[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/vr/ stories that are overrated/underrated in hindsight

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

File: tumblr_inline_ml5q5gJDJr1qz4rgp.jpg (36KB, 500x268px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_ml5q5gJDJr1qz4rgp.jpg
36KB, 500x268px
Overrated:

FFT - What if war was fought by a blond Mary Sue with plot twists by those who never played Tactics Ogre and an ending that completely removed the ramifications of war and would be inexcusable for an /a/ ending

Baldur's Gate series - epic beginning that ends up being a chase for a boss that left MC behind and a sequel that left most of the interesting questions on the downfall of a party out of the player's hands and just hand waves it in the beginning as evil mage = bad ass, oh and ass pull story power creep where game becomes about the unlikely rise to power about guy with comedic companions /did not finish playing

Suikoden 2 - politics and betrayal potential ruined by buddy buddy ending cheapening everything in war

Xenogears - Freudian plot potential ruined by hand waved second arc that just shoe horns love interests in

Silent Hill/Clock Tower/Resident Evil - Horror Game that only makes sense if characters were Mary Sue not in terms of combat but being a magnet for a plot device monster

Underrated:

FF8 - What if Squall died theory existential dream theory

Shin Megami Tensei series - three way morality choice that leads to a real face off against a god like being with Ass Pull system that at least explains why the MC can reach that point at all in the end

Saga series - actually has the guts to tell adventures where companions don't stay in one place. More organic than Suikoden/Baldur's Gate and immediately gives players choices on who to choose

Tales of Destiny - surprise Leon ending if initially defeated only

X-com series - companion loyalty simulator

Lunar series - actual implications for hero prototypes getting old

Hell Night - Horror game where MC is not Mary Sue exception while also being Mary Sue

Romance of the Three Kingdoms series - MCs are actually possible to be grunts in war if wrong tactics or stupid decisions are made. VI actually shows events have to align for history to actually repeat itself and nobody is a CRPG/JRPG hero
>>
>>2864574
What's Mary Sue about Ramza exactly?
>>
File: 1449554668618.gif (3MB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
1449554668618.gif
3MB, 480x320px
>>2864586

>Horror Game that only makes sense if characters were Mary Sue not in terms of combat but being a magnet for a plot device monster

What the fuck am I reading? Do you even know what Mary Sue means?
>>
>>2864593

Meant to quote OP, im still laughing though holy shit.
>>
Overrated:

FF VI - Skips most interesting part in the beginning in order to not reveal waifu hidden power and throws everything away in 2nd arc for map change disguised as plot twist potential

Fallout series - 2 is basically 1 disguised with more choices and ass pull about hidden village with Mary Sue super powered explorer. Never really ups the stakes for MC besides CRPG initial weak creep.

Fire Emblem - does not have a system like FEMA emblem of justice to show vulnerability of special characters

Breath of Fire - include everything wrong with FF plots but replaced with a dragon plot that everyone sees coming because well...JRPG gimmick

Phantasy Star series except 3 - fantasy tech stories that don't go anywhere cause, unlike 3, the threat has to be solved in one generation

Underrated:

7th Saga - First real simulator of antagonist chasing against protagonist organically until Depths of Peril i.e. adapting to player choices

FF II - Only FF where the stakes are immediately high cause everybody is being killed

Front Mission 1 and 3 - the JRPG anti-Fall-out. Lack of choices is replaced by real threats where exploring outside one's world view comfort zone leads to being forced to adapt and stealthily talk with the world instead of being handed out quests.

Brigandine - closest thing to a real plot about oligarchy mixed with rulers with actual different intentions even for a JRPG/SRPG

Jade Cocoon - The SW Originals of Pokemon Clones
>>
>>2864574
This has to be the widest net cast in a B8 post I've seen in some time.
>>
Spoiler if I have to explain why the MC in Hell Night is a Mary Sue. You just have to get to the end.

