[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cartridge can survive in water for days?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 2

File: SNES-SFAM-Cartridges.jpg (2MB, 3720x1980px) Image search: [Google]
SNES-SFAM-Cartridges.jpg
2MB, 3720x1980px
Someone throws SNES & N64 cartridges to a water canal and im thinking to go with some friends and try to recover the games from the water. It happens the last week. Can i save the cartridges or they are 100% dead now?
>>
>>2831012

let them dry, clean pcb with rubbing alcohol, let dry again, then try.
>>
The cartridges themselves are fine, minus sticker damage. The games' boards within are fucked.
>>
Salt water they're fucked.
Fresh water might be ok but probably fucked.
>>
>>2831012
if they dont work i'll buy them from u
>>
Is not salt water thats for sure. But don't know if was dirty water.
>>
>>2831012
SAVE THOSE CARTS, ITS YOUR DUTY AS A GAMER
>>
>>2831012
Take out the PCB's and remove the batteries if they have them. Clean them with tap water first and then with deionized water. Finally let them dry in an oven at about 50°C for a few hours.

That's pretty much what we do at work for washing PCB's, except we clean the PCB's in an ultrasonic bath first.
>>
If i get to save the carts i will be posting pics. Hope that someone dosen't recovered them already.
>>
What do people saying they're dead think happens when an unpowered printed circuit board comes into contact with water? Does it just vapourize? There may be some damage but realistically if you dry them out they'll probably be fine. Water does nothing to unpowered electronics on its own, people wash fully populated circuit boards all the time
>>
Why were people throwing video games into a canal?
>>
The games were from a friend and some bitch get mad with him and stole the Carts, a N64 controller and a NES and throw all to the dirty water canal. Friend says i can keep the whole thing if i go for it.
>>
File: 1445430651971.jpg (133KB, 527x588px) Image search: [Google]
1445430651971.jpg
133KB, 527x588px
>>2831012
OP, my guess is that they should still work. Only the stickers and batteries will be messed up. The circuit board material used in the carts is almost certainly FR4, which has near zero water absorption, so the PCBs should be okay.

Don't listen to >>2831017, he doesn't know what he's talking about. A short can't damage a circuit if there is no electrical energy flowing through it. Furthermore, if any of the carts have battery backed up memory, the voltage and currents from the battery will be too low to damage any of the ROMs or SRAMs. On the other hand, the batteries themselves are likely depleted and will need to be replaced. You will still be able to play a battery backed up game (and even save), but memory will be lost when you turn off the console's power.

The only thing you'll have to do is let them _thoroughly_ dry before you try to play them.
>>
>>2831161
My guess is that salt water causes more corrosion. But that'd hopefully take a while to set in.
>>
>>2831138

I'm more interested in how THAT'S gonna work out now instead of the cartridges...
>>
>>2831161
>Don't listen to >>2831017, he doesn't know what he's talking about. A short can't damage a circuit
Do you not know what corrosion is, champ? A short isn't what I'd worry about.
>>
>>2831207
Ain't nothing going to be corroded in a day or two. Take them apart and clean them. It's not even hard.
>>
>>2831214
Never been to an ocean?
Shit would be dead in a few hours let alone over a fucking week.
>>
>>2831214
I suspect the same.

Also the tin in the solder may act as a sacrificial anode to protect the copper. If that's the case, even if there was corrosion the copper contacts would be fine.

If it isn't the case, it's not difficult to brew up some solvent from household materials to dissolve the patina.
>>
>>2831012
As long as the water does not dissolve anything on the boards, then the carts will work fine AFTER they dried out. You may want to clean them up with isopropyl alcohol though.

If there are any batteries or electrolytic caps in there, you may want to change them to new ones.
>>
>>2831224
>Shit would be dead in a few hours
That's saltwater, not acid rain. It corrodes, doesn't dissolve. Unprotected and uncoated iron loses 1mm a YEAR in saltwater to rust. I highly doubt either brass or bronze or gold or whatever the fuck the contacts are made out of will corrode that quickly. They could probably sit down there for a few weeks with no major issues beyond the damage that has already been done to the label and battery.

Just because you can hook a battery to a iron nail and force oxidization within a half hour doesn't mean that sort of shit happens naturally in the wild.
>>
have fun finding a dead body, OP.
>>
>>2831258
>0.00137 inch of copper
>lasting a salt water environment

It's cute when you kids think you know shit but stop.
>>
Im pretty sure is not salt water anyways.
>>
>>2831296
It's submerged, not getting bathed in seawater and brought back up a couple of hundred times a day like copper on a boat is. Do you have some science to back you up?
>>
>>2831403
Man, I have wrecked half a dozen keyboards just by spilling a cup of water on them, and you're trying to say these carts will be fine after bathing in pond scum for multiple days? Nigga you nuts.
>>
>>2831434
your keyboard was hooked to a power source.
>>
Spitball math on corrosion rates tells me you you might get away with it if you do it pretty damn soon. But really, going diving for cartridges sounds like a good enough story to justify on its own.
>>
>>2831459
Actually, two of them weren't.
>>
>>2831434
Keyboards are active circuits when hooked to your computer. Unconnected carts are not.
>>
>>2831012
Unless there's battery they're probably fine. Even if there's damage they can easily be fixed.

