[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

CRT THREAD - DUMB FROG POSTER EDITION

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 514
Thread images: 129

File: image.jpg (2MB, 2678x2117px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2678x2117px
Previous thread(s) - >>2828308

This thread is for the spirited discussion of CRT displays - Televisions, monitors and projectors used for the playing of retro games!

>Try to keep it /vr/-related: Nothing past 5th gen(+Dreamcast). Slight OT might be okay if related to CRTs (E.G. 16:9 compatible models, flatscreens, etc.) Systems with backwards compatibility are also pretty safe territory, assuming you're focusing on the older games. PC CRTs are also a-ok.
>Produce OC! Get out your real cameras and take beautiful pictures of your CRTs displaying recognizable characters with the kind of beautiful accuracy that brings tears to the eyes of young and old alike! If you take 100 photos, at least one of them will turn out alright! (maybe)
>Try to be as detailed as possible when asking info on a specific model. As always, google is your friend, and we are your friends with benefits. Older archived threads aren't a bad place to look either.
>Share appreciation for others choice of technology and personal philosophy of gaming. As always show courtesy in your discussion and moderate yourselves first.

Discussion of video processing and scaling devices is okay, but try to keep the focus on CRTs and CRT accessories

CRT Pastebin (WIP): http://pastebin.com/1Ri5TS3x
S-Video Pasta: http://pastebin.com/rH2h6C7W
Thread Survey: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1PhdXJYwA8xModrTV1Yt-i1tvNgwiagpeBx0m_xNIVtc/viewform?edit_requested=true&fbzx=9009823977812318933
>>
File: IMG_2191.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2191.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
Finally got bnc/phono adapters I ordered.

fake /vr/ as it's from garou densetsu battle archives 2
>>
File: IMG_2198.jpg (2MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2198.jpg
2MB, 4000x3000px
the angled shot everyone seem to love
>>
File: IMG_2201.jpg (2MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2201.jpg
2MB, 4000x3000px
and for that guy on previous thread, look at all this space wasted if I don't use angled adapters
>>
File: myroom-new-2.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
myroom-new-2.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
My room, another pic
>>
>>2842345
Looks like around 1-2, maybe 3 inches.

For comparison, the back of the plastic tube cover part of my PVM is _6_ inches away from the wall and it doesn't have to sit on the floor. I just move the stand forward a little.

My entire room is pictured here except my bed, which I sat on to take the photo. It's cramped but those 6 inches are okay to lose for me.
(pic in >>2842372 )
>>
>>2842374
>for me.
FOR YOU
>>
>>2842379
Okay, show me why you can't possibly manage a full 5 inches of space between your wall and your monitor.
>>
>>2842372
Nice Model M, kiddo. Is that a silver label?
>>
>>2842382
Silver label, part no. 1386303. The _original_ part number for Model M's. :)

I have the 3161 terminal it came with, too, but it died a couple months ago and I haven't fixed it yet.
>>
File: keyboard1.jpg (4MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
keyboard1.jpg
4MB, 4608x3456px
>>2842382
>>2842385
older close-up pic from when my desk was clean
>>
>>2842395
Because I fucked your mom and you contribute nothing.
>>
>>2842397
>Because I fucked your mom

Fucking kids...
>>
>>2842403
>fucking kids...
exactly.
>>
File: 420706.sony-pvm.jpg (38KB, 485x455px) Image search: [Google]
420706.sony-pvm.jpg
38KB, 485x455px
>>2842379
Speaking of, after years of searching, I finally came across a good PVM. A 20M4U, just an hour away from home, and completely FREE. I didn't want to believe the miracle stories, but apparently it does happen. Going to pick it up Thursday, but I probably won't have any time to hook it up and play until next week. Ah well.
>>
>>2842380
no. I just want to not lose space.
>>
>>2842413
>A 20M4U, just an hour away from home, and completely FREE. I didn't want to believe the miracle stories, but apparently it does happen.
Yeah, they do happen.
Sorry whatever anon it is that gets upset.
>free 20L5

Also, I hope you're going to mod your console instead of waiting for shipping on SCART cables you don't need from the UK.
>>
>>2842372
where's the remote for your bvm?

get a garbage plate yet? rochester staple
>>
>>2842420
>Yeah, they do happen.
>Sorry whatever anon it is that gets upset.
Not him, but it did take me like, three fucking years, and I only happened to notice the listing within 20 minutes of it being posted. Seller told me I was the first of a flood of emails asking about it. So really, I just got lucky. This is a great deal, but really I wish I had just paid 300 bucks for one three years ago. I had basically just given up and was only looking for one on a whim.

>Also, I hope you're going to mod your console instead of waiting for shipping on SCART cables you don't need from the UK.
I'm not great at soldering and don't really wanna deal with it. Probably just going to buy the cables. I saw your posts in the last thread. Why are you on a crusade about this.

I might consider it, but I'd need a nice, in-depth guide, and probably some more practice soldering. I'm bretty gud with drilling holes, though.
>>
>>2842270

This thread is proof that /vr/ shouldn't exist.
>>
File: controls1.jpg (2MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
controls1.jpg
2MB, 4608x3456px
>>2842425
That's a PVM-20L5, not a BVM, so it doesn't require a remote, though there are ports for them on the back panel. The buttons on the newer PVM's (all the L* series AFAICT) are buttons on the sides of the display. A tiny bit irritating to change between component and composite by going into the menus instead of having a dedicated switch like the older model I had, but still really nice. You can disable the light that illuminates the buttons, to hide them while in use.

Quickly used GIMP to make the controls brighter in this pic, so you can kind of see them. That big square at the top right turns the lights off.

And yeah, I've had one.
>>
>>2842420
>free 20l5 person is also the militant console modder

How did I fucking know. You are obnoxious no matter what you're doing.
>>
File: snes to bnc 4mb.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
snes to bnc 4mb.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
>>2842432
pussyyyy.
:p

Sorry. When i got my PVM though, I wanted to try it out badly enough that I added jacks to my SNES myself, because fuck spending $40 and waiting weeks for shipping from the other side of the atlantic.

The AV port is pretty nice and big for soldering. It's through-hole, so it's the easiest kind. I'd recommend trying something on a prototyping board before doing it on your system, just enough that you know what to do if you make a solder bridge or something. Even if you don't know what exactly to do, you can get away with smacking it off the board while it's still in liquid form, or (preferably) using soldering wick to pull excess off.

You can get good wires by stripping cat5 cable. I posted pics last thread of how to add RCA jacks for RGB to the SNES and the genesis. The genesis is easier to pull RGB off of but requires an IC to get a good sync signal out of it. The 74LS08 and 74HC08 are available at places like radio shack if you still have one open near you, or for much cheaper online (not from the UK, though, so you could get it in 1 to 3 days on digikey).

SNES diagram:
>>2841521

Genesis diagram:
>>2841507

You can get RCA to BNC adapters locally where I am from a hobby shop or the place that replaced the radio shack here (also a hobby shop of sorts).

alternately, I once ran out of BNC adapters and until I was able to go out and buy another I used probes from my multimeter to connect to the BNC jack in question.

...Anyway, if you don't want to do that (which I'll accept very grudgingly), you can at least try out s-video in the meantime if you have the right cable. I did, and maybe you do too, IDK. I think the 20M4U has a S-video connector.

>>2842448
maybe you knew because I've said it before, and shown pictures of my consoles with RCA jacks while talking about my PVM?
>>
File: genesis soldering.jpg (2MB, 3420x2592px) Image search: [Google]
genesis soldering.jpg
2MB, 3420x2592px
>>2842473
bigger version of the pic of genesis soldering
>>
>>2842473
>pussyyyy.
>:p
>>2842448 is right, you are obnoxious.
But thanks for the info. I assume I can buy RCA out jacks at a radio shack? Maybe? Last time I went there for actual electrical parts, I was sorely disappointed.
>>
File: genesis-csync-rca.jpg (1MB, 4608x2364px) Image search: [Google]
genesis-csync-rca.jpg
1MB, 4608x2364px
>>2842514
Yeah, they have a disappointing selection but last time I went they still sold solderable female RCA jacks. From what I'm seeing they don't sell ones that aren't gold plated anymore (at least, not on their website), but they do sell gold plated panel mount phono (RCA) jacks, which are what you want, possibly sans the gold plating, though the only thing gold will hurt is your wallet.

I've been stealing jacks from a dead A/V receiver for a while now (it's a goldmine for them), but the radioshack ones work better and are actually meant for this kind of work. It means you don't have to hot glue the jacks down like I do, because they have a tether and nut to hold them in place.
>>
>>2842514
I said 'pussy' because last thread that was the term I used for people who were too worried about messing up to even try a console mod. You are highly unlikely to ruin anything by soldering to the base of the AV connector, though.

Sorry for calling you a pussy, in any case. I hope you do try it eventually on some console.
>>
Are virtual console n64 games actually rendered in 480p? Or is it just linedoubled?
>>
>>2842626
Rendered at actual 480p, judging by sight. Much sharper than actual n64 output
>>
>>2842491
>>2842529
Why did you use hot glue? I can tell you're not confident in your soldering. You'll get better though anon, don't worry.

Ganbatte!
>>
>>2842345
Ayyy, I love those 90° angle bncs. Get to save some space and preserve my cables without jaming my 14l5 against the wall
>>
>>2841597
Well I thought it was some sort of monitor as it was cube shaped and had handles on the top
>>
File: modglue.jpg (3MB, 4392x3456px) Image search: [Google]
modglue.jpg
3MB, 4392x3456px
>>2842702
>Why did you use hot glue? I can tell you're not confident in your soldering.
>I can tell you're not confident in your soldering.

I've added headphone jacks to GBA SP's using surface mount. I am quite confident, thank you very much.

You're wrong.
If I weren't confident in my soldering I'd have smeared glue all over the actual genesis PCB like Drakon. I did this >>2842491 .

No, I used hot glue for two reasons:
1) Most importantly, these are not panel mount RCA jacks. They are harvested from an AV receiver. They do not have tethers or any other way to secure to the shell of the console. Pic related. Hot glue fastens it to the case. The little IC next to the RCA jacks would be floating and could certainly short to the RF shield if left unchecked. the hot glue holds it in place. The wires all had to stay together to avoid spreading out and covering up the cartridge slot when closing up the console, so I put some hot glue on the wires there.

2) The shielding on the genesis gets very close to the case and I was not sure if I could put it all back together without shorting the top shielding to the RCA jacks. The hot glue also acted as a buffer zone in case that were to occur. See pic. It's very little clearance.

Stop making assumptions that I don't know what I'm doing, just because one asshole jizzes all over his PCB's when he does mods.
>>
>>2842746
Take a pic. I may be wrong.
>>
>>2842413
>>2842420
Fuck the both of you.

Fuck you with a roll of quarters.
>>
>>2842529
>though the only thing gold will hurt is your wallet.
Anything from Radio Shack will hurt your wallet. Sure, they're nice for convenience, but only that.

It's a shame 6 of that RCA 8 block are sitting unused in that sync stripper. Need to think of something else I can use that case for.
>>
>>2842702
>>2842529
>>2842891
Note that on my SNES, where I actually had clearance to work in, I used only the minimum hot glue necessary to secure the jacks.

>>2842904
That's not a sync stripper. It's just a 74LS08 (AND gate TTL logic chip). The RGB encoder of the genesis fades to black if there's too much draw on the TTL sync line, so I connected it through an AND gate to 'buffer' the signal. I do not even touch composite video as a source of a sync signal here, I go straight to the source.

See >>2841507. Can't re-post the diagram until the old thread 404's.
>>
File: note the lack of hot glue.jpg (4MB, 4295x5201px) Image search: [Google]
note the lack of hot glue.jpg
4MB, 4295x5201px
>>2842910
forgot pic
>>
>>2842904
True. But now that it's gold, it hurts even more!
>>
File: 102_1365.jpg (1MB, 3280x2460px) Image search: [Google]
102_1365.jpg
1MB, 3280x2460px
>>2842910
I was speaking on something of my own, that happens to some stuff from Radio Shack. You've already explained what you did more than thoroughly.

Thinking about it now, I might just grab my dremel and see if I can cut the panel down., maybe move it into a smaller container.
>>
>>2842939
YPbPr to RGB or RGB to YPbPr come to mind since you have six jacks and the used ones already provide sync.
>>
File: rgb to ypbpr 2.jpg (43KB, 640x432px) Image search: [Google]
rgb to ypbpr 2.jpg
43KB, 640x432px
>>2842942
forgot a schematic.

The BA7230LS is still findable on ebay. I'm not sure if it's meant to drive a TV, but since someone made this circuit and claims it works, I think your odds of success are high.
>>
>>2842948
To clarify, I think in this circuit the transistors on the outputs are being used to amplify them so they can be used to drive a TV.
>>
File: DSC01500s.jpg (4MB, 5472x3648px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01500s.jpg
4MB, 5472x3648px
>>2842942
>>2842948
That's actually one of the things I had in mind when I ended up having so many unused connectors. Certainly have more than enough room in there. I believe the
>Ace
Pretty sure I saw the thread for that; Might have to check it out.

RGB to YUV, that is; Don't have a need to put together a YPbPr to RGB one at this point. The KD-CTCA3 I bought a week or so ago seems to work wonderfully from what little I've used it.
Not retro, again. Might bring the Wii up there later.
>>
>>2842534
bro, you remind me of me. Do you mind me asking your age? I know you're in college, and I'm out of college so we're probably like ten years apart, but let's talk mods. Shoot me an email itsthatguyonvr at gmail
>>
File: 52771-Silent_Hill_(E)-1.jpg (48KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
52771-Silent_Hill_(E)-1.jpg
48KB, 640x640px
I'm about to to play the first Silent Hill on a PS2 slim because my friend wanted his PSone back. Thing is, I wasn't really into CRTs, Hz, resolution and all that stuff back when I played it on my friend's PSone, I just played it on a CRT but didn't really gave a fuck bout how it looked.

