[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/vr/ Terminology

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 7

File: KingKoopa.jpg (24KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
KingKoopa.jpg
24KB, 500x333px
Sup /vr/. I was doing some thinking, and I'd like to hear some of the terms you guys used back in the day, whether it was exclusive to you or not, and where some of the terms might have came from. For instance, when I was a kid, we always called stages "boards." I picked it up from my cousin, and just assumed it was some bastardization of stage or level, until I heard other people online using it as well.
>>
The only game I remember using the term 'boards' for stages was DX-Ball. I didn't really play many other breakout clones but I would've assumed they were called that for being flat and stationary, i.e. you wouldn't use that term when referring to a sidescroller.
>>
>>2843792
>we always called stages "boards."

I never understood this. The only way it would make sense is if you just spent your whole life playing board games and moved over to video ones, but even then the instructions are usually pretty unanimous in calling it a stage or level, or even a world.
>>
>>2844035
>the only way it would make sense is if you just spent your whole life playing board games and moved over to video ones
That's exactly what happened. "Board" is a very old name. People said "board" in the late 70s/early 80s.
>>
Sega and Nintendo. Not genesis or NES.
>>
>>2843792
Third World countries are absolutely crazy with this.
Playstation was the Play, we basically said Gold Eneye, Crash Team Racing was Crash Cart (Mario Kart's retarded brother?) and so on. Doing 100% of a game is also "rescuing" it for some retarded reason.
>>
I live in Brazil and when we finished a game we would say "Virei o jogo". The verb "virar" means to turn or to flip. No idea why we said that.
>>
>>2844320
It seems like I've heard rescuing before, on some forums back in the day.
>>
called cartridge cassettes or tapes
lives were always "guys"
>>
>>2844320
Rescuing? Never heard that before. Where are you from?

>>2844567
That's odd, in Argentina the term "dar vuelta" as in "turn something inside out" caught on very recently, at least as far as gaming lingo goes.
>>
ah how could i forget...controllers were joypads or joysticks
>>
>>2844690
Oh man used guy a ton of times. Thanks for the reminder.
>>
>>2844690
I used to say men instead of guys, and my British cousins would call them go's, like "I fucked up my last go."
>>
When I was a kid we called beating a game 100% mastering or perfecting it.
>>
>>2846328
I'm from Uruguay and I always thought it was because you turn it around completely and see every part of it.
>>
File: 1434519268969.png (181KB, 512x548px) Image search: [Google]
1434519268969.png
181KB, 512x548px
>>2843792
>we always called stages "boards.
Is this a British/European thing? I've literally never heard this before.
>>
>>2846448
You should probably add a few more literally's to your post. The word really adds a lot to your sentence but I think you could do better.
>>
Paddle.
>>
>>2846448
I'm from the U.S., and we used boards instead of stages.
>>
Picked up from my Mum that beating games was clocking them. I've only met New Zealanders and a limited number of Australians that say they've clocked games but I'm sure it's more widespread than that.
>>
>>2844567
>not "zerar"
shaking my head to be honest family
>>
>>2846448
I always had a natural instinct to call stages in SRPGs "boards".
>>
>>2843792
"Get Good" not mentioned yet
>>
>>2843792
I never heard anyone use the term "board" back in the day. Even back when games were a single screen we all just called it a screen. I've only ever heard it used by younglings in recent times. Most games made it clear what a level was called, stage, wave, maze, etc. For the most parts we didn't have established terms for things and had to make them up. No doubt a few dingi did call levels "boards.
I remember when the term "boss" came into use and thinking how gay it sounded. It only caught on because "the X at the end of the level" is too long. On the other hand I remember when the term "casual" came into use and wising we had it years earlier.
Some terms have changed meaning. "Don't get hit" is considered a joke by casuals but back in the day it was solid adviceand when followed resulted in much winning.
>>
>>2846465
this. i always called the nes controller a paddle
>>
Ever since Kirby Superstar me and my siblings have called the cpu controlled ally in games as the "Helper."
Examples include: Diablo 2 mercenary, Resident Evil 5 Chirs/Sheva, and Gooey from Kirby.
>>
>>2843792

