[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Marathon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: 2020-marathon-002-pvlut.jpg (144KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
2020-marathon-002-pvlut.jpg
144KB, 1024x768px
Anyone here play Marathon?

One of Bungie's better games/series I think, I love the interaction with the different AI personalities and the sometimes eerie levels due to the lack of soundtrack.

What's your favourite game of the series?
>>
it's been a longass time.
i can remember a hugely frustrating level where you mapped out a maze while running out of air and dying over and over and over, and another level where it implied you were looking for a hidden door to win the level but you actually had to mash your face right up against an underwater window.

that shit annoyed the hell out of me.
>>
>Implying Marathon> anything
>>
Marathon was fantastic, but I couldn't get into Durandal and never tried Infinity because of the lack of soundtrack, it just killed it for me, especially after how good the Marathon soundtrack was
>>
>>2864782
Marathon 2: Durandal was the game that really got me into gaming, and still an all-time favorite. The lack of soundtrack was intentional; they wanted to play up the ambiance by having a lot of random noises throughout the levels (water dripping, cannons firing in the distance, animal noises, etc).

I love the other two as well, but I think they fall short of Durandal in a couple ways. The original gets a bit silly with some of the levels, how they can be constructed around jumping and switch puzzles, but the atmosphere is really dark and it comes off as understated and tasteful compared to most other AI/sci-fi stories. Infinity tried to mix the original with the more epic scope of Durandal and has some excellent levels, but there are also some awful ideas (two vacuum levels back-to-back for example) and the story becomes kinda nonsense (or just 2deep4me) by the end.

I highly recommend playing Rubicon as well, a very complete total conversion. Tempus Irae was the shit too back in the day, even though it's a little silly (Marathon dude dropped into Renaissance-era Italy to assemble fragments of a lost DaVinci invention to prevent a time collapse or something like that).
>>
>>2864782
>What's your favourite game of the series?

Marathon 1.

M2 was a good sequel.

Infinity basically turned the series into "Zelda Timeline theories ca. 2001: the game".
>>
>>2866627
butthurt doombaby spotted

Marathon 2 is the best FPS of the '90s
>>
The brilliant thing about Marathon was that Bungie knew they were making another Doom clone, so they decided to dump a lot more time into narrative. Your not the main character. Durandal is. You just happen to be dangerous enough for him to use you as a walking, breathing surgical strike missile. it's pretty cool. That, and pretty nice visuals made for an above average game.
>>
I really thought the absence of a soundtrack in durandal gave the levels a really nice atmosphere
almost relaxing watching non-narrated lets play videos now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz34Tdc3nuk&list=PL1C7AC43A79A47D73
>>
>>2869570
I thought the visuals were all over the place: Semi-realistic textures vs cartoonish monsters.
>>
File: Marathon_network_game.gif (120KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Marathon_network_game.gif
120KB, 640x480px
>>2869674
Depends partly on the monster, but I don't think they all looked cartoonish. Something like pic related shows how Bobs were usually bright, but the basic Pfhor colors were a little more dull, and then dudes like the Hunters and misc (suicide roaches and wasps) were fairly grey/brown with the usually dreary and dark levels. Also, make sure you're using the original textures and enemy designs, not the Aleph One or (god forbid) the remade Marathon 2 ones.
>>
I downloaded the original off of Bungie's website about 7 years ago, I played it from start to finish and loved almost everything about it. I then bought Marathon 2: Durandal off xbox live, but the lack of soundtrack and one particular VERY frustrating level made me ditch the game.
>>
>>2871019
yeah I got 2 off xbox live as well, though I first played it through with these guys who knew what they were doing so I breezed through the levels. I remember there was a lot of really cryptic shit though

don't think I would have the patience to do it again without help
>>
>>2865512
The reason why I dropped it.

I think I have to resort to marathon spoiler site.
>>
One of the best written FPS's of all time.
>>
>>2865512
yeah g-4 sunbathing is shit...hell, marathons level design in general is shit.

literally all this game has going for it is the writing and looking up and down...and since zdoom exists, literally all of its tech advantages vanish.
>>
I played a lot of Marathon on my dad's Motorola Power Mac back when I was 8-9 in the late 90s.

Honestly don't remember much about it, tried downloading the Aelph source port a few years ago and oddly enough it made me motion sick.
>>
>>2870873
>using a flamethrower in a hunter
fucking spazeroids
>>
>>2869367

One week later, you're thread is still dead.
>>
Way better than DOOM that's for sure.
>>
Does this game has mods and custom maps like Doom?
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.