[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

System Shock Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

File: CortexReaver.gif (117KB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
CortexReaver.gif
117KB, 150x150px
With the confirmation of System Shock 3, I think it's time we discussed the first two games.

Did you like 1 or 2 more? Personally I preferred the first because it focused more on SHODAN, whereas The Many took too much of the spotlight in the sequel. Also the hacking levels were leagues better in SS compared to the rather lame minigame that 2 had. I think the music and level designs were better in the first as well.
>>
>>2842678
Three was confirmed? That's both a nice and terrible thing to hear. Hopefully they will give it the work deserving of such a pedigree.
>>
>>2842678
I hope they make it more linear with awesome graphics
>>
>>2842682
Some of the people working on it worked on the originals (as well as Thief and so on) so there is a faint glimmer of hope. But they are unproven in their current form.

Terri Brosius is essentially confirmed, since she's doing voices for their other game. Eric was involved with the recent SHODAN soundpack for Dota 2, so maybe she can drag him into this.
>>
I started 1, but then got sidetracked.

Should I pick it back up, or buy the Enhanced Edition and restart?
>>
>>2842745
Buy EE, it's better in every way, with higher resolutions and a tweaked mouselook and runs natively on Windows.
>>
Is it best to play 1 before 2?
>>
1 is much better imo, 2 was more flawed in a lot of ways
>>2842764
doesn't matter there are a couple of things you might notice in 2 if you play them in order though
>>
>>2842764
Some revelations in 2 had a bigger impact on me that I feel wouldn't have been the same if I'd skipped 1, so yeah..
>>
>>2842757
Done.
>>
>>2842678
>With the confirmation of System Shock 3
Sause or i call bullshit
>>
>>2842821
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=system+shock+3
>>
System Shock is the FFVII of first-person shooters: clunky, overrated as hell, and supported by legions of fanboys.
>>
>>2842821
It's all over google news
>>
Does EE have the option to use the glorious music from the Mac version?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfjIpc_Lbjk
>>
>>2842826
>I was too stupid to play SS so I'll just throw around some baseless criticisms to make my ego feel better

It's ok Timmy, maybe when you grow up in 10 years you'll try it again and realize why it's so great.
>>
>>2842840
unfortunately not
you can use whatever midi sound font you want though
>>
just letting u know ss3 will go the way of skyrim and fallout 4.

dumbed down ass fuck, borderline meaningless rpg elements, action based, and no story.
>>
>>2842696
gr8 b8 m8
>>
>>2842852
I know, besides, not gonna get hyped, at least I won't be disappointed when they fuck it up.
>>
>>2842852
Well look at the team before you say things like that. The first game had about as many RPG elements as Zelda.
I wouldn't get my hopes up, but I won't get them down either.
>>
>>2842852
>meaningless rpg elements
Like SS2?

>action based
Like both System Shocks?
>>
Incoming Kickstarter campaign in 4 days.
>>
>>2842852
i don't think it will even come near those.
>Otherside Entertainment, the small studio currently developing Ultima Underworld successor Underworld Ascendant.
>>
I'm probably in the minority, but I always considered the series a very over rated one. It's not a bad game, far from it, but it's not this awesome, one of a kind experience. Not now, not back then.

That being said, Shodan was kind of interesting and menacing in 2 so I guess 2 is better.
>>
File: 1428413808821.jpg (42KB, 512x640px) Image search: [Google]
1428413808821.jpg
42KB, 512x640px
>>
>>2843502
>It's not a bad game, far from it, but it's not this awesome, one of a kind experience. Not now, not back then.
What other games would you say offered a similar experience?
>>
>>2844289
Desu Echs.
>>
>>2843485
pretty much this
night dive have said previously that they can't fund a big game themselves and otherside have already done the kickstarter thing
i dont back things personally but im gonna take a guess it will get funded in less than a day...
>>
>>2842678
I hope this doesn't happen. I absolutely love 1 & 2. I wanted a third 10 years ago, but not now. It'll be shit. Why does every fucking game have to have a sequel or more?
>>
Feminist SJW SHODAN confirmed, it's gonna be fucking garbage, /vr/.
>>
>>2844549
B-but I want Shodan to call me 'insect' and others degrading names in her perfect, sexy voice.
>>
Just look at the trailer for their other game, the Ultima Underworld reboot, and you should expect the kind of "quality" we'll get for SS3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLkX_s2euRk
>>
>>2846131
>trailer
it's prototype footage
>>
File: 23jqt1f.jpg (181KB, 1599x664px) Image search: [Google]
23jqt1f.jpg
181KB, 1599x664px
>>2846131
To be fair, they consider that to not even be pre-alpha yet. There's still the possibility of pic related but time will tell.
>>
>>2842773
1 had an almost comical plot and villain, and the minigames were both ridicolous and annoying: fuck that cyberspace thing and fuck that shooting a wireframed vase while you are racing a screensaver of SHODAN. In both of them, the soundtrack is laughable. The first is blaring MIDI all over the place, the second saps all the tension by spoilering whether the enemies are noticing you. They feel too disconnected from the real game.
>>
>>2846240
>implying SS2's plot wasn't just as comical
Logically, The Many shouldn't exist given the short amount of time that took place between games.
>>
>>2846286
I forget exactly how the plot goes, but it also seems really convenient the Von Braun just happened to be in the same area SHODAN was all those years later out of all the places in space.

And I don't think the ending even needs to be mentioned.
>>
>>2846308
nah
>>
File: 1394990936338.jpg (293KB, 1152x864px) Image search: [Google]
1394990936338.jpg
293KB, 1152x864px
I didn't beat the second one. I can't point my finger on it but when I attempted playing it I just couldn't get into it for some reason. I should probably try again but for now System Shock 1 is my favorite game out of the two. It's just so good.
>>
>>2844558
L-look at you, anon, a pathetic creature of fat and bone, p-panting and sweating as you post on 4chan. How dare you challenge a perfect, i-immortal machiiine?
>>
>>2846240
1 was Die Hard in space, ammo is in abundance and you get a lightsabre about a third of the way in.
Guns don't break, you know how to use them from the start and once you get the hang of the controls you're a fucking death machine.
I've never really got the impression that 1 was meant to be a horror game, it has some scary elements (the game over cinematic is spooky as fuck) but it never felt like a horror game, as I said above Hacker kicked the shit out almost all the enemies and most of the game was pretty colourful. Some of the guns make Star Wars noises for gods sake.
I think a lot of people have mentally merged 1 with 2 and the Bioshock games, 1 isn't a horror game, it's plot isn't taken too seriously and it certainly isn't trying to be 'deep'. SHODAN is a bond villain who makes goofy over the top threats and tells you her plans for no reason and she's perfect for the game. Her voice acting is spot on too.
I agree with you about the hacking minigames and the bad final boss fight but 2 has those problems as well. Boss fights are just hard to do in games where the designer doesn't have that much control over what weapons and how much ammo the player has at the end of the game I guess.
>>
Enhanced Edition, SSP, or vanila?
>>
File: hackers gonna hack.jpg (18KB, 330x330px) Image search: [Google]
hackers gonna hack.jpg
18KB, 330x330px
>SS3 coming out
>My shitty laptop probably won't run it

;_;
>>
>>2851340
EE
>>
>>2851340
EE or SSP, I think they're more or less the same
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.