[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are you on board with the current meme of "old sonics were

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 512
Thread images: 52

File: hydrocity.png (12KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
hydrocity.png
12KB, 320x224px
Are you on board with the current meme of "old sonics were always bad, you just thought otherwise at the time"? it's just people jumping on the bandwagon or there's any truth to this?
>>
>baseless post-ironic millennial opinions
>truth

you tell me OP
>>
The only thing I hate about the genesis games is the lack of roll jumping.
>>
I've played the Sonic games at many different stages of my life, and they're always fun. I'm assuming that meme is coming from the same underage b& who complain about people abbreviating the original playstation as PSX.
>>
>>2816348
>old sonics were always bad, you just thought otherwise at the time
Probably some kind of Nintendo zealots praising Aonuma Zelda games while shitting on Adventure of Link without even playing it.
>>
>>2816348
Stop saying meme. And who gives a fuck, play it and if you like it, great, if not, whatever.
>>
>>2816348
They haven't aged as well as Mario, but they were decent games.
>>
I've never liked them but I don't think they're bad. I do find them a bit overrated compared to other well regarded platformers though.
>>
>>2816348
I didn't think otherwise at the time. I never like 'old sonic' gameplay.
>>
>>2816389
Why did Mario age better?
>>
>>2816406
Because you hold left to win.

Sometimes Sonic had to go right.
>>
>>2816348
I never liked Sonic even back in the day, but I was also not very good at them either, and I don't blame the game for that. This whole "Sonic had bad design" stuff is untrue.
>>
>>2816374
>underage b& who complain about people abbreviating the original playstation as PSX
Wait, that's a thing? What the fuck is wrong with them?
>>
>>2816406

Well Mario doesn't rely on a gimmick as the default movement.
>>
File: sage.this.thread.gif (14KB, 93x31px) Image search: [Google]
sage.this.thread.gif
14KB, 93x31px
>Not formulating your own opinion

>Calling opinions memes

Kill yourself
>>
>>2816424

Are you really so sheltered that you don't think people base their opinions on memes
>>
>>2816421
How is momentum a gimmick?
>>
>>2816430
Yes, because I have a hint of respect for people to be critically thinking adults.
>>
>>2816437

Because it's actually too fast. A good platformer shouldn't require guessing or memorization
>>
>>2816376

You're not any better if you deflect it to "nintendo zealots" boogeymen while at the same time shitposting about Zelda.
>>
>>2816406
It's slower paced and more accessible, so it's easier for modern gamers to play. The slower pace also works better on an LCD because the lag is much less of an issue. It also helps that the NES is the only 3rd gen console that your average person knows of, and Mario was Nintendo's mascot for a long time. Sonic only came along in the 4th gen, and only people who had a Genesis have any nostalgia for the franchise.

>>2816420
Newbies seem to think that /vr/ will be impressed by their knowledge of an obscure Japan-only variant of the Playstation. They weren't around when the Playstation was a modern console and everyone abbreviated it as PSX.
>>
>>2816348
I've always liked sonic. The first 4 games, anyway. It seems like the internet made him a joke, and now people play the old games for the first time expecting it to be a retarded experience.
>>
>>2816460
>and now people play the old games for the first time expecting it to be a retarded experience.
wouldn't they be surprised then if they were actually good
>>
>>2816464

You'd be surprised, but most of the times people's perception of something has a lot to do with their pre-conceived ideas.
It's something that marketers know and exploit.

It's what you'd call being biased.
>>
>>2816464
Some do. There was one guy recently who made a thread saying he really liked Sonic 2. But others find something to bitch about and hold onto it (it's too fast, tails gets in the way) due to their hatred of the franchise.
>>
>>2816484
The only time tails ever got in the way was during the special stages, otherwise he's pretty helpful. What was their logic, or did they even have any?
>>
>>2816360
>is the lack of roll jumping

The lack of what now?

>>2816442
>Because it's actually too fast.

Well memed.
>>
>>2816448

Stop trying to be so PC.
>>
>>2816506
Probably the boss in Chemical Plant Zone. If tails hits Robotnik first, you'll fall into death water. But if you time your jumps opposite of his, it's not an issue.

I kind of like the challenge Tails creates in the special stages. But it's brutal for first timers.
>>
>>2816539

What?
>>
>>2816545
Wait, he was programmed to attack the boss without your prompting? I always remember tails dying there because I was the one attacking Robotnik first. Weird.
>>
>>2816536
after you roll and jump, you have no air control and you move really slow.
>>
>>2816550
I think it happens when players try to bounce on top of the boss like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHwPoLJR0MY
Tails will get a hit in, and Sonic will fall straight through.
>>
File: gotta take time.png (24KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
gotta take time.png
24KB, 500x500px
>>2816348
>Everything is a meme
>Nobody can hold an opinion without being a bandwagoner

Come on.

Personally I've never liked Sonic games very much. People say they're all about momentum, but going through them for the first time, you're bound to get stopped by an obstacle to didn't see coming, then you have to stop and build up speed again. It's tedious and the platforming isn't very exciting or fulfilling.
>>
>>2816560
Didn't have to look at the video, I know exactly what you're talking about. It's that trick to end the battle in under 10 seconds, yeah? I could see that happening.

Fuckin' tails.
>>
>>2816557
That's because rolling on straight planes already slows you down and jumping is an extension of that so you can't really expect logical horizontal momentum to create itself from nothing.

Although I liked the 8bit games because you could defy physics just like that.
>>
>>2816348
They sold a console so there must be something to them.
>>
>>2816565
It is about momentum, but more importantly it's about maintaining it. Since enemies have to be placed on flat ground, I quickly learned that it's a good idea to roll going down a hill, which alleviates roughly 80% of the cheap deaths. The rest is just platforming skillz.

It's more about racing than the adventure, though some might disagree. Same reason people are willing to play racing games over and over, I suppose.
>>
>>2816424
>>2816442
>>2816565
>but going through them for the first time, you're bound to get stopped by an obstacle to didn't see coming, then you have to stop and build up speed again

Just because the archive is gone doesn't mean you get to bait this easily.
>>
>>2816570
But you can change directions from a normal jump.
>>
>>2816348
>Play Sonic in 1992
>Have fun
>Play Sonic in 2015
>Have fun
Yeah the series was always bad you guys trust me like comment and subscribe
I know "fun" isn't a sufficient enough reason to explain why a game is good or bad, my point is that if so many people are still able to extract entertainment from these games years later, then they must not be as bad as people make them out to be.

>>2816352
I believe you've just set the buzzword density record with this post. Congrats.
>>
>>2816580
...Why did you reply to me? I was stating that he should be able to make his own observations instead of bandwagoning.
>>
>>2816348

Nah, I grew up mainly a SNES kid but got a Genesis in late '94 and loved the fuck out of going fast... Also Streets of Rage 2 was like crack. But then I did go back to playing the SNES more because it really does have better everything.
>>
I like Sonic 2 and 3, but I dont think the gameplay is perfect, like Mario, it is more like I am impresed by the production values, how big the levels are, and how excellent the music is.
It is kinda like Yoshi's Island, I dont like the gameplay much (eating enemies, making eggs, throwing them, retrieving baby Mario, the flutter jump) but the level design is full of fantastic ideas and the graphics are beautiful.
>>2816572
I dont know how old you are, I am in my early 30s and for example as a kid I would go to a shop with my mother to buy some home appliance, they would have a Genesis for sale connected to a tv with a Sonic game, I would watch Sonic go through loops at super high speeds, and it would make want to play the game, or tell my mother to get me that for birthday or christmas, the Sonic speed was a very successful gimmick.
>>
>>2816580
Fuck off retard.
>>
>>2816593
Well, that's because by rolling you create friction in the air in which you- fuck you're right.
>>
>>2816602
OP was not bandwagoning, he was expressing his thoughts on what he considers (sadly I'm noticing it too) a bandwagon opinion and asks us for, well, ours in the matter.
>>
>>2816623
Aw, that's kind of cute, actually. I'd appreciate it more if he hadn't called it a meme...
>>
>>2816626
Meme kinda goes with bandwagon desu. I think it all started with a Sonic 2 bashing video by some literally whos on youtube 2 years ago.
>>
>>2816578
>It's more about racing than the adventure, though some might disagree.

The nice thing about Sonic is that you can play it multiple ways. I take my time going through the levels and enjoy the puzzles and platforms, other people race through and try to score big time bonuses. Can't do that in Mario games.
>>
>>2816643

Except you can
>>
>>2816648
You can go fastish in Mario, and Mario gives you more tools to skip parts of the levels, and iirc the time bonuses don't amount to much and points are worthless after SMB3.
>>
>>2816650

Yeah it's not like you can just fly over almost every sonic level or anything
>>
The old Sonic games still hold up today in my opinion. The only /vr/ Sonic that doesn't really hold up is Sonic Adventure 1.
>>
>>2816663
2 on Game Gear wasn't too bad really, just kinda mediocre. By hold up, I mean the games that were considered good in the first place.
>>
>>2816643
That's the thing though, the multiple paths are different lengths so staying on the top path is ideal for fast runs, and it requires skill to do so.

The level skipping elements in Mario always felt cheap to me. Sure it helps with more difficult levels, but you tend to avoid certain levels altogether as a result. That's something you can't do in sonic games.
>>
>>2816663
>knuckles chaotix

Calling it bad is a stretch, I'd say underdesigned. And those others you mentioned are not really bad, especially 2.
>>
>>2816665
It's definitely more satisfying to go fast in Sonic. Floating through Mario levels with the P-Wing is just tedious. It feels like you're just giving up and skipping the level instead of doing something clever. The only time I enjoyed it was the optional level in SMW where you relied on the P-Wings to get through the stage. Mario stages are super linear too, and I like the exploration element in Sonic.
>>
>>2816690
That's more or less what I was trying to say. The "World select" sections in SMB1 felt like more of a speedrunning tool more than anything. Lost Levels sort of addressed this with the world select pipes that sent you backwards, but that still boils down to memorization.

It's nice to be able to choose your own path through a level, even if it's not as efficient.
>>
>>2816702
>It's nice to be able to choose your own path through a level, even if it's not as efficient.

Yeah that's what I do. There are 2-3 paths, each with their own sets of puzzles and challenges. They all have hidden areas that take some tricks to find too. That means there's a lot of replayability. Once you've played through a Mario level, that's it, you've played it. You can go through a Sonic level a couple times and get very different experiences depending on the path you choose -- like Aquatic Zone, or Chemical Plant 2 where the overland and underwater paths have very different mechanics.
>>
>>2816714
I remember being pleasantly surprised finding a shortcut to the chemical rising segment in chemical plant zone. I think it's right near the beginning after the first loop; there was a red spring to send you back the other way that takes you back though some more loops, but it also put you at the bottom of the stage. I just recently tried jumping before the spring and found it cuts out a good chunk of the level.

Just goes to prove how allowing for the user to control the experience massively extends replayability.
>>
>>2816723
There's a big shortcut in Chemical Plant 2 that skips the rising water bit, and instead takes you to a cool quadruple loop.
>>
>>2816727
Care to expand a bit? It might jog my memory.
>>
>>2816439
oh you
>>
>>2816348
Most of the old Sonic games are pretty good, but anything other than 2 (which is excellent) is kinda overrated compared to other platformers of the time.
>>
>>2816348
Nope. They were damn-well made. Was Sonic '06 so bad that it warped the space-time continuum and tainted those before it?
>>
>>2816565
Sonic CD fixes that problem if I'm remembering things right, if you hit an obstacle most of the time a spring will appear behind you so you can quickly gain back that momentum.
>>
>>2816348
Master System Sonic is money
>>
I grew up a Nintendo kid and only played through Sonic 3&K for the first time a few months ago. I had a fucking blast and I consider it a fantastic game. I honestly consider it on par with some of the Marios.

Part of why I enjoyed it was I learned not to play like an idiot. If you don't have some idea what's ahead of you and you're in a zone filled with obstacles, don't blast through at max speed like a retard. That doesnt mean you have to tiptoe through it, there's a big range of speed between walking and top speed. You learn early on that jumping at different speeds causes Sonic to jump at different trajectories and velocities, you need to do this to make even basic jumps. Don't move enough and you don't reach the platform, go too fast and you overshoot it. The game conditions you early on to manage Sonic's speed. If you aren't good at Mario don't hold the run button the entire time. If you aren't good at Sonic don't go full on GOES FAST the whole game. That shit is on the player.

Haven't played as much of the other Sonic games so I can't comment on those.
>>
>>2816348
No, I'm not on board with some stupid fucking hivemind, why would you think that there's truth something like that?

lurk moar
>>
>>2816448
Aonuma Zelda is genuine trash only Nintento zealots sing praises about.
>>
I honestly hardly saw anyone bashing the original Sonic games until some YouTube faggots made a video, now it's everywhere.

