[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Now that the dust has settled, what was the best game in the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 20

File: gb1.jpg (63KB, 700x706px) Image search: [Google]
gb1.jpg
63KB, 700x706px
Now that the dust has settled, what was the best game in the GB library? (GBC also welcome)

Hard mode: No pokemans or Zeldas
>>
Wario Land
>>
Replayed Metroid 2 recently. Its pretty solid. Super Mario Land 2 is pretty up there as I recall.
>>
File: tetrisdxfront.jpg (383KB, 938x960px) Image search: [Google]
tetrisdxfront.jpg
383KB, 938x960px
>>
File: 2403007-power_quest_14.png (68KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
2403007-power_quest_14.png
68KB, 320x320px
Power quest
>>
Nettou King of Fighters' games are some of the best fightan experiences I ever had playing in a handheld
>>
>>2837989
>Not Wario Land 2 or 3
You have great taste. The pacing was much better, and the punishments for messing up in the middle of a level felt less harsh.

Might just be because I've only played WLII in Japanese.
>>
>>2836102
>>
Donkey Kong 94, then Super Mario Land 1

Fight me
>>
>>2838014
I like Wario Land 3, hate Wario Land 2

WL 2 is not just boring, but keeps 2/3rds of the game hidden in impossible to figure out ways
>>
File: Amanda.jpg (43KB, 435x595px) Image search: [Google]
Amanda.jpg
43KB, 435x595px
Seiken Densetsu / Final Fantasy Adventure
>>
Pokemon Gold/Silver.
>>
>>2837979
super mario 6 coins and wario pirate island hunting djinni woman game for game boy without color
>>
File: GameWatchGallery.jpg (1MB, 1533x1370px) Image search: [Google]
GameWatchGallery.jpg
1MB, 1533x1370px
Unpopular opinion: the game and watch gallery series.

Seriously, those games are addicting.
>>
>>2837979
6 Golden Coins, Kirby, and Donkey Kong '94 are all up there.
Honorable mention to the G&W collections and Avenging Spirit.
>>
Late addition: the Megaman Xtreme games were fantastic. Sure they were mostly rehashes, but they build up beautifully over the GB Mega Man games (better pace, no slowdowns)

Also, of course
MM 3 4 and 5
>>
>>2838313
thats a pretty good reply actually.
>>
File: GS_b01.gif (11KB, 320x288px) Image search: [Google]
GS_b01.gif
11KB, 320x288px
No love for SaGa 2 / Final Fantasy Legend II? Hands down the best RPG on the Game Boy. Maybe even the best handheld RPG ever.
>>
Just when was the dust kicked up, OP?
>>
File: DSC_3208.jpg (209KB, 1000x796px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_3208.jpg
209KB, 1000x796px
>>2838370
I love SaGa 2, but I had to put >>2838042 on top.
>>
>>2838393
When your mother showed me her dusty vagina.
>>
File: 1423617823023.jpg (43KB, 620x372px) Image search: [Google]
1423617823023.jpg
43KB, 620x372px
>>2838509
gross
>>
>>2837989
/thread
>>
>>2838313
>>2838370
Mah nigga

I recvomend Sword of Hope 2 as one of the best gameboy rpgs
>>
File: 46722_front.jpg (99KB, 640x641px) Image search: [Google]
46722_front.jpg
99KB, 640x641px
>>2837979
I'll throw you guys a curve ball.

I really enjoyed pic related as a kid. It's not the best game in the GB library but it often gets overlooked and never even mentioned.
>>
link's awakening tbqh
>>
>>2837996
I would sell my kidney to see a remake of it with better customization and WORLD that is bigger than 5 places
Damn I would sell even more than a kidney, like all my shame, humanity and social realtions to get Fighting RPG with CUTE Compact Fighting Gynoids
>>
Pokemon, Zelda and Mario are famous because they were the best games
>>
>>2839416
No, Zelda and Mario are famous because they are part of a franchise that was made popular by NES games.
Pokemon is famous because of the anime.
Not that those games weren't good but they are not the best on the system.
>>
File: Metal Gear Solid.jpg (34KB, 260x226px) Image search: [Google]
Metal Gear Solid.jpg
34KB, 260x226px
Yo.
>>
>>2838017
If the content were not hidden, would it still be your least favourite?
>>
File: Ffl_boxfront.jpg (49KB, 256x255px) Image search: [Google]
Ffl_boxfront.jpg
49KB, 256x255px
>>2838370
I always liked the first one a little more. Both are great though.

Though if I'm honest and ignore OP's hardmode, the truth is that Pokemon G/S/C blows them all out of the water.