>>2831112
Yes this is what kids actually believe. They've read it >9000 times on teh intarwebz so it's a fact.
salt water: vapourize (vaporize if in the new world)
clean with less that >9000.>9000% alcohol: same
>>
>People thinking you can't put a PCB in water
>2015

Jason at game-tech who's pretty well known for RGB modding NES' does a video where he cleans pcbs and he throws them in his filthy as fuck sink with soap and water. Guy knows his shit about electronics, so y'all nigs need to get educated.

Battery won't do much damage honestly.

The games are probably ruined label wise. You're going to need to get them asap, wash them off with tap (or ideally) filtered water to get rid of any salt. Let the boards completely air dry, but you can use a hairdryer or something to speed up the process as long as it isn't too hot.

Use alcohol or contact cleaner to clean the boards again after the initial rinse with water. Theres probably a shitload of corrosion and maybe some battery acid leaking if there are batteries. Clean the boards gain, and replace the batteries if there are any, since its probably destroyed as well, but it could be dead anyways just from being old and used.

I'd wait about 15-20 minutes after cleaning the boards just because I'm paranoid as fuck to make sure they are dry. Obviously just use a "queue" system since you're going to be doing a bulk clean by the sounds of it/.

PCB's are a lot hardier then people give them credit for honestly.

The shells themsleves are probably fine, just wash with soap and water and a toothbrush or something to get into the grooves in the carts. Then just let them air dry. A reproduction label or some other way to identify the game will be helpful.

Good luck op, maybe you find something cool.
>>
>>2831138

Is this Brazil? It sounds like Brazil.
>>
>>2831536
>>2831112
The amount of superstition concerning both hardware and software on this board (and others) is unsettling.

The confidence of people in asserting these superstitions like they know what they are talking about is absolutely dumbfounding.
>>
>>2831112
>>2831161
What if there's electric eels in the canal?
>>
>>2831012
My console from the 80's was fine with 20 years of rain on it. A new console like an xbox would probably have some problems but older electronics are normally fine.
>>
>>2831012
They'll live. Batteries will probably be dead but can be replaced. The games themselves will play. Just be sure to clean them off real well.

I had a commodore VIC-20 survive being submerged in water for a week once.
>>
>>2831258
Bare copper corrodes very quickly. But probably it's plated with gold or nickel or something, so it won't corrode.
>>
this thread is funny. we used to put a 7 layer, thousand dollar pcb, fully populated, through the dishwasher to clean them
>>
Is México, im from México.
>>
>>2831980
b-b-but my water maymay. How can millions of kids be wrong? Did we not protest about this enough?
>>
>>2831980
>>2832012
>dumb kids actually can't tell the difference between tap water and a canal

Holy shit. That's some hardcore 3rd world problems.
>>
>>2832113
Yeah, theres gonna be shit in the canal, but its not going to be nearly as much of a problem as you make it out to be.
>>
>>2832116
After over a week I don't think so.
>>
>>2832113
It's OK dumb kid. Just don't drink either in your in your 3rd world shithole. Neither will vaporize your cart.

>>2832118
>I don't think
Got that part right at least
>>
Bumping for update
>>
>>2834689

OP probably entered the water briefly and got corroded so much that he couldn't swim back out
>>
>>2834758
Rip in peace, op. You were the fammest of the famm, teebeeaiche
>>
i love this site love soo funny i found the smart ppl #holdmydickmudkip
>>
>>2831462
Then you let the shit you spill gunk up so that when you did connect it, it shorted shit. It's simple fucking electrical circuits you figure it the fuck out retard.

If you haven't tossed them, open them up and fucking take a look. Or do it next time you find shit has spilled on it. Mind you it takes longer to dry shit out if it the moisture doesn't have access to air flow.
>>
Water doesn't do a fucking thing to unpowered electronics except clean them. Oxidization on the other hand can fuck them. If they have got wet then dried out multiple times they may have oxidized. Open them up and use a toothbrush to scrub any flaky white scale early oxidization you see. Rinse them back off with clean water and let the boards dry in front of a fan for a few hours and they will be good to go. I actually run neo geo MVS boards through my dishwasher in a no heat cycle with no detergent. Those things get nasty sitting in smoke filled bowling alleys, bars and what not. I just make sure they are bone dry before I power them.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.