people used to always call controllers "paddles". it used to piss me off, even as a kid
>>
>>2846569
Because that's a relatively new term used by dipshits on 4chan....
>>
>>2846452
>Getting annoyed over a non-hyperbolic literally.
>>
>>2843792
guy in pic looks sexy. i would suck his croc.
>>
buttons were "keys"
>>
I'm Mexican, and we called beating a game "Darle la vuelta"(Turning the game around).
>>
File: 22583_back.jpg (73KB, 640x453px) Image search: [Google]
22583_back.jpg
73KB, 640x453px
This may or may not be completely related, but it still weirds me out that the phrase "Dracula X" has now completely overtaken its place as referring to Castlevania: Dracula X, the SNES game and not Akumajou Dracula X: Rondo of Blood, the PC Engine game. I remember back in the late 90s and early 2000s, Dracula X was shorthand for Rondo of Blood and nothing more, and the SNES game was referred to as either "the SNES Dracula X", "Vampire's Kiss", or "Dracula XX" to avoid confusion.

I mean, even the back of the box of the SNES game refers to it as a "new conversion of the hit Japanese game Dracula X"

So fast forward nowadays and you see a lot of people, here especially, saying "Dracula X sucks" or "Dracula X isn't as bad as people make it out to be" and whatnot with no context as to which game they're referring to.
>>
>>2846850
> Relatively new

Huh, that's funny, my friends and I were saying that about NES games in 1991.
>>
>>2843792
We used to call the stars in mario games (and in Mario Kart in particular) "party". Because of the flashing lights and nice music.

Also in the Mario (and Yoshi) games where you can spin around and smash stuff with your butt we would call it, simply "butt smash".
>>
File: 1280082457803.jpg (88KB, 499x636px) Image search: [Google]
1280082457803.jpg
88KB, 499x636px
>>2848650

Sure you were son
>>
File: 7964_front.jpg (58KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
7964_front.jpg
58KB, 640x640px
In Denmark, instead of unlocking all the characters, you "win" all the "men". Convenient short words I guess.
>>
>>2852146
Also, one-hit kills were called "death tricks"
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (31KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
31KB, 480x360px
for some reason i called pieces of health "bolts"

i think it's because the enemy health bar in x-men for genesis looked like a bolt that slowly disappeared
>>
>>2852267
To this day I still don't know how to defeat any of the bosses properly in that game, I always just trade blows and out-last enemies due to switching characters, or use the helpers, or put Nightcrawler in "teleport state" to damage them (press and hold A but no direction, and 'Crawler will just teleport in one place, and he is invulnerable and damages enemies when doing that - it also uses much less power, great for bosses, but does little damage).
>>
>>2852278
ya, i've never figured it out either, man. the game is hard as fuck and really unforgiving. apocalypse is a god damn asshole and ruined my god damn childhood. i made it to mojo's level ONE fucking time and didn't know about the reset "feature". so fucking gay.
>>
In Sweden we call levels or stages "tracks"
>>
>>2852357
What the fuck.
>>
I bet all your dads worked at nintendo too. Nobody said this. Stop trying to out do each other in pretending to be old
>>
>>2847047

I remember people always referred to Rondo as Rondo of Blood, and the SNES game as Dracula X.
I even got the game when it was released, and I couldn't read english back then, so I never read the back cover. To me it was always Dracula X.

Anyway, the "Dracula X" could also be Symphony of the Night, since the full title is Akumajou Dracula X: Gekka no yasoukyoku.

Regardless it's safe to assume that whenever people talk about Dracula X, they're talking about the SNES game. Rondo is always referred as Rondo, RoB, etc.
>>
>>2852357
I guess stages would have been too misogynistic
>>
>>2852412
>I know everything and whatever you said in your childhood is wrong.
>>
In Turkey, every single game console (until the PSX came out) was called "Atari". Including arcades. This was because Atari 2600 was the first console to come into the country and was such a big hit that the name endured. The fact that the NES existed only in bootleg form (the SNES was nonexistent) also probably had something to do with it. NES bootlegs were reasonably widespread even at the turn of the century and were the only common alternative to the brand new and expensive "PlessTation". Arcades were called "Atari halls", the very of them remaining today are still referred to as such.
>>
>>2852590
Interesting.
In Europe, at least in Germany, for most 30+ old people every console was a Nintendo at that time.
>>
When I was a kid we called extra lives "bonus daddies"
>>
>>2852691
No it wasn't
>>
>>2846448
The only people I ever heard using it were black people and people who associated with black people.