It's a shame how YouTubers can ruin a game's reputation due to their fanbase of 15 year old parrots. See also: Ocarina of Time.
>>
>>2816348
Sonic 1: shitty levels, alright music, controls well, and meh bosses
Sonic 2: best levels, great music, controls better than 1, and decent bosses
Sonic 3 and Knuckles: mostly good levels, amazing music, controls the best of the trilogy, and best bosses
the engine got better as the series went on, and the scale progressively got bigger. Level design was damn near trash past green hill in Sonic 1. Level design reached its peak in 2 since the only slow levels are metropolis kinda and sky chase, compared to 3 and Knuckles having mother fucking sandopolis. The music is the most subjective part here but I think it got better each game, mostly. Oddly, my favorite music track comes from my least favorite of the three games, Scrap Brain Zone

Moral of the story: if you have a genesis lying around and a copy of each game, you should probably reach for 2, but 3 and Knuckles is also fine.
>>
>>2817105
To be honest the audience that truly matters doesn't care about those youtube attention whores. The fact that the Mega Drive games are still selling today is proof of their quality.

>>2817105
>See also: Ocarina of Time
OoT is much more flawed than the original Sonic games though. The more you replay it the more obvious the problems appear, and many of them are seriously in the way of fun.
>>
>>2817105
I know Eorapture was behind OoT parrots, but was there anyone who did this with the genesis Sonics?
>>2817160
You're right, but I hope you know Egoraptor at the very least was 90% wrong. it's come in the way of legitimate OoT criticism that a big name made an ass over himself and people listened.
>>
File: 0011_1.jpg (30KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
0011_1.jpg
30KB, 640x480px
>>2817162
>Egoraptor
Implying I needed this fat fuck to be mad at OoT.
>>
>>2817162

>but was there anyone who did this with the genesis Sonics?

He also hates the genesis Sonics.
>>
>>2817164
okay good
I'm also buttmad that pretty much any OoT criticism will be deflected as "get out Ego" by a lot of people nowadays
>>
>>2816348
I really enjoyed the classic sonics. But I found them way too easy.
>>
>>2817167

I don't know why people blame him for some things but not others. He says a lot of dumb shit like Silent Hill sucks because it's boring and nobody liked Contra 3
>>
>>2817176
because Zelda and Sonic are so much more contrarian and controversial to shit-talk than those games, people remember that more
>>
sonic games weren't amazing but they were pretty good, they certainly weren't bad

the problem they ran into is basically the spyro the dragon formula: they ran out of gameplay possibilities that hadn't yet been explored, and meaningful ways to improve the gameplay with each sequel. the mario formula is infinitely expandable in a way that the sonic formula was not.

good while it lasted tho
>>
>>2817167
>>2817193
OoT is on such a completely different level to Sonic there is no real comparison.
>>
>>2817193

Silent Hill is more loved than Sonic which is why nobody gives a fuck when someone says it sucks because they know that person is an idiot.
>>
>>2817216
>Silent Hill is more loved than Sonic
Maybe on hipster sites like 4chan, you seem to forget that Sonic is pretty fucking huge no matter how poor he's been in the mid 2000s
>>
>>2817217

Something being loved and something having a large fanbase of actual children isn't the same thing. You're equating popularity with adoration which is laughably stupid
>>
>>2817219
Well then anon tell me why Ego didn't create a massive hatebase for Silent Hill when he said that?
There's tons of morons watching him ready to jump on shit like that, and I'm willing to bet a lot of those morons don't know Silent Hill well enough to garner "adoration" for it and assume he's stupid.
>>
So we can all agree that YouTubers and their awful fanbases are the worst thing to ever happen to retro games?
>>
>>2817220

Arin didn't "create a massive hatebase" for anything.
>>
>>2817223
Yep
Hell you could say this dates back to James Rolfe
Anything before that?
>>
>>2817223
no
>>
>>2817226
Ocarina of Time
>>
>>2817232

What about it?
>>
>>2816374
Much more likely that some retard Nintendo centric youtube channel told them Sonic games were always bad.
>>
>>2817243
If you think this whole army of 15 year olds who think Ocarina of Time sucks aren't getting their opinions from EgoFaggot you're delusional.
>>
>>2817247
>i think contrarians need a reason to be contrarian

Yes, you enjoy that hate boner you have for some c-tier youtuber
>>
>>2817249
Oh sure some of them are just contrarians, but a lot of people do just spout the same nonsense about waiting or whatever that I never saw before that video.
>>
>>2817247
They were hating on OoT long before that video came out, except now they have a few more points to parrot. Games that get praised as GOTYAY will always have an immense backlash, regardless of actual quality.
>>
File: shitpostingkillthevidya.png (48KB, 661x675px) Image search: [Google]
shitpostingkillthevidya.png
48KB, 661x675px
>>2816348
>>
>>2817253
Holy crap I couldn't have put it better myself.

>>2817251
I think you're kind of right, but I really do think YouTubers have major sway in what a lot of kids think about retro games unfortunately. At least we can agree that most people who post about video games on the Internet are garbage, right?
>>
>>2817220
>Well then anon tell me why Ego didn't create a massive hatebase for Silent Hill when he said that?
Because no one cares much about SH
>>
>>2817253
>peer pressure

That's an interesting way of looking at it. I always knew that people watch e-celebs for the who surrogate friend thing, but I could never figure out why they always repeat whatever they say like it's gospel. I think whoever wrote that has hit onto something there, it's peer pressure to join the herd mentality. Food for thought, anyway.
>>
>>2817258
I fucking love Silent Hill. But I never watched Egofagtor because I'm not 12.
>>
>>2817247
>Egoraptor is the reason everyone hates OoT
You're giving him way too much credit while underestimating everyone else at the same time.
>>
>>2817214
There's a leap of logic that happened somewhere that lead to this, whatever it means.
>>
>>2817258
that's my point
>>
>>2817262
Last time I checked that video had 4 million views and it was mostly upvoted.. He does have some influence on gamers of a certain age, sadly.
>>
>>2817261
>I fucking love Silent Hill
Anecdotical "I, my, me" argument.

>But I never watched Egofagtor because I'm not 12
If not even watching his videos sends you in such a frenzy you'd probably die of a stroke before finishing watching them.
>>
File: numbers.png (2KB, 163x62px) Image search: [Google]
numbers.png
2KB, 163x62px
>>2817273
That's a lot of views.
>>
>>2817256
I really hate this stupid YouTube culture though. Not only do people seem to prefer watching someone play games rather than playing them themselves, they base their opinions on the quality of said games on what other people are saying about them. They're often not even providing great arguments, but just spouting memes and yelling a lot.

I also base my purchases off of reviews every now and then, but at least I'll look at Metacritic and check out a few people's opinions rather some memelord with a billion Youtube subscribers.
>>
>>2817280
I feel exactly the same way. I know most generations hate the generation that comes after them and think the stuff they do and like is really dumb, but I think my generation is the first to be right in thinking that.
>>
File: 1381422158931.gif (5KB, 140x185px) Image search: [Google]
1381422158931.gif
5KB, 140x185px
>>2817131
>shitty levels

What's that? Is Marble Zone too slow for you?
>>
>>2817294
yes
and so is labyrinth
and spring yard is annoying with cheap-shot enemies and traps
Green Hill is good
Starlight is pretty alright
and Scrap Brain is good
half of the game's zones are trash
>>
I love Sonic, but I also love making people mad. And a really easy way of doing that is saying "Sonic was never good".
>>
File: 1405970109783.gif (212KB, 500x364px) Image search: [Google]
1405970109783.gif
212KB, 500x364px
>>2817303

GOTTA GO FAST
>>
File: 1405414382553.gif (720KB, 360x420px) Image search: [Google]
1405414382553.gif
720KB, 360x420px
>>2817307
>>
>>2817312
Such a cute design. I hate what they did with him in Adventure. And I hate that that design has stuck.
>>
File: 2134.png (147KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
2134.png
147KB, 640x480px
>>2817253
>i weep for this generation

That's literally every generation. I don't know why anyone would think this one is the first generation that had retarded as fuck teenagers.

>go old school and try games ourselves

Yeah because nobody in the 80s or 90s was influenced by other people's opinions into blinding loving or hating something
>>
File: 1376414584567.jpg (89KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1376414584567.jpg
89KB, 640x480px
>>2817316
I hate what they did with him in BOOM. And I hate that they're making more of it.
>>
>>2817317
>Yeah because nobody in the 80s or 90s was influenced by other people's opinions into blinding loving or hating something

back in the day when I was a kiddo, I got myself to be influenced by many magazines, thus playing a lot of games pre-biased. It was only when I grew up that I could replay them and think "actually this is a very fine game" (or viceversa).
>>
>>2817253
i stopped reading this pretentious shit after the first sentence
>>
>>2817334
It really is preachy pretentious shit.
>>
>>2817319
Yeah, the cartoon isn't as good as it was at the start.
>>
>>2817317
>>2817323
This is true. But at least magazines tend to give decent arguments to why they like or dislike a game.

They're obviously not perfect and nowhere near unbiased (I remember one magazine having a running meme about how bad GEX was and another on how ridiculously impossibly difficult Ikaruga was) but they reach a smaller audience than Youtubers and tended not to have as big an influence on their readers.
>>
>>2817371

It wasn't just magazines, it was kids on the playground, it was early message boards, it was marketing, etc

Half of the people in that Lost World discussion don't even care about games. A large portion of people who watch gamegrumps or whatever don't actually care about games.

It's not any different than someone saying how Goldeneye is one of the best games ever made and complaining that they don't make FPS as good as that anymore when in reality Goldeneye is mediocre at best and if it was released today it'd get shit on.

Shitting on Sonic or OoT or the reverse, praising them endlessly has gone on forever. Blaming it on any single person, especially someone who wasn't even a thing when the games were new is retarded.

Getting on the "Sonic sucks" bandwagon is not new by any stretch of the imagination.
>>
>>2817378

>goldeneye
>mediocre

Post discarded
>>
>>2817398
>i'm going to ignore your entire post because you don't agree with me

Thanks for proving the point
>>
>>2817371
>>2817378
There's more of a cult of personality around e-celebs than there ever was in magazines in my experience. The designated "cool guy" says it so all the followers repeat it. That's the difference between something like EGM and e-celebs IMO.

I guess that's why companies get real life celebrities to endorse shit, they know that the celebrities fanbase is going to do whatever they say and buy the product.
>>
>>2817420
It's always going to be something. e-celebs are just cheaper than other forms of marketing. If youtube and twitter suddenly went away it would just be something or someone else forming opinions for dumb people.
>>
>>2817378
>an almost 20 year old game is poor by today's standards!

Well fucking duh, computers and consoles are both better now, graphics have improved, gameplay has been streamlined, the bar is just higher now. OoT would also not be very impressive if it were released after one of the new 3D Zelda games, but it was received so well because it was so great for its time and because it laid the foundation for its successors. Same for Goldeneye, which was quite influential for FPSes.
>>
>>2817457

No, good games are still good. If a game "aged poorly" that means it wasn't ever good.
>>
>>2817378
>Goldeneye is mediocre at best
>>
>>2817463
Was only considered good back then*
>>
>>2817463
>If a game "aged poorly" that means it wasn't ever good.

thats not how aging works.
>>
>>2817495
I disagree with that. People confuse enjoyment with something being "good"

You can enjoy a bad game and you can not enjoy a good game. Your subjective experience on it doesn't change the quality of the product.

>>2817503
Hence the scrunchy fingers. I don't buy into the idea of things being given special treatment because they're a product of their time or whatever.
>>
>>2817463
>No, good games are still good. If a game "aged poorly" that means it wasn't ever good.

Dune 2 was the greatest thing ever when it came out but it is completely unplayable by modern standards. You can't even select multiple units.
>>
>>2817513

So it's not good then
>>
I love this meme. If games didn't age we would still be playing with life and continue systems
>>
>>2817520

You act like that those aren't still things.
>>
>>2817512
You seem to confuse objectivity with subjectivity.
>>
>>2817512
>People confuse enjoyment with something being "good"
Sounds like a bitter Miyamoto promoting 3D Mario while everyone is buying and wanting more 2D Mario.
>>
>>2817529
I don't like 3D mario but that has nothing to do with them being good or not
>>
>>2817518
No you see, that's bullshit. I think this would be akin to comparing the standard of female beauty across the eras; perhaps you can see a picture of some actress in the 1920's and think that it does not attract you at all, but it would be a foolish assumption to think that she was ugly back then just because the way she carried herself over doesn't conform to today's standards. Games from before were catered to a set of expectations and sensibilities that are different from today; I don't think everything's a matter of technology and constant evolution.
>>
>>2817520
Games dumbing down has nothing to do with ageing, it has to do with casting a wider net. Do you think films like Raging Bull or The Godfather have aged badly because they're slow moving and about the characters compared to The Avengers and capeshit? Is that an improvement to you?
>>
>>2817572
You're pretty bad at drawing comparisons
>>
File: 4L_LDCfOa0L.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
4L_LDCfOa0L.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>2816453

So fucking true. Kids come here with their "I'm playing this game and it's the rare jap version"... Yeah, nobody here cares. We didn't care and/or know about in the 90's and we don't care/know about it now.
>>
>>2817593

I can't tell if you're being ironic or not
>>
>>2816545

Forgot about that lol
>>
>>2816664

Is that the one with the Golden Sonic at the end?

