[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dracula X - Rondo of Blood comparison

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 11

>graphics
Dracula X, but barely

>music
Rondo, but barely

>controls
Dracula X, but barely

>game flow
Rondo, no contest

>difficulty
Rondo, but barely

>bonus features
Rondo, no contest

>overall gameplay
Rondo

>overall choice
Rondo
>>
SNES version is better. Rondo is too easy and gets ruined by waifufaggotry.
>>
>>2831717
Agree but Dracula X is still a quite decent game.

Why better controls on DX tho?, they were pretty similar iirc
>>
>>2831717
>graphics
>Dracula X, but barely
Only the first level of X looks better than Rondo. The rest is very dry.

>music
>Rondo, but barely
Rondo is much better.

>controls
>Dracula X, but barely
Rondo is much better.

>difficulty
>Rondo, but barely
X is much more anal.
>>
>Rondo
Exquisite, delicate Italian veggie pizza.

>CVX
Cheap, greasy American meat pizza.
>>
>>2831720
Hipster in a nutshell. Die pls.
>>
Super IV > Dracula X > Castlevania 68000 > Bloodlines > Rondo of Blood

The one true ranking of 16-bit Castlevanias.
>>
>>2831775
>Super IV > Bloodlines
>Dracula X > *
ew
>>
File: p4gjz.jpg (23KB, 592x444px) Image search: [Google]
p4gjz.jpg
23KB, 592x444px
>>2831768

>I bet you play as maria, too
>>
File: DXmaria.jpg (141KB, 280x640px) Image search: [Google]
DXmaria.jpg
141KB, 280x640px
There's already a Castlevania shitposting thread, did we need another one?

Also, I like the music better on Dracula X (much better arrangements), but the controls are better on Rondo IMO (although Drac X's controls aren't bad as many people say, they're more similar to 1 and 3's Simon controls).

Difficulty is also much higher on Dracula X and this is not up to personal opinion, right from the first level the difficulty on Drac X is high, while Rondo's first level is a walk in the park, I don't think it's possible to die on Rondo's first level at all. Bosses are also a lot harder on Dracula X.

Overall, I'd say I like Rondo better, but anyway Dracula X is its own game and I like it too.
Fuck the "hurr bad port of Rondo" meme.
>>
>>2831771

muh waifu: the post
>>
ITT: unpopular opinions

Castlevania > Castlevania 3
Dracula X > Rondo of Blood
Bloodlines > SC4
>>
>>2831862
ok opinion
bad opinion
good opinion
>>
>>2831862
>Make sence
>No sence (port for a weaker console CANT be better then original)
>Genesis > SNES sence
>>
>>2831862

good opinion
great opinion
meh opinion
>>
File: notthisagain.jpg (8KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
notthisagain.jpg
8KB, 480x360px
>>2831876

>port
>>
reminder that

metroidvania > classicvania
>>
>>2831876
>port
>different levels, bosses, music, controls and style of level design
>>
>>2831789
Castlevania > Castlevania 3 > Dracula X > Rondo > SOTN > IV > Castlevania 2

You want to fucking goddamn fight about it?
>>
>>2831775
Snes fanboy at full force
>>
>>2831917
i agree with this tasteful gentleman
>>
>>2831921
this, basically.
>>
>>2831921
>>2832036

A REAL snes fanboy wouldn't place Rondo after Bloodlines.
>>
III > Rondo > IV > Chronicles > I > II >>>>>> CVX
>>
>>2832052
>II >>>>>> ANY castlevania
This is dumbest opinion in this thread. You should feel bad.
>>
>>2832064
X is just that... meh.
>>
>>2832072

it's a bad port of rondo, amirite guise?
>>
>>2832078
It's a demake of Rondo.
>>
>>2832079

hahaha
>>
>>2831917
>IV lower than Metroid with swords
>putting the easiest CV in first
Kill yourself.
>>
>>2831851
>3
>Simon
Nigga you dumb.
>>
>>2831775
Swap Dracula X and 68000 and you have my list.
>>
Fuck Dracula X and how it handles spawning continuous enemies. No it isn't acceptable to spawn a bat from the wall on the wall I have to hug to get to another platform. It just ends up spawning on me and I end up taking unavoidable damage. All the other Castlevania games switch which side the enemy will spawn according to your position so you won't get cheap damage like that.

Those lance knights constantly blocking your shots is retarded, especially when you have to go up to an elevated platform thus their chance to block your attack has gone up dramatically since they have the higher ground.
>>
>>2832435

Come on nerd, you know what I mean. Trevor has 'simon controls'.
>>
>>2831717
>>graphics
>Dracula X, but barely
Not in the least.

