[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

belts and zippers fetish aside, nomura was a good character designer.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

belts and zippers fetish aside, nomura was a good character designer.
>>
>>2856094
Why are belts and zippers in themselves bad character design and how is a random drawing of a character with literally no costume or any personality trait implemented in the actual game good?

I agree though; it's directing he sucks at.
>>
>>2856094
>nomura was a good character designer.
Not in the same universe where Kinu Nishimura, Tomomi Kobayashi, Yoshitaka Amano and Tatsuya Yoshikawa exist.
He's mid tier at best.
>>
You left out Leather. Leather + Belts + Zippers.
Then you add Metrosexual.
>>
>>2856094
His monster designs are undeniably amazing but his character designs really aren't that good, especially compared to Amano.
>>
File: nomura sketch 1.jpg (149KB, 736x1398px) Image search: [Google]
nomura sketch 1.jpg
149KB, 736x1398px
>>2856204
Even so, his designs for 6 were goddamn brilliant. Remember him for that if nothing else.
>>
>>2856239
>>2856204
Not OP, but I'm not much a fan of Amano. He seems nigh incapable of designing men who aren't androgynous-looking.
>>
>>2856204
>>2856239
Amano's a great character designer, just not in any video game.
>>
>>2856257
>He seems nigh incapable of designing men who aren't androgynous-looking.
This meme has to stop.
>>
File: 1379990285155.jpg (230KB, 879x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1379990285155.jpg
230KB, 879x1000px
>>2856257
Counterexample
>>
File: belts_and_zippers_aside.jpg (37KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
belts_and_zippers_aside.jpg
37KB, 500x500px
>>2856094
>belts and zippers fetish aside
>>
He's good at drawing attractive people, but bad at coming up with creative designs.

Everyone in FF8, 10 and 15 look like clones of the same Japanese supermodels.
>>
>>2856204
well i didn't say he was excellent, or even very good. there's no need for hyperbole. he was good. guided by capable and creative art direction, he could have done some sweet stuff if he hadn't opted to go for directing.
>>
>>2856264
>>2856261
Look, he's not entirely incapable of non-androgynous male-figures just /seems to be nigh incapable/ IE it's rare that he designs male characters that don't greatly resemble twinky fuccbois, and that's across the vast quantity of his works.
In that regard, his work reminds me of Klimt by which I mean that while he's greatly talented and perfectly capable of drawing masculine/male figures, his default moves away from that, either by avoiding male figures altogether or making them appear androgynous because it's what he prefers in the first place. Of the 30 paintings by Klimt that I recall off the top of my head, only five portray masculine/unmistakably male figures (unless you count the painting of Athena which looks kinda bull-dyke-y to me or the one of Sappho, wherein she looks just like Locke from FF6).
Similarly, of the myriads of works I've seen by Amano, which is no small number due to being into Sandman back in the day as well as a FF fan, only a few stick out as decidedly masculine-looking figures.

Because of that, I don't care for the majority of his designs. You've got to concede that I've a rather valid, and well-thought-out opinion, even if you disagree with it, no?

He's better than sameface manga "artists" Rumiko Takahashi, CLAMP (who ironically published a series titled "Man of Many Faces") and that douche from Dragonball, but far from my favourite designers.
>>
>>2856369
Anime/manga designs are more for being easy to draw, so of course there are going to be some sacrifices there.
>>
Fuck Nomura, Amano is god.
>>
>>2856383
amanoplz
>>
>>2856369

What you're picking up on is actually known as "drawing what the people want", where "the people" unfortunately here means a nigh-insufferably jaded Japanese public perpetually smitten with freaks like Gackt.

What tips it for me, though, is that Amano's worst is infinitely more bearable than Nomura's.
>>
>>2856383
Amano is a great artist. He's a terrible character designer though; CDs shouldn't need "translators"
>>
>>2856369
this is a good post. you are a good man. i hope blowjobs will rain down on you one day, much like manna.
>>
>>2856197
Belts and zippers on their own aren't a bad thing, it's when the amount of belts and zippers gets out of hand that things get a bit ridiculous.
>>
File: doronjo-tvc1.jpg (72KB, 650x1050px) Image search: [Google]
doronjo-tvc1.jpg
72KB, 650x1050px
>>2856369
I agree. Amano has made some of my favorite character designs. But they aren't video game character designs.
>>
>>2856535
I never really paid attention until this meme spread around but anyhow looking back they reached critical levels during FVIII then really REALLY got out of hand in XII.
>>
File: narcisse-a-youth-1911LeonBakst.jpg (353KB, 1348x2033px) Image search: [Google]
narcisse-a-youth-1911LeonBakst.jpg
353KB, 1348x2033px
>>2856369
>In that regard, his work reminds me of Klimt
Many people I know compare him to Klimt but I have to disagree on this, while Amano draws a lot from the Art Nouveau I feel that his art is more heavily influenced by Leon Bakst, that doesn't mean he isn't reminiscent of Klimt of course, he uses a lot of standard techinques Klimt used, but again, Bakst seems to be the more important inspiration in terms of patterns, costumes and chromatic choices.

And again, I disagree with this meme mainly because Amano has very rigid sets of aesthetics regarding character types, protagonists have always some sort of feminine traits though that might change, certain artworks of Vampire Hunter D have him extremely masculine for some reason, supporting characters are usually burly, manly man and lets not forget either cartoony or comic relief villains.
One good example of that is Front Mission, Royd is kind of like most of his MCs, but almost every other male except Ryuji is very masculine, Keith is a very nice example.

Amano is perfectly capable of drawing either manly or feminine men, but like the vast majority of artists has very rigid design schemes and he's got a mancrush on David Bowie too to make things worse, but who doesn't.

The problem with Nomura is that he's even more limited than Amano and most of his great character designs are so heavily and painfully influenced by Amano's style they do more harm than good to his reputation, Edea, Adell and Ulty were pretty much his take on Amano's classic female designs, why do you think the japs made so many fanart of the Emperor and Ulty together like a brother with his little sister?
>>
>>2856390
But it's the same deal with Nomura. Left to his own devices, he designs great characters like Aya in the OP. Driven by the insatiable masses' lust for j-pop faggotry, he gets told to design shit like what you see in Kingdom Hearts.
>>
>>2856540
I'd say Kingdom Hearts was the biggest offender of beltanzippah
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.