I pretended to be sick sooooo much to play that
>>
File: 4L_ks3gwG4t.png (1MB, 1334x750px) Image search: [Google]
4L_ks3gwG4t.png
1MB, 1334x750px
>>2817595

You clearly don't know the definition of that word.
>>
File: imissvidya.jpg (206KB, 332x647px) Image search: [Google]
imissvidya.jpg
206KB, 332x647px
>>2816348
I never thought they were great, but they were satisfying when you memorized a level and could speed run it.

I actually think some of the level in the Sonic Adventure games topped anything in the 2D ones because you could see what was coming up to react to it. Never played any of the other 3D ones though.

I was always a Mario kid anyway.
>>
>>2816348
1 is decent.
2, 3, and K are good.
CD sucks balls.
Never played Chaotix.
Adventure games are God-awful.
>>
>>2817398
>>2817457
>>2817490
Not that anon, but honestly, I'd say Goldeneye only seemed good because it was on a console with no other semi-decent FPSes to compete against, and thus seemed revolutionary. If it were on PC, it would've been adequate at best, if not sub-par.
>>
>>2816348
On board with a meme? No.
I often like to take breaks from things I've played for a long time to clear my head, then come back at a later date and see if they make the same impression on me again. It keeps me from being biased and sometimes I view things differently over time.

I'm more aware now than I was as a child that the games do indeed have long stretches where you're "just holding right" or letting environmental gimmicks push you through the stage. That's true. But it doesn't detract from the experience. There wasn't much else at the time that had such high speed movement through huge expanses with a variety of "working parts" and scenery change. It was a technical marvel for early 90s home consoles.

And that's all a part of what makes old Sonic good in my book. It was a work of polished presentation gold. Everything about the game spoke clearly to what was considered "cool" in that little pocket of time. From the idea of a mascot "with an attitude" to the brightly colored levels to the killer chiptunes (admittedly not a term used at the time) it was quintessential 90's through and through. And what's more, all those elements meshed together and complimented one another perfectly. Perhaps only the Ninja Turtles beat-em-ups acheived the same balance of capturing the mood and feel of being a kid in the 90s and putting forth solid games that withstood the test of time.

Yes, I still like the old Sonic games, and I honestly think the reason why new Sonic isn't as good is because it ISN'T old Sonic. Old Sonic was, at its best, very much a period piece. They need to embrace that and make the new ones totally radical tubular awesome dude, or the series will never return to form. It doesn't work when you try to make it appeal to modern sensibilities.
>>
>>2816352
Millenial is actually a compliment you mongoloid. Call them kiddos if you want to hurt their feelings.
>>
It's either Nintendo circlejerk bullshit or people deciding to play the games in order. The first Sonic isn't a bad game, but it's not fantastic either. The second game and 3&K are where the series was at peak form. 3&K is probably one of the greatest platformers of all time, but Sega's decision to release it separately robbed it of that title.
>>
>>2818378
Yeah, no.
>>
>>2816565
A big part of that stems from Sega's arcade roots. Sonic was designed as an arcade game first, and a console game second, even if it did come to define their console (and their company).

The 'cheap parts' are supposed to make you remember them for next time, so you can praise yourself for your recollection and experience. Basically like a racing game rewards you remembering what to do at the turns.

I think Sonic is a bit rougher in this regard because unlike something like OutRun where there's maybe 7-8 turns in the entire level, Sonic has tons of hills and ramps to recall and most of them are very similar in appearance.
>>
>>2818989
So basically most people who complain about "artificial difficulty" and old game being "unfair" are just kids who have no idea how arcade style games work because they've never been in an arcade? I agree.
>>
>>2816484
>>2816506

Literally doesn't matter since you can play Sonic 2 as either Sonic or Tails alone by changing the player in the options menu.
>>
>>2816943
Personally I think there was a lengthy string of bad games leading up to 06, those games just weren't as obviously terrible.
>>
>>2816348
I don't think they are bad, but having lots of a speed in certain moments makes you take damage unfairly, which is something that bothered me back in the day and still bothers me.
>>
>>2816348
It's just a trend. Popular opinions on the series as a whole formulated by fourteen-year-olds who have never even touched a Sonic game and watch Game Grumps are directly correspondent to the the current state of the series. If Sonic Team's three-years-in-the-works game is good, which it has absolutely no excusable reason not to be, "SANIC IS SHIT XDDD" will go away.
>>
>>2817165
that guy hates anything that isn't a specific subset of games from his childhood, he really nostalgia-rides hard and then either has some good points to make or is just totally off-base and angry for no reason.
>>
>>2819024
It's all about memorization, like NiGHTS.
>>
>>2819026
Hopefully you're right. I'm honestly kind of optimistic for the next game too. I liked Generations and Colors a lot and I thought Lost World was okay but it felt more like an experiment than a full blown game that should have been released.

>>2819027
It seems to be that way with a lot of garbage YouTubers. And sadly anyone looking for a discussion on a series without being bombarded with 14 year olds who parrot what they hear has to suffer.
>>
>>2819029
I guess that's a valid point, since when you start you will always start at the beginning, unlike Mario and DK.

That only Sonic games that probably sucks are most of the 3D ones, from what I saw.
Since having a character that moves fast makes the environment less important unless it is something big and it also makes 3D level design really hard to make.
>>
>>2819051
I think the problem is that Sonic is so perfectly suited to 2D that any attempt to bring it to 3D is going to be inferior.

It's such a great blend of a platformer, a racing game and pinball. We all know that 3D platformers only work maybe 50% of the time, and how are you supposed to do a 3D pinball game?

Colors and Generations were quite good because they really played up the racing game aspects.
>>
>>2819051
SA1 has top-notch level-design, and probably some of the best in the series.

>>2819048
Lost World, even if it isn't that great, seems like a step in the right direction in terms of getting Adventure 3, which seems to be what most fans want. Wouldn't it be something if Sonic Team just straight-up made "Sonic Adventure 3" and completely surprised everyone?
>>
>>2819062
I never played a 3D Sonic game, and to tell the truth the only ones that I might give a chance are SA1 and Heroes.

SA1 to see if it's does a good job, at least at the Sonic's story, because every other mode looks pretty boresome.
Also, why the hell did Sega put Sonic with realistic humans characters?

And I want to check Heroes because the trio system sounds pretty good to me.

>>2819058
In my particular case I'm not really a fan of Sonic 2D's physics, but that's more of my problem.

Now, in the case of the 3D games I can find a some things that don't translate well at all to the 3D environment:

-Plataforming with high speed character
-Making several levels big enough for a fast character, so that he won't beat them in a matter of 1 minute.
-How to make the elimination of destructables/enemies work well, without auto aim shit.

You can see that what makes the game hard to design is the only fact that Sonic is a fast character, which makes level design and visual polishment something that would probably take a lot of time to work on on stuff that the player will probably ignore while running.
>>
>>2819072
If you ever buy SA1, get the Dreamcast version. All those horror stories about DX are true. Also take note that the game takes time to get used to, you'll encounter obnoxious issues with getting stuck on walls every now and then, and the camera is too horrible for its own good, but I would still recommend it anyway because of the excellent controls and level-design. Tails, Knuckles, and Gamma stages are also pretty good.

>Also, why the hell did Sega put Sonic with realistic humans characters?
That wasn't really a thing until SA2. The humans in SA1 have a simplistic anime style that works well enough, but their body-proportions are too normal.
>>
>>2819078
Well, that's bad news for me then, I will have to have that in mind when I play SA1 DX then.
Since I don't have a Dreamcast and I don't have a decent PC to emulate DC right now.
>>
>>2819083
And for some reason, the DX version looks like complete horse shit. Mind this first guy kind of sucking at the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHXPuMiEZ6k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zdvPaPXhNk
>>
>>2819091
well both versions look bad
Dreamcast is lower poly and gamecube for some retarded reason is shiny like heroes and shadow after it
>>
>>2819092
Nigga the Dreamcast version looked incredible for 1998.
>>
>>2819092
DX isn't shiny like Heroes and Shadow. DX has a complete lack of proper lighting and shading.
>>
>>2819096
well yeah but alongside DX it pretty much looks just as bad by modern standards
>>2819097
well maybe not as shiny but I still notice Sonic is extra reflective in that game
>>
>>2819101
>DX pretty much looks just as bad by modern standards
It really doesn't. Levels like Final Egg and Speed Highway are still decent to look at because of the lighting, something that DX can't into. Also, you type like an underage b&. Improve yourself.
>>
>>2816348
>Are you on board with the current meme of "old sonics were always bad, you just thought otherwise at the time"?

No because there were plenty of bad games back then so we could tell quality from shit
>>
>>2816607

> Also Streets of Rage 2 was like crack

Streets of Rage 2 is the comfiest game ever made and I'll Grand Upper anyone who says otherwise. It's hard to take all the talk of "video games these days are corrupting kids" when I was smashing in a strippers face with pipe by age 6
>>
Sonic is and always has been complete bullshit
No of course they were never good
It's entire existence is just based on the gimmick of being faster than Mario
That's all the 90s were, fucking commercials of hurrr Marios so lame kids SANIC BLOWS HIM AWAY he's SO FAST
And all the spaz kids ate it up
Why do think it always Sonic in those autistic fanarts
>>
>>2819117
What's the point of posting this? What's the point of being a le epic troll?
>>
>>2819117
Why u mad tho?
>>
>>2819126
Enjoying your first day here? Go back to Twitter.
>>
>>2819117
>you will never be this much of a buttmad fanboy

feels great
>>
Sonic is great, anyone freely bashing on it is an idiot or underage. I saw in this thread many legitimate opinions of anons not liking it like Mario, but not trashing it either.
>>
>>2819117
Sonic 2 is great.
>>
>>2819138
You're talking to someone who almost certainly never played it and only knows about old games through Youtube, anon.
>>
>>2819138
It's also the most overrated and the weakest of the genesis era.
>>
>>2819140
You mean weakest of the sonic games? I don't see how it's even possible to think Sonic 2 is worse than 1
>>
>>2819141
>Worse artstyle
>Introduced the "Press down for free momentum" mechanic
>Level design goes down the shitter after Casino Night Zone
>Metropolis Zone
>2 minutes long "level" where all you do is stand on a fucking plane
>Made Sonic taller for no reason
>Shit tier bonus stages
>Introduces Tails
>>
File: tails.png (209KB, 491x476px) Image search: [Google]
tails.png
209KB, 491x476px
>>2819145
>shitting on Tails
the fuck is your problem nigga
>>
>>2819124
>>2819126
I'm being completely honest
Because it's not good to let people be tricked into thinking bad things are good
>>
>>2816565
I feel like split second decision making is another part of the whole thing. It feels shitty getting stopped but maintaining due to quick reflexes feels rad as fuck. And while Mario has an edge in precision platforming, Sonic has 6 times as many jumps in him as Mario does unless your family was poor but even then you still had 3 times as many.
>>
>>2819152
You understand there's a difference between fact and opinion, don't you?
>>
>>2816348
No. There's a couple of poor stages in the Genesis Sonic games, sure, but as a whole, they're quite good. Solid control (you have quite a bit of speed and jump control, much more than one would expect), good visuals and sound, generally great stage design.

Like, I do think 2 is overrated as hell simply because it falls apart pretty hard after Mystic Cave Zone, and I've probably turned the system off by the time I'm in Metropolis 3.
maybe I'll slog through Wing Fortress and then fight the final boss (also, that final boss is retarded when locked on with S&K, Knuckles can't fucking jump, it's so much easier with Sonic)
Up to MCZ, the game is pretty consistently ace though. Bottom portion of ARZ is stupid, but it's your fault for falling in there.

1's iffy because half the stages are kind of slow, but Marble is actually better designed that I remembered as a kid, Scrap Brain is hit/miss at bits but kind of fun, fuck Labyrinth. The fast stages (GHZ, SYZ, SLZ) are great though, even if Spring Yard has some stupid bits, like the orbiting spike balls.

3&K's like, 90% great. Unfortunately, 3&K has Marble Garden (both acts, Carnival Night 2, and Sandopolis 2.
Shit's solid as fuck otherwise (I think Sonic 3's best stages are better than Sonic & Knuckles' best stages). The art's great, the music is ace. Hydrocity is the best water level. 3&K as a whole has fucking Icecap and Lava Reef, two of my favorite levels in the series.

>>2816675
>underdesigned
Huh, I was looking for a single word to describe Chaotix at some point.
Rushed fits too, but it doesn't really describe the game, just why the game is the way it is.

damn shame too, the music and visuals are 10/10 quality
the stage design just doesn't exist though
>>
>>2819193
>There's a couple of poor stages in the Genesis Sonic games
Namely Sandopolis and Carnival Night.
>>
I've heard the same thing about Crash Bandicoot. It's probably just a sub-meme of this.
>>
Sonic 1, CD, 2,3&K are excellent. Each have some issues but all got great music, great levels and should be up there in the realms of platform greatness alongside Mario.