So now I'm playing it on the PS2 through a CRT and I'm feeling some differences.

When you're outside, the objects far from you show up differently than how I remember, I can notice the exact moment when the object pops up, I remember this didn't happened on the PSone, on the PSone the objects really felt like they were appearing progressively because of the fog, maybe it's just me.

I'm also noticing that it's running on 240p when I'm on the gameplay, but it switches to 480i when I go to the inventory. Does this also happen when you play it on a PSone? can someone pls check, I'd appreciate it.
>>
>free 20l5 person is also the militant console modder

haha this is so good
>>
File: Panorama Cotton.webm (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Panorama Cotton.webm
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>2843018
>When you're outside, the objects far from you show up differently than how I remember, I can notice the exact moment when the object pops up, I remember this didn't happened on the PSone, on the PSone the objects really felt like they were appearing progressively because of the fog, maybe it's just me.
Possibly something having to do with texture filtering?

>but it switches to 480i when I go to the inventory. Does this also happen when you play it on a PSone?
Based solely upon the number of times I've seen it mentioned when talking about upscalers, I'm going to say yes.
>>
>>2843018

I think that might be a PS2 upscaling issue. Might be how the PS2 is emulating things. Certainly correct me if I'm wrong but that doesn't sound like a CRT issue as much as a processor issue.
>>
> Have 17" Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 87TXM
> Have no room to set it up to be used solely for Dreamcast games
> It sits abandoned in the corner as a result

I like CRT threads because they remind me what it's like
>>
I have a BVM-20F1U and it doesnt support 480p, but has 900 tv lines, and does 525lines at 60hz interlaced.

I also have a BVM-1911 which had 900 tv lines and does 525lines at 60hz interlaced.

My question is why would the BVM-1911 support 480p but the BVM-20F1U doesnt? Also the BVM-1911 is older. It doesnt make sense...
>>
>>2842391
How did you get that terminal keyboard to work on pc?
>>
>>2843341
swapped in a PC compatible model M controller board
>>
So, are flat screen Trinitrons any good? Not WEGA's but just regualr old Trinitrons
>>
>>2842438
>>2843282
toplel autists

>>2842448
>>2843031
I know, I kinda wish he'd take every second thread off.

>>2843283
>why would the BVM-1911 support 480p
err, it doesn't.
>BVM-1911 which had 900 tv lines and does 525lines at 60hz **interlaced**
That's total lines in the modeline, is it? Cos That set won't handle 480p for goddamn sure as mustard.

Did you get the key cut, btw?
>>
>>2843483
>That's total lines in the modeline, is it?
It might just be that it'll sync higher than NTSC (15.7KhZ) and more like an arcade monitor (16.2kHz). My BVM-2010P will, where my PVM-2043 will only go to about 16.1kHz.

I'm still convinced they won't go near 480p though.
>>
File: BNC_connector_50_ohm_male[1].jpg (236KB, 1446x1172px) Image search: [Google]
BNC_connector_50_ohm_male[1].jpg
236KB, 1446x1172px
Someone crash course me on BNC? I have the same monitor as >>2843207 and I have never used that connector before.

If I wanted to feed a component signal from my PS2 into the monitor I would just need component to BNC adapters, right?

I don't own a TV right now, so if I want to play PS1/PS2 games on actual hardware I have to run them through a component cable to the capture card on my PC, and that adds latency and doesn't look too great on my LED monitors.
>>
>>2843495
on pc monitors bnc is just another way to connect, you still need to feed it compatible signal (RGBHV).
>>
>>2843512

Ok, I found the 87TXM listed in a compatibility list for the PS2 Linux Kit, which means it supports sync on green, so I should be able to throw component to BNC adapters together and hook the PS2 up to it.

All I would need would be three RCA female to BNC male adapters, preferably ones that aren't ridiculously expensive.

Cool.
>>
>>2843520
it won't work with games
>>
>>2843523

Why not?
>>
>>2843526
because linux kit enables vga mode.
games don't
>>
>>2843523
>>2843526

It will work with games, that person doesn't know what they are talking about
>>
File: man_thinking.jpg (54KB, 613x574px) Image search: [Google]
man_thinking.jpg
54KB, 613x574px
a lil off-topic

does anyone know what's the average framerate of Half-Life for the PS2? does it reach 60fps or is it locked at 30?
>>
File: howarddjs.jpg (80KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
howarddjs.jpg
80KB, 600x450px
>>2842270
Using your pic as my wallpaper atm, nicely done!
>>
>>2842372
Holy shit, is that RIT?
>>
>>2843610
don't have it but 60 fps is highly unlikely
>>
>>2843718
Aw gee thanks. I took it with my galaxy s6 edge in a well lit room too, free hand.

I need to get a nice camera.
>>
>>2843725
That's what I thought, he said he's in Rochester. I haven't been in their dorms in a few years though.
Are you in Rochester too? I know there's a few of us.
>>
>>2843732
I'm a 2nd year at RIT. I'm planning on bringing some retro consoles to EGS tonight.
>>
>>2843819
I'm not in EGS (takes too much time) and don't remember when it meets. Also my only TV weighs 70 lbs... I have a famicom and super famicom though.
>>
>>2843819
>>2843880
Get a fucking room, rump rangers.
>>
>>2843942
>contributing nothing to thread while bitching about other people not contributing to the thread
>>
Anyone else here have a WEGA? It's my only CRT but I have nowhere to set it up, and any fixtures they sell at like Wal-Mart are made for flat panel tv's, so they're too small for it.
Any tips for my hundred lb beast?
>>
>>2844002
Put it on a dresser.
>>
>>2843545
It'll work with some games; Specifically ones that support progressive scan.
Again, so long as it supports S-o-G and that you can manage to get it to boot into 480p mode blindly. You need to make sure it's in RGB color mode, otherwise the picture will come out as only green if at all.
>>
>>2843483
Ive seen on reddit, as well as 2 other unnamed( i dont remember their names) forums, that people have put the BVM1911 in a list of of 480p compatible monitors thats why I wasnt understanding why they would if the 20f1u handles the same perimeters.

Also I found a guy who actually has a few keys so i bought 2 but they somehow must have got lost in the mail I called and the company is trying to figure it out.
>>
>>2843483
Would it be possible that is supports 480p at 30hz? I dont quite understand the whole thing to be honest. Fields vs frames, Ive looked into for about 30 minutes last night.
>>
File: IMG_0409.jpg (4MB, 3888x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0409.jpg
4MB, 3888x2592px
Taking some pics of my good 14L5
>>
File: IMG_0406.jpg (2MB, 2916x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0406.jpg
2MB, 2916x1944px
>>2844028
better grid pattern, im totally fine not adjusting convergence on this one.
>>
>>2844031
>>2844028

any requests for games while im on?
>>
>>2843960
>contributing nothing to the thread while bitching about other people not contributing to the thread while bitching about other people not contributing to the thread
>>
>>2844002
How big? 32 inches? 36? Might want to hit up craigslists. A lot of those had stands that originally came with them. Might get lucky and find one by itself. Otherwise, yeah, it's getting hard to find any TV stands deep/sturdy enough to handle a big CRT anymore. Might want to specifically look for corner stands, since they tend to be bigger than the ones that are just supposed to sit flush against a wall.
>>
>>2843731
What monitor?
>>
>>2844040
touché.

>>2844031
I'd agree, that one looks very nice. No convergence necessary. Unless near the corners the blue kind of bleeds off to the side like my 20L5 did.
>>
File: Robuttnik.webm (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Robuttnik.webm
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>2844018
Two fields make up a single frame. While the TV is refreshing at (approximately) 60hz, the video feed itself is going at ~30fps, as it needs 2 refreshes to make up a single frame of video.This is why cutting the resolution in half (getting a full frame into each field) allows you to get 60fps in 240p.
While halving the refresh rate would hypothetically give you enough time to draw an entire fullsized frame per pass, the circuitry inside the monitor is most certainly not setup to do such a thing and the strobing effect you'd get from such a low refresh rate would be absolutely nauseating.

tl;dr
No
>>
>>2844153

actually thats what mine does, this was taken from the bottom middle, but in the bottom right and the top left you get the sliiiiightest bleed of blue, but its no where near enough to bother me.

waiting for a day my dad will be free to help me adjust the other one that bleeds green and blue everywhere
>>
>>2844053
BVM-D20F1U
>>
File: small-convergence.jpg (215KB, 922x691px) Image search: [Google]
small-convergence.jpg
215KB, 922x691px
>>2844190
I should clarify it wasn't actually the corners on mine. It was the entire left hand side of the screen.

It has since been fixed by me. I had to adjust the yoke to get it good.

Your dad work with CRT's or something? Or are you 12? (if you are 12, you're underage and enjoy your ban)
>>
>>2844206
I'm 21 but my dad's an electrician and I don't have a hueg mirror to put in front so i can see how well the grid is being fixed.
>>
File: T-Rex.jpg (105KB, 696x328px) Image search: [Google]
T-Rex.jpg
105KB, 696x328px
>>2844210
Oh, please. You don't need a mirror. Reach in from the front.

Unless you have T-rex arms.
>>
>>2842891
You've used glue to bundle cables together too though, that's completely unnecessary.
>>
File: 20151209_184523_HDR.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20151209_184523_HDR.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
HDR makes some pretty intredasting pics
>>
>>2844298
>this is where I keep my CRTs and the body parts of my victims
>>
>>2844159
Okay thanks. I still dont understand why a bunch of different forums and a few posts on reddit claim the BVM-1911 is 480p capable then... Kind of a wasted purchase for me.
>>
>>2844259
Except that if you actually learned to read, you'd read why I bundled the cables with glue in that post. It's so the cables don't stray out over the cartridge slot when I put it together. I got tired of them doing it every single time I closed my console and glued them together.
>>
>>2844346
On top if this why would both an 800 tvl and 900 tvl monitor both have outputs of 525lines at 60hz interlaced. Whats the point of 100 extra lines on the screen if the maximum "resolution" remains the same.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-09-17-08-00-1.png (299KB, 1440x1980px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-09-17-08-00-1.png
299KB, 1440x1980px
This is the list of monitors that are 480p capable that see pop up on a bunch of forums and reddit threads.

Is the BVM-1911 on there by mistake then? Im waiting on keys to be able to properly check mine.
>>
>>2844339
pretty much. There's another one on the left, a 29" FD. Normally a friend takes it, and hopefuly those 2 will find a new home soon. I might try to redo convergence, they show some blurryness
>>
>>2844346
If you don't want it and will give it free, I'll take it.
:3
>>
>>2844395
A for effort. Haha
>>
>>2844389
Check with a DVD player and YPbPr. Even if you don't have YPbPr inputs on your BVM, plug Y into the sync input and if it can sync to it you have 480p capability.

You'll have to set your DVD player to output 480p over component instead of 480i first, though.

>>2844359
'lines' are the horizontally drawn lines, TVL is how many distinct colors can be drawn on any one of those lines.
>>
>>2844409
I'm serious, I want to compare a BVM to my PVM-20L5 but don't want to pay top dollar. I'd buy it cheap too.

Also, try what >>2844413 said. It should let you know if you can use 480p.
>>
>>2844351
Well yeah okay. I'm not particularly bothered, I'd probably just have used something a little tidier like a cable tie or some leccy tape.

I'll withdraw my previous criticism, carry on Anon.
>>
>>2844434
I'd have used cable ties too, but I'm fresh out after trying to fix my horrible cable management behind my monitor.
>>
>>2844413
Without a picture, what will plugging something into the sync input do? Without being able to get into the drawer wouldn't it be better to plug the Y line into the "A" input?

>>2844389
I reckon it's a misprint, yeah. I'd love to find out it's not though, as my set is very similar, but at that age it'd surely have separate inputs for H-Sync and V-Sync if it was also intended for PC use.
>>
>>2844413
I cant access the cabinet drawer yet waiting on a key. The inputs arent setup properly so I cant test anything until I get into the cabinet
>>
>>2844440
I don't have a BVM so I don't know what is in the drawer. What is the 'A' input for?

My PVM-20L5 at least can sync to composite video signals, and the 'Y' connector is essentially a black and white composite signal.