>>2839434
For non-RPGs, this is the best game.
>>
File: 7_01.gif (9KB, 320x288px) Image search: [Google]
7_01.gif
9KB, 320x288px
>>2837994

Yeah, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Metroid 2 considering how much of a black sheep it is in the series. (Except Other M). Then I found this article about someone's thoughts on the game and appreciated it even more. Worth a read - http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/SRHoliwell/20150130/235329/A_Maze_of_Murderscapes_Metroid_II.php

Pic semi-related, the only part I actively disliked in Metroid 2 is that god damn dark room you need to navigate for a powerup in the ruined city. Ugh.
>>
>>2839434
Whatever do you mean mr. President?
If we're counting GBC in then yes MGS is a very good pretender
>>
File: 345678.jpg (114KB, 500x606px) Image search: [Google]
345678.jpg
114KB, 500x606px
Dragon Warrior Monsters
>>
>>2839594
>If we're counting GBC
You mean like OP mentions in his post?
>>
>>2839604

I'm surprised that the series is actually backward-compatible with the original Game Boy. Even DWM2 is, and it's one of the last games released before the end of the GBC's lifespan.

Too bad Nintendo didn't do the same with the Zelda Oracle titles.
>>
File: metroid_ii_world.gif (95KB, 2080x1440px) Image search: [Google]
metroid_ii_world.gif
95KB, 2080x1440px
>>2839585

>be me, teenager
>trade GB games with a friend and end up with a copy of Metroid II
>expect it to be a clone of NES Metroid
>pleasantly surprised with the game's atmosphere
>instead of tight corridors, there were massive chambers filled with ruins
>get to explore the internals of the ruins, morphing through nooks and crannies and spider-climbing up walls and ceilings

Metroid II had some of the best atmosphere in the series. The ambient soundtrack was appropriate as well. Too bad the player's POV is so limited. Nintendo probably should have gone with smaller sprites.
>>
>>2839645
It really is an underappreciated title. Could use a larger resolution as you say.

Dare I suggest it, I would do a GBA remake but i'd keep it black and white.
>>
File: mole mania.jpg (21KB, 225x224px) Image search: [Google]
mole mania.jpg
21KB, 225x224px
>>2837979
Mole
MOTHERFUCKING
Mania
>>
>>2839710
Came here to post this.

Also the Jap game For Whom the Frog Tolls
>>
>>2839428
No mate I'd have to agree with the first guy. Link's awakening is incredible, mario 1 is fun if a bit limited, mario 2 is excellent and the pokemon games are still going because they got such a dtrong start here. g/s/c have a scope beyond anything I could believe was possible at the time. I am still stunned now by the fact you coukd go back to kanto. How did they fit that in? Crazy.

Don't get me wrong, pretty much all the games posted here are fantastic, but I personally would say Link's awakening is the best game on the system. Hard mode I would say... I dunno there are so many great games! Gauntlet 2? Lemmings? Final fantasy legend 1, 2 and 3? Megaman 2? Megaman 2 is a strong game. Maybe that.
>>
I played Metroid II just recently expecting to dislike it, and I fucking loved it.

I wish the game was a little more open, but the level design was still fun to navigate and I really enjoyed the fact you could encounter a metroid at any time--though I do wish the game had a few unique boss fights to go with it.

It's really great, though. I might even say I liked it more than Fusion or Zero Mission despite its faults.
>>
Great Greed
Knight Quest
God Medicine
Turok
Sword of Hope
Stop that Roach
Tekkyu Fight! - The Great Battle Gaiden
The Punisher
Ninja Taro
Buster Bros
Mysterium
Monster Max
Noboow
Alien 3
Altered Space
Fortified Zone
Penta Dragon
ZAS
The Smurfs
The Smurfs' Nightmare
Obelix
Lucky Luke
Otto's Ottifanten
>>
>>2839434
Word
>>
>>2839645
That world looks bigger than Super Metroid.

>>2839686
I remember seeing somewhere someone was remaking is in the Metroid: Zero Mission/Fusion style.
>>
>hardmode: no zeldas
>implying a single gb/gbc zelda was at all good in any way
Each is hand-holding on-the-rails bullshit.
>>
>>2841526
Dungeon 6 in Link's Awakening required you to set bombs to trigger switches after a delay, which wasn't obvious back before Internet walkthroughs.
Dungeon 8 in Link's Awakening is still one of the all time great dungeon designs. Figuring out how to maneuver the ball required a lot of thought with zero hand-holding.
>>
>>2841536
Also filling in the holes with the moving thing in dungeon 7 wasn't at all obvious.
>>
>>2837979
>Now that the dust has settled
saged
hidden
>>
>>2841526
As opposed to the console ones which are super hard omg so difficult?