In the US, btw.
>>
We used to call pre-rendered CGI FMVs "tight graphics".
>>
>>2852450

Good one. You sure showed Sweden, huh? It's pretty cool how much you know about Sweden despite that fact that you've never been there and hardly know anything about the country at all other than what /pol/ tells you!
>>
People calling the NES a "Nintendo".
>>
In Norway too stages were called boards (brett), this may well be common to this day for all I know.

"Runde" is the term used for beating a game, as in "jeg rundet Zelda 1 i dag tidlig". I'm assuming the meaning in this context is to lap the game like you would lap someone in a race rather than round as in rounding a bolt.
>>
In my country when you beat a game we call it beating a game, which is weird because a beating is a thing you receive from your father if you spill his liquor and if you did that to your game, it would break! I guess it doesn't really translate.
>>
it's true...in australia we always used to refer to beating a game as "clocking it"
>>
>>2852357
Kinda reminds me of how Mario 64 called them "courses".
>>
I've noticed a trend where a lot of faggots say "Now that the dust has settled"
>>
>>2852434
>>2847047
In pre-internet days, most people used "Dracula X" interchangeably for both games, simply distinguishing between the two versions by their platform. We only knew the subtitle for the PC Engine version was supposed to be "Rondo of Blood" after the internet told us it was.
>>
>>2854332
>>2847047
>>2852434
I'd never heard anyone ever say Dracula X ever to ever refer to any game ever other than Dracula X on SNES. Mostly because I was the only person I knew ever who ever owned TG16 and I didn't ever have Rondo on it because I'm ever so sure it was never ever released outside of grolious Nippon, ever.

Also ever.

So yeah: I call shenanigans because before the internet became commonplace in people's homes, no one knew what Rondo even was. Even after SotN came out, which is Rondo's direct sequel, precious few knew about it and at that point, most people were only aware of it in passing. The majority had never played it since they had zero interest in anything on TG16/PCE. I was also the only person I knew who ran Magic Engine back in 1998 or so, because I loved my TG16. I introduced some friends to 5 way Bomberman '94 back then with it. Fun times.

Anyway, I guess it's nice that you're trying to pretend to be old enough to have been around back then to experience this stuff firsthand, but you don't need to. No one's gonna down you for being a young'un. We might, though, for acting like you playing something in 2010 on your fancy-assed, newfangled doohickey Virtual Console is the same as what we grew up playing in the 80s and 90s.
>>
>>2853230
U.S. here, me and everyone I know uses beating as the term for completing a game.
>>
>>2852739
are you literally being literal with that post
>>
>>2854332

Well, pre-internet I never spoke to anyone about Castlevania, I came in contect with Castlevania through magazines, but none of my friends played the series.
My first CV game was Dracula X on SNES which I bought when it was brand new in 1995, and didn't know about Rondo of Blood until much later, I think around 2001 or so when I started looking for Castlevania stuff online, and I remember reading about Rondo of Blood (called like that) in old castlevania sites.

But yeah this is the typical mess with localized titles, as I said "Akumajou Dracula X" would be the title of the renewed series, since SOTN is also part of the "Dracula X" series. Igarashi even considers "Dracula X" a spinoff of Akumajou Dracula (I don't agree with him since I think Rondo is pretty much a main entry on the main series, but whatever).
The correct way to call the games would be Dracula X: Rondo of Blood and Dracula XX for the SNES game, but IMO it's just easier for us westerners to call them Rondo/RoB and Dracula X.
>>
>>2855068
Are you for serious? Don't beat up your games, they are fragile!
>>
I didnt learn the term "boss" until I was like 8-10. Before that my friends and I called them "Big Bad Guys"
>>
Whenever money accumulated over or equal to one thousand I use "one k" to indicate one thousand, "two k" for two thousand, and etc. I still use it while talking about real world money.
>>
>>2855238

My parents used the word grand for a thousand dollars. Is that weird to anyone else? Because it was hella weird to me as a kid.
>>
>>2855259
Are you 13?
>>
>/vr/'s very own autismus containment thread
>>
>>2855259

...no? Are you even in high school yet?
>>
>>2853851

It makes sense for a game like Super Mario 64, where the levels are, in many ways, obstacle courses.
>>
>>2855238

This isn't unusual at all.