If you have YPbPr input lines, use them.
>>
14l5 convergence anon here

i fucked it up when trying to cut the paint that holds the rings together, now i cant reach to pull back what i believe is the blue ring.
>>
>>2843018

If you're on a crt its definitely your ps2. Not that backwards compatibility has anything to do with it but I read ps2 doesn't have perfect bc.

sH on my ps1 through rgb 240p on my pvmeme does not suffer from that stupid bullshit. This is also why xrgb is dog shit.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-09-17-32-57.png (891KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-09-17-32-57.png
891KB, 1440x2560px
>>2844413
So when it says the monitor has 900 TV lines(resolution at center of picture) what does that mean/correlate to?
>>
Hey /vr/ how do you calibrate your PVM for different consoles with different resolutions ie. 240p nes, 192 sms and 480i ps2?
>>
>>2844483
I adjusted my display based around a true 240p signal. Seems like a pretty neutral choice IMO.
>>
File: tv.png (2MB, 1683x963px) Image search: [Google]
tv.png
2MB, 1683x963px
i fucked it up guys
>>
File: Barney-Stinson[1].png (2MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Barney-Stinson[1].png
2MB, 1024x768px
I think we can all agree plasmas are better for low light, but LCDs are better for games and the CRTs have the truest blacks so if you want a really crisp contrast ratio The CRT's deep-pixel cell structure produces a resolution you just can't match with an LCD.
>>
File: IMG_0426.jpg (3MB, 5184x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0426.jpg
3MB, 5184x3456px
>>2844546
anyway heres a shot of the internals
>>
File: IMG_0435.jpg (3MB, 5184x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0435.jpg
3MB, 5184x3456px
>>2844556
>>2844546

screw you guys who said it was easy, theres so much shit in the way of the rings
>>
>>2844048
It's a 27 inch but since it's widescreen it's 33" wide and maybe 20" deep at 98lbs
>>
>>2844440
You could run 0.7 volts through the red/green/blue jacks with a battery and resistor voltage divider if you really wanted colors on the screen. If the screen fills with whatever color you hooked the battery to, you're good. If your monitor has an OSD you could see if the OSD was still visible, alternatively.
>>2844443

>>2844483
You don't. You find a setting that looks good for all three.
>>
File: 1449638712396[1].jpg (55KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1449638712396[1].jpg
55KB, 640x480px
Here's a question I've thought about from time to time:

What is the upper limit for resolution and image quality on a typical 15khz monitor?

We all know 640x480 is not Standard Definition. That is a range of resolutions, but one of the higher ones is 720x576i@60hz with 16 lines of horizontal blanking.

However, it maybe possible to exceed this with a PC. What will happen when the signal is sent to the monitor? I believe this is related to the pixel clock isn't it? Could one get away with higher frequencies? 800x576? Can one "overclock" a good CRT?

As an aside, I download "SD" rips of old television shows sometimes and they're almost always in 640x480. It's a loss of 8% in resolution right off :/

>sorry for repost
>>
File: 1449639061575[1].jpg (41KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1449639061575[1].jpg
41KB, 640x480px
If you look at the spec sheets for some professional CRTs which are typically used for low resolution gaming they often list impressive capabilities in resolution

Like here: http://www.broadcaststore.com/store/model_detail.cfm?id=665632

>System: 525 lines 60 fields or 625 lines 50 fields interlace

I'm going to guess 25 of those lines are used for blanking. So you could run 800x600i. I used to do this one one of my old Trinitrons and used 720/1080p video as source material. It looked really nice.
>>
>>2844546
were you
>>2844031
?

>>2844556
>>2844559
I said it was impossible to ruin a TV doing it. I also said it took a long time. You DID mark where the rings were before you started, right?

You can't permanently ruin it. It always gets worse before it gets better, but work on it long enough and it will eventually come together. It just takes lots of time. It is not difficult.

Also, I don't see any rings in that first picture. What's it there for?

>>2844550
WHY are plasmas better than CRT's for low light?

>>2844576
I answered this last thread.
>We all know 640x480 is not Standard Definition. That is a range of resolutions, but one of the higher ones is 720x576i@60hz with 16 lines of horizontal blanking.

>However, it maybe possible to exceed this with a PC. What will happen when the signal is sent to the monitor?

If you have a monitor that has 'reduced vertical blanking', yes, it'll work.
>>
File: 20l5-before.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
20l5-before.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
>>2844582
>>2844559
>>2844556
>>2844546
P.S.
I also removed the controller board on one side of the CRT temporarily when I did this. Not all the wires came off so I just moved it off to the side while I worked,

Here's what mine looked like before I did anything to it.
>>
>>2844582
I was that guy, but that was my GOOD 14L5. looks like the other thread just died so i cant show the bad 14L5 convergence.

the rings have a white paint strip market to where they originally were. first picture isnt for anything really. the rings are behind the red wire that goes to the tube
>>2844587
im really not comfortable working with HV stuff, i bit the bullet and took it to a repair store, gonna get it back tomorrow.
>>
File: plaz.jpg (140KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
plaz.jpg
140KB, 960x540px
>>2844582
>WHY are plasmas better than CRT's for low light?
It was just a line I overheard while my wife was watching How I Met Your Mother and it starting with that statement immediately perked my ears up since if anything plasma is brighter with better intensity. Maybe the writer was talking about glare?

I recently put up a 60" plasma in the living room for Christmas and not only did the actual glass make it devastatingly heavy to hoist up to the height I'm accustomed, the glare is shocking.
>>
>>2844596
So... you wimped out?

Oh well. I'm just suprised there's still somewhere that services CRT's near you.

The high voltage isn't near the neck, it's under that giant rubber cap on the tube and the flyback transformer it attaches to.
>>
>>2844603
I'd need to hear the complete quote. Did they actually say anything comparing it to CRT's?

And a FYI for you:
In lower light you want contrast turned lower so it doesn't stress your eyes.
>>
>>2844608
Yeah, I agree Plasma is better for situations with more ambient light, other than the glare factor. Basically the entire exchange seemed like total made-up bullshit to the point I had to post it.

The gag is Barney is so frustrated over Ted fucking Robin that he's been smashing old TVs in the alley behind the bar but he smashes all of them so he has to buy more and that's the conversation he has with the guy at the store. He goes with the CRT and then it just cuts right to him smashing it.
>>
>>2844606
Yes, yes I did. Theres a few stores, one literally down the street from me who supposedly repairs CRTs, but when I went there a few months ago they didnt know what i meant by CRT.

So the only lethal part is the actual tube?
I spent hours looking up shit for tutorials or boards for solid material or pictures but wasnt left with much.

supporting a local tv repair store is cool i guess though.
>>
>>2844612
I never SAID plasma was better for more ambient light.

I merely said you want less light in the dark.
>>
File: 1381118760567.jpg (29KB, 550x412px) Image search: [Google]
1381118760567.jpg
29KB, 550x412px
Is there a cheap way to convert VGA to Component (ypbpr 480i) ??

what about RGB?

also I dont' know a shit about SCART,
I'm south american, and all my stuff is NTSC
>>
>>2844613
there are capacitors on the main board that are dangerous, and I wouldn't go poking my fingers where they don't belong, but the yoke runs on waaay less than kilovolts. The flyback transformer the tube's fat red cable goes to is another dangerous part because it's what actually generates the voltage.
>>
>>2844603

>put up a 60" plasma in the living room for Christmas

America <3
>>
>>2844615
VGA is RGB. Just saying.
>>
>>2844617
As an american, my 20L5 is my only TV. That said, 60" plasmas are about as 'Murican as F-150 pickup trucks and cheeseburgers.
>>
>>2844616
Reading shit like that makes me feel ok for sending it to someone else. I'd feel comfortable if there was more documentation on disasembly videos like their are laptops.

as they say hindsight is always 20/20 and looking back i should have just left it since i use that one primarily as a travel tv for 31-45khz games.
>>
>>2844614
...and LCDs put out less light than plasmas, especially in the mid-to-late 2000s. You mad about something bro?
>>
>>2844615
Extron will do it.

Could nigger rig it and just solder the sync too. Really shitty though.
>>2844619
It's really not.
>>
>>2844623
>>2844617
I only paid $199 for it too.
>>
>>2844627
>Extron will do it.
Extron also costs more than a PVM-20L5.
>>
>>2844631
talking about PVM, those shit doesn't exist in south america, I believe.

I just want to play everything on my sony trinitron via component.

Also, most pvm are 14" or dunno 17".
I prefer bigger screens.
>>
>>2844627
>VGA's really not RGB
Oh my god. My sides.

http://www.xess.com/appnotes/vga.pdf

"There are three signals -- red, green, and blue -- that send color information to a VGA monitor. These three signals each drive an electron gun that emits electrons which paint one primary color at a point on the monitor screen. ********Analog levels between 0 (completely dark) and 0.7 V (maximum brightness) on these control lines tell the monitor what intensities of these three primary colors to combine to make the color of a dot (or pixel) on the monitor’s screen.********"
>>
>>2844647
Ignore that, missed the 'i use a trinitron' part.

>>2844640
You believe wrong. Sony sold PVM's worldwide.

>most pvm are 14" or dunno 17".
There are no 17" PVM's I have _EVER_ seen. Most are 14 or 20 inches. There are 25 inch sets out there, and the largest I've ever heard of is a 35 inch PVM.
>>
>>2844627
>It's really not.
Wow you better alert all those guys laboring to get 15khz signals out of VGA ports that they're wasting their time!
>>
>>2844625
Not a part of this conversation, but I think you just read something wrong. He said that plasma was better for low-light. You "agreed" while saying the opposite.
>>
>>2844625
When did I even MENTION LCD's?
>>
File: youshouldntletpoetslietoyou.webm (3MB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
youshouldntletpoetslietoyou.webm
3MB, 1000x750px
>>2842270
>>
>>2844643

not the other guy but if this is the case why can't you just run a vga->scart to a TV ? is there a difference in scart signal voltage than vga rgb ?
>>
File: 1369322504524.png (148KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1369322504524.png
148KB, 300x300px
thanks Windows vista/7/8/10
thanks HDCP
thanks Nvidia drivers

GPU's tv-out is broken.
>>
>>2844652
>>2844643
Different syncs you underageb& little shits.
>>
File: DSCF6146.jpg (4MB, 3456x2592px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF6146.jpg
4MB, 3456x2592px
>>2844687
A key phrase that will help you. VGA is RGB but RGB is NOT always VGA.

In this case, RGBS or RGsB (connection types required on a PVM/BVM-type display) =/= RGBHV (VGA) since the sync on the latter is split.

Some but not all monitors will however be able to accept VGA either through dedicated H/V Sync ports (I know the NEC XMs have this) or potentially connective Hsync to Csync.
>>
>>2844704
>RGB is only RGB below 30khz
>>
>>2844718
The guy was talking about RGBs and VGA.

Back track harder, child.
>>
>>2844728
"VGA is RGB" was the original statement, and there is still nothing wrong about it.
>>
>>2844663
The problem is that he's reading
>Plasmas are better fow low-light... than CRTs
Which is only half-implied even by the HIMYM quote that I already readily acknowledged was solid nonsense. Then he was too mad to even notice my little PVM monitor in the pic I posted, balanced tastefully with a vintage 80s KVM that you can see a tiny bit of peeking out.

I have a 20" PVM in the basement as well as a CRT projector that can do 1024x768@60khz. If there were such a beast as a 60" 1920x1080 120khz CRT and I had a place to stand and a lever long enough I may have considered it in place of the plasma even though it would have been so deep I wouldn't have anywhere to park my truck.

But in the real world, for a very large display in the ambient light levels of my living room the plasma definitely beats the CRT projector
>>
>>2844679
source?
>>
>>2844740
RGB referring to RGBS is not RGBHV, Same with RGsB.

Sorry kiddo. Maybe try to move the goal posts some more.
>>
>>2844752
>RGB referring to RGBS
>moving the goalposts
>>
>>2844714
You're still not quite right.

All RGB is 'VGA' and all VGA is 'RGB', but not all VGA monitors support 15khz sync rates. H/V sync can be combined to composite sync and composite sync can be split to H/V sync, but VGA monitors usually operate at 31khz for higher vertical resolutions than 15khz TV's and TV-style RGB monitors.
>>
does the NTSC super nintendo "JR." have native S-video Support?

pastebin said nothing about snes JR.
>>
>>2844756
That's what the poster said not me. Try harder or better yet just head on back to /v/.
>>2844757
That's incorrect. HV and composite sync aren't interchangeable.
>>
>>2844774
VGA is not RGsB
VGA is not RGBS

RGsB is RGB
RGBS is RGB
VGA is RGB

Tell me why "VGA is RGB" is wrong. That is the only statement you need to be concerned with. Not "VGA is RGBS", which nobody said.
>>
>>2844784
Read the guy's post.
>>
>>2844792

>>2844619
>VGA is RGB. Just saying.

>>2844627
>It's really not.

What did I miss?
>>
>>2844802
Look farther up the post chain.

If you want to be autistic about it VGA is not RGB, It's RGBHV,
>>
>>2844806
The issue is that saying "VGA is not RGB" is objectively wrong, and that "VGA is RGB" might be misleading in certain contexts, but is objectively correct on its own.
>>
>>2844810
Do you not know what objectively means?
VGA us not RGB. It's RGBHV.
>>
>>2844815
RGB is a broad term that includes a bunch of types of video, including VGA. The sync is implied for whatever context it is used in.

There aren't many times you would use RGB to just refer to color signals without sync.
>>
holy shit what did i start
>>
>>2844827
dunno man, I just wanted to know how to connect wires to my tv
>>
>>2844448
For that BVM:
Line A is a region-specific composite input.
Line B is one of several things; either: A region-specific composite input, RGB, or YPbPr (and the test input which i think is basically composite.)

The Line A/Line B switch is on the front panel, but Line B's function can only be changed from within the drawer.

Thus he can probably use Y on Line A for a B&W image. if it takes 480p that should work.
>>
>>2844820
All video outside of the weird RGBY experiments is RGB.
>>
>>2844771
No it doesn't.
>>
>>2844841
put that in pastebin then.
>>
>>2844838

NTSC signals are luma and chroma. They don't have individual RGB channels.
>>
>>2844846
Do you not know how TVs display an image? They only use 3 colors.

All video is RGB.
>>
>>2844848
in light, all color together are white.

so black and white TV are, color TV's too.
>>
>>2844462
TVL or T V Lines, is the horizontal resolution (clarity). When you look closely at the screen when displaying an image, you can see it's made up of tiny vertical stripes. for a BVM there's at least three stripes making up one pixel. The higher the TVL, the more stripes, the higher the clarity. This is aperture grill, but masks are similar.