They're zelda games dude, not dark souls.
>>
The Smurfs and The Fidgets (never finished the last one)

And Super Mario World could be intense sometimes...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH9i-Qb6c9U
>>
I was pleasantly surprised that Parish in his Gameboy World series called Gargoyle's Quest one of the first true classics of the Gameboy library.
>>
>>2841886
To me that title belongs to Revenge of the Gators and he was contemplating this choice, but ultimately went for GG. It's definitely the better game, but Revenge of the Gators is still really good and came out before GG.
>>
If compilations count, the GB had several good ones that weren't just arcade shovelware.

- Konami GB Collection
Japan and Europe only, I think. Released in four different volumes. Had games like Castlevania, Gradius and Contra bundled together on one cart with added GBC palettes, and possibly SGB borders.

- Bomberman Collection
Japan only. I believe this cart had the Japanese versions of Atomic Punk, Wario Blast and Bomberman GB. Not really the best deal since later Bomberman games were a lot more fun than any of these titles.

- R-Type DX
Had both classic and color modes of R-Type 1 and 2. Great collection if you're into shoot-'em-ups.

- Game & Watch Gallery
The first and third one were great. Didn't care so much for the games on the second volume.

- Dragon Warrior I & II
Since it's a black cart, it's compatible with the original GB as well. Considering the combined length of these games, you definitely got your money's worth with this collection.

- Pac-Man: Special Color Edition (or something like that)
There was a two-in-one cart with both the original Pac-Man and Pac Attack, which is a nice Tetris-like game featuring Pac-Man. Although if you own a GBA, there's a more expansive Pac-Man collection for it.
>>
File: image.jpg (72KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72KB, 640x640px
I don't give a shit what you say OP

Pokemon yellow is the best game boy game of all time
>>
Whats are good comfy gb/gbc games to play during winter?
>>
>>2843135

Not really sure how you would define comfy, but maybe Kirby's Dream Land 2, Tetris Attack, Kirby's Block Ball, Kirby's Star Stacker, Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening...

Those are some games I can think of with bright aesthetics and a laid-back atmosphere.
>>
>Ctrl+F
>Shantae
>No results

I'm disapointed.
>>
>>2837995
Too bad level 5 is too gay.
>>
>>2843609
Because it's a mediocre game. The only notable things are the graphics and sound.
>>
File: Mad-Max-Fury-02.jpg (62KB, 625x417px) Image search: [Google]
Mad-Max-Fury-02.jpg
62KB, 625x417px
>>2843616
>mediocre
>>
>>2843640
Not him, but very seriously none of the Shantae games are all that great.
>>
Alleyway and The port of magical chase is pretty good.
>but really who actually owns magical chase its so damn expensive
>>
File: heiancover01.jpg (79KB, 640x625px) Image search: [Google]
heiancover01.jpg
79KB, 640x625px
Heiankyo Alien is a fairly nifty action game, and it even had a US release back in its day.
>>
File: 619BXJXDH9L.jpg (75KB, 485x500px) Image search: [Google]
619BXJXDH9L.jpg
75KB, 485x500px
I haven't actually played this one, but I've heard solid things about it. To be the predecessor of a good series like Lost in Blue, I can only assume it must have had some merit to it.
>>
File: cheetah 1389111584825.jpg (57KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
cheetah 1389111584825.jpg
57KB, 500x334px
>>2843661
Stop triggering me. They're all pretty great in my book...
The GBC one probably being my favourite.
>>
>>2845216
It's full of farming and backtracking, it's too easy even if you minimize farming, and the transformation dances are too slow.
>>
>>2838370
You think too similarly to me. I think Final Fantasy Legend II is the best on the Gameboy as RPG's go along with it still being the best handheld RPG made.

Have I split off into a second person, or am I part of you?
>>
greyscale, b/w, yellow or green?
>>
1) Wario land
2) Link's awakening
3 ) Donkey Kong (the one where you control Mario)
>>
>>2845329
>farming and backtracking
git gud (the need for farming quickly goes away as you progress btw)
>transformation dances too slow
minor gripe
>>
>>2843135
harvest mooooooon

also lemmings
>>
>>2841990
I have the konami gb collection 1, 2 and 3. 4 is a fucking phantom. Can't even find it, let alone buy it for a squillion pounds.

1 is pretty great. Castlevania, Contra, Gradius and... Something else? A racing game that sucks I think? And yes castlevania is balls to the wall hard, but it's still kind of fun.

The other two aren't quite up to the same level, but still some good stuff on there.

4 though, 4 has some great games. Good luck finding it though.
>>
>>2838016
>DK 94
Great taste
>sml1
Wtf
>>
>>2845603
Despite being inferior to its sequel, I always thought Super Mario Land was pretty good. The soundtrack was also better, but that's another story.
>>
>>2843616
>>2843661
Thank you! Seriously, I thought I was the only one that couldn't understand why everyone has a boner for that game.
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.