[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pocketstation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3

File: pocketstation.jpg (1MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
pocketstation.jpg
1MB, 1600x1200px
Has anyone ever imported one of these? I remember there being a chocobo Tamagotchi-style mini-game in FF8, and being disappointed I couldn't play it.

I'm not 10 anymore, and no longer into virtual pets, but was there anything worthwhile with this peripheral?
>>
>>2838692
You already mentioned everything the pocketstation was good for.

For what it's worth, the FF8 PC release came with a Chocobo's Journey app that replicated the pocketstation tie in.
>>
File: PAQA_PocketStation_1001.jpg (49KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
PAQA_PocketStation_1001.jpg
49KB, 256x256px
>>2838692
Well I found this cover art, but I have no idea what it's about.
>>
>>2838692
RRT4 (US ver) lets you trade cars via IR on the pocketstation
A lot of games that did use it are JP only though.
>>
This is one of the best PS1 memory cards to use on the PS2. The PS2 is freakin picky when it comes to reading PS1 cards, but PocketStations always work great. Plus they're just kind of a cool to have.
>>
I have three. I use them for nothing at all... Bought when they were new for FF8 and all I ever did was look at it.
>>
>>2838692
There are various mini games for it, but without knowing Japanese to a decent degree it will be pretty useless for you. Homebrew exists too, but nothing really mentionable there (yet).
Before buying maybe try the emulator + all the roms for it to decide, since the pocketstation isn't really that cheap for a memory card with some gimmicks.
>>
I have a PocketStation and like it a lot. Sure, I can't really use anything its made for (besides saving games) but it's a nice little novelty item. It also looks pretty damn sweet in a PSOne.
>>
>>2839064
I've never had any trouble with PS1 memory cards on a PS2. Granted, I've only ever used official cards and not third party cards.
>>
What am I looking at here?
>>
I have one. I still don't know why. Never really used it.
>>
>>2839965
>What am I looking at here?

Something lewd.
>>
>>2839965
Interfacing a wonderswan with a pocketstation via the wonderwave addon.

IIRC the wonderwave is expensive so I doubt it's worth it. Probably used to interface between PSX and WS games from square, who released tons of ports on the WS (ff1, ff2, ff4, saga 1) as well as original games (two different chocobo games to name some).
>>
Poketstation was horrible. The FFVIII mini-game was boring and the device devoured batteries at light-speed.
>>
>>2839965
I love the clear, colored plastic; especially on that WonderWave. Why is this not a thing anymore?
>>
>>2840094
Because CD/DVD/BluRay lasers (or so it has been explained to me by some supposed industry insiders.)
>>
>>2840094
>>2840127
There's a transparent 2ds
>>
>>2838692
I got one 15 odd years ago for the FF8 mini game, not worth it then, not worth it now.

Actually it was a cool idea but was never fully utilized by developers and never released outside Japan.
>>
>>2838730
Is the app in the steam version?
>>
>>2840197
Does the 2ds have a laser?
>>
>>2840447
Yes
>>
>>2838692
>imported
No. It was only released here

>>2840091
>batteries
You're thinking of the VMU. If you are in fact thinking and not just parroting
>>
>>2840127
Tell me one current gen portable with a laser.
Yes, it's bullshit.
>>
>>2841093
I thought you meant in general.
>>
>>2842632
>>2842698
Uhm, PSP?
>>
>>2843503
Please stop posting if you can't follow a conversation.
>>
>>2843514
Best take your own advise kiddo. The PSP is current gen, portable, and has a laser.
>>
>>2839894
This is only an issue with later models, mostly the slim ones. Official cards have a much higher chance of working, but still not guaranteed.
>>
I love FF8, and a Pocketstation was the first thing I ever imported. Used to bring it to college and do some fights myself inbetween classes.