The Rush and Advance games are all shadows of the Genesis titles with only momentary glimpses of innovation. Same goes for 4.

Colors was pretty good and Generations I really liked, even if the 3D stages were a bit weak.

So are people for real saying all Sonic is shit because of being butthurt over Boom? I mean, Boom isn't great but its a lot more playable than '06. It's shovel-ware, what did you expect from a game rushed to come out alongside a cartoon?
>>
>>2819152
Because some of the most iconic platformers of all time, the same games that sold a console, and ran on an extremely advanced physics engine that no one else could even attempt to replicate, are "bad" because you couldn't learn how to play them and think other people are wrong for enjoying them. Are you that fucking insecure? Were you dropped multiple times as a baby? Are you severely autistic? Please tell me.
>>
>>2819438
Advance 2 and the Rush games aren't trying to be Classic Sonic in the slightest. They're doing their own things.
>>
>>2816421

If running is a gimmick, so is jumping.
>>
>>2819393
I blame Nintendo fanatics.
>>
>>2817316
I know right? He actually looks more like a hedgehog than any of the redesigns.
>>
>>2819026
>Sonic Team's three-years-in-the-works game
wut
>>
>>2819062
>SA1 has top-notch level-design
That's one thing I'll probably fight you on.

Windy Valley, Sky Deck, Lost World, and Final Egg are kind of awful in various ways. Windy Valley starts off okay, and then becomes "hold up: the level," it's the damn posterchild for the whole hold-up-to-win criticism of the game. Sky Deck is a real clusterfuck, particularly the second half. Lost World is slow, the "puzzles" aren't really interesting (also, the water snake is glitchy as fuck, there's nothing as dumb as clipping through the thing). Final Egg is similar in a lot of ways to Sky Deck.
SA1's camera helps none of these stages, either.

I'm not a fan of Speed Highway, but it's not too offensive either. I used to like Icecap more, dunno what happened. It's still pretty solid though.

That being said, Emerald Coast and Red Mountain are fantastic, with all kind of little skips (and in the case of Red Mountain, several deliberate alternate paths), a nice balance of go fast running and platforming, etc. To this day, I think Red Mountain is the best 3D Sonic stage of them all, even the second half.
>>
>>2820010
>Windy Valley
Even though the third act is extremely "hold up to win", it's not entirely linear. There are still plenty of hidden extras and places where you can find shortcuts by jumping off the track and landing on another part.

>Sky Deck
I really like this one's design. Hanging onto the cylinders, avoiding the cannon's shots and blowing it up, and running on the area where the fighter jets take off while the platforms sink is all good stuff, and I would like the final section too if it wasn't for horrible camera angles and severe glitches.

>Lost World and Final Egg
Once again, the only problem is a horrible camera, causing depth-perception issues with the former and getting stuck behind walls in the latter. Also, I've never had any problems with the snake. I know you slide around on it a little bit, but I've never clipped through it. Is that a DX thing?

I also agree with your opinion of Red Mountain being the best 3D Sonic level. It's perfect all the way through, and the perfect foil for people who think a character as fast as Sonic can't do actual 3D platforming. If we ever get SA3, this is how all the levels should be designed.
>>
>>2819989
Their last game was Sonic Lost World, from late 2013. Their next game will presumably come out about a year from now. Three years is the longest time Sonic Team has ever had to develop a Sonic game so far.
>>
>>2820138
Also with Windy Valley's third act, there's that section with the stone tower with the hole on top that has about three layers of platforms surrounding it, which is pretty cool.
>>
>>2816565

>People say they're all about momentum but going through them for the first time you're bound to get stopped by an obstacle to didn't see coming

Like every other platformer. Every 2D game in existence has never enabled the player to see completely what's in front of them since that would negate the challenge (thus the quality) of the game genre; which in Sonic's mechanics is by maintaining speed and reacting to the environment and obstacles through reflex (which are always on the right-hand side of the screen).
>>
>>2816348
No
Sonic 3 and Knuckles is a masterpiece of game design and the pinnacle of the 2D Side-Scrolling Platformer Genre
>>
>>2817131
2 is the worst of the classics you goddamn pleb
but there's no accounting for shit taste
>>
>>2820205
>Every 2D game in existence has never enabled the player to see completely what's in front of them

You're kinda dumb,
>>
>>2817632
>I actually think some of the level in the Sonic Adventure games topped anything in the 2D ones

Fucking Heresy
3D Sonic Level design is downright trash compared to the classics
>>
File: 1374889759650.jpg (58KB, 325x325px) Image search: [Google]
1374889759650.jpg
58KB, 325x325px
>>2820205
>People say they're all about momentum but going through them for the first time you're bound to get stopped by an obstacle to didn't see coming
What the fuck is up with this attitude that a game should be completely experienced and beatable perfectly the first time? What joy is there in something that harbors nothing surprising or challenging to overcome? You kids these days...
>>
>>2819193
>Shitting on Marble Garden
>Shitting on the best 2D Platforming Level ever made

kill yourself nigger
>>
>>2820430
Spot the dickhead who's never played SA1.
>>
>>2820460
I've played SA1 countless times
It's not that good

And claiming that any 3D Sonic Game has better level design than any of the original 4 game is fucking heresy period
>>
>>2820482
Red Mountain.
>>
>>2816406
slower pace makes level challenge more engaging, powerups that are helpful outside of an extra hit, consequences to getting hit besides grabbing one of the rings that flies out of you, is contained in it's own universe and isn't based on an awkward japanese 90s cool archetype character, etc.

theyre just better games really
>>
>>2817303
Get good fag
>>
>>2819193
Marble Garden is actually pretty neat when you stop hating it mindlessly.
>>
>>2820601
The boss is dumb as fuck and there's more than a reasonable amount of crushers and the big swinging spiked balls placed in areas where you're going fast and will probably get clipped by them, even knowing they're there. The layout isn't awful as a whole (unlike say, CNZ2), but the object placements in it really are ass.

>>2820558
mate, I love Lava Reef
but even though there's more of it, it's not really as good as Red Mountain

>>2816406
because Sega stopped being popular, full stop

>>2820138
man, I still want to like Sky Deck more than I actually do, the level's idea is really cool, you get the feeling that Sonic Team definitely tried to make it look and feel exciting

>>2820448
>>>/b/
>>
>>2821148
What got deleted?
>>
>>2821167

Some fag who hates Sonic Adventure and called Red Mountain, and I quote, "poor-man's lava reef".
>>
>>2821205
Yeah, that's the guy who replied to me when I posted >>2820528
I didn't realize his post got deleted before now. Why did it get deleted, anyway? I have a feeling it was because of his use of the word "heresy" to describe opposing opinions.
>>
>>2821148

It's actually the only moment in original trilogy were the 2nd player using Tails is actually useful, more acts should have boss fights like Marble Garden.
>>
>>2817092
Nah, only the Toon Link games.
>>
>>2821338

Maybe it was because his opinion is stupid and wrong, and he's a bad person IRL for having it.
>>
>>2821358
All Aonuma Zelda are plagued by loads of bullshit. SS is pretty much nothing but bullshit for the whole game.
>>
File: s1-ghz-act1map.png (673KB, 4862x640px) Image search: [Google]
s1-ghz-act1map.png
673KB, 4862x640px
>>2820426

Did not you see the word 'completely' in my sentence? What I originally intended in my comment was that 2D games have never allowed the player to see the ENTIRE level ahead of them in a platformer (real-time), due to the limitation of the screen aspect ratios of that time.

>>2820431

>What joy is there in something that harbors nothing surprising or challenging to overcome?

It's because people these days want instant gratification, rather than developing new skills to overcome these obstacles.
>>
Why do sonic fans hate levels that actually are challenging?
>>
>>2817162
Egoraptor.
>>
File: rlm sucks dick.jpg (247KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
rlm sucks dick.jpg
247KB, 1920x1080px
Im pretty sure all the recent hate comes from kids parroting youtube faggots. I know RLM aidsmoby did a hilariously shitty hate vid about sonic 1 & 2 (they never played 3).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYDsz1NFBJw
Also Vinesauce loves to call sonic shit every chance possible even though he also never played any of the games.
>>
>>2821892
they can't figure out that sonic can roll...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1hugi-hHcg
>>
File: image.jpg (188KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
188KB, 750x1334px
>>2821892
The cancer killing Sonic.
>>
Rote memorisation was never a problem until the last 5 years.

As if old Sonic was a real hard exam in the first place.

Press DOWN to spin in a ball while running. Press JUMP when you see an enemy or spike.
>>
ALL THE SONIC GAMES ON THE GENESIS WERE SOLID MY G.

WHY YOU TALKING SHIT ON THE CLASSIC.

ACCEPT FOR THAT PINBALL ONE THAT SHIT WAS GAY.

SO WAS THAT "PUSUWAYDO" 3D ONE THAT WAS ALSO ON THE SATURN. THAT SHIT HAD HORRIBLE DEPTH PERCEPTIONS. I COULD NEVER BEAT THAT LAVA STAGE BOSS WITH THE PIPES AND SHIT.

IS SONIC CD WORTH IT ?

SONIC 2 G.O.A.T. SONIC GAME. GAMEPLAY/MUSIC/STAGES

SONIC FRANCHISE DIED WITH THE DREAMCAST.
>>
>>2820431
>What the fuck is up with this attitude that a game should be completely experienced and beatable perfectly the first time?
Because that's how modern games are designed, and people who play them think everything should be that way. It's pretty fucking vile seeing that attitude on a board dedicated to discussing retro games, though.
>>
>>2822051
we need a crackhead containment board
>>
>>2822064
people want engaging, fair challenges that you dont have to pull a bunch of trial-error shit to get around properly. its not a problem in well designed games.
>>
>>2821892
Looking at their face, I know what to think.
>>
>>2822078
What do you mean "properly?" You can finish all the levels without dying if you're careful. You won't be able to complete them flawlessly, on the other hand. Because that actually requires knowledge and practice. Also there are no difficult platformers which can be beaten by someone without prior knowledge of the levels. They simply don't exist.
>>
>>2821892
This shit was physically painful to watch. I don't mind people pointing at problems but when they go as far as being as autistic as possible to show their disdain it's just grating.
>>
>>2816352
Millennial starts at 1982 so it's more than likely even the majority of the people who played the Genesis games when they came out were also millennials.
>>
>>2822132
Fucking '81 fags.
>>
>>2816660
>The only /vr/ Sonic that doesn't really hold up is Sonic Adventure 1
Yeah but you shouldn't hold it against. They just didn't know what the fuck they were doing, so they tried to copy everyone. I find it charming in how much they tried, every if the result was kind of a mess.
They got their bearings by Adventure 2.
>>
>>2819438
>>2819487
Advance 1 was more akin to the Genesis title with it's play style and level layout while still introducing some features like the air dash and Amy in as a whole. Advance 2 added the boost mode mechanic and some features making it more about speed. Game barely even had a water section. Advance 3 main focus was the team mechanic which made the game way different than the rest. Good series overall.
>>
File: SbtS.jpg (129KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
SbtS.jpg
129KB, 1920x1080px
All this discussion about classic Sonic, has anyone else here played (well actually I'm assuming you have and want opinions) those retro-style fangames Sonic Before The Sequel and Sonic After the Sequel?

They're not on the same level as classic Sonic but I thoroughly enjoy both of them. Although the music in each is probably the best parts, although it is kinda cheating being mp3 quality audio, not limited by hardware.
>>
>>2822281
Haven't played them, but from watching I'm liking the going from above the rain clouds to under the clouds thing in the first stage. I might give Before a try at some point.
>>
>>2822281
The only thing that's cheating is how you managed to be so impossibly cute~
>>
>>2822294
That part blew me away. Graphically they're pretty impressive.

>>2822295
Uh what?
>>
>>2816348
I'm on board with playing them myself and formulating my own opinion, that's what I'm on board with.

I also like hearing other people's opinions if they give in depth reasons and justifications. "It's good," or "it's bad" work, but they don't mean much without explanation.
>>
>>2822082
but in well designed games you can recognize a challenge before attempting to overcome it. in sonic you just hit stuff you couldn't possibly see coming, it's not fun or engaging, it's frustrating.
>>
>>2822805
oh and forced memorization isnt a design choice, its a fanboy excuse for shitty design
>>
File: 1438913734676.gif (2MB, 345x237px) Image search: [Google]
1438913734676.gif
2MB, 345x237px
>have always disliked Sonic 1 because the levels have never clicked with me and I disliked the design in most of them
>Sonic 2 is one of the best Genesis games of all time, Top 5 for the console and a game on par with the best platformers of it's era
>disliked Sonic 3 because the art style shift (everything looks so soft..) and thought the lack of variety in level layout was off putting

I only like Sonic 2, and I've thought that since 1997.
>>
>>2816593

Not really. You can slow down and move into the other direction from a regular standing jump, but you can't change directions like you can in Mega Man.
>>
>>2822281

I'm not a fan of the music and the controls are rather sluggish even for a fan game.