That screenshot? Sure, maybe. But you have to compare the later levels of the game, and where Rondo shines is not in gigantic things but the little touches--little touches that are largely missing from Dracula X, which feels lifeless and dead in comparison.

Like, Rondo has those little skeleton dudes who pop out from behind the trees. That's one of my favourite touches in any Castlevania game ever; they make me laugh every fucking time. Dracula X never gets anywhere close to that level of pure personality.
>>
>>2832468
This, fuck the lance knights and fuck Castlevania X.
>>
>>2832468
>>2832945

jesus christ, get good.
use sub-weapons if you must. Holy water works well with knigths.
>>
>>2832954
There's gitting gud and then there's bullshit.

Dracula X is the latter.
>>
File: draculax1055.jpg (38KB, 540x405px) Image search: [Google]
draculax1055.jpg
38KB, 540x405px
>>2832959

holy water nigger

or you can not equip any sub-weapon and use the super flaming whip for more range and damage
>>
File: x240-Gle[1].jpg (22KB, 275x240px) Image search: [Google]
x240-Gle[1].jpg
22KB, 275x240px
>>2831717
I see a lot of people claiming that the first level of DX looks better than the first level of RoB. I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree. The fire effect in DX is technically impressive, but it's just not very visually appealing. It's such a grating and obnoxious effect to put in the background, and the colors are just horribly gaudy.

RoB has much more tasteful colors, contributing to a more effective atmosphere, and the level of detail is so much higher.

No contest, RoB has the prettier first level.

I'm not even gonna go into how dull the rest of DX looks next to RoB.

I like this section though.
>>
>>2831810
Yes, it is a girl's name. She's a girl... Have you ever even played the game?
>>
>>2832954
I have beaten Dracula X. No it is terrible design and is in no way shape or form fun. How can you also get good on enemies spawning RIGHT ON TOP OF YOU WITH TERRIBLE SPAWN POINTS? It is a terribly thought out Castlevania game and it is never fun dancing around with the lance knights. I have beaten Castlevania 1, 3, 4, Rondo of Blood, Bloodlines, and X and X is easily the weakest among all of them.
>>
>>2834475
You're salty cuz the game made you mad
We get it

It's a great Castlevania
>>
>>2831862
Castlevania < Castlevania 3
Dracula X > Rondo of Blood
Bloodlines = SC4
>>
>>2834659
Agreed save for Bloodlines, not sure why people cream themselves over that one, probably the weakest linear CV.
>>
>>2834720
The weakest linear 16bit CV is Dracula X.
>>
>>2834764

Dracula X has alternate paths though. (not as many as Rondo, but it has levels 4' and 5')
>>
i was hoping this was gonna be a good thread with comparison screenshots
>>
Compare this

http://www.vgmaps.com/Atlas/TG16/Castlevania-RondoOfBlood(J)-Stage2-EntranceToCastlevania.png

To this plain garbitch

http://www.castlevaniacrypt.com/img/dx/maps/stage-2.png

Rondo might look like it sticks to NES palette in look, but there's better lore and fitting graphics and tilesets, DracX just looks washed out and out of place.
>>
>>2834913
heck speaking of Lore, look at the similarities in certain areas with the clock tower of Rondo

http://www.vgmaps.com/Atlas/TG16/Castlevania-RondoOfBlood(J)-Stage7-ClockTower.png

and the one with SOTN

http://vgmaps.com/Atlas/PSX/Castlevania-SymphonyOfTheNight-Dracula'sCastle-ClockTower.png

DracX comes short

http://www.castlevaniacrypt.com/img/dx/maps/stage-6.png
>>
>>2834764
At least Dracula XX has standard classic-style controls, no auto-scrolling stages, and no OP blue orb item that instakills bosses. Bloodlines was garbage. Also the graphics and level design were much better in XX. The only thing Bloodlines had over it was the music by Yamane, but it sounded terrible on the Genesis sound chip.
>>
>>2834936
>>2834913

both look pretty good to me.

In fact I like the clock tower on Drac X a lot better than on the other 2, it's a lot more complex, like in CV III, and has great background details (Rondo has that kinda boring brick wall), not to mention the amazing boss fight with Death at the top of the clock.
>>
i like how this thread has turned from 'dracula x vs rondo' to 'which is worse, bloodlines or dracula x'
>>
>>2834957
>Amazing boss fight with Death
There is no better Death boss fight in the Castlevania series than in Rondo of Blood. Rondo of Blood isn't my favorite Castlevania game, but there is no doubt it has the best Death fight.
>>
File: CVDX1932M.png (9KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
CVDX1932M.png
9KB, 256x224px
>>2834975

