[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DNF circa 1998

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: duke-nukem-forever-boxart[1].jpg (40KB, 170x202px) Image search: [Google]
duke-nukem-forever-boxart[1].jpg
40KB, 170x202px
I'm basing this thread on the '98 showcase of Duke Nukem Forever. Here's the footage in question:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR6qFFEkALg

The trailer makes the game look promising however it's not clear how much of it was actually a part of the produced gameplay or just a simulation of one. For example the 2001 trailer was all a bluf, nothing there was produced for the game. We are left to guess if the '98 one was a one too.

Anyways, the game looks cinematic beyond it's time. Closest PC rival is Half-Life at that's nowhere near the level of action.

Do you think such a game would've been actually released it would've ushered the era of cinematic FPS games much earlier instsead of it ended out?
>>
ahh sorry should've read before posting with mistakes

> Do you think such a game would've been actually released it would've ushered the era of cinematic FPS games much earlier instsead of it ended out?

Do you think DNF would've ushered the era of cinematic FPS games earlier if it had been released then?
>>
Tacky misogynistic macho man garbage. Sage.
>>
File: Dnf_scroller_4.jpg (58KB, 643x402px) Image search: [Google]
Dnf_scroller_4.jpg
58KB, 643x402px
I would've prefered the 1996 version.
>>
>>2835976
Well you have the Manhattan Project for that.
Duke only really take off with the 3D series so you can't expect the next blockbuster in the series to be a platformer game.
>>
>>2835949
I don't think it would have been that great no matter what version we got. One of the big flaws about DNF was that 3D Realms kept starting all over again whenever there was a new widely popular FPS game introduced and it's really evident while playing it seeing each major game it copied over the years of development. I have a feeling the game would have always felt extremely derivative even if it wasn't delayed to hell and back.
>>
File: 119.jpg (78KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
119.jpg
78KB, 960x960px
>>2835960
>>
I feel like duke 3d can't be reproduced. Even atomic edition added too many stupid and not-funny humorous things, eg, duke burger.

The thing that these guys (3drealms) forget is that what made the original duke 3d such a blast/success was that it was 'serious'. What I mean is, even though the "tacky misogynistic macho man garbage," as one anon put it, was obviously lame and a reference to various 80s movies, it was presented in a serious way, which made it cool.

At least, from my perspective. Even the cheesiest of lines, if said by a badass, sound badass.

I bought DNF for 5 bucks at gamestop & obviously was heartbroken. It's like whoever made it never played Duke Nukem 3d.
>>
>>2836815
You're a retart.
>>
>>2836815

What this guy said: >>2837035 .
>>
>>2836815
This isn't completery wrong. Atomic Edition had a HUGE influence on how people see DN3D and even Duke Nukem as a whole. It accentuated the comical aspects by a large margin, that is instead of a joke or two here they are, they were everywhere, from the very themes of levels themselves. And that's how everyone remembered DN3D.

This being said the original DN3D isn't full serious either. It's full of parodies and references. Just far from as much as in Atomic Edition and DNF. But it could be serious and even scary at the same time.

I think the game was victim of its success. I think everyone kept talking about how fun the humorous bits were so that's what the devs decided to focus on for Atomic Edition... which then sticked on.

As for DNF, I think the best version would have been the one worked on in Build. Officially the first DNF version was using Quake engine, but before that happened, they were already working on a Duke Nukem 3D sequel but using what they had, Build, which they had enhanced so much to the point it could have as much Y-axis based level design as Quake.
If they didn't change engine we'd probably have had a sequel sooner too. A sequel like what Doom 2 is to Doom or what Rides Again In Arkansas is to Redneck Rampage; except with the engine technically advanced, would have been the best for me.
>>
>>2837109
>but using what they had, Build, which they had enhanced so much to the point it could have as much Y-axis based level design as Quake.

As far as I remember Silverman presented a finalized version of Build ready for production in 1994. After that it was all consultation and collecting cash for him. Guess 3dRealms had the time to invest into upgrading the engine for another game but with Quake coming out a next generation game could no longer be 2.5d. At least that's what I gather.
>>
I would have been satisfied if they released the E3 2001 build. That seemed like the last chance the game had at being decent, and it looked good for the time.
>>
>finish DNF after waiting at the midnight launch
>watch the old trailers in the special features
>exploring vast open areas of Los Vegas
>brightly lit levels
>feeling bad after shuffling 6 hours through dark corridors with lame references to movies/tv shows/pop culture that were old news
>>
>>2837461
1994's Build pales in comparison to Shadow Warrior's or Blood's for that matter.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.