I have no idea why people insist on using the Sonic Worlds engine. It's really not that good.
>>
File: SonicLvlDesign.png (24KB, 699x777px) Image search: [Google]
SonicLvlDesign.png
24KB, 699x777px
>>2822805
>>2822814

This is a complaint I can only see coming from someone who only played the Sonic Advance games.

Sonic 1-3 rarely punished you in that way. The levels were always designed in a way that you wouldn't get a cheap hit from a badnik or a spike trap. They'd have some sort of ramp, object or some other shit to prevent you from hitting something hard. They would never put a spike or a pitfall in your path just because.

Some of you people are also exaggerating how fast the games were. I don't know if you're still suffering from the 90's marketing hype, but the games were hardly fast enough that you couldn't react to most things. The only times the games were roaring at break neck speeds were in specific set pieces. If you ever managed to go that fast outside of those roller coaster rides, there's a damn good chance you knew what you were doing in the first place.

All of the above is invalidated if you play Metropolis Zone though. Fuck that stage, that's just a shitty stage.
>>
>>2823179
iirc green hill zone has a lot of springs that push you back like thats fun. hardly a punishment for anything since its usually after one of those tunnel segments where you have no control. its bad design. i never said it had to be a spike trap or badnik but thats a problem too in some cases
>>
File: Ghz3.png (23KB, 1203x397px) Image search: [Google]
Ghz3.png
23KB, 1203x397px
>>2823228
speaking of the same area, look here. the devs put a bunch of those invisible iguana things i guess to punish you for inching along but if you do you run into the spring and fall of the cliff or the spike trap to the right (you know, that thing you just lied about not being in the genesis games)
>>
>>2816348
Sonic 2 and 3 are the two games I replay the most. I just really like the music and stages. I don't think they are particularly hard, but they are definitely not bad games.
>>
File: 1429547922339.gif (1MB, 245x230px) Image search: [Google]
1429547922339.gif
1MB, 245x230px
>>2823228

There's exactly 6 areas that do this, 3 in GHZ2 and 2 in GHZ3.

One of them in GHZ3 even pushes you into a 1up on top of a loop de loop. The other two are easily avoided.

>>2823257

The iguanas have a ton of start up frames before becoming active. They can be avoided.

You're also going far too slow in that section for any of that to be an issue and can easily be avoided with basic platforming skills. Nothing in that section violates what I posted before.

You're seriously complaining that a game throws you a challenge (a very easy one) your way.
>>
File: GHZ3 - Low Route.webm (2MB, 1280x894px) Image search: [Google]
GHZ3 - Low Route.webm
2MB, 1280x894px
>>2823257

If you can't clear this section then I don't know how you can beat something as simple as Kirby.
>>
>>2823272
>far too slow
yeah ok if i went fast i'd either run into the spring and fall of the edge or just barely dodge it and land on the rock and hit the spikes. and like i said "youre just bad" is just a fanboy excuse. i shouldnt be punished for screwing up challenges i only had a split second to react to. i shouldnt have to get used to the speed mechanics of ghz only for all of it to be thrown away in favor of trite platforming in marble zone. i shouldn't have the speed mechanics randomly thrown back at me in spring yard zone only to be bombarded by even more badnik/obstacle traps i couldnt possibly see coming going at full speed. i shouldn't have to throw the mechanics ive grown accustomed too AGAIN out the window AGAIN in favor of frustrating, slow underwater platforming. i shouldn't be forced down slopes in star light zone at top speed only to be met with a pit i couldn't possibly avoid, i shouldn't have to wait for a badnik bomb to explode or for some stairs to extend which ruin the pace just as much as dying does. i give up at scrap brain zone like any sane person would.

sonic 1 is just kinda bad. the fact that there's no supplementary mechanics outside of "run fast and get rings/a shield" doesn't add to it either. nice graphics and great music though.
>>
>>2823287
its not that i can't complete it. it's how inaccessible these challenges are for people playing for the first time. i beat this game quite a few times as a kid but just dont have the patience nowadays now that ive played much better retro games.

and don't compare sonic to kirby, even dream land 1 is leagues more thoughtful and creative with its gameplay
>>
>>2823289
>yeah ok if i went fast i'd either run into the spring and fall of the edge or just barely dodge it and land on the rock and hit the spikes.

The Buzz Bombers spawn in a way that you won't hit the spring if you were going fast enough. You end up combo bouncing on them and avoid the spring entirely.

If you miss the Buzz Bomber, then you're going to slow and at that point, you should be able to notice and react to the spring, and if you did react, the rock is there to stop you from hitting the spikes. There's no way you're going fast enough at that point to clear the rock.
>>
>>2823305
>The Buzz Bombers spawn in a way that you won't hit the spring if you were going fast enough. You end up combo bouncing on them and avoid the spring entirely.
nobody has the reflexes to pull this the first time. if you watch that anon's webm you see he has to make a leap of faith to land on the first bomber at all
>>
>>2823314
>nobody has the reflexes to pull this the first time

There's no timing involved. The only thing you need to do to get that first bounce is react to the upcoming rock. The Buzz Bomber spawns and moves into place to catch a majority of players. The second buzz bomber is where shit gets real.
>>
>>2823314

Mario has plenty of "leaps of faith". I don't hear near the complaints about it.

To be fair, I actually _do_ think there's something to the whole "Sonic plays way faster" meme, so maybe if you grew up on those the classic Sonics (especially 2, 3, and S&K) really do feel "off".
>>
>>2823319
i think a newcomer's first instinct would be to drop on to the lower platform since the spikes indicate more ahead and just jumping wouldn't seem like a good idea. i know it looks natural to you but it really isn't.
>>2823320
i grew up with both, i actually preferred sonic as a kid but that was a more style>substance thing i think. i never mentioned mario anyway, what's this sega fanboy shit?
>>
>>2823326
>i think a newcomer's first instinct would be to drop on to the lower platform since the spikes indicate more ahead and just jumping wouldn't seem like a good idea. i know it looks natural to you but it really isn't.

If the new comer's first instinct is to drop to the bottom platform, then they're going too slow and nothing coming up will present itself as "cheap" or an issue. Those who are daring will be rewarded with a quicker route.

Sonic's design philosophy is pretty much risk and reward, and the health system reflects that. As long as you have one ring, you're fine to be as ballsy as you want. Do you keep your jump and hope to clear any obstacles ahead? Or do you slow down and observe.

The fun in Sonic games is going back to the stages and replaying them with what you learn. If there's any flaw that the Genesis Sonic games had is that they didn't have a time attack option in the menu. That's something Sonic CD got right. The stages are designed well enough to be replayable and master them and their various routes all so you can shave off that 1 second.
>>
>>2823326

>i never mentioned mario anyway, what's this sega fanboy shit?

Mario is commonly what Sonic is measured against. Don't get autistic with me, I didn't make that "rule".
>>
>>2823337
ok but you shouldn't have to just throw caution to the wind or have the level memorized in order to have fun. i mean ghz isn't even that bad compared to everything else but even so i still feel it has a lot of problems for beginners especially as the first zone in a game series that arent a problem in other platformers
>>2823340
i think its more autistic to invent arbitrary retro game argument rules based on outdated game company feuds t.b.h. if you have nothing to say outside of some random comparison to another series nobody brought up in the first place then just don't say anything.
>>
>>2816557
>after you roll and jump, you have no air control and you move really slow.

Oh I remember that.

You could use rolling to propel yourself way past your maximum speed though, and jumping from shot you out over great distances. So not having control kind of balanced it out. It was a cannonball move, and sort of made sense given the physics of the game.
>>
>>2816557
having full jump control in a game as fast as sonic would probably fuck you over more than help you
>>
>>2823347

That just seems like your own personal issue. If Sonic was as unenjoyable and as flawed as you claim then it wouldn't have become the mega hit. They're quality well made games.

Maybe they were fun for you back in the day and they're not your cup of tea anymore, but to outright claim that they're badly design is just a load of horse shit, especially when your arguments are based around theorizing what a first time player would do in a situation.
>>
File: 1419426841922.gif (899KB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
1419426841922.gif
899KB, 250x188px
>>2823347

>i think its more autistic to invent arbitrary retro game argument rules based on outdated game company feuds t.b.h. if you have nothing to say outside of some random comparison to another series nobody brought up in the first place then just don't say anything.

Oh...That's actually kinda funny...You think you have the power to tell people what and how to post on an anonymous image board.

Cute. You are one extra-special snowflake, you know that?
>>
>>2823360
youre theorizing what a first player would do the same as me. i think sonic became such a big hit because the graphics and the speed were things not seen much before, not because of it's stellar level design or anything.
>>2823362
i'm not stopping you from making irrelevant points, there just isn't much reason to.
>>
File: s2-cpz-act2map.png (2MB, 5824x1024px) Image search: [Google]
s2-cpz-act2map.png
2MB, 5824x1024px
>>2816731
>Care to expand a bit? It might jog my memory.

There's a part after one of those tube warps, where you go from left to right at max speed, and you end up getting shot up to one of those moving 4-blocks. After that you get a speed booster that puts you on the criss-crossing paths that lead to the pit with the rising water.

Jump above the speed booster, and then from the top of the speedway, jump left into the wall. There's a hole in it, leading to an alternate path, that gives you enough rings for an extra life and drops you at the boss fight with an invincibility to boot.

You can see it on this map, at the single loop at the bottom most part, around the middle of the level. Look for the part labelled as "4" for the alternate path.
>>
>>2823379

Zone0 really is a godly site for the classic Sonics. I would fucking love that guy to do guides for other classics I played in such a thorough manner.
>>
File: 1435942099144.jpg (74KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1435942099144.jpg
74KB, 1024x576px
I could understand some people not liking 1 because of its strange platforming.

I could understand someone not liking 3 because of the handful of bad or too long levels.

I could even understand someone not liking CD because of how heavily it DOES emphasize replay and getting gud before it plays 'smoothly'.

But saying Sonic 2 or S&K is bad is pure, 100% nonsense. It's at the same level as calling Super Mario 64 bad, it's just unfounded contrarianism. And when asked to explain why they think it's bad it's just absolute carping. 'The main character is outdated', 'the game goes too fast', 'the fanbase is bad'.
>>
File: b1hbvxc.jpg (93KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
b1hbvxc.jpg
93KB, 1280x800px
>>2823370
>youre theorizing what a first player would do the same as me

I'm not theorizing shit. I presented you a webm and personally ran through that area multiple times right now. The scenarios you're describing are not possible because of how the objects were placed, the length of running space the player has to achieve a certain speeds and the jump arcs possible at all possible speeds.

A new player would have to be running some wall hacks shits or intentionally running into shit in order to do the things you're describing. You're theorizing, I'm putting them into practice.

In the specific example of GHZ3 and in that area, none of your scenarios are plausible. You'd have to be Super DSP to achieve that.

You want to talk about poor level design in Sonic games? Okay, mention how awful Metropolis Zone is to even walk around. Mention the garbage pitfall in Mystic Cave Zone. Mention the barrel that stumped a majority of players in Carnival Night Zone. Mention all of Wacky Workbench.

Cite actual examples that everyone and their mother agrees were poor design choices. That's when Sonic was at its worst.

But to use the lower route section of GHZ3 that's incredibly slow and complain that the game is too fast to deal with any of that shit? That's just straight up horse shit. Sonic's biggest flaw, to some people, is the break in flow with Marble Zone and Labyrinth Zone, and their only crimes were being too slow.
>>
File: 1432148280374.png (29KB, 109x123px) Image search: [Google]
1432148280374.png
29KB, 109x123px
>>2816406

>Why did Mario age better?
>better

1. Slow Movement Speed
2. Flat Levels
3. Plain Design and Color Palettes
4. Monotonous Mechanics

>>2823289

>i shouldnt have to get used to the speed mechanics of ghz only for all of it to be thrown away in favor of trite platforming in marble zone
>i shouldn't have the speed mechanics randomly thrown back at me in spring yard zone only to be bombarded by even more badnik/obstacle traps i
couldnt possibly see coming going at full speed
>i shouldn't have to throw the mechanics ive grown accustomed too AGAIN out the window AGAIN in favor of frustrating, slow underwater platforming.
>i shouldn't be forced down slopes in star light zone at top speed only to be met with a pit i couldn't possibly avoid, i shouldn't have to wait for a badnik bomb to explode or for some stairs to extend which ruin the pace just as much as dying does. i give up at scrap brain zone like any sane person would.
>i shouldnt be punished for screwing up challenges

Jesus Christ. The tantrums in this comment is just too much. As the player, you have FULL CONTROL over the momentum and speed that Sonic generates within each level and rewards or punishes YOU on the quality/skill of the player in reaction to these "challenges" and obstaces. No one is forcing you to press move the D-Pad and Jump throughout the game; but YOU. This video is a good example of a GOOD player:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kOAdhUlkt0
>>
Hello friends. I just got here. I know, I'm late. And I didn't read much, yet. But I'm going to, after this. So you know.

