looks better than the sprites in XIII.

The quality of the animation is good, but the cartoony look really doesn't suit King of Fighters very well. Falcoon's style looked good as fanart, I was even okay with it as portraits. But when in game I don't like it at all.

The 3D stuff they've shown looks goofy, but at least it's proportioned well and 3D is much easier to make alternate skins for so I'm hopeful for alt costumes that look more traditional.
>>
>>2868472
Alpha 3 isn't as unbalanced as most of their vs games. Unless you were talking about Garou in which case you're just retarded. Even though it's basically KoF baby edition with it's tiny roster and super simple move inputs.
>>
>>2868481
the versus games aren't considered real street fighters, nigga
>>
>>2868484
Ahh. I glossed over the street fighter specific part. As the regular series goes you're right.
>>
Night Warriors
>>
Breaker's Revenge is definitely not the best but it's the most fun to play imo
>>
>>2867727
That Neo Geo one, Garou, Mark Of The Wolf.

Just a damn good fighter and I already knew the special moves from playing Samurai Shodown. Which is the second best fighter ever.

I don't even want all my quarters back. I could have bought a Neo Geo with what I spent $5 at a time on the damn multi-play Neo Geo machines at the arcades.

I am old enough to remember when there were shitloads of arcades and they were awesome. My cousin was in the Marines with a guy who owned an amusement park and we'd go there all the time, and the based Marine would give my sister and I one of those huge big-gulp soda cups full of tokens for free.

But I still spent money at other arcades. Still my endless token supply allowed me to sample pretty much every arcade fighter (dude was a big fan himself, would import Jap games and everything) and the Neo Geo games were probably the best.

Street Fighter was OK too though.
>>
>>2868595
Breakers Revenge is way too much fun.
Jam-packed with dumb shit, but it flows like melted butter.
>>
>all these Garou hipsters
>>
>>2870074
>hipster
>garou
nigga
>>
>>2870074
What does that statement even mean?
>>
>>2867750
I bet you're the kind of pleb who mains Ken Masters.
>>
>>2870198
Claw master race
>>
>>2867746

for game balance and awesome backgrounds 98, also 2k2 and i really like XI
>>
>>2867727
killer instinct
>>
File: hol-portrait.gif (13KB, 318x204px) Image search: [Google]
hol-portrait.gif
13KB, 318x204px
you see, my stand is the gun
>>
>>2870083
To a lot of people, anything that isn't Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat is hipster.
>>
>>2867745
this
>>
File: 1425862050_maxresdefault.jpg (128KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1425862050_maxresdefault.jpg
128KB, 1280x720px
This and Garou. Samsho2 has the best art style.
>>
I like playing as Jojo characters in Mugen
>>
>>2867741
This game needs a Sonic the Fighters type remake tbqh
>>
File: breakrev.png (48KB, 222x315px) Image search: [Google]
breakrev.png
48KB, 222x315px
It's a clone of SSFT but much more fun.

Condor master race
>>
Soul Calibur 2, but for the sake of /vr/ I'd have to go with Mortal Kombat II
>>
>>2873956
i dont get why people call it a super turbo clone

>>2874425
sc2 came out on dreamcast you're aight
>>
>>2874742
>sc2 came out on dreamcast you're aight

No it didn't.
>>
>>2874742
>sc2 came out on dreamcast
I wish it did anon, but it didn't.
>>
>>2867763
>Is there any special shit I should know before heading into these games?
Just play the goddamn game. It's not like you're going to fucking die or every copy of the game will disappear forever if you miss something the first time around.
>>
>>2874754
>being so retro you forget that soul calibur was #1 not soul blade #2
>>
>>2874425
Soul Calibur was the most busted piece of shit fighting game out there once you figured out the fuzzy guard that defends against almost everything in the game.

Same with Smackdown 2.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.