[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did the Mario RPG flop so badly? It is one of the funnest

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3

Why did the Mario RPG flop so badly? It is one of the funnest games I ever play
>>
released too late
>>
>Why did X flop so badly?
>>
>>2858179
Who said this game flopped badly?
>ITT: people who first played Paper Mario or Mario&Luigi saga
DonĀ“t get me wrong, those games are great too
>>
>>2858179
It didn't flop you fucking faggot. /thread
>>
It wasn't released in Europe.
>>
But it didn't.
>>
>>2858179
shit gameplay, shit art-direction
>>
TTYD was significantly better than that turd.
>>
>>2858327
Your bait isn't even trying.
>>
>>2858179
It wasn't a flop by any definition.
>>
>>2858327
You forgot shit music and poor controls; that would complete your bait collection
>>
>>2858580
not even b8, totally serious.
>>
it didn't flop, it made a fucking ton of cash
If you're wondering why there wasn't a 2nd one it's because square got pissed at nintendo and left with sony over the ultra-64 bullshit, mainly nintendo trying to force them to make a FFvi-2
>>
>>2858625
Well you're proof positive that some people's opinions can be so retarded that it looks like bait to everyone else. Thanks for the kek, friend.
>>
>>2858645
lol
>>
>>2858643
This. People really underestimate how much corporate bullshit gets in the way of things.
>>
>>2858643

If it made so much cash then why wasn't it released in Europe?
I remeber seeing even "coming soon"- previews showing the minecart section in game magazines, so we knew the game existed and pretty much everyone was sure it was coming- but then it never came...
>>
>>2858874
>implying SNES did well in Europe as a general rule

Why burn money to give an unappreciative people something they don't deserve?
>>
>>2859134
they even got the better looking console, how could they ignore the beauty of the Super Famicom?
>>
>>2858874
>If it made so much cash then why wasn't it released in Europe?
The European market having like five different languages made RPGs extremely expensive to get PAL releases. Each different translation and ad campaign adds up.

European releases were usually planned during development and not dependent on games "selling well" in other regions, anyway.
>>
File: ff7_logo_remake_by_and_reese.png (87KB, 900x459px) Image search: [Google]
ff7_logo_remake_by_and_reese.png
87KB, 900x459px
>>2858179
Because as >>2858263 said, it was released too late into the SNES's life cycle. By the time it was released, the N64 was only a couple months away from being released in Japan, so not many people bothered paying attention to yet another SNES Squaresoft RPG, even if it was a Mario game.

After all, why would Square not half-ass the Mario RPG when they were probably going to bring their A-game to the N64 with Final Fantasy IV, right?
>>
>>2858179
>>2858263
The opposite. If it came out after FFVII it would have been more popular.
>>
Also iirc it was $70 when it came out
>>
>>2862982
I think its more than that now.
>>
>>2858179
the fuck is this thread going on about? this game wasn't a flop in the slightest. it didn't do well in the states because RPGs didn't sell well in the states overall back then. but it sold like 1.5 million copies in japan, that's pretty huge.
>>
I really dont understand the appeal of this game. Its just so dull compared to the other Square RPGs of the time, and most successive Mario RPGs are way more fun with way better characters.

Then again, I dont care much for Paper Mario either so maybe its just not my thing. But i'd rather play that series than this poorly aged pile.

Not trolling btw. For real. But Superstar Saga just annihilates it. Take off your nostalgia goggles and it becomes pretty obvious pretty fast.
>>
>>2862992
>of the time
Didnt mean to say that obv, meant our time or some shit. You get it
>>
>>2858179
If two or three people at /vr/ were interested in romhacking this game, Id be totally in. But seems like I'm the only one here.
>>
>>2858580
Some people just really, really hate prerendered stuff. Same with DKC. Not really something to argue about.
>>
>>2859231
>The European market having like five different languages made RPGs extremely expensive to get PAL releases. Each different translation and ad campaign adds up.
I didn't think about that. But yeah, having to support Spanish, French and German is a pretty big overhead for a religionalization project compared to just doing English.
>>
>>2863332
you mean on LazyShell? i could be a mapper, tis the only thing i can do on it. I doubt we'd find someone to do the scripting tho.
>>
>>2863353
I didn't expect to receive any replies tbqh. I can do the scripting just fine. We need more people, still.
>>
>>2862992
>Superstar Saga just annihilates it.
Superstar Saga being better doesn't mean SMRPG magically becomes bad. It's still a good game. Later games may be better, but it's good on its own. "Dull" is relative, many people find it engrossing on its own.
>>
>bowser_growl.wav
>>
>>2863346
I'm like that. SMRPG looks decent, but I hate the look of pre-rendered DKC game. One of the reasons I never played them.
>>
I don't know about the rest of you, but the commercial worked on ME.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtVHB18KMC8
>>
>>2862992

In my opinion, Superstar Saga is a really boring game. It's okay until about a third or so of the way through, when it says "okay go redo all of the areas you just finished only now you have to find mcguffins." SMRPG has you visiting new locales constantly, all of them distinct and memorable. Way better game world.
>>
>>2862992
I don't like SS's aesthetics or characters/writing as much. The gameplay is an improvement, although it's too bad there's only 2 characters to play as.

I think I feel that way about Paper Mario as well.
>>
>>2859231
I think Nintendo must have originally planned a PAL release, considering the ball-breaking region lock on this game. I know when it was released that no region-changer could play the game, only an original USA SNES. Even for Nintendo that seems overkill, unless they planned to release to Europe later.
>>
because RPGs are for chinks
>>
>>2858318
This is indeed also my opinion why it semi-flopped. A real shame. Especially since at that time most of Europe had very likely the most buyers of both FF and Mario stuff. So it would have sold like hotcakes.
>>
>>2864981

Why the fuck has Nintendo always been so terrible at marketing?
>>
>>2866024
Dude, are you kidding?

Play It Loud was fucking awesome. Shut up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raKGQWIMEC0
>>
>>2858327
This isn't a Rare games thread.
>>
I like SMRPG's pre-rendered look. It was probably unintentional and they just wanted to look "next gen" or whatever, but it makes the game look like some kind of surreal toy house.
>>
>>2866052
Same. I really love it. It's just creepy looking enough.
>>
File: Mario.png (73KB, 347x339px) Image search: [Google]
Mario.png
73KB, 347x339px
>>2866052
>>2866058
I always hated Mario's eyes when you walk diagonally... (Erh, Straight?)
>>
>>2859134
> thinking the snes didnt do well in europe
This is such a shitty meme
>>
>>2858179
Back in the day, the cart ranged from $65 to $80, depending on where you looked (no, I'm not lying so don't deny it) and most parents wouldn't pay that much for ONE game then. I know, because I tried getting it when I was 12, lol...

Also, the number of adults who would buy it for themselves was very low then (unlike now) and teens would rather spend their cash on their social life (movies, fast food, shit for their GF, etc) so they weren't lining up to buy it either.

That was one of the major failing of cart based formats. If they could have found a way to drop the cost, it likely would have sold in droves and even kept Sony from taking over the market instantly. But meh. Whatever.
>>
>>2858643
>mainly nintendo trying to force them to make a FFvi-2
Source? Because I thought FFVII being on the PS1 was just mainly due to the capabilities of the CD format with very little (if at all) infighting with Nintendo.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.