>>2816348
But first I just wanted to say this: I have spent years TASing these games which has given me a very intimate understanding of their design, I played these games casually ever since I was a child, and I have been an avid gamer for 20+ years. And I can confirm that meme is absolutely false.

Is this really what people are saying? Sounds like the personal opinions of people who are barely qualified to have any being touted by them as facts, based on the "evidence" of their similar anecdotal experiences -- of being members of the masses of ignorant, young plebs with shitty taste that's shitting up gaming.
>>
>>2823393
>I'm not theorizing shit.
..yes you are. youre assuming how a new player would react from a place of experience
>>2823418
so youre suggesting i inch along as a new player even though the point of the game is to move fast? is that fun? i want to say this is bait because of how much of an obviously biased fanboy you are.
>>
>>2823429

You can't even type correctly. I wouldn't be casting aspersions on others' credibility if I were you, bub.
>>
>>2823429
>>2823429
>the point of the game is to move fast?
Is it, though? Is it really? Or have you just decided that it must be about that because, "it's sonic lol!".
>>
>>2823429
You don't have to move fast all of the time. The game rewards you by being able to go fast in levels once you get gud.
>>
>>2823379
>That top route with extra lives before the boss
>Those little Knuckles areas
Hnggggg so nice.
>>
>>2823390
>I could understand someone not liking 3 because of the handful of bad or too long levels.
>>2823390
>But saying Sonic 2 or S&K is bad is pure, 100% nonsense.

What ones in 3 had bad or worse level design than SK? I felt 3's levels were really solid and fully realized. MGZ stands out for example as one of the best levels in the franchise, it's an outstanding achievement in 2D platforming. By comparison SK maybe had more flashy levels what with the final bosses or something -- maybe. But overall its levels, some more than others, tended to feel slightly less developed than 3's, and 3 definitely had better boss battles.

Well it's the same damn game so who cares. I put way too much effort into this post.
>>
>>2823484
Carnival Night Zone 2 is absolutely terrible.

Long, full of small obstacles to slow you down, several places you can fall and be sent back to damn near the beginning of the level, plus you still have to beat a somewhat lengthy boss on the same timer.

It's about the only level in any of the Genesis games where a casual player is likely to time out.
>>
File: Cn2map.png (392KB, 4865x800px) Image search: [Google]
Cn2map.png
392KB, 4865x800px
>>2823492
>Long, full of small obstacles to slow you down, several places you can fall and be sent back to damn near the beginning of the level, plus you still have to beat a somewhat lengthy boss on the same timer.
Oh I hear ya man. It's a hard knock life playing 90's children's games, what with all of their content and mild difficulty. If only such flaws as that had not been present, if only they had bothered to include an I Win button, the game would be much better. For sure.

Heh. It's true though that was a pretty long one, up there with Sandopolis 2. Still, I don't see how that's a "flaw", exactly. I just so happened to have a map lying around of this specific stage too, so, here. Maybe now, since you don't have to put up with playing the level you can at least sit back and have a look at it, and admire the level of craftsmanship on display.
>>
>>2823510

OK, now you _are_ being a dick. I routinely run out of time out that level. There's just a lot you can get caught up in doing to rack up the points, and that strict ten-minute timer is ever unobtrusive until it's almost too late to do anything about it.
>>
>>2823516
>_are_
Jesus Christ, haven't you ever heard the phrase "lurk moar"? You're supposed to become acquainted with the website before you post, which usually takes about five months. You're the newest newfag I've ever seen, and you emphasize words by CAPITALIZING them.
>>
>>2823516
The only way I can see you being timed out is if you keep fucking around or if you're stuck at the barrel
>>
>>2823516
Well, what -- do you want them to remove or redesign the traditional-by-then 10 minute timer from the entire rest of the game just to suit one level which happened to last longer than others, or do you want them to dumb down the level design just to make sure no one ever even comes close to running out of time in-game? You can only have it one way. Clearly they did the right thing.
>>
File: 1421619864687.jpg (176KB, 708x826px) Image search: [Google]
1421619864687.jpg
176KB, 708x826px
>>2823523

I think _I'll_ be the judge of how to best emphasize my words and phrases, you condescending little prick. And traditionally, all-caps connotes shouting, not emphasis. Of course, you'd know that if you were on the internet before the goddamn millennium, scrublord.
>>
>>2823525

Fucking around, actually. And, to be fair, there's quite a lot in that level to fuck around with, in addition to having a higher number of bumpers per level.

>>2823534

No, I think the level is fine enough as-is. I simply also think it's a good example of bumping up against the limits imposed by the classic time-limit. No doubt if Sonic had made a more successful leap into 3D it would have had to eventually be extended somewhat.
>>
>>2823510
Spare me, the only semi-difficult 2D Sonic game is 1. You're not some hardened badass for beating a game in a series where the only avenue for not finishing every time you sit down to play it is getting bored halfway.

Carnival Night Zone 2 IS shit, for literally what was stated. It's a long stage full of shitty gimmick platforming and trap jumps solely designed to knock you off a raised path and back several minutes.

Christ, this is why it's impossible to actually defend Sonic games. Criticize a rightly shit portion of a good game and you sycophants crawl out of the woodworks with "Oh look at this artisinally crafted level, what a simple treat!".
>>
>>2823547
>you sycophants crawl out of the woodworks with "Oh look at this artisinally crafted level, what a simple treat!".

You just proved your own point retard. Sonic fans have to basically hide it because outside of boards like this they get lumped with "check my character Gregory the Hedgehog fucking XXXxxfurfag06xxxXXX" people, and if you try and talk about Sonic you get faggots that say "But it isn't Skyrim so it's a shit game".

If you don't wanna talk to people that think the Sonic series is good, having lasted roughly 20 years, don't come to a fucking online webboard where people talk about good videogame series that have lasted 20 years.
>>
>>2816408
Confirmed to have never played.
>>
>>2823557
I said Sonic 3 has some bad levels and now I'm a skyrim-loving, sonic-hating casual.

Fuck off, you're exactly the kind of autist who makes it impossible to discuss these games. Anything less than complete and unreserved belief that these games are literally perfect and you people sperg out like you're in the third grade again.

Maybe I'd like to discuss Sonic with some functioning adults for once.
>>
>>2823565
>I said Sonic 3 has some bad levels and now I'm a skyrim-loving, sonic-hating casual.

I never called you that. Projecting your own insecurities much? Seriously bro, calm down, I was in no way attacking you. Maybe you should take a break.
>>
>>2823484
>MGZ stands out for example as one of the best levels in the franchise, it's an outstanding achievement in 2D platforming

What. Marble Garden 1 and 2 are easily some of the worst levels in 3&K, and the only reason I don't rank them dead last is because Sandopolis 2 exists. Both MGZ stages are full of those blue tops that are nigh-impossible to control with any sort of precision whatsoever - which are required to proceed with the stage, even in places where it would make more sense to just be able to spindash through a barrier. Both halves run a little long, which wouldn't be an issue if it weren't for the nearly uncontrollable blue tops, which, god forbid you fuck up and jump off of one, you have to run back and grab another, which sometimes means you're forced to wait for another to spawn. There are no short or even particularly interesting routes through MGZ 2 (1 is alright in this aspect) to make it more tolerable either (contrast Hydrocity, which has the significantly-faster upper path for those that can get up there). What do you actually like about MGZ?

Ice Cap and Hydrocity are the best levels in 3, especially the second zone in each.

>By comparison SK maybe had more flashy levels what with the final bosses or something -- maybe. But overall its levels, some more than others, tended to feel slightly less developed than 3's, and 3 definitely had better boss battles.
I do agree with you here. Mushroom Hill and Lava Reef (especially 2) are probably the best S&K has to offer - the rest are all kind of mediocre. Its low point is the lowest in 3&K, and most of its high points aren't really as good as 3 either.
>>
>>2823565

I think its important to clarify which of te current degenerates are you.

Are you the faggot that's insisting Sonic is awful and was never good, or are you just another can't coming in mid conversation and saying some levels had some bad designs.

This is important, because the anon using GHZ3 as an example is delusional. CNZ2 is a shit level though and I agree with that.

But if you're both the same fag, then you can fuck off.
>>
>>2823572

If there is one thing I have to give S&K credit for is lack of water.

I think S3 had water sections every level.

Sonic underwater sections should have been like Ecco the Dolphin, fun.
>>
>>2823510
>That bottom path
That gate at the start is one way to the right, correct? I don't ever recall getting there, do you get sent back to the start if you somehow mess up on those anti-gravity falls before the final path to the boss? What the fuck...

Also what is with that second corridor to Knuckle's exit? How do you get there, and why is it even necessary when you can take the same path as Sonic and not get dick-moved by Knuckle?
>>
>>2816348

Sorry if this was discussed already, I haven't read the whole thread yet.

My problem with old Sonic's was that you moved so fast and couldn't see more of the world on screen at a time. Because of that, I couldn't really enjoy the game. If I took my time to enjoy my surroundings, I couldn't go fast. If I went fast, I didn't enjoy the environment. OTHER THAN THAT I still think they were great games, the music was insane and as an adult looking back such a great concept.
>>
>>2823572
If S&K feels undeveloped it's because it was basically cut off Sonic 3 like a lose appended and turned into a separate game, to be complete with the lock technology. If you don't believe me, go to TCRF website and find the removed credits medley thats has most of the zones of S3&K (IIRC it goes Angel Zone->Hydrocity->Carnival Zone (skips Marble Garden)->Flying Battery (which was has evidence of a Night palette cementing it originally came then, along with the door Sonic uses as a snowboard in...)->Ice Cap->Final Base->Mushroom Hill->Flying Battery (presumbly with Day Palette)->Sandopolis->Lava Reef->Sky Island->Death Egg).

Other betas of 3 that have graphics and shit for Knuckles, which you might argue is because they planned the lock-on, but I think is remnants of original scope.
>>
File: Lego Man.png (355KB, 1131x396px) Image search: [Google]
Lego Man.png
355KB, 1131x396px
>>2823536
>I think _I'll_ be the judge of how to best emphasize my words and phrases, you condescending little prick.
Your comeback consists of continuing to put underscores around words to emphasize them, the same way it's done on YouTube, and a way that doesn't work on 4chan, hence why you never see anyone do it that way. You continue to "italicize" words like a complete newfag while buffing up your chest, putting on a deep voice, and saying, "YOU are the newfag here," when really, you're just coming off as hilarious. Look at any other thread on the website and tell me exactly how many other people are putting underscores around words to emphasize them. You are a newfag, plain and simple, and any attempt to dodge the truth will only come off as pathetic.

>And traditionally, all-caps connotes shouting, not emphasis. Of course, you'd know that if you were on the internet before the goddamn millennium
And here's a post by Lego Man from 2007.

>Scrublord
You weren't on the internet before the goddamn millennium. No one who is old enough to be on internet before the goddamn millennium has ever said the word "scrublord".

>your image
Jesus H. tapdancing Christ, your ego is bigger than the sun. If you could give your own posts "likes" on 4chan, that image is a sure equivalent.
>>
>>2823590
Memorization. Why can't modern gamers understand this? Sonic games are loads of fun when you actually take the time to learn how to play them.
>>
>>2817048
Had fun at the barrel?
>>
>>2823680
Not him, but please don't tell me that you're so unfathomably insecure and convinced that Sonic 3 is a terrible game that you're using the barrel as a single, solid reason as to why you think the game is bad.
>>
>>2823701
Nah, just a joke.
>>
>>2823672

Learning the layout and replaybility is offensive to people and a form of bad gameplay design for some dumbass reason. They want to go fast, but don't want to work for it

These same people probably complain about modern Sonic and the boost mechanic.
>>
>>2823525
You know what the whole problem with the barrel was? They never properly explained to people how to use it. And then they placed one in a mandatory, point-of-no-return room with nothing else to do and no way out other than using the barrel. There's a huge variety of gimmicks spread throughout each level of the game, and for the vast majority the team did an excellent job of tutorializing players on how they work. The fact they did that so well with everything else, combined with the fact they failed to do that effectively here is the key to why so many people were so baffled by it; it was just so unexpected. And it didn't help that this happened 8 acts into the game, by which point players had already been expressly conditioned not to expect this type of issue since they would have had no problems understanding other gimmicks so far.

The CNZ barrel is the one that got away. It was perhaps just a small oversight, but it pretty much turned into a huge debacle for everyone involved, including the kids (myself included) who got stuck on it. I think they may have at least tried to show how the barrels work, but failed -- one of the first things you see upon entering CNZ when playing as Sonic or Tails is an identical looking barrel as the infamous one, except it functions differently and its placement seems to encourage players to jump on it, which is basically teaching what not to do to get past the other barrel later. Ironically this, I believe, only served to compound the whole barrel issue that much more.
>>
>>2816348
>current meme

I've seen people call this opinion a "meme" or a "bandwagon" for like a fucking year now. It's not going away, they're just actually bad games.
>>
>>2823534

i don't get why the time limit exists at all it is basically only ever a problem on that one level
>>
>>2823672
because what is the incentive to memorise and get good at a game if it is not fun BEFORE you've played it a bunch of times to memorise it in the first place

Players are not going to physically know the game ahead of time, so it has to actually be fucking fun to play the first go around. Sonic games in my experience are kind of shitty on the first go.
>>
>>2823453
,,yeah?? play sonic 1 and come back and tell me how not awkward it feels to move slowly. are you just going to be completely disingenuous at this point like sonic's gimmick wasn't always entirely about speed.
>>2823715
the boost mechanic takes away the challenge you love so much completely
>>2823471
ok. you should be able to have a fun experience without memorizing the level design.
>>
>>2823672
actually decently designed retro games are good without having autistic reverence to the map design
>>
>>2823752
>ok. you should be able to have a fun experience without memorizing the level design.