TVL is not signal format. 240p/480i/480p/1080i/720p/1080p are, properly, all signal formats. With LCD's being fixed-pixel, resolution is often used to mean the same thing now.
>>
>>2844856
We are talking about colors TVs.

All color TVs from ancient CRTs to modern HDMI and display port are RGB.
>>
>>2844651
Sony did sell PVM's worldwide, and there are certainly 17" broadcast tubes out there, though not from Sony.
>>
>>2842372
Hey ladies wanna Netflix and chill on my salvation army TV?
>>
>>2844862
>>2844848
>>2844838

On the display side, mostly yes. As far as signals go, it's not valuable information to say that all video is RGB. If a signal carries red green and blue separately, go ahead and call it RGB.

If we want to get REALLY silly, we could say that all video has no components because of focus and interference, creating complete natural colors depending on the distance that it is viewed at.
>>
>>2844774
They aren't interchangeable. they ARE convertable, as I said, you fucking dipshit.
>>
>>2844815
>VGA us not RGB. It's RGBHV.

What does 'RGB' use to sync, then?
If you answer csync, I will counter that that's actually RGB+Csync, not RGB, by your logic.
>>
>>2844868
Two problems with that.

1. The TV came from a PBS station, not a salvation army

2. I don't have and don't want netflix. I pirate my movies and TV shows because I can get them in higher quality that way.
>>
>>2844570
>run 0.7 volts through the red/green/blue jacks with a battery and resistor voltage divider if you really wanted colors on the screen
How will that help him test for 480p compatibility though?
>>
>>2844014

Pretty much every game supports progressive scan with GSM (the freeware .elf version of the Xploder HDTV player).

The hard part would just be memorizing the buttons required to turn it on.
>>
>>2844862
Black and white TV's are not RGB at any point in the process, and only contain one electron gun and white phosphors.

>all video is RGB
No, because not all video uses the RGB color space. All TV's convert internally to RGB at some point, but TV is not broadcast over RGB, it was sent in theYIQ color space in older times and in YUV digitally now.
>>
Holy shit, did the collective IQ of everyone in CRT threads drop by 40 points between the last thread and this one?
>>
>>2844580
>System: 525 lines 60 fields or 625 lines 50 fields interlace
Why only 25 lines? Most of the time it's way more, isn't it? You can squeze things down, but messing with the size and position of the sync pulse has definite limits.

And that "x"x600i resolution will be at 25i, so might flicker a bit. For video content that might be ok.

I'd love to see the results of this though. Let us know how you get on?
>>
>>2844858
Thanks for the explanation makes much more sense now.
>>
File: 102_2270.jpg (1MB, 3280x2460px) Image search: [Google]
102_2270.jpg
1MB, 3280x2460px
>>2844893
Support for a great number of games is hit or miss, and results vary wildly.
>>
>>2844893
>>2844917
>blindly navigate to get 480p
This is what I do with my PS2. But a lot of games that I've tried will give a smaller image near the bottom center of the screen instead of filling the screen. Not sure what that's all about.
>>
>>2844927
I'm lucky that the Megaview supports 15 and 31+ ranges, but having two syncs feeding into it at once (during game loading) does make it freak out. Thinking about it, running it through my transcoder would probably make things a lot simpler in that regard.
If your setup allows, you could have the composite lead connected to a standard TV so you can see what you're doing in the menus and then have it come up on your 31+ monitor.

You also have to remember that some games switch out of progressive scan mode for their videos or has them really off center for whatever reason.
PS2's 480p+ support is a complete pile of shit even with homebrew helping it out.
>>
>>2843478
for the price, I think so. I got a 19" for $5 and a 24" for free. Colors are bright and the screens are straighter than cheaper counterparts.
>>
>>2843478
>>2844943
Besides geometry being horrible? yes.
>>
File: IMG_20151209_201804526.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151209_201804526.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>2844959
While they are more likely to have geometry issues, not every last one does.
Many are at least decent, and can be got for incredibly cheap.
>>
>>2844982
All flat CRT's will have at least some geometry issues. Some more than others, but all have them.
>>
File: DSC01734s.jpg (4MB, 5472x3648px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01734s.jpg
4MB, 5472x3648px
>>2844993
And that's why I said "decent". While flat models should be noted as having more problems with geometry than not flats, they shouldn't be ruled out as a possible good set. You should check the picture quality of ANY CRT you may be thinking about getting, that doesn't change with the flats.
>>
>>2845001
You said 'not every last one does [have geometry issues]', so I stated that every last one does. Apart from geometry issues they can be good, but they still have geometry issues.
>>
>>2845004
That's what the decent was meant to imply, but I suppose the improper wording on that is a failure on my part.
>>
>>2844887
Jesus now I know you're autistic if you don't know what "Netflix and chill" means.
>>
>>2842372
Why is Kirby eerily floating above your SNES?
>>
>>2845064
Looks like a naked SGB.
>>
>>2844887
That was one hell of an autistic response to that
>>
>>2845065
I was going to disagree and say that there would be PCB visible, but upon opening mine up again, that would probably explain it.
More than likely, a SGB2 and done to avoid cutting the tabs.

Considering they also have a SuFami, I'm guessing the SNES is a 1CHIP and they're making use of the better cart in the "better" system?

Do the SuFami and SNES share the same mounting arrangement for the cart throat? If so, you could always swap them.
>>
>>2844904

>And that "x"x600i resolution will be at 25i,

Did you mean at 50hz?
>>
>>2845106
well, 50 fields
>>
>>2845087
No, an original SGB I'd been using on my super famicom earlier. Gonna get a SGB 2 eventually.
>>
>>2845040
sex, but I'm allowed to give autistic responses.
>>
>>2845087
>>2845164
Also, the SNES is a 1CHIP by pure luck. The super famicom is an older model, and while I could swap out the PCB's I want to add some RCA jacks to the SFC first.
>>
File: DSC01751c.jpg (2MB, 3648x3648px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01751c.jpg
2MB, 3648x3648px
>>2845164
You better leave the SGB2's clothes on when you do get it.

That blue shell is just so nice.

What could have been.jpg
>>
>>2845164
>>2845174

Is the SGB2 any different functionally?
>>
>>2845180
It has a link cable port for linked game functionality, and the clock speed was fixed to be more accurate to the Game Boy consoles.

No, it doesn't have any additional functionality, it will not play Color exclusive games. That image is just meme bait.
>>
>>2844629
noice.
>>
>>2845186

I guess I'll just keep using my regular old one until I stop being lazy and backlight mod a gameboy
>>
File: DSC01759s.jpg (4MB, 5472x3648px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01759s.jpg
4MB, 5472x3648px
>>2845186
>meme bait.
Read the spoiler, it wasn't bait.
If the SGB2 actually supported GBC, it'd make that combo the perfect match. Sadly it doesn't, but the combination still looks wonderful.
>>
>>2845174
My copy of crystal suddenly developed this problem where I have to wedge something roughly the size of a credit card between it and any game console I try to play it on for it to load properly. I've scrubbed it raw trying to fix it, to no avail.

Any ideas from anyone? this was my Pokemon game so I'm very attached to it.
>>
>>2845186
does it use the 'mini' style link port? or full-size original game boy style?

I'd mainly be getting it for the clock speed and looking nice in the super famicom, but I want to know if my link cable will work with it.
>>
>>2845174
Nice pic. Nothing will ever convince me the SNES mini isn't even uglier than the original U.S. SNES though. I know it's all a matter of opinion, but it just looks so... bland.
>>
>>2845261
my first* pokemon game.
>>
>>2844889
Ahhhhhh, you meant alongside the sync, didn't you. That took me a while to figure out. I still reckon using the A input would be easier.
>>
>>2845261
You could try opening the cartridge and putting something under the PCB itself, like electrical tape or something similar.
>>
>>2845301
tried that, it works but looks absolutely hideous because the case is translucent.

Was hoping for a better solution but I may have to live with it.
>>
File: DSC01767s.jpg (4MB, 5472x3648px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01767s.jpg
4MB, 5472x3648px
>>2845267
I won't disagree with you on it looking bland, but at the time I originally bought it, my main Genesis was a Model 3, so they sort of went together. It was also the easiest/safest way to get my hands on a 1CHIP.

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on an "original" SNES with a 1CHIP to use as well, so I could keep the Mini paired off with the 3. That is to say, I don't mind the looks of the US SNES.

>>2845263
I haven't had a grey brick for god knows how many years, but here's a GBC for comparison.

>>2845306
Given the GB line all use single sided edge connectors, you really don't get as much help from the cart slot in holding it against the contacts
Perhaps a small bit of clear plastic held in place with a clear adhesive, so as to blend in better? Anything to wedge the connector against the contacts a bit better.
>>
>>2845301
>>2845306
>>2845308
nevermind, tape isn't working I was pushing down on the cart from the top in my SP and it worked.
>>
>>2845310
update: thinking maybe some component on the PCB is somehow loose, because it works if I stick electrical tape in a wad behind the back right corner of the PCB. Gonna solder that back down next time I get a chance, but it's currently working.
>>
File: linkport.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
linkport.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
>>2845308
Ah, so it's the 'mini' kind.
The GBA and GBA SP use the same size link port but with that notch on the bottom.

Here, I've got a gray brick for you.
>>
File: 20151210_103304.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20151210_103304.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
I love how easy it is to adjust convergence on bvm
>>
>>2844903
No, it's just that asshole with the 20L5
>>
>>2845390
>MRW the guy who posted the IQ comment and this one is the 20L5 'asshole'
>>
>>2845390
I think the guy with the 20L5, while annoying, is at least intelligent enough not to claim that VGA's really not RGB.
>>
Which one is better Sony KV-27FS320 or KV-36FV310? I read the FV310 has a high voltage regulator, does the FS320 not have that?
>>
>>2845698
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FD_Trinitron/WEGA

310 is a little better, but both are prettymuch identical with a good source (of course other than the size difference). Check the picture out yourself, or grab the one that has the size you want.
>>
>>2845792
I'm just wondering if the high voltage regulator really makes a big difference. I read this onlin: "What this means is that bright scenes, lines, or text will not cause distortion of the image. I have yet to find any other consumer set with this feature."
>>
>>2845698
Biggest difference will be the size. 36 inches is fucking huge. I mean, if you want it, have room for it, and are willing to hire a team of Guatemalans to lug it into your home, that's up to you.

I really liked my 32 inch when I had it as my primary TV, though. It worked well for the size of my room and how far away I sat. Base your decision on that as well.
>>
>>2845698
KV-36FV310:
Pros:
* 36" screen diagonal is effin' huge (too big IMO, but I've never played 240p on a consumer CRT that big so I don't know how bad it'll be).
* is a 480i CRT so it won't try to do scaling on 240p
* 2 YPbPr inputs

Cons:
* 228 lbs (!)
* 235 watts consumption every hour
* Flat tubes suck for geometry
* this geometry problem is even more noticeable on larger sets
* Personally, I think 36" is too big.

KV-27FS320:
Pros:
* 27" is smaller and more weildly than 36".
* I can personally attest to 27" being a very nice size, though I wouldn't trade my 20" PVM for it ever. I love it for playing Smash Bros. (N64 and the newer ones) and for sitting far away, though.
* 104 lbs, less than half of the weight of the 36"
* 2 YPbPr inputs (same as other)

Cons:
* flat tubes suck for geometry (both are flat)
* 180 watts every hour is still pretty bad. Better, but not good.

>>2845792
I don't see a single thing on that table that makes me think the '310 is a little better' besides that it's fucking massive.
>>
>>2845803
this 'high voltage regulator' thing just sounds similar to scan velocity modulation. Most newer tubes do something like it. It's not important, it's almost definitely just a marketing term.

Take the 27". 36" is waaay too big.
>>
File: home-theater-11.jpg (16KB, 400x449px) Image search: [Google]
home-theater-11.jpg
16KB, 400x449px
So I don't know much about CRTs except for the basics like no input lag and such. I plan on making a game room out of the spare bedroom one of these days but I just haven't yet. Anyways I had a friend of a friend getting rid of a 40 inch Sony trinitron. Looks like the pic without the stand. So I took it off of him and it's sitting in my garage for now. So was this a good idea cause I have no idea if these are any good.
>>
File: 1449367590099.jpg (30KB, 481x527px) Image search: [Google]
1449367590099.jpg
30KB, 481x527px
>ff7 is too dark in RGB mode
>universal remote doesn't work
>android apps get me into menu but cant change anything
>>
>>2845876
>sony
>trinitron
sounds like it'd be good
>>
File: lttp-2.jpg (4MB, 3724x2952px) Image search: [Google]
lttp-2.jpg
4MB, 3724x2952px
>>2845892
>people still think only trinitrons can be good
>>
>>2845876

If it's a flatscreen, you might have to adjust the geometry. Google probably has a good guide for it.
>>
>>2845928
well, it's among the best consumer sets, so chances are high it'd be at least decent.

sure it's no pvm or bvm, but eh.
I guess if it's in the US you might be lacking RGB inputs though.
>>
>>2845947
The monitor I took that pic of (the zelda one) was neither a Sony monitor nor a trinitron/aperture grille. It's a broadcast monitor though, so yeah it has RGB. It's using a shadow mask though.

People assume trinitron = the only option for good quality and it's not true. I've got both.
>>
>>2845957
>>2845928
Sony is the only consumer TV SD CRT I know of outside of some random NEC/Mitsubishi sets that made it to the market that has bloom control and more advance service menu.

