[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/rng/ - Run 'n Gun Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5

File: run-n-gun-shooters.png (1MB, 768x720px) Image search: [Google]
run-n-gun-shooters.png
1MB, 768x720px
What are ya shooting, /vr/?
>>
>>2857939
Fang (glitch) > Brownie > Fang (glitchless) > Ray > Sheena
>>
Fio is my waifu.
>>
>>2857939
Contra and Metal Slug will always be among my favorite games.
>>
God damn Alien Soldier is fucking fantastic once you get the hang of it. Not sure I'd really consider it a run 'n gun. Actually I'm not sure how I'd classify it, it's pretty unique.
>>
>>2857939
>Metal Storm
>run 'n gun

"no"
>>
>>2858070
Don't tell me what to classify it as, boy. I made this thread, so I'll call it a run 'n gun if I damn hell feel like it.
>>
>>2858107
>I made this thread, so I'll call it a run 'n gun if I damn hell feel like it.
How kim jong un of you.
>>
>>2857939
Wow, from this picture it seems that Japan has twice more games like that. There's no reason to be so biased, OP.
>>
File: one cover.jpg (39KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
one cover.jpg
39KB, 500x500px
>>2858147
RnGs isn't exactly my genre, but what not-worthy title besides Turrican did the west produce? The PSX Contra titles were quite mediocre. On the other hand Contra 3's Game Boy port by Factor 5 was very good.

pic related is really good. Just a bit hard. And it's from an American developer, Visual Concepts. The guys who made Lester the Unlikely and ClayFighter. Other than that I can think of... ehhh Biomechanical Toy? Oh and there have been some new homebrew games on the Dreamcast very inspired by Turrican. And there is Nightmare Busters on the SNES.
>>
Are there any Metal Slug ports that make the games run well? They run like shit which makes them hard to enjoy.
>>
>>2858252
You can negate most of the slowdown in Fireburn Alpha by setting the CPU clock higher than normal. Other than that' the Wii version is probably closest to arcade.
>>
File: CT-special-forces-1.gif (553KB, 828x702px) Image search: [Google]
CT-special-forces-1.gif
553KB, 828x702px
>>2858147
Some other titles I found.
Abuse
Rendering Ranger: R2, SFC only but it's from Manfred Trenz.
CT Special Forces, originally on the GBA but got ported to the PS1. The port was actually handled by Trenz.
Jim Power in Mutant Land
Ruff'n'Tumble
Bad Company, interesting game. You got a perspective like in Space Harrier but without the autoscrolling. I know there is a Japanese arcade game like that.

The Chaos Engine
True Lies
Skeleton Crew
Smash TV
Total Carnage
Alien Breed
Apocalypse
Loaded
Firo and Klawd
Blitter Boy
Quite a lot of top down RnGs.

There are more but I tried to pick some more notworthy games. The Amiga actually has a lot.
>>
Metal Slug series brah? thats a pretty damn good run and game series well 1-3 are...
>>
No Rolling Thunder, /vr/? Pretty good root 'n tootie shooter there.
>>
>>2859138
>Rolling Thunder
>Run 'n Gun
>>
Who /turrican/ here?
>>
>>2859143
Well it sure as fuck isn't a jrpg now is it lad?
>>
>>2859171
it's as much of an rpg as it is a run n' gun
>>
>>2859171
It's a jump and shoot
>>
>>2859180
Nah mate, there's no deep platforming in RT to consider it jump 'n shoot.
>>
>>2859204
The only buttons are JUMP and SHOOT.

>Nah mate, there's no deep platforming in RT to consider it jump 'n shoot.

Button 1: SHOOT

Button 2: JUMP

>Nah mate, there's no deep platforming in RT to consider it jump 'n shoot.

nigga....
>>
>>2859773
And? Contra has the same setup. It's clearly different from the likes of Megaman though.
>>
>>2859775
>Contra
Run

>Rolling Thunder
Walk, Stop, Shoot, Jump to upper level, repeat, jump down to ground level, etc.