You can. It's this thing called reaction time. It's very helpful for action games like platformers. There's an enemy in Sonic's way. You press down. Or jump. A multitude of options.

I feel like people who complain about how Sonic plays have never played a video game in their life.
>>
>>2823739
calling opinions "memes" is now a meme.
>>
>>2823759
i feel like people who pretend sonic games are good are part of some extremely long running prank that completely slipped me by
>>
>>2823759
yes but in good platformers you arent forced to have a millisecond of reaction time and don't have to waste more time getting your rings back. its not even an engaging punishment since you only have to grab one ring to be ok and just ends up being a flow-breaking annoyance which would work if it was caused by careless players, not careless designers.
>>
>>2823759

One moment it's about memorising the level design, eliminating the need for a reaction time. Now it's about reaction time and not needing memorisation.

Pick a fucking argument, asshole.
>>
File: 2926290-6557862223-grasp.jpg (607KB, 648x881px) Image search: [Google]
2926290-6557862223-grasp.jpg
607KB, 648x881px
>>2823771
it's also apparently not about speed even though it's clearly all about speed
>>
>>2823727

It should also be noted that the barrel was used several other times in the level and the solution was to jump up and down enough to get it to go higher.

On top of that, no other game used the up and down buttons to activate a gimmick. This is the only one. You have no visual or audio feedback that pressing up and down does anything,especially if Tails is with you. Then the whole world goes to shit.
>>
>>2823758
NiGHTS is fucking horrendous. Worst game I've ever played. The millions of people who praise it as a classic are all just screeching autistic retards.
>>
>>2823781
ok. never played it.
>>
>>2823778
Yeah, there's one guy in threads like these who claims that early Sonic games aren't about speed and that it was entirely a US marketing thing when that's complete bollocks.

these are definitely platformers with a speed emphasis and claiming otherwise misses the actual point of the game so hard I'm not sure why he's defending their quality when he doesn't even understand their premise
>>
>>2823781
I played NiGHTS for the first time a couple of days ago and it was really fucking confusing but I had a lot of fun anyway.

that game has a better sense of speed than any sonic game of the time
>>
>>2823783
why would the game automatically make you move fast by moving at all if it wasn't about speed? why would there be a speed boost powerup? why would there be constant ramps that give you a boost? why would there be spindashing in 2 and upwards if you weren't supposed to move fast? why would you be able to go around loop-de-loops and run on water if the game's emphases wasn't speed?

it's seriously the most ridiculous argument i've ever heard. especially from such a defensive fanboy
>>
>>2823727
Read an instruction manual faggot
>>
>>2823565
There aren't many bad levels in Sonic 3k except for Sandopolis. Fuck that level. Launch Base was annoying sometimes but not that bad.
>>
>>2823752
>ok. you should be able to have a fun experience without memorizing the level design.

It's possible to have fun without going top speed all the time, anon.

They're not even that fast. Hell, Sonic 1 has a fucking speed cap to prevent you from going too fast.
>>
>>2823791

The instruction manual tells you that Robotnik put several deadly traps you may not be able to get out of and the only way out is to reset the console or let the timer run out.
>>
>>2823579
Actually, the only one that didn't was Marble Garden I think.
>>
>>2823547
>Carnival Night Zone 2 IS shit, for literally what was stated. It's a long stage full of shitty gimmick platforming and trap jumps solely designed to knock you off a raised path and back several minutes.

Hey, I am this guy
>>2823727
And I want you to know I'm sitting here laughing at you, thinking you can accurately sum up an entire zone in 2 sentences, like that, like that's really all there is to it. There is so much more thought, talent, effort, and skill that goes into creating any level than you seem to realize, especially in this case. It's fair to say of S3K that it truly represented the state of the art of 2D platforming at one time, which is pretty impressive. Have you ever actually sat down and looked at the level maps of competing platformers in that era? They are overwhelmingly, clearly shit by comparison. Don't forget Sega was one of the main players in the industry back then, and Sonic was both their mascott and flagship series, so you better believe they paid top dollar and spared no expense to hire the best team of Japanese coders and developers around to ensure the quality of their product. This was back when companies actually gave actual fucks about creating genuinely good video games for people. These people -- entire teams of them, all professionals in the field of game design -- got together and worked really hard every day for many months to produce these levels. They were literally inventing everything you now think you know and take for granted about game design when you were still in grade school.

And you think you can come in here with your extremely limited background and just write off an entire level in 2 sentences, and expect to be taken seriously? Now that is fucking funny.

Also I'm the guy you were replying to.
Also you're extremely shitter shattered, but there's no need to be. You should try pick up on sarcasm better.
Also for the record I'm not mad either, just a little bit autistic about muh sanic I guess.
>>
>>2823797

Truly, the greatest level of S3
>>
>>2823794
kinda funny when you have to ignore the main mechanic to have fun. almost like it's badly designed or something
>>
>>2823780
>It should also be noted that the barrel was used several other times in the level and the solution was to jump up and down enough to get it to go higher.
I thought I did make a note of that, already.

>On top of that, no other game used the up and down buttons to activate a gimmick. This is the only one. You have no visual or audio feedback that pressing up and down does anything,especially if Tails is with you. Then the whole world goes to shit.
I think I will make a note of this, right now.

Yes, I keep notes about this game.
>>
>>2823739
>they're just actually bad games
but they're not.
>>
>>2823808
theyre polished turds
>>
>>2817249
Most people who talk shit about Daikatana are spouting the same memes that JonTron started except at least JonTron stated positives of the game, some of them at least.
>inb4 there aren't any
>>
>>2823796
Well there you go
>>
>>2823804

Oh for fucks sakes. Nowhere did I say going fast was a bad idea. The objective is absolutely to blaze through the stages, and back in the day these games thrived from replaybility. You are going to be terrible at these games on the first go. That's just a fact. That in no way means you can't have fun during your repeated attempts at improving. Like you did in every other damn video game ever.
>>
>>2823809
Why don't you like them anon? Is it just not fast enough for you? Too much awkward platforming? They're honestly very fun, but if you want speed, try Sonic Unleashed or Colors or something.
>>
>>2823827
other games eased people into those challenges much better, even if theyre hard. sonic doesn't. this is my entire point
>>
>>2823827
>the objective is absolutely to blaze through the stages
the objective is to beat the stages while getting through obstacles, the game rewards you with going fast, Sonic Unleashed is a game where it's all about "gotta go fast"
>>
>>2823834
other *good games
>>2823835
yeah it enforces the speed aspect to the point where it isn't even engaging. like i just feel like i'm watching a gopro rollercoster video playing modern sonic games
>>
Alright. What do you want from Sonic?
Tell me
>>
>>2823840
fair but engaging challenges
>>
And your point is bullshit because Sonic Genesis aren't even difficult and the level design rarely has bullshit moments. There's only 4 real horse shit parts on the entire trilogy and 2 of those are in 3, and all 4 of them come late into the game.

I'd we were talking about the Dimps developed Sonic games, I would absolutely agree with you, but we're not.

Sonic games were fast and fluid, but the games were not fast to the point that you couldn't react to most obstacles and a majority of the level design took account into avoiding cheap shit.

Except Metropolis Zone.
>>
>>2823835
>the objective is to beat the stages while getting through obstacles, the game rewards you with going fast, Sonic Unleashed is a game where it's all about "gotta go fast"

You get a huge score bonus for beating the acts as quickly as possible. Just because they don't slap an Shrank at the title screen doesn't mean the game isn't about going fast. It absolutely is, the entire engine and the mechanics were specifically designed for that purpose. Sonic 2 was upgraded so that it could go even faster on top of that.
>>
>>2823850
is "ur just bad at it!1" the only argument sonic fanboys can muster? the problem is all the "challenge" in sonic is either just pure unfair annoyance to players who couldn't react fast enough, or just none at all cause for some reason you think it's fun to memorize enemy/trap placement. good games have challenges that you can recognize before facing them, running into something you couldn't see coming isn't a challenge, it's just bullshit, and neither is knowing it's there, since at that point all "challenge" has been subverted. it's bad design
>>
>>2823869

S-Rank thanks auto correct
>>
>>2823873
>the problem is all the "challenge" in sonic is either just pure unfair annoyance to players who couldn't react fast enough,
oh no
>>
>>2823873

At no point did I say you're shit at Sonic

I said that the games avoid cheap shit through its level design and the games aren't as fast as you claim that makes reacting to obstacles impossible.

Learn to read.
>>
>>2823869
key word: bonus
>>
>>2823882
>the games aren't as fast as you claim that makes reacting to obstacles impossible.
>"ur just bad at it!1"

i mean in sonic 2 you could move so fast you could outrun the camera for fuck's sake. your apparent superhuman reflexes arent commonplace
>>
>>2823572
>Marble Garden 1 and 2 are easily some of the worst levels in 3&K,
Honestly, I understand how you feel now. It's an acquired taste. My childhood self would have completely agreed with you.

Granted the tops can be cumbersome. In their defense though I would point out what relatively cool and unique gimmicks they are and that outside of a few specific instances Sonic is the only one who really has to rely on them.

>>2823572
>even in places where it would make more sense to just be able to spindash through a barrier.
See, this right here -- I know this is why you're not understanding this game's level design. It's commonplace for areas to look a certain way despite the demands of other parts of the level necessitating that they work differently on the inside. For every wall that's only destructible with the tops, there's an equally good reason why. There's a lot of behind the scenes stuff going on at any given time or place in this and for that matter all other games, too. It's not fair to cite this as if it were somehow a flaw. You just don't like the tops because you can't handle their controls. I disagree that their respawning system is in any way flawed, either. What is your solution to that situation, then? At least they're not gone for good should you mess up, which would be hard because the sections where they're needed are extremely easy.

>>2823572
>There are no short or even particularly interesting routes through MGZ 2 (1 is alright in this aspect) to make it more tolerable
Sure there are. And MGZ1 is not just all right, it is one of the single most complex maps in the entire game. Which is a good thing, by the way. I like its length. I like its sense of completedness. The palette, the setting, the sky boxes in the background, the steep slopes, the music... it goes on and on.
>>
>>2823892
wasn't that in like 1 section of the second level?
>>
>>2822072
WE NEED A BITCH NIGGA CONTAINMENT BOARD, OH WAIT THAT EXIST ALREADY, ITS CALLED REDDIT,GET TO IT FAGGOT
>>
>>2823898
i'm not saying it happened all the time. i'm saying sonic's speed isn't very accessible to new players. yes, the earlier levels are usually a bit more fair as far as obstacle placement goes but later zones pretty much always threw that out the window. if you weren't always trying to keep yourself from moving too fast and running into something you were doing boring shit like climbing stairs or awkward platforming.
>>
>>2823908
typing like a boondocks character doesn't make you not a nerd on 4chan
>>
>>2823579
>If there is one thing I have to give S&K credit for is lack of water.
Fine with me, never cared for water levels myself. That said, while you're at it, you might as well give it up to S3 for its fucking flawless implementation of water into almost every level.

>I think S3 had water sections every level.
All except MGZ.

>Sonic underwater sections should have been like Ecco the Dolphin, fun.
In 3, they were. Did you even play HCZ? It is a shining example of the water level done right for once. It's glorious.
>>
>>2823581
I'm not sure I was able to decipher what you mean but I'm reasonably sure that both questions have the same answer: one is for Sonic/Tails, the other is for KTE.
>>
No shit, right?
>>2823590
as an adult looking back such a great concept.
The game keeps getting better the older I get. It is an amazing phenomena.
>>
>>2823429
>the point of the game is to move fast
Moving fast is a goal to work towards, not something that's guaranteed to any retard playing the game for the first time. Sounds like you want the game to be a straight line that practically beats itself instead of having to work for your speed. Might as well go play some modern games.
>>
>>2823951
>ur just not good at it!1
>>
>>2823962
nice argument
>>
>>2823962
It's like complaining that Contra sucks because while it's supposed to be about feeling like a badass, any new player will feel helpless and die constantly. Literally git gud if you want speed, or play some instant gratification games instead if you're too much of a lazy fuck and want to feel cool without earning it.
>>
>>2823971
yeah your argument is bad
>>2823979
except contra gives you time to react to the bullets coming at you and infinite ammo to spray wherever you like. i would argue that contra 3 has some of the same problems i'm talking about with sonic but whatever, contra isn't meant to be an accessible kids' game like sonic. its a moot (hehe) point
>>
File: tmp_4198-images(2)489494944.jpg (6KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_4198-images(2)489494944.jpg
6KB, 256x192px
>>2823930
>In 3, they were. Did you even play HCZ?

