[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Turbografx General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 12

File: JohnnyTurbo.jpg (91KB, 274x294px) Image search: [Google]
JohnnyTurbo.jpg
91KB, 274x294px
Great system. Anybody ever own one? Or a PC Engine?
>>
File: feeder-crickets-for-sale-2.jpg (58KB, 425x282px) Image search: [Google]
feeder-crickets-for-sale-2.jpg
58KB, 425x282px
*chirp chirp chirp*
>>
>>2863729
Well, that pretty much answers your question.
>>
I owned a Turbo Express as a kid and had around forty games for it when I sold it in the later mid-90s because I discovered Magic Engine. I liked it when I had it, at least.
>>
>>2863764
It's late at night for most of us Europeans and we are all out getting drunk because it's Friday. Give me a few minutes op and I will post some of my games and my system.
>>
Didn't start collecting PC Engine games until a year or two ago but it's already my second favorite system of that generation just behind the Mega Drive.

It really reminds me of the Saturn in a lot of ways, it's library is almost entirely Japan only and there's a shitload of shmups.

It was always the mysterious other console I used to read about in magazines as a kid, about how it was kicking Nintendo and SEGA's asses in Japan.
>>
>>2863729
I didn't own one when they were new, but I got a TG-16 in high school in the mid 90's. only had Keith Courage and the first 2 Bonk games.
>>
I had a TurboDuo when I was in college.
Came with some good stuff (Ys 1&2, Gate of Thunder, Bonk, Bomberman).
Later got Last Alert, Cosmic Fantasy 2, Exile, Vasteel, and Shapeshifter (underrated gem), and borrowed Loom from some rich kid who also had a TurboExpress..
>>
>>2863729
I own a pc engine duo rx. Fun shit, any game recommendations?
I have played:
Valis
Bonk games
Rondo
>>
>>2864278
I burn discs, and have the turbo ed so yeah.
>>
Of course we have Turbos and PC Engines. It's actually an area where I feel my collection is pretty weak since all I have is a TG-16 with no CD.

We oldfags haven't COMPLETELY abandoned /vr/ yet... have we?
>>
>>2863729
Huge fan of the system, but now I just play it in emulation.
>>
>>2864326
>We oldfags haven't COMPLETELY abandoned /vr/ yet... have we?
I think it's just that we've already talked about it enough. New PCE threads only serve the youngsters nowadays.
>>
>>2863729
i have a pc engine with toilet kids!
>>
>>2864278
Definitely try the Legendary Axe games, and Parasol Stars
>>
>>2864420
Have tried both, anything like legendary axe?
>>
>dad gave TurboExpress and Game Gear away to ungrateful little shits in the neighborhood

I miss Splatterhouse
>>
>>2864535
Not really

Try Momotaro Katsugeki though. It's basically a non-crappy Keith Courage

It's only in Japanese, but you can get through the game by only buying sword and armor upgrades

Aoi Blink is also Mario World + Wonder Boy
>>
I want Johnny Turbo to have my babies.
>>
>>2863773
Test
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2863729
Alright homies feast your eyes on my turbo grafx 16 in all its glory.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2865379
Here's a few games i have in my basement. After wifely hits the bed I will show my upstairs collection.
>>
>>2865379
I never did play Dungeon Explorer but it looked like it would be fun multi-player.
>>
>>2865391
Guy who posted the pic here.

It's pretty fun. Regular controller isn't very precise for hitting diagonals but if you have the arcade stick it's pretty awesome. And with 2 or more other friends it is fun as fuck. Gets a little crowded in tight levels but still fun as fuck. One weird thing I noticed people don't talk about, is if You don't use under scan on your tv, you loose a few lines of graphics on the top and bottom of the screen. Not sure if that's just because I play on a Pvm or what, but it's something I noticed.
>>
File: 1263350325747.jpg (19KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1263350325747.jpg
19KB, 320x240px
>TFW youre one of the few people in the world who bothered to beat Sherlock Holmes vol. 1 and 2
>>
File: fellow_kids_steve_buscemi.gif (1MB, 500x225px) Image search: [Google]
fellow_kids_steve_buscemi.gif
1MB, 500x225px
>>2863729
>>2864271
>Dat sideway baseball cap
>"Hey gamers!" and "Kids!!"
>>
File: 1382740611515.jpg (184KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1382740611515.jpg
184KB, 1600x1200px
I didn't know the Turbografx was a thing until 5 or so years ago.

How were HuCards/Turbochips as a format compared to carts? If they're anything like Sega's SMS cards I can't imagine they were all that good.
>>
>>2863729
Turbo Duo owner here. Got it in 93 and it just recently died (caps are probably wrecked).
Really loved that system, nothing define comfy more than playing Ys 1 and 2 on a winter morning.
>>
>>2865518
They were ineffectual compared to carts, that's why the CD addon was made.
>>
>>2864860
I actually got that momotaro game with my PC engine so I've played that, actually it's pretty good
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
feast your eyes folks
>>
>>2865532
Good luck getting it recapped.
>>
>>2865523
The PC Engine was made with CD-ROMs in mind. The CD-ROM add-on was made since it was cheaper to sell it separately.
>>
>>2865536
Already was recapped upon purchase, actually the recap was free, so was the laser replacement and the gear lube and replacement.