Great fun, also I'm a huge completionist and wanted to fill all FF8's item pages, of which there were many.
>>
>>2844514
PSP isn't current gen you dumbass, it's last gen.
Vita is current gen.
>>
>>2846921
PSP is still being sold. It's current.
Don't use an ambiguous term if you're going to sperg.
>>
>>2844514
I said IN GENERAL. As in consoles, handhelds, all that shit.
>>
>>2848326
I don't think you know how this works.
>>
Street Fighter Zero 3 and Crash Bandicoot 3 (Warped) also used it.
>>
>>2848326
The PSP was discontinued a year ago. In no way is it current.
>>
>>2848546
Will you, FOR SHIT SAKES, STOP talking about the goddamn PSP, I already showed you how you completely missed the point of the conversation.
>>
>>2848570
That was the first time I've posted in this thread. What the heck's your problem? I was just saying to whoever was saying the PSP is current that new models are no longer manufactured.
>>
>>2848691
Still being sold. Games still being released. It's current. Deal with it faggot.
>>
>>2849220
But it's NOT still being sold. It's been discontinued. Any PSPs still being sold are either leftover stock or used ones, but I can't seem to find a single retail store that still sells brand new PSPs. You could say that the Super Nintendo is still being sold because there's a few second-hand units at your local used game store, but that doesn't mean it's current.

The last game released for the PSP was in January, 11 months ago, about a month after it was discontinued, and that was only in Japan. The last game released in North America was in October 2014.

Why can't you face facts and realise that there is no measure in which you can call the PSP a current console?
>>
>>2848691
UMMM UMMMMM BUT THE PS2 STILL HAS GAMES COMING OUT THAT MAKES PSP CURRENT! *holds up sports game*
>>
>>2849343
I just like pointing out when people are wrong especially when they get so upset about it. I can find a brand new PSP no problem and there are still games coming out. If you want to say it's not the latest that's fine. Saying it's not current. Nah. Look up the definition of the word sport.
>>
>>2851183
Not him, let's clear this up. Current = latest. Consider taking english classes

>I can find a brand new PSP no problem
I can find a brand new anything, it's called ebay

>there are still games coming out
Dreamcast
>>
>>2851197
I did very will in my English classes. Like I said. Check a dictionary. Any reputable one will make it clear that "current" doesn't mean the most recent "generation" of video game consoles. It's so entertaining when kids get upset because a word doesn't mean what they think it means.
>>
So uh... where the fuck are you getting transparent PSPs?
>>
>>2851387
>I did very will
Kek

Current doesn't have to mean latest, I agree. The ps3 and xbox 360 are still current, but not the latest. But the psp no longer has manufacturer or developer support.

That's like calling Windows XP current because you can still find unregistered license keys, and some programs work on it. But no, its 14 years old and is no longer supported by Microsoft, so its not current.

If you go with the dictionary definition that you care so much about:
>Belonging to the present time; happening or being done now

I played some Zelda ii yesterday, and I'm sure quite a few others in this board played some NES,too. Does that make the NES current? It still exists now, and people still play it now. By the Oxford definition the NES is a current console, but that's not how the word is *ever* used in a gaming context, and you know it.
>>
>>2851672
If all the games slated to be released for the PSP are canceled then your theory about it no longer having developer support will prove correct. But as others have pointed out just having a game released isn't a good benchmark for being current. The 2600 would be current in that case. If you want to go by whether it's still in production the Genesis is current. If anyone wants to offer a strict quantifiable definition of what "current" means be my guest. If you can't then accept that a console manufactured up until last year, still widely used, that still has games coming out is current.

XP was discontinued years ago, the PSP much more recently. It's a poor comparison but brings up an interesting point. The latest windows is 10, which according to some faggots logic makes it the only "current" version. But few people use it. Few people use it's predecessors the 8s. Most people use 7. But 7 is 3+ versions old. The whole concept that there can only be one "current" thing is just something an autistic kid pulled out of his ass.
>>
shit, i remember these things, when they were announced i was so excited because my tiny child brain was under the impression that i could play playstation games on this tiny thing, somehow, eventually I grew up and realized this wasn't the case and found out that they were pretty worthless.
>>
>>2840127
The Sega Saturn had a clear version.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.