[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My first 3D console was an N64 and a copy of Ocarina of Time,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

File: 1450613739241.png (66KB, 800x831px) Image search: [Google]
1450613739241.png
66KB, 800x831px
My first 3D console was an N64 and a copy of Ocarina of Time, yet I admit its library was infinitely inferior to the PS1

Why can't other N64 bros admit it?
>>
>Why can't other N64 bros admit it?

I don't think anybody on /vr/ is contesting that the N64 had a smaller library. That's beside the point, though. People enjoy the platform for the quality of games available for it. I've also felt it worthwhile to invest in a WonderSwan Color, even though it has comparatively much fewer games than the GBA. There's no other way for me to play the Makai Toushi SaGa remake. Plus I did think the WSC remakes of FF1 and 2 were much more solid than their GBA counterparts.

Anyway, I owned both an N64 and a PS1 at some point during my youth, so both have a lot of nostalgia for me. N64 mostly for Ocarina of Time and Smash Bros., and PS1 for RPGs.
>>
Arguing that a library is inferior is a completely pointless exercise. If my favorite games of all time were Super Mario 64 and OoT, then the N64's library would be superior to the PS's.
>>
PS1 had a bigger and better library but it's hard not to admit that the N64 had a disproportionately large number of influential games.
>>
>>2866040
because they are
a) nintenshills
or
b) butthurt autists
>>
>>2866069
Subjectively but not objectively

How can anybody deny that PS1>Saturn>N64?
>>
>>2866086
Well, sure, an objective measure would be sales or raw quantity. Beyond that any evaluation of library is subjective.
>>
Just nuke this thread and the entire board.
>>
File: 55e7feec90f1f8867e8b4586_o.png (15KB, 477x539px) Image search: [Google]
55e7feec90f1f8867e8b4586_o.png
15KB, 477x539px
>>2866093
>Well, sure, an objective measure would be sales or raw quantity of CRTs in 2015. Beyond that any evaluation of CRT TVs is subjective.
>>
Considering this console generation lasted about six years, was it really so uncommon to get both? If you get the "wrong console" just get the other one for Christmas the next year like a normal kid. I had both and enjoyed both.
>>
>>2866040

I tried PS1 and though the games on it were pretty shit that tried to ape Nintendo classics. There is not a single game I want to play on it.

I`ll take N64 library over PS1 library any day.
>>
>>2866086
I'm going to deny this and say Saturn>PS1>Dreamcast>n64

And part of ops image is right, I could remember the name of the n64 games I used to have, and I only had 3, while I could remember every single one of my 50 psx games.
>>
>>2866094

Cowardly.
>>
>>2866040

I had (and still have) an N64 and a PS1 and the N64 was taken out and connected far far FAR more often. So yeah, its library is smaller but even though I had the alternative I loved its games so much that these less games got far more played.
That is also partially thanks to the hardware properties and Nintendo's choice to stay at cartridges, I didn't really like the CDs that much, seemed flimsy, and the whole lot of moving parts made me always feel less confident in the system, putting the disc in, then waiting for it to spin up and then hearing the laser movements always made me wondering how long this will work properly. And then there were the loading times, god these were annoying in comparison. I much preferred the handling off my N64, grabbing the cart, just sliding it in, power on and play pretty much instantly. Nintendo often gets shunned for the decision to use carts with the N64 but as you can see it indeed had its planned positive influence, the lack of loading times was felt as a HUGE pro point for me back then and I loved the durable pretty much undamageable looking carts.
That said I of course also played the PS1 a lot, especially since my favourite game of all was on that system in its best version.
>>
>>2866074
>>2866110
These

In spite of the difference in library size Nintendo was still producing the most A+ titles that generation. At the end of the day all the classic PS1 games in OP's pic still don't have shit on Mario 64 and Zelda. When you have to put Crash Bandicoot and Spyro on a list of the PS1's very best you know you're scrambling for good titles.
>>
>>2866110
I think both libraries are fundamental and essential to a true gamer. Anyone who claims different isn't a true gamer.
>Mario 64, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros, Golden Eye, Majoras Mask, Ocarina of Time, Pokemon Stadium, Pokemon Snap and more.
>Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VIII, Final Fantasy IX, Resident Evil , Resident Evil 2, Metal Gear, Tekken, Tomb Raider and more.
>>
>>2866143
>true gamer
condescending bullshit
>>
>>2866040
What I've noticed about the two fan bases is that N64 fans liked action based games more, while PSX fans liked (no offense) RPGs and similar games more (games with grinding, exploration, optional content, etc).

So almost every PSX owner's top 10 list looks something like this:

>MGS
>FFVII
>SOTN
>RE2
>Tekken 3
>GT2
>GTA2
>Crash Bandicoot 2
>Spyro
>Xenogears
(not exact, but you get the point. basically a bunch of drawn out games that focus on content over gameplay, and a few games that break that mold)

and the average N64 fan's top 10 was like this:

>Mario 64
>Banjo
>Banjo tooie
>Conquer
>Goldeneye
>Perfect Dark
>OoT
>Majora's Mask
>F-Zero X
>turok
(once again, not exact for everyone, but generally a bunch of gameplay driven games, with a few that aren't)

So the PSX owners were more into building up characters, exploring, getting 110% on a simple platformer, plot and etc, while N64 fans were all about fun gameplay, but often couldn't care less if a single play through lasted 80 hours or not.