So rekt
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2865536
>several mentions of caps in a thread solely about showing turbo systems

This meme needs to die. I known 4 other guys who still have their turbos like me and none of us have needed a recap or had problems. Post stats of failure rates and site sources if this is such a big thing.
>>
>>2865601
It's not. It's one of those things a youtuber mentioned, and now everyone unfamiliar with the system just parrots it, cause muh favorite youtubber said it.
>>
>>2865601
It's only a thing with TurboDuos.
>>
>>2865654
This +1

It's only an issue for the cd rom drives. It starts out with a loss of audio and ends with a blank screen. Failure rates in the cd drives are aweful. Which makes sense. Growing up I had nec cd rom drives on all my first pentium computers and they all failed like retards in an advanced placement class.
>>
>>2865518
The average hucard was 4 mb, with a few games using 6 or 8 mb

Street fighter II CE was 20 mb

Hucards were efficient but some games had repetitive graphics. The music is usually really damn good. The longest platformer is Bonk 3 which is minimum 1.5 hours. Unless you count wonder boy III

The graphics are well above nes quality but not a lot of fancy effects or parallax like Snes or Genesis games

If you want games that show off what the hucard could do, look up

Samurai ghost
Bomberman 94
Soldier blade
Parasol stars
Bonk's revenge
Space harrier
New adventure island
>>
>>2865379
Why is the NA Turbografx so huge compared to the PC Engine and its ilk? I imagine most of the case is just wasted space.
>>
>>2865846
america has to compensate
>>
File: pces.jpg (228KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
pces.jpg
228KB, 640x640px
reporting in

got a Duo R on the way
>>
also i'm pretty sure the capacitor problem is only for the original duos. the R and RX seem to have better luck.
>>
I had the tg16 along with legendary axe, the robot game that came with it, and dungeon explorer. Beat all three games a million times over. I had a choice between the genesis and the tg16 when they came out and chose the tg16. I've kind of regretted ever since.
>>
>>2865869
This
you dipshits stop being dipshit. I repair these things, the only one that have problems are Turbo Duo's and maybe Tg16's. The pc engine counterparts are all fine, especially the Duo R/RX as they will never need their caps replaced.

Stop being fucking autistic.
>>
>>2863729
I purchased the TG16 home console, every game, the Turbo Express with TV adapter, and even the CD-rom add-on when they first came out. My mom then got her credit card bill, and realized I stole it and maxxed it out... and she made me return every game and electronic component to the store, since I was a minor and she didn't authorize the transactions.

I still love the system, and think it was the best for its time. The innovative idea that the same game could be played on the home console as well as the hand-held unit. And that it also had a TV tuner was revolutionary.
>>
File: TG16999666.jpg (48KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
TG16999666.jpg
48KB, 640x480px
I got a TG-16 lot from Ebay a few years ago for a good price, and it came with a motherfucking import converter! This thing alone goes for bank $$$. So now that I became the fucking man I got a bunch of cheap ass Jap Hu-card shooter games and my TG-16 library is off the hook. Plus i'm really smart and figured out how to soft mod the video output to composite without buying that stupid money grab Turbo Booster whatever bullshit.
>>
>>2866763
Didn't know it had a portable and a TV tuner. What's the tuner for???
>>
>>2865846
>>2865851
Wasn't the NES also bulkier than the Famicom?
>>
>>2865417
I wore it sideways when I was 20. Some niglet wearing it backwards laughed at me, and after that I wore it the normiefag way all the way till now.
>>
>>2867751
I'm >>2863771
I also had a TV tuner.
The portable was called Turbo Express. The TV tuner fits into the card slot and had an antenna to catch TV frequencies over the air and display them on the Turbo Express' screen. It had a dial to tune it to the station you wanted. It was relatively useless because the picture quality was complete and utter shit.
>>
>>2865412
source of image? google isn't turning anything up.
>>
>>2867754
Immensely more bulky. The Famicom is adorable.
>>
>>2865846
Would have been awesome to take that extra space and build in the multitap. Would have helped big time, especially when bomberman was a pack in.
>>
>>2865519
Hey idiot, only Turbo Duo had cap failures.
>>
>>2866168
You have a site or anything with pricing for new lenses for Duo, cap replacement, ect?
>>
>>2868528
No, I do local for a local gameshop.
You can pick up a new lense on ebay though although it'll be as much as a saturn lense ie 25$ USD+. Cap replacement will be 30$ for the caps + work. Dusting the board, cleaning the shell to new, and refurbing the ports is like a 10$ job.
>>
>>2864278
BLOODY WOLF
>>
Quick question to PC Engine owners: Is the Arcade Card Pro enough to run all Super CDs and Arcade CDs on a regular CD-ROM2 System, or do I still need to get the Super System Card for Super CDs?
>>
>>2870043
Pro version is enough. It plays anything.
>>
>>2870150
So there's no compatibility issues with older CDs and Super CDs then?
>>
I wonder what it was like being the one kid in your neighbourhood with a TurboGrafx, 7800, etc. It must have sucked always hearing your friends talk about those cool games you'd never get to play.
>>
>>2870190
>turbografx
>7800

One is good. The other is not. Wanna guess?
>>
>>2870172
Not really, some games like Altered Beast (maybe the only) work with a certain CD system card version like v1.1
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.