K stands for 'kilo', meaning 'thousand' in Greek. The term is used in the metric system all across the world. When you say 1K, for instance, you are saying one times one thousand, obviously meaning 1000. It's just a simple way to get around having to write so many zeroes, which is why it's so popular in finance.

If you live in the US, I can see why you find "k" strange, since you are probably unaccustomed to using kilos as a form of measurement.
>>
>>2855202

Wow, is "beating" a game an unusual term to people from outside the US? I had no idea.
>>
Eat = Pick up an item.
Be eaten = Get caught by an enemy.
>>
>>2856826
Britbong here, we never said this growing up, though i would now as it's a pretty good way to describe it.
>>
>>2855202
"Beaten" is pretty widespread in that context here, even outside of video games.
You've never heard something along the lines of "this team was beaten in the Super Bowl"?
>>
>>2856984
>>2856826
Oh bros, worst thing that a losing team would do is go to locker room and have a cry while they get yelled at by their director. Why would you beat them up? They won't win the next game if they are beaten; a very strange term.
>>
>>2856993
>director
It seems like "beaten" isn't the only term you're unfamiliar with.
>>
>>2856993

Heh, that's pretty funny. I never really thought about the term and how it sounds out of context, or to someone unfamiliar with it.

I wonder where it comes from? I'm assuming it's origin had a more literal meaning (maybe from boxing? the loser is quite literally beaten in that case)
>>
>>2856996
He directs the team. You call it coach, but this is very similar to term that means "long seat" in my language.
>>
>>2856993
video games =/= team sports
when you beat a game, there is no locker room for it to slink back to and feel ashamed
because it is a video game
>>
File: 1399088693208.png (70KB, 172x159px) Image search: [Google]
1399088693208.png
70KB, 172x159px
>>2857136
>tfw no safe space after being beaten simply for the purpose of entertainment
>being a cartridge is suffering
>>
>>2857064
Couch? We have the same word.
>>
In my country people prefer using the English word "game" over the native word, it just pisses me off and I exclusively use the native word.
>>
>>2857136
When you beat up a game, what you have is a broken thing. It does not go to locker room because it instead goes into refuse. I hope your father treats you as the same for wasting his pay that he spends to give it to you ungratefully. Did you spill his liquors too?

I do not know why we call it beating a game because we would never do this. As I said, a strange term, but perhaps I am lightly judging it -- possibly it is stupid term, really, I am ashamed for its usage here.

>>2857173
Yes, so it is a strange thing that we have a word so similar that means only the one meaning (coach) when already director exists.

Also fuck you google for these image games. "PLEASE SMEAR YOUR THUMB ACROSS THIS PICTURE AND LET THEM GUESS WHAT IT IS." Many times the google image game is wrong, also. One time it asks to click taxis and provides only pictures of some things, and with yellow cars, but the cars are sports cars like Lambourghinis. You can't use such a car as a taxi, it has no rearseat -- stupid, who checks this game?
>>
>>2857215
>>2857136

Also I apologize to you anon. I read again and realize you are not being angry with me but I said a harsh thing about your father. Google makes a fool of me.
>>
>>2857215
Just because you got beaten by daddy doesn't mean every kid who owned a nintendo in america or whatever did.

As an American, you're acting like one in assuming that your terms are superior.
>>
>>2857215
>>2857224
Nigger, what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>2857232
Where have I said coach is an inferior term? I said it was a strange term and has a meaning that already existed -- we say director, you do not. This is a comparison, you assume the stance of better of worse on your own.

I also know that not everyone is beaten by their fathers, I am only saying that beating a game can mean also breaking it and comment on how it is a strange term. Others have agreed.

>>2857242
Please read.
>>
>>2857215
open english student here
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.