That's not to say all Sony have that stuff but the higher end ones do.
>>
>>2845876
40'' FD Trinitron makes me think it's the XBR800, which is an HDCRT and not something you'd want for retro games.
>>
>>2845963
I have a Toshiba consumer set that is quite definitely a shadow mask and has bloom control, plus a very nice service menu.
Model 27A42, if you wonder. 27 inches and YPbPr inputs (480i/240p only though).

The broadcast monitor I linked to was a Panasonic BT-H1390YN.
>>
>>2845971
That set does not have bloom control.

I'm not talking about the color settings if you're confusing that.
>>
>>2845973
I'm talking about when a very bright color is such a high energy that it 'blossoms' and overlaps with other regions that aren't supposed to be that color nearby.
>>
>>2845882
>android apps
What are you playing on?

>>2845928
>>2845957
Did he say that? Where in his post did he imply that "only trinitrons can be good"? You have terrible reading comprehension. The implication here is that a good TV is not always a Trinitron, but Trinitrons are almost always good. I myself had a JVC for a number of years and actually liked it more than my friend's Trinitron, but I wouldn't just take any old CRT without doing some research, but a Trinitron is a very safe bet.
>>
>>2845985
Bloom for a CRT is poor horizontal size control. When you go from a black screen to a white screen for example the horizontal size will increase on nearly all consumer CRTs.
>>
>>2845792
>>2845837

Do you guys know if the 320 has a built in subwoofer like the 310 does? Know how I can find out?
>>
>CRTs over 20" are too big!

Why would people opt for smaller screens on purpose? Do you also have a 20" LCD for TV? No matter what kind of TV or monitor I'm looking at, I want the biggest I can get.

It just sounds like a real case of sour grapes to me.
>>
>>2846152
Pretty underageb& huh?
>>
>>2846156
Considering that that is your only response, I'm going to assume that you are the underage one.
>>
>>2846152

I have a 30" CRT and I kind of hate it. It weighs like 150lbs and doesn't have proper handles either so moving it is literally painful.
>>
>>2845957
what he said: >>2845990
>>
>>2846289
Why are you moving your CRT? I put my main CRT where it is years ago, and haven't need to move it since.
>>
Is having a CRT with clearly defined scan lines worth it? I've got a nice 14 inch Toshiba from 2005 I can plug my component modded consoles into and it looks great but I don't get those nice dark lines that are like in the OP. Do they really make it look that much better?
>>
>>2846272
>>2846294
Not everyone wants a massive bitch to move TV that doesn't serve much purpose other than nostalgia.
>>
>>2846309
But why are you moving your CRT?
>>
>>2846314
I'm not that anon but a CRT needs to be mobile for me since I only have one to remind me why I switched to LCDs and for easy function checks on mods/restorations.
>>
>>2846294

Because I needed to
>>
>>2842473
Maybe he will find a new hobby and stop posting

maybe.
>>
>>2846294

When you move from your parents' basement into a big boy apartment you'll understand.
>>
File: 20151210_230449_resized.jpg (619KB, 2064x1161px) Image search: [Google]
20151210_230449_resized.jpg
619KB, 2064x1161px
Blog post incoming:

Got back from picking up my new PVM-20M4U. The guy was the manager of a private video production company outside of Boston. The monitor was built in December of 1997, and was first used at a broadcasting equipment rental service. Three years later, he bought it from them, and used it sparingly for a few years before everything started going digital and then HD. He says it was hardly used for the past 10 years, he just kept it around because he likes CRTs. It's in pretty amazing shape. He even had the original manual and warranty information.

The noise the tube made when I first powered it on was euphoric.
>>
www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sony-Colour-Trinitron-Professional-Video-Monitor-PVM-20M4A-/172022565037

yeah nah nah yeah nah
>>
File: 20151211_002138_resized.jpg (2MB, 2064x1161px) Image search: [Google]
20151211_002138_resized.jpg
2MB, 2064x1161px
Ha ha, what?
>>
Fak I need to get my m4u repaired. Friend was fucking around inside, turned the contrast pot too quickly and the thing won't turn on anymore.
>>
File: DSC01678s.jpg (4MB, 5472x3648px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01678s.jpg
4MB, 5472x3648px
>>2845990
They're probably talking about an IR blaster app for using as a remote control.

>>2846872
Nah
The photo of the menu not only looks like its bowed in somewhat, but also looks like the test lines are drooping as well.

Speaking of sides bowing in...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2hYcicXk78

>>2846806
*tips flyback*

>>2846936
Please don't stick your dick under the anode cap
>>
File: 20151207_230153.jpg (1MB, 1536x2560px) Image search: [Google]
20151207_230153.jpg
1MB, 1536x2560px
Hello /crt/
Is it bad if i leave my CRT on while my PC is off?
What are the basic tips for having a healthy CRT on the long run ?
Best regards.
>>
>>2847057
If you're not using it, shut it off. You'll lessen the chance of screen burn-in and the phosphor will wear out slower.
>>
File: 1446497784728.gif (820KB, 419x512px) Image search: [Google]
1446497784728.gif
820KB, 419x512px
>>2847057
How old is your monitor that it doesn't go into standby when there's no video input?
>>
asdf
>>
All right, how do I get my PVM to stop saying "COMPONENT" in the lower left corner?
>>
File: 1449846534901-950411529.jpg (2MB, 4096x3072px) Image search: [Google]
1449846534901-950411529.jpg
2MB, 4096x3072px
Shitty pic of the kx2501a from the last thread, SNES running composhit. Gonna start working on the rgb cable soon then checking the caps ic's etc in the monitor. The actual chassis is in nearly perfect condition. Original owner bought it brand new back in the day and never really moved it
>>
>>2847556
Kek right after this pic the picture went black and it started to smell out of the back
>>
>>2847628
RIP in peace.
>>
>>2845991
Yeah, that does happen on my Toshiba. I don't use it a ton.

I use my broadcast shadow mask. That is a legitimate problem with most consumer sets, though. Fair point.

>>2846152
Sounds like you're compensating for something.

Larger CRT's have more geometry/convergence issues, draw tons more power, weigh more than the average human can lift, and take way too much space for my apartment.

I did say I liked 27" screens, which are over 20". But my 20" serves my purposes just fine sitting about 16 feet away (~5 meters). When I was little and lived with my parents, their old 27" set in the basement where me and my brother had our games set up was actually only about 10 feet away (~3 meters). I am sitting further away from a smaller set and I am fine with it.
>>
>>2847628
really?

If the smoke looks white it's probably a capacitor that failed. That should be easy enough to replace if you want to fix it - I did it on a 1970's oscilloscope (another kind of special CRT).

take off the back and tell us what looks burned or is smoking. If you can't tell, power it up and wait for smoke. I bet it's a capacitor that failed.

That TV looks too sexy to throw out. DON'T THROW IT OUT!
>>
File: dog-carpet.jpg (763KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
dog-carpet.jpg
763KB, 2448x3264px
>>2847556
...are those turkish rugs?

My grandmother buys a ton of those and has so many she can't put them all in her house and she's started gifting them to family members.

Pic from thanksgiving at my parents' house, rug pictured. Blanket on top of it so we could eat while watching football.
>>
Saw someone's screenshots of Popful Mail a few threads ago (On a 900TVL BVM of some sort, IIRC) and thought the art looked good. Looked up the game, saw it was a Sega CD game. So I took the plunge and bought a Sega CD (paying Xmas prices I might add) and burned some CD's, and now I have Popful Mail on my 20L5!

I'm enjoying it so far, but it's pretty hard!
>>
File: popfulmail-segaCD-4mb.jpg (4MB, 3904x5480px) Image search: [Google]
popfulmail-segaCD-4mb.jpg
4MB, 3904x5480px
>>2848349
dammit forgot pic
>>
For anyone who cares, keys for my bvm-1911 should be arriving tomorrow there was a misprint in the address and it was rerouted to my address a few days ago so hopefully ill be able to put up some pictures and find out if it does 480p (which im pretty sure at this point it wont).
>>
>>2848329
Not the anon you're replying to but I was helping someone cleaning out a house of an old veteran who passed away, had a bunch of Persian rugs laying around bought somewhere in the 60s and 70s.
Was kinda interesting, they look comfortable.

I might get a rug myself, the floor has been really cold lately.
>>
14L5 convergence anon here
got it back from the shop today, looks alot better than before i messed it up.
>>
>>2848352
nice backup games
>>
>>2848634
They're my only copies. ;)

cue/bin burns. One of the reasons I thought I could afford a Sega CD was that I could just burn my games. No way I'm paying $100 for Popful Mail.

>>2848498
Don't throw those out, some of them are worth a lot of money. Especially the ones with signatures weaved into them.

My grandparents would buy rugs in Turkey and surrounding countries for about $1000 USD and some are worth tens of thousands in America. I'm dead serious.
>>
>>2847057
Turn off the CRT even if there's no picture on it. Saves energy and will let the electron guns last longer. I got into the habit of turning off my LCD's, too, actually. :p
>>
>>2848669
sorry, was remembering wrong. Looked at the notes I took and it was actually $300 they spent and $1600 they could sell for here.
>>
File: 006.jpg (1MB, 2884x2304px) Image search: [Google]
006.jpg
1MB, 2884x2304px
Have to use a flash because I live in the dark when there's no morning sunlight coming in my window, haven't had working lights for a while. Always jealous of all these PVMs.

It's a Proscan PS32108, just a humble 32" I share space with.
>>
File: 008.jpg (3MB, 4320x3240px) Image search: [Google]
008.jpg
3MB, 4320x3240px
>>2848707
>diagonal lines
If I wasn't afraid of being murdered and found weeks later, I would try opening the case and figuring it out. Adjusting the settings on the flyback transformer didn't do anything for me.
>>
>>2848712
In the pic they look horizontal. Do they roll up or down the screen continuously? or are they fixed in place? Do other video sources show the same pattern?
>>
>>2848758
Oh hey bro.
I lost the USB cable to the camera just now but it's a whole stack of lines across the tube that you can clearly see when there's no picture. They stay in place, no travelling. They're ever so slightly off from being straight horizontal which is why I said diagonal. They're from the beam as when I cut it off I can momentarily see the pattern collapse into itself.

Googling gives me horror stories about the flyback transformer or a transistor going bad and needing either adjustment or replacement.
>>
>>2848763
hmm, yeah I can see it possibly being a flyback issue. My old serial RS-232 computer terminal had a similar problem but only at high brightness levels. Does turning down brightness make the problem go away?
>>
>>2848764
The brightness was leaning on the darker side to begin with. Bottoming it out didn't really change things.
>>
File: sonic-cd.jpg (4MB, 4068x3280px) Image search: [Google]
sonic-cd.jpg
4MB, 4068x3280px
>>2848763
>>2848764
P.S. just noticed the CDX. You can be jelly of my PVM all you want. I'll just be jelly of your CDX.

(my genesis is sooo huge -_-)
>>
>>2848772
I want a CD Model 1 though. I just can't seem to grasp the idea of owning a Model 2 that takes up so much space.

So the lines aren't going to murder me in my sleep? I'm accustomed to them but was always a tad doubtful.
>>
File: sonic is sooo cute-4mb.jpg (4MB, 3340x2804px) Image search: [Google]
sonic is sooo cute-4mb.jpg
4MB, 3340x2804px
>>2848782
The lines will not murder you in your sleep. They'll just look bad.

Did you try the contrast setting too? Also the 'screen' dial... on the flyback you said you'd already tried.
>>
>>2848782
isn't that a screen/g2 adjustment ?
the pot location varies, sometimes it's on the flyback transformer along with focus, or it can be on neck PCB.
>>
>>2848787
It's been on the transformer itself and not the neck on all seven CRT's I've owned and opened. This includes both PC monitors and TV's (PVM's counting as TV's, of which I've opened two).
>>
>>2848782
Model 1 CD is cool, but way too expensive for me to even consider.

Same problem with the CDX, honestly. Did you pay a premium or already own it from 'back in the day'?
>>
>>2848793
on sony tvs it's on the neck pcb
>>
>>2848796
>PVM's aren't Sony TV's

I believe you, but that's a strangely sweeping statement.
>>
>>2848795
Super cheap from a charity org
>>
>>2848801
on some Sony consumer TVs if you will.
>>
File: sony screen.jpg (45KB, 556x693px) Image search: [Google]
sony screen.jpg
45KB, 556x693px
>>2848806
>>2848801
>>
File: owl.jpg (135KB, 1074x1126px) Image search: [Google]
owl.jpg
135KB, 1074x1126px
>>2848785
I revisited the dials on the transformer and this time got the lines to go away.
wat

Thank you for the dialogue, else I wouldn't have had the re-sparked interest in tinkering with it again
>>
File: 027.jpg (3MB, 4320x3240px) Image search: [Google]
027.jpg
3MB, 4320x3240px
>>
>>2848352
>>2848772
these pics are nice as fuck. genesis rgb is the best imo.
>>
>>2848321
No smoke that I could see. Opened it up to take a quick look and couldn't really see anything obvious, but I need to blow out over 30 yrs of dust first and take a better look.
>>2848329
Yeah some sort of middle eastern Persian rug, they are comf.
>>
>>2848825
Glad it worked!
>>
>>2848832
Proper csync was a bitch to pull out of it without resorting to the ugly method of stripping composite video and hoping that gave good enough sync. Once I got it working with a buffer, though, it's been pretty nice.
>>
File: 1388266934861.jpg (69KB, 532x649px) Image search: [Google]
1388266934861.jpg
69KB, 532x649px
>>2848669
tfw I have popful mail, but not a segaCD
>>
File: mind trick.gif (1013KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
mind trick.gif
1013KB, 320x240px
>>2848884
you should send it to me, free.
>>
>>2844750
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A78yTvIY1k
>>
File: Memert.jpg (1MB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
Memert.jpg
1MB, 3264x1840px
This is my meme rt just picked it up from the dump looks good
>>
>>2848929
thanks anon. Girls of any description inside CRT's seems to be a rare find.