It's cool, especially when he jumps to the background and summons these giant demon heads (although all you have to do is walk to avoid them), but fighting Death at the top of the clock feels more fitting than fighting him on some ghost ship, when he takes off his cape and fights using his scythe doesn't feel as dangerous in Rondo because there's a lot of space, at the top of the clock tower it's narrower so it feels a lot more threatening.
>>
Here's the One True Castlevania Tierlist:

Elder God Tier:
Super Castlevania IV

High Tier:
Dracula's Curse

Mid Tier:
Castlevania
Castlevania X68K
Adventure ReBirth
Rondo of Blood
Belmont's Revenge
Dracula XX

Low Tier:
Vampire Killer
Kid Dracula
Legends
Bloodlines
Simon's Quest
Haunted Castle

Shit Tier:
The Adventure
I'm glad we could settle the debate once and for all.
>>
the dracula fight in cvx is blander than hell
>>
>>2835024

no Dracula fight is blander than on Rondo.
>>
>>2835029
see >>2835024
>>
>>2835024
it's the second hardest drac fight in the series though
>>
File: draculax.jpg (204KB, 640x1105px) Image search: [Google]
draculax.jpg
204KB, 640x1105px
I like this version the best.
>>
File: Akumajo_Dracula_XX_Art_Dracula_2.jpg (282KB, 1000x1400px) Image search: [Google]
Akumajo_Dracula_XX_Art_Dracula_2.jpg
282KB, 1000x1400px
>>2835030
see >>2835029

>>2835037
This one got the dracula fight fixed with the new 3rd form, although it's weird to see Dracula with butterfly wings.
>>
>>2832429
>Games easier than the first Castlevania
>Sotn
>IV
>Rondo of Blood
>Dracula X
>>
>>2835241
nothing is hard about the first CV other than the death fight, also it's extremely short

Even SotN takes more thinking to beat than it
>>
>>2835029
Portrait of Ruin. Dracula was piss-easy, even with Death backing him up. Awesome boss theme though.
>>
Rondo looks better motion as it is better animated

XX is like a Chinese bootleg
>>
>>2835667
>XX is like a Chinese bootleg

memester, please. (gotta admit, at least you didn't said it was a port, so kudos for that)

both have about the same kind of animation.

I really like the animations for Necromancer (Drac X exclusive boss btw)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR-B-nK0L8k
>>
>>2832052
First 2 are spot on
>>
Rondo forever ruined Dracula, before he was actually an ominous being, then he turned into an anime villain
>>
>>2831881

This is undoubtedly true.

Like, obviously otherwise they're just particularly good platformers rather than immersive experiences.
>>
File: 2015-12-06_00004.jpg (655KB, 1920x1076px) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-06_00004.jpg
655KB, 1920x1076px
You know what's a good non-Clastevania Castlevania game ? Odallus: The Dark Call. It's retro by the first definition of the word but not this board's definition of it.
You guys should check it out, it's a good middleground between classic Casltevania and Metroidvania.
>>
>>2841665
>Clastevania
>>
>>2841665
>Casltevania
>>
>>2835667
>Rondo looks better motion
>>
>>2841665
>It's retro by the first definition of the word
The word "retro" had a broader meaning in Latin before the French adapted it. You have no idea what you're talking about. Do you also think that retrograde rockets are trying to imitate the past?
>>
>>2841665

>indieshit

no thanks.
>>
File: 1413231865191.png (208KB, 361x691px) Image search: [Google]
1413231865191.png
208KB, 361x691px
>any SNES castlevania
>good
next you'll tell me that the N64 games were masterpieces
>>
>>2831717
>graphics
Dracula X, but barely

Maybe in the town.
Rondo maxed out the pc engine.

Dracula X was very bland and generic after the town.
>>
>>2844128
>Do you also think that retrograde rockets are trying to imitate the past?

"Retrograder" means going back, or backwards. Not saying the rockets themselves go back though.

And actually I do know what I'm talking about. I studied language history at University, among other language-related things.
Meanings of word evolve with time, "retro" (and not "retrograde(r)" which even though it shares a same root must have a different history altogether) at first referred to things which imitated other past things or tried to remind of it. As in, Odallus would be retro, but not Castlevania, which is just old.
With time the world evolved to the point it can also refer to actual old things, my theory being that people started using the word "retro" widely in a confusion of what was actually old and what was just trying to look old.

Both definitions are still valid today despite this board's attempt to make us believe otherwise. To be 100% correct this board should be called "old games" rather than "retro games" since it only accepts the 2nd definition of the word retro.
>>
>>2845653
>blah blah blah I broke a rule but I have a degree so it's ok

Why do you have such a hard time talking about actual retro, actual CASTLEVANIA games in these threads?
>>
>>2845628

wow, nice contrarianism!

careful with those edges though
>>
>>2831881
No.
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.