Ramza is Mary Sue cause SquareSoft but compare him to other FF protagonist.

1. He is in the mix of a conspiracy and yet is never assassinated in closed quarters and always happen to be in an open surrounding where his friends can help. It's a SRPG but every plot that requires some betrayal just happens to have him away from the map. Even the ThunderGod was closer to being "Jedi Clone Wars surrounded" and if not for Wiegraf you would never realize he is ever close to an inch in being killed.

2. Wiegraf fight should have killed him. There was no ass pull plot and is only forgiven for being there as a challenge but seriously at what point should he realistically survive a fight like that?

3. Count how many guests he actually meets whenever he is in danger and then count how many times gameplay forces him to save such guests. His MO is literally:

1. Be in bad odds
2. Be in good company
3. Find helper when in bad company
4. Ends up saving helper instead of helper saving him cause SRPG gameplay

Even his base class makes him to be special lower class class. That's his character growth. Never learns new guerilla skills. Never learns new ways to be king. Never even learns to be more cynical about the world.

...and yet survives until the end.
>>
>>2864610
That's not what a Mary Sue is. You just described the main character in literally every adventure story ever written from the most ancient to the most recent and the most in depth and talented to the most vapid and superficial.
You have no idea what a Mary Sue is.

>odysseus is now a mary sue
>rama and sita are both now mary sues
>jesus is now a mary sue (b-but he dies!!!) lolno, he had a 1-up and then put in the konami-code to unlock god-mode
>harry motherfucking potter is now a mary sue

Yeah.
>>
File: tmp_31992-logh50-76352103.jpg (67KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_31992-logh50-76352103.jpg
67KB, 640x480px
>>2864574
>What if war was fought by a blond Mary Sue

You got a problem with that?
>>
>>2864625

Not in Tactics Ogre among many other JRPGS and yes early texts had tons of powerful beings but that is the point...they are powerful.

A Mary Sue is someone who is not supposed to be Jesus unless he was the Son of God. Ramza is not the Son of God but he literally has the same ending including the wtf fanbase of did he really survive or was it all just an illusion.

For an example of a SquareSoft game where the main character is so far from Ramza look at Saga Frontier characters and Live a Live.

At no point were the characters in good company when in bad odds at all. Even the guy given the sentai ass pull needs helpers that help him instead of being saved by him cause tragedy and misfortune...not the round the trip tour as a rebel that is Ramza. Even that DBZ rpg had a secret final boss that shows things can screw up if you adventure and make a mistake.

Oh yeah, wars fought by Mary Sues are totally overrated. It's like making up a Gundam Story and removing the Gundam so that one reason for why MC is being a naive jerk face is totally removed and MC can just twilight their way by spouting their mumbo jumbo and even twilights have their power of love where as Ramza just have the power of climbing up slums while being outpositioned and facing against /a/ level gods without even an /a/ level power up. Definitely Mary Sue.

Oh and as much as he's hated, Mr Harry MotherFucking Potter never outsaved Hermione except MC has to and had to venture alone more than once in uncharted territory. Mr. Ramza MotherFucking Beolve managed to start off being random guy forced into a mission and still ends up being random guy forced into a mission with no character growth except /m/ level protagonist whining.
>>
Adding "Mary Sue" to filter.
>>
File: IDTIMWYTIM.jpg (5KB, 241x209px) Image search: [Google]
IDTIMWYTIM.jpg
5KB, 241x209px
>>2864714
I'm trying to wrap my head around your nonsensical blathering. Give me a minute to try to understand how you could be this disconnected from what "Mary Sue" means.

Not saying that Ramza had any character growth (he didn't), or that he beat the odds and came to the rescue (he did), but neither of these qualities define a Mary Sue.
So I stand by my original assertion.
>>
>>2864597

Yeah Fallout 2 kinda sucks, they also shoved in a lot of wacky zany jokez and references
>>
overrated: chrono generic save the world trigger
>>
>>2864574
>FF8 - What if Squall died theory existential dream theory

You mean that theory that's been resoundingly disproven?
>>
Literally every FF game. Not a single one has a story that could seriously be considered good.
>>
>>2865257
I dunno. I was rather captivated by FF10's
>>
>>2864610
What the fuck did I just read?

