[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Good Turn Based WRPGs?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2

File: therpgdeath_2.jpg (29KB, 400x250px) Image search: [Google]
therpgdeath_2.jpg
29KB, 400x250px
Guys what are some good turn based combat WRPGS?

In style of Paper Mario, Earthbound, Dragon Quest, etc, but not actually JRPG.

What are some great, perhaps different and experimental, turn based combat systems?
I'm very interested in such combat, but I find most JRPGs digusting because of their art and/or story.

Thanks
>>
Baldur's Gate
>>
Wizardry is obviously the prime series for the classic row based combat. In the earlier games there isn't much story or art to worry about either.
>>
Most Infinity Engine games. Planescape is the exception, but you can play the whole thing without fighting anyway.
>>
Thanks for the suggestions, but I meant turn based combat in style of DQ, PM, Cthulu Saves the World, etc. Where each character attacks once and so on. Not in style of BG.
Are there even any such WRPGS?
>>
>>2858729
Why the fuck would you want that garbage when you can play superior semi-turn based games you trucking scrub?
>>
>>2858729
With programming or with direct action?
>>
>>2858695
>>2858713
>Turn-based

>>2858734
Because Baldur's Gate has shit combat?
>>
>>2858734
Turn based can leave room for a lot of strategy. That's why roguelikes are turn based. The complexity doesn't work well in a real time environment.
>>
>>2858748
>>Turn-based

If you knew a single fucking thing about anything you'd know that behind everything they are turn-based.

Turn on dice rolls and watch as attacks are calculated every turn instead of every time your character swings their weapon.

Stupid fucker.
>>
>>2858748
Shittier than dragon ball quest? nah, I don't think so
>>
Might & Magic 3-4-5
>>
>>2858876
okay, upon further reading, I realized that M&M has shit combat

1&2 has row fighting and is the most challenging, but it's also archaic.

you don't play M&M for combat, you play it for earning 1000000s of gold and spending them on training your characters to 120 while fighitng cartoony shit and having a good time munching popcorn

you might want to try Goldbox games then, particularly the Dragonlance series.
>>
>>2858881
1 and 2 don't have real rows. How many of your party are involved in melee depends on the combat situation.
3-5 have a system that strengthens the defense of those further in the back.

The problem isn't the system itself, it's how the encounters are designed.
>>
>>2858902
Oh, thanks for being straight with me on it.

Main point is M&M1-2 is ever so slightly more tactical than the other games in the Corak vs Sheltem series.
>>
>>2858692
It sounds like you just want JRPG-styled western games for some reason, so just play Anachronox and get it over with.
>>
>>2858914
>you just want jRPG-styled western games
>jRPGs emerged from wRPGs
>>
>>2858919
I'm well aware of that. What are you even implying?

That's besides the point. From what I'm getting from this thread, OP doesn't actually want turn-based RPGs unless they play like more conventional JRPGs. The first thought that comes to mind is Anachronox.
>>
>>2858920
>That's besides the point. From what I'm getting from this thread, OP doesn't actually want turn-based RPGs unless they play like more conventional JRPGs.

Okay then. I'd recommend Albion to him, myself, personally.
>>
>>2858925
Never played it myself, but from a quick look, I think I see what you're getting at.
>>
>>2858932
It has a nice storyline and some cute art. The first-person dungeons kinda look ugly, but the combat is nice. Solid RPG overall, though I remember some clunky parts to it. I liked it.
>>
File: 610711-920182_20041008_003.jpg (127KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
610711-920182_20041008_003.jpg
127KB, 720x480px
What oldschool Dragonquest/FF style turn based combat would you say is the greatest? Is the most fun to play, is best developed, or has a great skill/combat system?
>>
>>2859105
Nothing.
>>
>>2858948
I don't like the combination of rows and tiles in Amber* and Albion. It makes maneuvering extremely complicated. The targeting is also too limited so you can't order to move into a presently occupied square or anticipate the enemy movement.
Albion itself is a bit simple in regard to stats, linearity and party options and easy on the difficulty.
>>
>>2859105
Probably DQ III.

>>2859108
Much edge.
>>
>>2858692
So basically you want "western JRPGs"? Septerra Core is alright. Has a fairly unusual combat system too.

Also Wizardry because JRPG battle systems are Wizardry battle systems.

>>2859105
FFV or the Romancing SaGas.
>>
>>2858692
Isn't wizardry the grandaddy of DQ/FF (haven't played)?
You might wanna try that
>>
>>2859137
More like Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy are its inbred children with Ultima
>>
>>2858692
>earthbound
>paper mario
>dragon quest
>wrpgs
All of those came from Japan you fucking retard.
>>
>>2859105
I don't know about greatest, but out of the oldschool games I really liked Live A Live, Treasure Of The Rudras, FFV and Romancing SaGa 3
>>
>>2859142
I'm almost pretty sure that's exactly the point.
>>
>>2859140
>Ultima
Thanks for reminding me
OP, get Ultima IV:Quest of the Avatar for the NES
>>
>>2859149
That's a Japanese game. He should get the SMS port or xu4 instead.
Combat in Ultima is rarely great anyway.
>>
Are there any WRPGs with dungeons? I don't consider dungeons as real if you can save anywhere you want. No real time tile based dungeon crawlers please.
>>
>>2859165
I want to say Wizardry but 1-3 save your position with every other step, 4 has multiple save slots and 6 has free saving. All of that can really fuck you over so it's not really a matter of difficulty.
Wizardry 5 is the obvious exception.
>>
>>2859165
Wizardry I-V
>>
>>2859179
>>2859181
Thanks, but that's the obvious one. I'm also aware of Diablo.
>>
>>2859189
I thought I'd get the most obvious out of the way. In Diablo you can save anywhere and it's real time and tile based as well.
Real Roguelikes are another obvious choice.
Ultima 3 could also be mentioned and Might and Magic 1 and 2.

Bard's Tale would be a classic Wizardry style series. Or Mordor/Demise for a modernized version of the concept.
>>
>>2859105
Gotta jump on the SaGa bandwagon when it comes to turn based combat, it's by far the most articulate and satisfying system around, Metal Max is also pretty good.
>>
>>2859212
>In Diablo you can save anywhere
Strange, I must remember it wrong. I thought you only could save the character and equipment and started in the village every time.
>it's real time and tile based as well.
I know, I meant the 1st person real time on a grid. Can't stand it. Thanks for the other suggestions.
>>
>>2859250
>Strange, I must remember it wrong. I thought you only could save the character and equipment and started in the village every time.

That's in multiplayer.
>>
>>2859250
>I thought you only could save the character and equipment and started in the village every time.
In multiplayer and Diablo 2 (which de facto is purely multiplayer) obviously but in single player you could save and reload in the dungeon.
>>
>>2859254
>>2859258
I see, I played it a lot in coop.
>>
It's not retro but Temple of Elemental Evil has the best turn based combat ever made.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.