Personally, I'd much rather sneak up on guys and break their necks, in between boss battles and long ass scenes in MGS than do a round of Goldeneye MP, but that's ME. N64 fans generally felt differently. And the two groups will argue about it endlessly, because they don't understand each other

Interesting to note is that this attitude of "gameplay above all else" has shaped modern gamers, and now we gave games like Rainbow six siege directly because of that.

But then again, it's literally because of Sony fans that we have game like The Last of Us. So I'm not trying to blame 100% of modern gaming on Nintendo fanboys.

Especially interesting though, is that modern Nintendo consoles just barely attract the same kind of gamers as they did in the N64 days, and actually most of those people now have Xbones or gaming PCs. While 90% of Nintendo's modern user base are literally nostalgiafags and their children.

But that's another topic for another time, I suppose.
>>
>>2866148
>modern Nintendo consoles just barely attract the same kind of gamers as they did in the N64 days, and actually most of those people now have Xbones

This is fairly true. I think that the original Xbox stole a lot of the N64's audience (particularly the FPS audience). Those who wanted the best graphics, and four-player action games, continued to be allergic to Sony and thought that the Gamecube was too kiddy.

It kept those users in the 360 and Xbone, and Nintendo still hasn't got them back.

Remember, the N64 was a pretty big flop everywhere in the world except America and (oddly) Australia. Which turned out to be Xbox strongholds later on.
>>
>>2866136
>At the end of the day all the classic PS1 games in OP's pic still don't have shit on Mario 64 and Zelda.
From a technical standpoint, most definitely. From a gameplay standpoint, that's debatable.
>>
>>2866146
but it's the truth. this thread is irrelevant and should be ignored, because its an acknowledged fact that both are essential. this discussion is futile, have fun kiddies, trolls and autists.
>>
>>2866148
You're right, I preffer RPGs and that's why for me the best consoles will always be the SNES, the PS1 and the PS2.

Funny enough, like you said, Nintendo consoles, at least DS and 3DS are all about RPGs pretty much.
>>
>>2866201
>Nintendo consoles, at least DS and 3DS are all about RPGs pretty much
A small fraction of my DS collection is RPGs. If you play them so much, that's your issue. It's not representative for the system
>>
>>2866040
Putting aside the sadness I get from this board having constant low quality v tier bait lately (actually about 5 months until now i'd say), did the Dreamcast really get more games than the N64 and Gamecube?

On the other hand, OP, why do you care and why is that (the questions in your post) preventing you to enjoy retro videogames?
>>
>>2866204
Yeah, the Dreamcast did get quite a lot more games than the N64, but the NGC beats it by a bit.
>>
>>2866204
>did the Dreamcast really get more games than the N64

Yes, but that's mostly because
1) The Dreamcast shared hardware with the NAOMI arcade system, so ports were "free"
2) It had huge development support in Japanese-only releases after the big success of the Saturn over there (which didn't end up with any mileage for the console in the end)
>>
>>2866207
that's not what the image is saying
>>
>>2866136
>all those classics
>Mario,Zelda and uhhhh

N64 drones everybody
>>
>>2866096
But CRT TVs are inherently inferior to modern HD TVs. They just happen to be superior when it comes to playing games that were specifically designed to be played on a CRT. Being able to fill a niche does not make a device superior.
>>
>it's a console wars episode

Changing the channel
>>
>>2866040
>quantity the library dictates quality of the library
go shitpost elsewhere kiddo, like >>>/v/
>>
File: goemonc.jpg (39KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
goemonc.jpg
39KB, 450x300px
My first 3D console was the 3DO, followed by a PS1, and then some time after I got a N64 in 1996, yet I admit its library wasn't as bad as ignorant people on the internet make it out to be. In fact it has many of my favorite 5th gen games.

Why can't other anti-Nintendofags admit it?
>>
Anyone else feel that as some of the first 3D home consoles, both n64 and ps1 don't really hold up today. I mean, the games were extremely well designed within the limitations of the consoles but I feel like gameplay-wise most big titles cant keep me interested. As an example, tried playing goldeneye the other day and the frame rate was awful, auto aim did all the work for me, ai was boring and stupid. Also I feel like these first 3D consoles started the trend of "cinematic" gaming which I hate, where most games were meant to blow you away graphically while sacrificing elements of gameplay like frame rate, of course there were exceptions for the 3d systems, but I feel most games suffered from this. Compared to a console like the snes, where most games ran and played amazingly, with only a few exceptions that sacrificed gameplay for shiny graphics, like the first starfox which ran like shit.
>>
>>2866369
>I feel like these first 3D consoles started the trend of "cinematic" gaming
Go look at 2D RPGs. Long drawn out cutscenes, very little or grindy gameplay in between, highly linear narrative and predefined characters. 3D did not start cinematic gaming, the mechanics just shifted from RPG mechanics to action mechanics.
>>
>>2866369
>auto aim did all the work for me

Try not playing on Agent mode
>>
Who cares when computers are obviously better?
>>
>console wars on /vr/

Yes because having threads on /vr/ that are the exact same thing that made /v/ so shitty is a wonderful idea
>>
File: 20k1tmo.gif (522KB, 284x238px) Image search: [Google]
20k1tmo.gif
522KB, 284x238px
>>2866478
k
>>
>>2866086
What objective measure are you using? Quantity only?
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.