Would you call Shinobi a run 'n gun?
>>
>>2859794
The first Shinobi? Totally.
>>
>>2859818
>he has never gone past the second stage (i.e. 2-3)
>>
>>2858147
Fuck off, the west made garbage games.
>>
>>2859818
Are you retarded?? How in the fuck is Shinobi a run n gun? That game is like the antithesis of a run and gun.
>>
>>2859838
Especially the arcade games.
>>
>>2858869
>literally scraping the bottom of the RnG barrel just to give the West some representation

>True Lies
>CT Special Forces
>Loaded

Jesus Christ, you JUST'd yourself
>>
>>2859167
Nobody, because it's shit.
>>
>>2857939
>No Contra Hardcorps
Bruh
>>
>>2859838
The shurikens are bullets.

The level design is no where near as complex as a real platformer.

Thus, run 'n gun.
>>
>>2859848
hard corps was hot garbage
>>
>>2859861
Fuck, at least beat the game before you say something so stupid!! You are a true retard if you continue calling it a run n gun. You're retarded.
>>
>>2859868
Shinobi Arcade is run 'n gun, that is a fact. The Megadrive games may qualify as platformers but not the original game.
>>
>>2859903
I think the correct term would be walk and throw, and occasionally slash with sword.
>>
>>2859903
You're retarded. That's a fact. And you still haven't gotten past the second stage. If you had then you'd know how much of a stop-and-shoot Shinobi is, the antithesis of a run-n-gun.
>>
>>2859818
This is just using terms meaninglessly now. You might as well call Super Mario Bros. a "run 'n' gun" because it has fireballs.
>>
>>2859925
Stop and shoot and jump and shoot aren't genres, dolt.

Shinobi's a run 'n gun, deal with it.
>>
>>2860001
Shinobi's an action game. Same genre as Ninja Gaiden.
>>
>>2860001
Stopping by and posting for the first time on this thread. LOL Shinobi is NOT a run 'n gun, it's simply an action-platformer. Run 'n guns are fast-paced and known for constant action and movement. Shinobi is a slow methodical game that is based on trial and error.
>>
>>2860337
Not at all. For one, Ninja Gaiden is a beat 'em up. And for two, Shinobi Arcade lacks thoughtful platforming in the vein of Mario or Castlevania. Really, you could call Contra a platformer by your loose definition because you have to jump over some pits and such. It's utter bollocks what you're spewing.

Shinobi = Run 'n gun
Super Shinobi 1&2 = platformers
>>
>>2862349
Are you autistic? Several people have contradicted you, yet you alone continue to spout your bullshit.
>>
>>2862353
How can a game be a platformer when it has nothing platformy about it? Do you need a refresher on what a platformer is? Go play Pitfall.
>>
File: cormano.jpg (7KB, 122x282px) Image search: [Google]
cormano.jpg
7KB, 122x282px
>>2857939
>not playing Sunset Riders, the funnest bro-op run 'n gun shooter of all time
>>
>>2862356
>what is an action-platformer

You are one stubborn, autistic little manchild. Call it whatever the fuck you want then.
>>
>>2862493
>autistic little manchild
Those are people who call any side scrolling game a platformer.
>>
>>2859846
I really don't know what you are trying to tell me.
>>
>>2860001
Shinobi, Rolling Thunder, Ghosts 'n Goblins and similar games before Contra are more like "Walk 'n gun". They are a bit more methodical, slower, and the aiming is limited.
>>
Genji Tsushin agedama

On the easy side, but has 16 charge attacks and evasive rolls
>>
>>2859906
>I think the correct term would be walk and throw,
Now we are getting fucking autistic here.
>>2859847
Turrican 3 is good.
>>
>>2863947
Any other autoscrolling run'n'guns like that? I know Atomic Runner on the Mega Drive.
>>
>>2865252
Data East has another game like that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW8Erfd65Y
>>
>>2865331
I know that game, didn't know it was an autoscroller. Thank you.
>>
>>2858230
>there have been some new homebrew games on the Dreamcast very inspired by Turrican
That'l be Gunlord.
>>
>>2859847
Your taste is objectively shit.
>>
>>2858869
Earthworm Jim
Zombies ate my Neighbours
>>
>>2870086
>Jim
platformer

>ZAMN
overhead shooter
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.