>Every betrayal just happens to have him away from the map.

Sure, FFT is a bit over rated story wise mainly because you're only observing the war plot from the outside, while Ramza basically goes to fight for the greater good of the world and destroying the Lucavi. He is not directly involved in the main story at all. Outside of trying to convince Zalbag and Dycedarg to end the war in like the beginning of fucking chapter 3. After chapter 2 he is almost completely disconnected from the events of the war. The Lucavi and Shrine Knights are Ramza's main focus.

>Wiegraf fight should have killed him

Why?

In case you hadn't noticed, Ramza is a complete fucking badass the entirety of the game. He murders fucking way more experienced knights and wizards as a fucking cadet. Then he goes off for X number of years fighting as a mercenary and eventually duels Gafgarion who is way more fucking experienced, and fights god damn demon's.

What part of all this shit did you miss?

>>2864714
>Ramza has the Jesus ending
He just so happens to be the descendent of the guy who originally took out Altima. You could argue its fate, or whatever, but I think it's just that Balbanes and his family line have a strong sense of justice and doing the right thing. That is pretty much the entirety of the plot point of Ramza's story. He goes and fights the Lucavi because -it needs to be done-. He's not doing it for glory, or for fame, or self fulfillment, he's doing it because it just needs to happen.

The fact that he ends up being branded as a heretic and condemned, but forgotten because everyone thinks he died is somehow akin to Jesus? Are you fucking for real?

Ramza just got more of what he did the entirety of FFT. He got to live his life in the background, presumably peacefully.

You're a fucking idiot, straight up bro.

>whenever he is in danger
>>
File: fresh out.jpg (25KB, 429x491px) Image search: [Google]
fresh out.jpg
25KB, 429x491px
>>2864574
>Silent Hill
>Over rated because the characters are magnet's for a plot device monster
>"I don't know how Silent Hill works"

>FF8 Squall's Dead Theory
>Theory isn't even consistent with itself,.
>Theory has more holes then swiss cheese
>FF8 actually foreshadows a ton of stuff in the plot, but people just disregard it as being bad when they don't pay attention

The only one I agree with is Xenogears.

>Mary Sue
>Mary Sue
>Mary Sue
>MARY SUE
>>
>>2864597
>Image by Romulation

Get your shitty ROM sites out of here, faglord.
>>
>>2864574
>Suikoden 2 - politics and betrayal potential ruined by buddy buddy ending cheapening everything in war
Just get the badend, tumblrfag.
>>
>>2865191
Chrono reminds me of that VA Tech mass shooter.
>>
>>2864574
It seriously saddens me that there are people medrioce enough out there to waste time of their lives by posting stuff like this.
>>
>>2864574
>>2864610
>>2864714

Stop playing videogames and start reading books, kiddo.
>>
>Silent Hill/Clock Tower/Resident Evil - Horror Game that only makes sense if characters were Mary Sue not in terms of combat but being a magnet for a plot device monster

OK, I've read this line a few times and still have no idea what you're trying to say. I'm not that familiar with the Clock Tower story, but are you saying that if the main character lives and is pursued by a villain they are a Mary Sue? Then that means almost literally every hero is now a Mary Sue. And besides, in RE, the main heroes were just part of a team and happened to be the ones who lived. So either the majority of the good guys would've had to have lived or everyone (including Jill and Chris) would've needed to die for Jill and Chris to not be Mary Sues?
>>
>>2866596
>>2866593
The only thing he could ever get on school tests is a drool stain. Reading books or teaching him what a Mary Sue is won't fix that. You can't fix stupid.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.