...Any femanons present?
(doubting it)
>>
File: fixed.jpg (988KB, 1840x3264px) Image search: [Google]
fixed.jpg
988KB, 1840x3264px
>>2848952
Fixed. FFS do it right next time.
>>
>>2844679
Im afraid bjork is gonna get electroCUTED
>>
>>2848958
lmao thanks not even sure how i fucked it up
>>
>>2848962
EXIF metadata from phone, I'm assuming.
Some non-phone digital cameras do it too.
>>
>>2848965
4chan doesn't apply exif rotation
>>
>>2848969
No shit sherlock. It strips EXIF rotation, causing the problem.
>>
>>2844959
I said for the price, yes. Free and $5. I know I'm not posting my virgin PVM HD picture but you shouldn't throw them out because they're consumer grade tvs. Flat screen crt trinitrons are OK to pick up off the side of the road or pay $5 to the goodwill to move. Jesus, /crt/
>>
File: DSC01592s.jpg (4MB, 5472x3648px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01592s.jpg
4MB, 5472x3648px
>>2848349
>So I took the plunge and bought a Sega CD (paying Xmas prices I might add)
How much? I grabbed a "not working/for parts" one that I've gotten partially up and running for ~$25 shipped about a week ago. Not sure if it's problems with the gears, limit switch, or both.

>>2848782
I'd also love a Model 1, so it'd properly fit into a Genesis "display tray" I have.
>>
>>2845843
No. It mean what it says; "high voltage regulator". It has nothing to due with scan velocity modulation. Inadequate HV regulation will cause the raster, or sections of the raster, with bright material to expand.
>>
>>2846945
I don't suppose you tried turning that pot back the other way?
>>
>>2849053
What I hear you saying there is that only PVM's aren't flat screen.

That's very wrong. You can somewhat easily find an older non-flat consumer TV, from Sony or some other brand, that will perform well. Better I daresay than those flat screens do.

The price is appealing but I'd wait for something better.

>>2849062
70. Came with a VA7 genesis I'm going to Mega Amp mod, S-video mod, and flip on ebay, as well as a controller, some crappy sports games, sewer shark, and a power cord.
Overpaid for sure, but I think I can recoup my losses by selling off the VA7 once I've added S-Video and fixed the god-awful audio pipeline.
>>
>>2849232
should add that part of the reason I was paying that much was because the sega CD actually had that spacer on the left hand side as a result of being paired with a model 1.
>>
>>2849232
>>2849236
I could deal with that price including the spacer and even a shitty Genesis.
Most of what I'm seeing looking around though are standalone units, not even including power cables asking that much.

It'd be really nice if I can find something local but that's never gonna happen.
>>
File: monkey island segaCD.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
monkey island segaCD.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
>>2849062
What game's that?

>>2849243
Yeah, I tried hunting one down locally for a couple years. Managed to get that PVM, so I thought just maybe. Nope. Bought one on ebay in the end.

I'm liking it so far, though there aren't a TON of good games, there are enough that I'm going to have to buy a save RAM cart (sigh... those are like $40 on ebay right now... guess I'll be waiting for xmas to pass)

BTW, the music in the Sega CD version sounds about as good as when I play it with my MT-32 MIDI synth. A little different, maybe, but VERY good.
>>
>>2849272
>>2849243
p.s.
I just use those AC adapters like the ones radioshack used to sell with the swappable tips and switches to control voltage. 7.5 volts is enough to run any console that has a 7805 voltage regulator inside (except the NES, due to the bridge rectifier which drops input voltage below what the 7805 will accept. There you do need to go up to between 9 volts and 12 volts DC).

The ones that have 7805's inside that I am aware of are:

* Genesis + Sega CD + 32X (each have the 7805)
* SNES + Super Famicom
* Original Famicom and AV Famicom (unlike the NES these DO work with 7.5v. They use a negative tip and positive 'shell', same as the Genesis. The NES doesn't care about polarity thanks to the bridge rectifier)
* Sega Master System (Don't own)
* Atari 2600
* Atari 5200 (I don't own one but DO have the 2600 and 5200 service manuals)
* Atari 7800 (don't own)
* Turbografx-16 (don't own)
* Intellivision (don't own)

Any of those will work with those adapters if you get polarity right. My Sega CD + genesis on ebay only had one AC adapter so I'm using one of those for the sega CD and the official one on the genesis.
>>
File: DSC01553s.jpg (4MB, 5472x3648px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01553s.jpg
4MB, 5472x3648px
>>2849272
>What game's that?
Keio Flying Squadron

>I'm going to have to buy a save RAM cart (sigh... those are like $40 on ebay right now
From what I've heard, that's about what they go for, whether it's the holidays or not.

I decided to just say fuck it, and grab a Mega ED during Black Friday. It's able to act as a RAM cart, so that helps to make up the price gap between it and the EDMD.

I actually did see a Sega CD for sale locally some months back, but it had a shitty Genesis paired with it(was still looking for a good Model 1 then) and they were asking way too much.

Should have tried making an offer on it, but oh well.

>>2849285
Power cables, at least as of right now, aren't really anything I'm concerned about. I have 2 "Model 1" styled power bricks that I can use for the Genny+CD.
>>
>>2849289
You have a Saturn, I'm assuming, then?

The first game was a Sega CD game. Looks cool and I have a couple more blank CD's. I'mma burn it.
>>
File: 100_6114.jpg (1MB, 3280x2460px) Image search: [Google]
100_6114.jpg
1MB, 3280x2460px
>>2849330
No, that is the first game, for the Sega CD.
Like I said, the one I bought works "sorta".

I do, actually, have a Saturn that I want to add a modchip to though.
>>
>>2849332
oh, yeah.

When you say 'partially' does that mean some games don't read? or you get read errors during gameplay?

This is a model 2 CD, I'm assuming.
>>
>>2849339
>>2849332
(also, I spotted a sold genesis + sega CD that went for $35 or so last week, right after I bought my $70 thing, just because it was mis-labeled as a 'genisis' [sic].)
>>
File: SKULL JOKE.png (170KB, 500x303px) Image search: [Google]
SKULL JOKE.png
170KB, 500x303px
>>
>>2849342
This is extremely relevant to a CRT thread and clearly taken on a CRT.
>>
File: DSC01543.jpg (3MB, 5472x3648px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01543.jpg
3MB, 5472x3648px
>>2849339
Some tracking issues here and there(songs don't start when they should, or don't change very easily) and some noises from the CD drive.
As I said in >>2849062 (and in more detail in >>2845420 and >>2845452 ) I'm not sure if it's a problem with the limit switch causing the sled not to stop, the gears causing slippage and the sled not to stop or to slip, a combination of the two, or what.

I do plan on getting at least a partial refund. When it arrived it was missing all the screws holding the shell together, some of the screws to the top RF shielding, and the CD lid isn't just broken off, the hinges are completely fucking gone. Oh, and of course the fuse was blown, but I was expecting that much.
They originally offered a complete refund, but I'd already been into it and figured out that it was at least somewhat operational; Just trying to figure out what would be a decent amount to "ask for" back; It was $22 shipped, with 7 or so of that being for shipping.

Keio plays relatively well on it, though has a hiccup here or there with switching from song to song (stage music to boss music for example)
Sonic CD has the title screen music start a bit delayed, sometimes has the level music start slightly late, has trouble switching to and from the invincibility music and back, and some times just straight up refuses to play music.
Lords of Thunder, however, seems to play fantastically most of the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdAOg3ogPSI
Audio CDs seem okay.
>>
>>2845928
We get it
You're a shadow mask fag
>>
>>2846305
Thicker Scanlines=Higher Horizontal Resolution
The higher the Horizontal Resolution the sharper the image is

Broadcast monitors typically have higher TVLine count than consumer ones

If you're happy with what you got though stick to that
>>
>>2849621
>Thicker Scanlines=Higher Horizontal Resolution
The scanline is the lit part, not the black part. Higher horizontal resolution has *thinner* scanlines.
>>
>>2848772
>those blue borders
what were sonic team thinking with this shit?
should have just let them black goddammit
>>
>>2849380
>Sonic CD has the title screen music start a bit delayed, sometimes has the level music start slightly late, has trouble switching to and from the invincibility music and back, and some times just straight up refuses to play music.

You can just get the Steam Remastered Version and possibly somehow run that one in the original resolution via Soft15khz/CRT_Emudriver

It also has
>both soundtracks(with the exception of not having the lyrics for the japanese theme songs since they couldn't obtain the rights to them)
>uses the better animated intro found in the PC Version
>60fps special stages
>better collision detection
>widescreen(but the game runs at whatever aspect ratio your monitor is so if you have a 4:3 one it just runs at that aspect ratio)
>proper music looping
>unlockable Tails

It's much better all around
I'm not exactly sure if you can run it at 240p using soft15khz/crt_emudriver but if you can then that's the best way to play it
>>
>>2849632
Are you trolling me?
The higher the TVLine Count the more pronounced the "Black Lines"(what every normal person refers to as "Scanlines") are
>>
>>2849657
The black areas are just the left over space between the scanlines. The actual scanlines, ie. the lines produced by the raster scan, are the lit parts. The NES has 240 scanlines. If you counted the empty space as "scanlines" you'd only get 239. Anybody who calls the empty space the scanlines is wrong.
>>
I want to make RGB cables. What supplies do I need for this?
>>
>>2849720

Depends on the cable, if you want to do a nintendo rgb cable you probably have to get a cheap rgb cable for the multi connector and cut it apart carefully (I have always wanted to re use an original av cable but the multi out sadly does not have enough pins) then for the actual cable you want to use something very well shielded, a nice thick vga cable if you have one lying around is good. And for the scart connector just order a cheap scart female to female (haven't been able to find just the connectors for cheap)
>>
File: 20151211_164757.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20151211_164757.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
>>
File: tumblr_nz970wDrer1usrgjso2_540.jpg (42KB, 540x303px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nz970wDrer1usrgjso2_540.jpg
42KB, 540x303px
Which CRT /vr/ is good for fighting games? I play games from PS1 and PS2
>>
>>2850074
requesting Fez?
>>
>>2850107
All 60Hz CRTs have the same excellent motion quality and latency. Assuming you don't have a line doubler you'll want a 15KHz CRT or it won't work with those consoles.

The only bad CRTs are the rare 50Hz only PAL CRTs and the 100Hz frame doubled PAL CRTs.
>>
>>2850120
Also American HD CRTs are shit for this
>>
>>2849616
Not at all. I use my 20L5 about as often.
>>
>>2849652
That or you can aim for using real hardware instead of expensive scalers and emulation.
>>
>>2849720
Depens on if you want to use the original proprietary AV connectors on the systems or drill RCA jacks or similar.

>>2849637 The blue borders are in the overscan region. I adjusted the settings of my monitor so I could see a little more into the overscan area because a lot of SNES and NES games have a little detail in there. A lot of Sega games have that border though. It doesn't bother me when I'm playing.
>>
>spent hours trying to adjust a slightly blurry trini
>MFW I managed to get better focus on sides than on center...
overall it's a bit better, but it's the first time I get a case like this. Also first time trying to adjust yoke itself.
>>
>>2850074
how
>>
File: silicone caulk.jpg (1MB, 1072x4396px) Image search: [Google]
silicone caulk.jpg
1MB, 1072x4396px
>>2850186
You know that there's a 'focus' potentiometer on the flyback transformer or neck board of most CRT's? You fix CONVERGENCE with the yoke, not focus.

If you meant convergence and not focus, you should aim for convergence in the center and worry about the sides last. Those are easier fixed with the rings on the neck.

Pictured: what I used to glue the yoke back down after I was done with it when I fixed the convergence on my 20L5.
>>
>>2850462
to add to that, look for a caulk that will adhere to both plastic and glass. This 100% silicone stuff did but most of them at the hardware store I went to did not.
>>
>>2850462
The important thing in this post is to use RTV silicone. Apparently hot glue works, too, but the PVM's I've seen all used silicone.
>>
>>2850462
I did both, convergence and focus, which lead to slightly blur in center.
even pushing yoke in I couldn't get a good result
And on this tube and many others there's no need to fix yoke itself, there are foam spacers. It's even mentioned in the service manual
>>
>>2850506
Yes, there are spacers. But if you were to move the TV, put it in a moving van, or have an earthquake, the yoke would definitely come loose if you didn't hold it in place.

My PVM had both spacers (rubber) and glue.
>>
>>2850323
Wii component cables work with Wii U.
Too bad they didn't put a 4:3 mode in the game.
>>
>>2850169
>drill RCA jacks

Please.

no more.
>>
>>2849652
Maybe once I get off my ass and get emudriver setup, but I bought the original hardware for a reason. If I was just set on emulating, I'd have just stuck with playing it via the Wii.
>>
>>2849621
>>2849657
>Thicker Scanlines=Higher Horizontal Resolution
Those two are only connected incidentally. TVL really has nothing to do with the scanlines, or distance between them, save that the focus of the guns on a high-TVL broadcast or presentation tube is probably tighter, the grille/mask is sharper and the phosphors are better quality. Those last three affect the thickness of the black lines, which i'll grant we tend to call scanlines.

