[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why SNES games are so vivid compared to GBA ports? I began to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

File: hqdefault.jpg (28KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
28KB, 480x360px
Why SNES games are so vivid compared to GBA ports?
I began to play Final Fantasy II on SNES and it seems to look a lot better than FF IV Advance. Let's say, enemy death animation is a lot more interesting.
>>
>>2845467
GBA had a weird resolution

also has a much less 'vivid' sound.

so hard to play GBA games for me nowadays b/c of this
>>
>>2845467
>>2845510
There's a patch for that. It fixes the color so it looks exactly like the SNES version. For VI and IV, dunno if V also has one. As an added bonus there's also a patch to fix the weird soundfont of the FF games on the GBA.
>>
>>2845467
>Why SNES games are so vivid compared to GBA ports?
They intentionally washed out the colors so they'd be brighter and easier to see on the unlit GBA screen.

It ruined the look of a lot of games. I wish they had the foresight to just include a backlight from the beginning.
>>
>>2845546
Some GBA games had an option to change the palette to suit the system it was played on. Where it was included was inconsistent, though. Strange that FF Tactics Advance had it, but the later FF ports didn't.
>>
Isn't the GBA also missing the transparency layer that the SNES has too?
>>
>>2845587
As far as I know, the SNES relied on a filter to give the illusion of transparency, which is why when you load up SMW on crappy emulators, water appears as a blue pixel every other space.
>>
On a decent emulator you can filter early GBA games so they look the way they were intended to on a dimmer screen.
>>
>>2845467
>Rydia at 2600 HP

Holy shit that's a lot of grinding.
>>
>>2845948
Or an apple diet.

>>2845542
Yeah, the patches are great. Get the extra content without the shitty sound/colors.
>>
>>2845542
To be honest, I still don't think the sound is as good as the SNES versions when compared side-by-side. It's closer, but still not exactly the same, imo.

The color patched help a lot, though.
>>
>>2845467
MOD music is even more lifeless than SNES music.
Lower resolution.
Awful saturated colors to fit handheld screen
>>
If only they had tweaked the GBA a weeeeeee little bit more, like give it a better sound chip, a backlit screen, and two more face buttons, it would have been the ultimate handheld.
>>
>>2846252
>If only they had tweaked the GBA a weeeeeee little bit more, like give it a better sound chip, a backlit screen, and two more face buttons, it would have been the ultimate handheld.
You mean this?
>>
>>2846263
Well that was a couple of years later. Also the dual screen is still a total abomination.
>>
>>2846267
I like the dual screens.

My problems lie mostly in the resolution of the screens along with the touch controls that were tacked onto almost every game early in its life.

I think two screens by themselves are an alright idea.
>>
>>2845467
I've only ever played final fantasy 7, what should I play next?
>>
>>2846387
FF6, to get a taste of the 16bit era FFs.
>>
>>2846391
is it for psone?
>>
>>2846416
>>2846391
mean to say are their any differences between the playstation version and the snes version
>>
>>2846419
yeah, the playstation port sucks balls. big, black, salty balls, hundreds of them. don't even think of playing the playstation port. get the patched gba port.
>>
>>2846423
gba port over the snes ?
>>
>>2846426
absolutely.
>>
>>2846426

Stop listen to autists and just get the Restored version ROM. It makes the sound and graphics like the SNES.

All the rest is superior to the SNES version, so yeah.
>>
>>2846475
Wow, we have an amazing intellectual here, ladies and gentlemen. Just call everyone you disagree with an autist and you've won the argument!
>>
>>2846426

Erm, no. Don't bother with the GBA port. There are serious bugs in that version, like enemies "stealing" your turns. And the battle lag is going to make you input the wrong commands constantly. The European version tones down some of the bugs, but doesn't actually fix them.

The GBA translation is also the worst quality of all the versions available. The PS1 translation is *that* much better, but it's definitely an improvement.

I don't know who keeps trying to push the GBA port, but you really shouldn't listen to them. They jump into basically every FF4 discussion and go on an autistic binge about how the GBA port is the most sacred thing ever. It's really not.
>>
File: 1438118260569.png (276KB, 586x634px) Image search: [Google]
1438118260569.png
276KB, 586x634px
>>2846484
>The GBA translation is also the worst quality of all the versions available
>>
>>2846484

From what I hear something is seriously off with the ATB code in the GBA port, which indeed does eventually result in cumulative timing errors allowing you (or the CPU, more often) to "steal" turns..
>>
>>2846475
>It makes the sound
The sound still isn't as good as the snes version.
>>
>>2846426
Your best bet is that with the sound and color fix. The sound still won't be as good as the SNES version, but it will be better.

If not that, than the SNES version with the Woolsey Uncensored hack (original localization as a base, includes some bug fixes, rewords awkward or intentionally censored lines) or the Relocalization hack (uses GBA as a base with about 80% of the dialogue from it used, includes pretty much all bug fixes, any awkward lines are fixed with tweaked more literal translations either from other sorces or the fan-translation where applicable).

Those are probably your best options for FF6 at this point.
>>
>>2845467

That GOAT SNES big bang attack animation.
>>
>>2845956
>F2f had no apples

Rydia must be level 70 lol
>>
>>2846484
>The GBA translation is also the worst quality of all the versions available
Son of a submariner xD *slits his mama's throat for a nickel with "Aura"*
>>
If you could choose your FF4 endgame party, who would you use?

Personally I like the endgame party a lot, but I might swap Edge for Yang.
>>
>>2850058
Maybe I'm crazy, but Palom and Porom seemed to advance at a really fast rate, so I'd love to see what they're like past lvl 50.
>>
>>2846387
Either IV or VI are acceptable (aka II and III). I prefer IV because it is less story and more action. It goes way faster than VI.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.