While your statement is roughly accurate if you take horizontal resolution and TVL to be the same thing, which is fine, it's also post hoc and could be misleading. For one, on a 600TVL tube, the scanlines are no sharper at 640x480i than at 1280x480i.
>>
File: vScanlines.webm (2MB, 1464x1080px) Image search: [Google]
vScanlines.webm
2MB, 1464x1080px
posting here cuz you might know

does anyone know what emulator is this? it looks very nice
>>
File: IMG_20151212_202130.jpg (2MB, 4096x3072px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151212_202130.jpg
2MB, 4096x3072px
xrgb3> fw900
>>
>>2851048
More please, that's an interesting approach I never thought of.
>>
>>2851048
480p with scanlines? I was once tempted to get an xrgb-3 for use with PC monitors. I figured it would still be useful after that if I ever decided to move towards LCDs.
>>
the picture on my trinitron is slanted. someone come take it
>>
>>2851123
Slant your TV to compensate
>>
File: IMG_20151212_205512.jpg (2MB, 4096x3072px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151212_205512.jpg
2MB, 4096x3072px
>>2851063
Works well and pc crt's usually have pretty minor convergence/geometry issues unlike most of the 15khz rgb monitors I pick up.
>>2851070
Yeah linedoubled to 480p. This is a pretty good all in one setup, since it covers 240p stuff, 480i (could be better) 480p, pc (no analog on my gpu sadly) and hd consoles via a hd fury or vga if they support it. I've been using lacie 22's, mitsu diamondtrons with a vga box and component to vga transcoder for dc/ps2/gc/xbox and the picture has always been fantastic, so you certainly don't need a fw900 for those. I would probably wait and get marqs diy linedoubler over the xrgb-3 at this point though.
>>
File: IMG_20151212_205545.jpg (1MB, 4096x3072px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151212_205545.jpg
1MB, 4096x3072px
>>2851140
the geometry
>>
>>2851142
Take one where the camera is centered instead of at an angle.
>>
>>2851123
>The picture on my trinitron is slanted. Someone come take it
Okay, I'll take it, rotate the yoke, and have a perfectly good one. Thanks!
>>
File: genesis-rca-4mb-whitelevelfix.jpg (4MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
genesis-rca-4mb-whitelevelfix.jpg
4MB, 4608x3456px
>>2850603
>Please. No more.
Alright, but only since you asked.

(fixed the white levels)
>>
File: wwww.jpg (97KB, 540x427px) Image search: [Google]
wwww.jpg
97KB, 540x427px
Are the Scart cables for Snes compatible with the Gamecube or N64?
>>
File: IMG_20151212_220724.jpg (891KB, 4096x3072px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151212_220724.jpg
891KB, 4096x3072px
>>2851172
tried mah bests anon
>>
>>2851215
Yes, but the N64 and Gamecube do not output RGB (the PAL GC does, but not the US one. Neither version N64 outputs RGB).

Best you can get out would be composite video, I believe (since SCART is shit and doesn't really support Y/C/S-video, though some unofficial modifications on the standard do).

It's not worth your while unless you modify your N64 for RGB, and it's easier on some revisions than others.
>>
>>2851221
I can see slight geometry errors on all four sides. It's not HUGE like on some flat screens but it is quite definitely there.

I'd prefer a non-flat tube, but it looks pretty nice. Still think a 20L5 has it beat since it doesn't have to fake 240p with a really expensive scaler (my 20L5 was cheaper than an XRGB by over $250)
>>
>>2851236

The geometry looks perfect in person, you would think it was a completely different monitor than the one in the pic. Don't have a 20l5 to compare with but can't say its better than my 800TVL 20m4u but its certainly sharper imo.
>>
>>2851251
I see you saying it looks perfect in person, and I hear you saying you don't notice in person.

Sure, it could look 'sharper' because the lines are going to be smaller and intended for a progressive display. I bet my 20L5 running in 480p with fake 240p through a scaler would look similar.
>>
File: DSC01785.jpg (4MB, 5472x3648px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01785.jpg
4MB, 5472x3648px
>>2851193
>not using the RF modulator, original AV connector and having something plugged into the expansion port too
Not good enough.

Got around to hooking the composite sync and 5v lines up to my model 2 connector; Any slight interference that was there when using composite video for sync has completely disappeared with using just the "boosted" raw sync cable from retro_console_accessories.
>>
>>2851259
Why is my 240p fake? did it diss you or something?
>>
>>2851231
>poster doesn't declare region but wants to use RGB
>responder presumes American
The PAL GC and SNES cables are not compatible with each other, or with NTSC, though they're not too far off. Can be modified pretty easily - http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/gamescart/gamescart.htm
>>
File: genesis muh wires-4mb.jpg (4MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
genesis muh wires-4mb.jpg
4MB, 4608x3456px
>>2851260
>Making do without a 8 pin DIN on a free genesis

I don't have the original cable, here's another one though.
I DO have two original RF switches. Here's one.
>>
>>2851276
forgot the line break after:
>I clearly talk about the difference between NTSC and PAL systems in the post
I however have not had the displeasure of fucking with PAL systems. I believe the reason for the incompatibility is 12V instead of sync on one of the lines? Wouldn't a PAL SNES cable that uses composite video as sync work just fine?
>>
>>2851270
see >>2851280

A SNES cable that syncs with composite (a la the actual SCART standard, which is shit) instead of csync, should work on the Gamecube and the SNES. Right?
>>
>>2851273
Hope you have the four player adapter in the front.

>>2851276
>>2851280
>>2851283
PAL SNES needs resistors to ground in the cable; Gamecube needs caps.
A PAL gamecube cable will work for an NTSC SNES, however. Supposedly some PAL SNES will work with it as well, but I'm not entirely sure about that.
>>
>>2851260
Just make the buffer yourself for sync...
how much did that cable cost?
>>
>>2851291
forgot pic
>>
>>2851280
>forgot the line break after:
>>I clearly talk about the difference between NTSC and PAL systems in the post
Yes, and he was asking about the cables. Your post was related, but gave the false impression it was complete. I'm happy to attack your parochialism any time you like :)
>>
>>2851291
$25
Needed a decent cable for my systems anyway, as I didn't want to deal with that god-awful chinese cable any more.

I do need to figure out why I was getting buzzing over the the left audio channel off the Model 2 connector when it was connected to the headphone DAC.
Output from the headphone connector stayed perfectly fine, which was weird.
>>
>>2851328
>buzzing
Was it 60hz-ish? If so, I bet it's a ground loop.

>$25
You can get a 74HC08 for 46 cents and get boosted sync that way, you know.
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/SN74HC08N/296-1570-5-ND/277216
>>
>>2851348
p.s. direct from TI is 32 cents
https://store.ti.com/SN74HC08D.aspx
>>
>>2851348
>Needed a decent cable for my systems anyway, as I didn't want to deal with that god-awful chinese cable any more.

I will, however, keep that in mind should I ever get around to "standardizing" my video cables between consoles.

>Was it 60hz-ish? If so, I bet it's a ground loop.
I really can't describe it.
When I say buzzing, I mean no game audio at all from that channel, JUST buzzing.

Couldn't get continuity to ground, so I figured that wasn't the problem.
Just ended up disconnecting the wire and went back to using the headphone jack. Might go back in and fuck around with it some more tonight.
>>
>>2851354
I also don't suppose you'd be willing to open your Sega CD up and take a photo of what the limit sensor on it looks like. Trying to figure out if I'm missing something in mine. see >>2851358
>>
>>2851359
I'm pretty reluctant to open my sega CD at all, really. I might, but I'll have to think it over. I can fix CRT's, but I'm not confident I can fix a CD drive if I fuck something up while digging inside.
>>
>>2851363
Understandable.

Despite all the shit missing from mine, I believe it would technically visible without needing to do more than take the top shell off.
>>
whats everyone playing on their PVMs tonight? I'm thinking of breaking out secret of mana.
>>
File: miner1.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
miner1.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
>>2851397
Popful mail. The miners are hilarious.
>>
File: miner2.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
miner2.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
>>2851419
part 2/3
>>
File: miner3.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
miner3.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
>>2851424
part 3/3
>>
>>2851221
could you please lower the ISO on your camera and maybe cleaning the lens and monitor a bit just in case
>>
>>2851435
The other thing he could do would be to lower the contrast.
>>
File: Homura ssb.jpg (32KB, 600x350px) Image search: [Google]
Homura ssb.jpg
32KB, 600x350px
Hey /vr/, I was thinking about buying a second-hand CRT LG Lafinion 100hz 32"
Is this TV a good investment?
>>
>>2851472
>100hz
nope.
>>
File: 1449736200258.png (73KB, 252x163px) Image search: [Google]
1449736200258.png
73KB, 252x163px
How do I get into the service menu of a PVM14M2U and get better RGB colours on Snes
>>
>>2851510
You shouldn't need to get 'better' colors. RGB should look fine as-is. What exactly is wrong?
>>
>>2851514
I'm autistic
>>
>>2851515
I am actually autistic and I didn't need to enter any service menu or do anything to fix my colors beyond using some color bars for a basic calibration. No service menu required.
>>
>>2851525
What do you mean by color bars? Just getting a 240p test and trying to get everything perfect by tweaking the brightness and contrast?
>>
File: CRT is gone.jpg (1MB, 3640x2736px) Image search: [Google]
CRT is gone.jpg
1MB, 3640x2736px
I think my CRT is dead boys, I can't find any combination of settings to actually see shit in games, it's a pretty old TV

At least my N64 only needed to be cleaned to get it working again

although I can play some newer games that have a lot more color in them easily
>>
File: CRT ded 2.jpg (409KB, 3640x2736px) Image search: [Google]
CRT ded 2.jpg
409KB, 3640x2736px
This is with reset settings
>>2851553
>>
>>2851553
maybe the RCA cable is shitty
>>
File: CRT ded 3.jpg (2MB, 3640x2736px) Image search: [Google]
CRT ded 3.jpg
2MB, 3640x2736px
This would be the russians head in the tower minus motion blur

Can I run an 64 through a VCR to a modern TV?
>>
>>2843610
>>2843729
nvm I just burnt it and tried it. Runs at 60fps most of the time, 30fps in some places

bretty good
>>
>>2851567
glad things worked out anon
>>
>>2851537
No, I don't mean the fucking test suite.
Old video game consoles can't handle the precise colors for the SMPTE bars.

Burn this to a DVD.
https://mega.nz/#!jk4nVLAK!0Ez_xqkGmTRgTSG2cxpBc37dqxVzt_fYSCdM4dOefh0

Follow a guide to calibrating a CRT with SMPTE color bars. There are loads.

If your SNES still doesn't look right after calibrating to them, then it's your expectations that are wrong and not your monitor.
>>
>>2851564
if you're splitting your video signal into two I've seen things like this.
>>
File: 100_4431.jpg (2MB, 3640x2736px) Image search: [Google]
100_4431.jpg
2MB, 3640x2736px
>>2851570
It's straight to the TV, here's my Xbox on it

Menu looks fine
>>
File: 100_4433.jpg (2MB, 3640x2736px) Image search: [Google]
100_4433.jpg
2MB, 3640x2736px
>>2851573
In game looks like crap, not sure what's the issue exactly,
>>
File: ryuka stunned.jpg (3MB, 4100x2580px) Image search: [Google]
ryuka stunned.jpg
3MB, 4100x2580px
>>2851573
Never owned an Xbox or any other M$ console. No idea what that game's supposed to look like.
>>2851569
>>
File: 100_4438.jpg (2MB, 3640x2736px) Image search: [Google]
100_4438.jpg
2MB, 3640x2736px
>>2851574
In game color bar
>>
File: 1.png (27KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
27KB, 1280x1024px
>>2851569
>>2851575
Forgot to follow up.
Here's a still pic of the color bars I'm referring to.
>>
>>2851569
>Old video game consoles can't handle the precise colors for the SMPTE bars.
DC and Wii shouldn't have any problem with availability of colors for their respective versions of the test suite.
>>
File: Genma Onimusha Titlescreen.png (1MB, 1433x799px) Image search: [Google]
Genma Onimusha Titlescreen.png
1MB, 1433x799px
>>2851575
>>
File: colorbars-1944q-20l5.jpg (2MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
colorbars-1944q-20l5.jpg
2MB, 4608x3456px
>>2851579
So is it just way too dim?

Your camera really is awful.
>>
>>2851581
The DC and wii don't generate SMPTE color bars in the 240p test suite, I believe. Your point is invalid unless my belief is incorrect.
>>
File: Genma Onimusha Opening Screen.jpg (127KB, 1353x599px) Image search: [Google]
Genma Onimusha Opening Screen.jpg
127KB, 1353x599px
>>2851583
Not really, it just has trouble with low light I suppose

>>2851574
>>2851575

How it should look
>>
>>2851586
If you can't manually adjust it to get a good picture of your TV in low light, it sucks.
>>
File: 100_4445.jpg (445KB, 3640x2736px) Image search: [Google]
100_4445.jpg
445KB, 3640x2736px
>>2851589
It's a cheap point and shoot, gets the job done

Default TV settings
>>
File: espeon-4mb.jpg (4MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
espeon-4mb.jpg
4MB, 4608x3456px
>>2851591
My point and shoot camera set me back $80 and takes better photos.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Canon-16-MP-6354B001/21675104

Still, hunting for a used DSLR for 'the next level.'

I don't know what game that is or what console. Why don't you choose a game that most people here have probably played?
>>
File: 100_4451.jpg (2MB, 3640x2736px) Image search: [Google]
100_4451.jpg
2MB, 3640x2736px
>>2851594
The title screen is 4 posts above it

I can fix The game Kingdom Under Fire Heros, but that's only because it has an in game brightness control, and even then it looks like shit overall

I'm also pretty sure most people have played goldeneye on the N64
>>
>>2851591
>>2851596
I refuse to believe that's just from being old and worn. There has to be a problem with the cables as well. It just seems too extreme for wear, no matter how old.

>>2851585
My Wii component cables are upstairs right now and I can't be bothered to go grab them at the moment.

The DC version I have is rather outdated; It doesn't seem to have them outright, but various parts of them broken up.

The wikipage for it, however, claims to have both SMPTE and EBU color bars:
http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/240p_test_suite#SMPTE_Color_Bars_.26_EBU_Color_bars
>>
>>2851598
Alright. Still, 240p suite does not exist solely on the DC and Wii.

I've never actually used the suite, only my DVDs.
>>
>>2851602
>Still, 240p suite does not exist solely on the DC and Wii.
Which is why I specified those versions.

They're also the easiest to gain access to, given that they don't require any type of flashcart and are either very easy to softmod or blown wide open almost by default.
I've been meaning to burn a DVD, but the test suite is just easier to bring up at this point and being in 240p rather than 480i is more pleasing on the eyes.
The Wii version having options for PAL resolutions is really nice as well.
>>
>>2851605
Not all DC's are easy to softmod. There is a revision that I believe still hasn't been.

Also, my bars are 480p. Loving the L5's.
>>
>>2851609
The blown wide open comment was referring to the DC.
Some models have nothing stopping them from running your standard cd-r with games or in this case homebrew burnt to it. The later models, as you said, aren't as widely blown open.

>Also, my bars are 480p. Loving the L5's.
This is just more reason why 240p Suite is preferable in many cases, given that it's most often used on SD sets where you get the choice of 240p or 480i.

If you've got access to unmolested 480p, you'd also have the option of just saying fuck it and connecting a PC up to it.
>>
File: 100_4455.jpg (1MB, 3640x2736px) Image search: [Google]
100_4455.jpg
1MB, 3640x2736px
>>2851598
Kingdom Hearts 2

Title screen has tons of whites, standard stuff
>>
File: 100_4461.jpg (2MB, 3640x2736px) Image search: [Google]
100_4461.jpg
2MB, 3640x2736px
>>2851621
And I went to the underworld, it is unplayable

I'm pretty sure it's the TV, I don't have any way to play normal content on it
>>
>>2851615
Engineers used 480i color bars in studios for years. You won't die.
>>
>>2851627
That's insane.

Sorry if I'm repeating something that's already been said, but have you tried adjusting the contrast and/or brightness settings if possible.

To answer your VCR question, it'd give you the same general picture as if you just fed normal composite to said TV. The VCR won't be doing any type of scaling to the image.

>>2851636
And your point is? Having your color bars in 480p has made it clear you have the preference of seeing them in a progressive format; If there's a way to do that with SD sets, why not make use of it?
>>
>>2851627
And I'M also pretty sure it's your cables.
>>
File: 100_4465.jpg (1MB, 3640x2736px) Image search: [Google]
100_4465.jpg
1MB, 3640x2736px
>>2851642
From 3 different consoles?

>>2851641
Well if I pick up a normal LCD TV they don't all work with the N64 or something right?

I've set the contract and black levels to max

The previous shot was default settings

White levels are fine like the save point, but it's impossible to see anything that isn't bright colors
>>
>>2851652
Unplug EVERYTHING in your setup except one console and the wires connecting it to the TV and try.

Alternatively, that TV doesn't look like anything special anyway (though it could be your camera). Could get another one.
>>
>>2851652
What happens when you lower the contrast and black level options?
>>
>>2851652
I'd definitely lower the black level.
>>
>>2851653
the TV is some random RCA TV I've had forever, and the only thing plugged into the TV is the consoles

>>2851654
It gets impossible to see anything, it's like it's missing the ability to display color/contract when there isn't any white
>>
>>2851659
Turn down just black level, not contrast. Same thing?
>>
>>2851660
Either or it just makes it worse if both aren't at max
>>
>>2851652
G2 pot ?
>>
File: Pot.png (116KB, 899x559px) Image search: [Google]
Pot.png
116KB, 899x559px
>>2851664
I don't think I have one no
>>
>>2851664
What do you mean 'g2'? I get that you're referring to a potentiometer, but what is 'g2'?

I was thinking the 'screen' dial on the back of the flyback transformer on most consumer sets. That'd be what I'd try next if you're really CERTAIN it's not the cabling.
>>
>>2851669
yeah, screen / g2 is the same
>>
what's the easiest path to obtaining an rgb nes without being jewed? everything is backordered or hidden or links to youtube videos with old faggots rambling
>>
>>2851742
Do the mod yourself?
>>
>>2851742
Doesn't it already have RCA out?
>>
>>2851763
yes
>>
>>2851742
you can't, the NESRGB board costs $100 on its own.

MY solution as a proud PVM owner was to stay with composite because it's really not that bad on the NES like it is on a lot of consoles.
>>
File: ï½·ï¾€.jpg (268KB, 725x406px) Image search: [Google]
ï½·ï¾€.jpg
268KB, 725x406px
>>2851495
What wrong with the 100hz TV?
>>
>>2851928
image processing that produce picture artifacts
>>
>>2851742
You'll have to pay for something. It is impossible to get RGB from an NES without a mod that requires typically costly additional components. As has been alluded to, the best option for said mod is installing an NESRGB board from viletim. Other options include a PC10 PPU mod (inferior and takes a part from an arcade PCB) and buying something like the AnalogueNT (which is a PCB with an integrated NESRGB).
>>
>>2851937
*requires costly components
(removed typically)
there, fixed it for you.

It needs a FPGA (Field Programmable Gate Array), which is rather expensive.
>>
>>2851937
The Analogue NT rapes famicoms for their CPU's and PPU's. Don't buy one, they're shit.
>>
>>2851947
Yeah, I know. Just pointing it out as an option, but I'd think the high price and nonstandard appearance would drive away most people on here.
>>
>>2849380
great image, kya
>>
>>2849652
I'm going to sound like an audiophile, but the remake (at least the Japanese part) uses the 510 fadeless tracks which are only found in lossy 128kb/sec MP3 files, so the original sounds godly in comparison.

>proper music looping

It could have been way more proper instead of always starting the songs from the start. They didn't paid much attention.
>>
File: 20151213_170143.jpg (2MB, 1392x1380px) Image search: [Google]
20151213_170143.jpg
2MB, 1392x1380px
when i switch to RGB mode my wii turns everything pink and green, so im stuck with composite via scart

atleast i got a refund
>>
>>2852312
>when i switch to RGB mode my wii turns everything pink and green

Sounds like you have component and RGB mixed up somewhere.
>>
>>2852458
it was listed as an RGB scart cable, and my tv is yuro and works with all my other RGB scart cables, so they must've fucked up the wiring bigtime
>>
>>2852463
Wii outputs component over the same wires as RGB. Depends on if it's running in NTSC or PAL mode.
>>
>>2850559
games that would benefit from a CRT being without a 4:3 mode drives me nuts
>>
>>2850957
probably just MAME

all neo geo games boot up that way and the option menu shown there is actually just part of the cabinet settings menu. I think typically one of the F-keys is pressed to access the cabinet options

i recommend getting the universal bios for Neo geo since you can choose whether to load the game in console or arcade mode. you can also set the language and region.
>>
>>2852595
no anon I meant what emulator, to get those filters, it looks real af
>>
>>2852657
Most emus have scanline options, /new/.
>>
>>2845206
game gear Pokemon hack would be ideal lazy man solution.
>>
File: 20151213_133832~01~01~01.jpg (2MB, 2560x1668px) Image search: [Google]
20151213_133832~01~01~01.jpg
2MB, 2560x1668px
>>
>>2852671
yeah, shitty scanline options pic related, /visionproblems/.

the webm I posted shows some bloom and each frame wears out slowly like a CRT would, all the emus I tried so far can't do that.
>>
File: sufami_mod.jpg (300KB, 1050x578px) Image search: [Google]
sufami_mod.jpg
300KB, 1050x578px
How I modded my SuFami AV port for c-sync (using official RGB lead) and isolating the audio to avoid SCART hum.

Straightforward but idk it could help someone.
>>
do wii cables (RGB scart) work on an super famicom?
>>
>>2852859
No, different AV port.
>>
>>2852469
Slightly more to it than that, as bridging pins... 8 & 10 is it? will default a PAL system to component. That and forcing video modes often crashes the system can lead to it being easier to burn titles by region to get the video mode you want.
>>
Any tips on how to give my dead CRT a proper burial?
>>
>>2850615
It's not emulating
It's a port/remake build on a new engine
It's a new version of the game
>>
>>2851997
Pretty sure that only applies to the faded out part and not the rest of the tracks themselves no?

Either way you can probably easily mod the PC Version to include the Original Mega CD versions instead if that is the case(but I doubt that's the case...the guys at Sonicretro know their shit)
>>
>>2853038
>Pretty sure that only applies to the faded out part and not the rest of the tracks themselves no?

No, the bitrate is always abysmal. I venerate Sonic CD's soundtrack so I should know.

>you can probably easily mod the PC Version to include the Original Mega CD versions instead

I don't know. And Taxman is not the entirety of Sonic Retro, and he's not perfect although very talented and the instrumental songs were pretty much his work from the ground up. I just wish he didn't half ass the loops.
>>
>>2853043
So you're saying the Original Mega CD Versions have higher bitrate?
I know Wave Master released the Sonic CD Soundtrack years ago at a higher bitrate(yet they fucked some of the loops really badly...like Stardust Speedway Good Future)
I don't think the music was ever composed with loops in mind...that's one fuck up Sonic Team did back then

It wasn't Taxman who did the loops...it was GeneHF(or Gene Fujimori as he's credited)
>>
>>2852692
I played through the snes version the other day on my D20F1U, not that bad of a game.

Change it
Change it
We're there dude.
>>
>>2852993
>>
>tfw my Mario Bros machine is fucked because of vertical collapse after fixing the flyback and caps
>>
>>2852657
>>2852595
>>2852671
the original content was on a CRT
>>
>>2844679
literally broke out into a cold sweat when she started touching it goddamn
>>
File: 20151213_203153~01.jpg (2MB, 4497x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20151213_203153~01.jpg
2MB, 4497x2988px
>cell phone gets better pictures from a crt than my DSLR

Am I wrong for shooting with a 50mm at 1.8 1/30?
>>
>>2853035
That was more for other Sega CD titles, but you're completely right for Sanic; I misspoke.
Either way, I'd still like to be able to play the games in their original forms if possible.

>>2853389
What exactly is the problem? Is the DSLR not able to get a good focus on the screen, or?
>>
File: IMG_0490.jpg (4MB, 5184x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0490.jpg
4MB, 5184x3456px
>>2853393

I use the auto focus to get the screen, but its not as sharp and the scanlines arent as prominent

pic related was using 50mm f/1.8, 1/30 shutter

shot raw and processed
>>
File: DSC01799s.jpg (3MB, 5472x3648px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01799s.jpg
3MB, 5472x3648px
>>2853401
Try a higher f/stop and manually focusing.
It's possible that the you're either:

-Trying to shoot closer than the camera wants to focus
-Having the camera focus slightly forward from where the picture is actually "at".

What ISO are you using.

|||

Upon going and taking a shot or two myself, your shutter speed combined with wide aperture is letting too much light in and causing blooming between lines.

This is f/1.8, 1/30, ISO 100
>>
File: DSC01798s.jpg (4MB, 5472x3648px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01798s.jpg
4MB, 5472x3648px
>>2853417
And this is 1/60 shutter speed
>>
File: IMG_0504.jpg (4MB, 4144x3248px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0504.jpg
4MB, 4144x3248px
>>2853418
>>2853417

yeah i dipped it down to f/2.8 and got much better results.

i guess the higher aperature makes the auto focus throw out way too much stuff into the background
>>
File: 20151213_215026~01.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20151213_215026~01.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
Man this is a sweetass background for a snes game.
Music is sick too.
>>
File: 5000-Dell CRT Monitor Front.jpg (105KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
5000-Dell CRT Monitor Front.jpg
105KB, 1024x768px
So according to the emugen wiki, it recommends the Dell e771p monitor and claims it can do 240p, can anyone here confirm this?
>>
>>2853507

dont own one but a guy in this thread is running 240p
https://warosu.org/vr/thread/1132535

https://warosu.org/vr/thread/1318579

a guy here says it does double frame rate 240p mode?
>>
>>2853507
240p@120hz (from a computer)
Yes

240p@60hz from anything
No
>>
File: vScanlines2.webm (3MB, 1464x1080px) Image search: [Google]
vScanlines2.webm
3MB, 1464x1080px
>>2853373
it wasn't
>>
>>2853058
The Mega CD version is lossless. The PC version is lossy compressed audio.
>>
>>2852840
The other way to avoid SCART hum is, of course, to not use SCART.

...It has so many problems and people keep defending it as the 'best' RGB solution in NTSC regions.
>>
>>2853895
In that pic, I continue pulling audio out via my old RCA multi-out cable, and get RGB through the jacks.
>>
Page 6, New Thread:

>>2853901
>>2853901
Thread posts: 514
Thread images: 129

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.