Hydrocity plays nothing like Ecco, are you insane?
>>
>>2823986
>contra isn't meant to be an accessible kids' game like sonic.

They were all kids games. Video games were primarily marketed to children.

For fucks sakes, the NES came with a toy robot.
>>
>>2823986
>except contra gives you time to react to the bullets coming at you and infinite ammo to spray wherever you like
Sonic gives you plenty of time to react in most instances as well. Don't be stupid.
>contra isn't meant to be an accessible kids' game like sonic
So you're literally complaining that the game's not casual enough for you?
>>
>>2823743
In short, it's a game about speed, anon. Not strictly, solely about speed as if that were the most important thing -- but it is important. The game is going to include a timer in some form or other, that's just the way it is. It's better off that way, too: 90% of the time, running out of time is not an issue and it naturally becomes even less of an issue over time as you become acquainted with the layout of the land. It serves as an occasional way to shake things up the rest of the time when it does matter, varying the gameplay by adding a special sense of urgency to every action taken. It's also used for time attack modes in those games and important to speedrunners as an official measurement. And it's used to calculate scoring at the end of the act.

The long answer is it adds a whole slew of additional, significant gameplay elements. It doesn't seem that important, but it is. With it, players are practically being presented with 2 different options for how to play each and every level: take your time exploring for rings and secrets, or try and rush through in the shortest time you can. Of course, one could also try a combination of the two goals; or, neither one.

No matter how players approach the game, it is still quite possible to complete. The only real criteria is not to die a lot. So, it's a robust game engine that supports multiple different playstyles while neither ruling out nor requiring any of them. Frankly, the game doesn't give a fuck what you do -- but thanks to its surprisingly useful statistics tracking there's a good chance you will enjoy doing it.
>>
>>2823990
>For fucks sakes, the NES came with a toy robot.
and it failed horribly and was replaced with a game half of which was about murdering ducks.

if you had a split second to dodge the bullets in contra i'd have the same problem. it really just isn't a fair comparison.
>>2823991
>So you're literally complaining that the game's not casual enough for you?
>ur just not good at it!1
uh no i've beaten sonic 1-3 multiple times. i'm talking design here. talking down to me based on pure presumptions and your apparent love for pretending running into shit is a well-designed challenge isn't a proper argument.
>>
>>2816506
I have never had a problem with Tails even during special stages that I can remember.
>>
File: 1431686761893.jpg (166KB, 1024x721px) Image search: [Google]
1431686761893.jpg
166KB, 1024x721px
Played them in the 90s and I never cared for them, even though I really wanted to. I'd seen Sonic in magazines and I liked the cartoons and comics, so I was really eager to play, but for a long time, no one I knew had a Genesis.

The music is magnificent and the graphics are extremely pretty, but the gameplay itself isn't that good. The novelty of the flashy "HOLD RIGHT TO GO AROUND LOOPS N SHIT SUPER FAST WHOAAA FUCK" segments wore off pretty fast for me, and exposed that the core platforming was just lacking. It was like they hoped the soundtrack, beautiful graphics and aforementioned speed segments (which are kind of more like cutscenes than gameplay) would make up for the fact that there wasn't much else in the levels outside of that.

I'd describe classic Sonic as "all flash, no substance" because its got a ton of personality and the speed segments are showy, but that's it.
>>
>>2824003
this 100%
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8VnqFPVyCo
>>
>>2823998

You've had people post webms, analysis of the level designs, and even a doodle of level layout.

Yet you dumb down everything with "ur just not good at it!" and repeat yourself over and over.

Give it up. You're not convincing anyone.

You may be mediocre at sonic games, but you're completely incompetent at forming an argument.
>>
>>2824003
it's like even if you're a pro at sonic all youre really doing is jumping over shit. it's either a frustrating slog for new players or just a disengaging non-challenge for experienced players.
>>
>>2824009
The power of autism keeps him going, anon.
>>
>>2823998
>if you had a split second to dodge the bullets in contra
You do only have a split second to dodge bullets in Contra. If you get right next to an enemy that is. You know, something you wouldn't do if you wanted more time to react, but something you would definitely want to do if you're familliar with the game. Similarly to that, you can control the pace at which you move in Sonic pretty well. If you're not familliar with the levels to move fast, simply move slower until you are. This argument is so stupid, goddamn.
>>
File: 1364044607832.jpg (36KB, 409x409px) Image search: [Google]
1364044607832.jpg
36KB, 409x409px
>>2824003
>speed segments (which are kind of more like cutscenes than gameplay)
>>
>>2824009
i had one webm of a guy who clearly knew what he was doing trying to tell me how new players would somehow react the same way, a bunch of shitposty quips about how it's fair based on nothing much at all, and a little doodle of something thats already a problem in the genesis titles and is apparently an even bigger problem in the gba games. and all youre doing is talking down to me because i said your favorite game is bad
>>2824014
i think the anons shaming me for saying that memorizing a game's layout to enjoy the gameplay isn't fun (it isn't) is the more autistic mentality imo
>>2824016
the bullets take a couple second to fly across the screen, the only time they become trouble is if you arent clearing areas fast enough and have to dodge multiple ones. & why the fuck would you get right next to an enemy in a game where you have a gun and infinite ammo? and yeah i love slowly inching along in a game objectively all about speed. this argument is so stupid, goddamn.
>>
>>2824003
Sonic 3 & knuckles is incredible though
>>
>>2824020
now that i think about it most of the problems with the obstacles in sonic probably could've been alleviated if the camera was a bit more dynamic. like if it would move ahead of you a bit if you reached top speed. iirc yoshi's island did something like this
>>
>>2824020
>why the fuck would you get right next to an enemy in a game where you have a gun and infinite ammo?
To do damage faster, you dip. It's incredibly useful for turrets, enemies with shields and especially bosses. You can unload all of the shots from your spread into a single target and also do it faster because the on screen bullet limit doesn't matter. It's incredibly useful and feels great to do.
>a game objectively all about speed
Speed is the reward for skilled players, not the guaranteed outcome to any retard. If you don't like moving slowly, learn the game.
>>
>>2824026
>To do damage faster, you dip. It's incredibly useful for turrets, enemies with shields and especially bosses. You can unload all of the shots from your spread into a single target and also do it faster because the on screen bullet limit doesn't matter. It's incredibly useful and feels great to do.
or get the R powerup like youre supposed to do.
>Speed is the reward for skilled players,
nope, it's the basic mechanic for the whole game. quit denying this.
>If you don't like moving slowly, learn the game.
i've emphasized like 50 times why this is bad design and not fun either way
>>
>>2824031

You haven't emphasized anything. You just link a post, dumb it down and represent the original argument, and say it's bad for no reason.
>>
>>2816352
>post-ironic
so, sincere
>>
>>2824031
>nope, it's the basic mechanic for the whole game. quit denying this.
Speed is a primary aspect and it is accessible in smaller doses even to the inexperienced. The better you get, the more rewarding the experience becomes.

You make no sense.
>>
>>2824031
>or get the R powerup like youre supposed to do.
That doesn't get rid of the limit, though. It also doesn't allow you to hit enemies with every bullet from the spread.
>nope, it's the basic mechanic for the whole game
Firstly it's not, momentum is. Secondly, just because it's the basic mechanic doesn't mean it should hand anyone speed eve if they suck. Tell me this, are you actually suggesting the game would be better off if they made sure most new players could easily clear all the levels at top speed?
>>
>>2824043
Saying speed is a basic mechanic for the whole game is like saying shooting is a basic mechanic for all of Megaman, no?
>>
>>2824043
>Tell me this, are you actually suggesting the game would be better off if they made sure most new players could easily clear all the levels at top speed?
no. i'm saying maybe "go fast" as a driving platformer mechanic maybe wasn't a good idea at all and was based too much on showing off new hardware than good design

i'm done here though, a lot of these fanboy posts are just defensive shitposting at this point. no one's willing to look at what i'm trying to say
>>
>>2824048
No, the game's all about the physics and momentum management. High speed is a result of you learning the game but it's not a core mechanic.
>>
>>2824049
>i'm done here though, a lot of these fanboy posts are just defensive shitposting at this point. no one's willing to look at what i'm trying to say

No one is willing to look at anything you say because your points are bullshit.

You're crying because a good majority of this thread won't agree with you.
>>
>>2824054
his next response will be
>no actually you're the one that's crying because you can't accept the truth
while accusing you of fanboying for defending a video game while restating his same worn out points while saying that he's just done with this argument
>>
File: 1424143273564.jpg (22KB, 350x288px) Image search: [Google]
1424143273564.jpg
22KB, 350x288px
>>2823667

>thinking I care about obscure Chinese cartoon image board references.

It's actually rather amusing how upset you've gotten over the use of one _tiny_ little character...
>>
>>2824062
>Shitty reaction image
Nobody's going to buy your "Lel I was trollin u all a long" excuse. Accept you were a faggot and got BTFO and let the adults talk.
>>
They are my guilty pleasure.

Those complaining about "game so unfair for newbies!" need to grow some balls, a lot of kids in the 90's could deal with this, and just because your average LoL and CoD player or some kid that only plays smartphone games would lose some lives in sonic before getting good doesn't make them bad.

I guess all megaman games are bad now because they are aimed at kids and are considered hard at the same time.
>>
>>2824076
Guilty pleasure? They're fantastic. In fact, I just got done playing CD twice in a row.
>>
File: 1421975922494.jpg (103KB, 500x409px) Image search: [Google]
1421975922494.jpg
103KB, 500x409px
>>2824068

By all means, _do_ keep providing free entertainment.
>>
>>2824081
It's the autist that made me feel ashamed of being a sonic fan.

I even like most of the 3D ones
>>
File: Proof.png (40KB, 398x149px) Image search: [Google]
Proof.png
40KB, 398x149px
>>2824084
I'm the guy you were originally arguing with. The person you replied to isn't me.
>>
>>2824087
Then remove the autismos from your view of yourself enjoying the games. They concern jack shit.
>>
File: notfairindeed.png (543KB, 590x437px) Image search: [Google]
notfairindeed.png
543KB, 590x437px
>tfw no super sonic rpg ever
>>
File: image.jpg (186KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
186KB, 1000x750px
>>2824102
>having an argument over something this dumb
fap to this chick or something
>>
>>2824103
There was on, but it's awful.

AWFULLY GOOD!

Nah just kidding, I dunno how good it is, tried to emulate it but it had a lot of stylus based shit in it and I couldn't muster the energy to play it, even though I managed Bowser's Inside Story.
>>
>>2824107
You got more of this somewhere? Maybe with them actually being naked?
>>
>>2824102
I stopped giving a shit hours ago. By the way, it's against the rules to posts memes outside of /b/.

>cancerous
Look who's talking.
>>
File: 1422434049787.jpg (71KB, 500x461px) Image search: [Google]
1422434049787.jpg
71KB, 500x461px
>>2824107

Who's arguing? I'm just sitting back and watching in morbid curiosity as you transform into a weeb faggot before my eyes.

The level of wapanese is truly impressive.
>>
>>2824112
http://exhentai.org/g/873882/6e6182767f/
>>
>>2824102
Have everyone, look at this cool guy, he used to go on Something Awful back in the day, and now spends his time going out of his way to find Sonic Threads just to enlighten everyone about how autistic they are, every keeping a vigilant eye on the thread (because of course he doesn't have a life or friends or anything else to occupy his time with) to make sure anyone who points out the inherit pathetic-ness of being the coolest neckbeard virgin around.

I'm sure he'll read this and laugh, post a picture of a frog or something and put underscores around his post, and continue refreshing the thread, waiting for someone to take the bait, because it's the only thing for him to do, as soon as he tires he'll turn off his computer, and try to go to sleep, but instead only think about how he hasn't had a decent conversation with another human being in so long, and that if he died nobody would miss him in the slightest.
>>
>>2824120
>Have
You had one job, Anon.
>>
>>2824117
im not the same guy queerbait
>>
File: 1422182055495-2.jpg (88KB, 588x437px) Image search: [Google]
1422182055495-2.jpg
88KB, 588x437px
>>2824116

How could you have stopped giving a shit "hours ago" when you've been responding consistently for the past half hour?

You're not passing the bullshit test _at all_, sonny.
>>
>>2816348
i legitimately don't care for 16-bit sonic games. i think they're a great concept but not all that fun. my favorite is probably Sonic 2, and i think 3 & Kunckles are massively bloated with distracting graphics, a lot of like the NSMB series

Sonic 3D Blast is the only one of that era that i actually like
>>
>>2824118
without the gay panda
http://g.e-hentai.org/s/f34b351065/873882-1
>>
>>2824126
My first reply within the last half-hour was just a correction on behalf of the opposition. I didn't care about the actual argument anymore at that point. My second reply was a statement addressing the fact that I didn't care anymore. I still don't care about argument, especially when it's practically dead.
>>
>>2824127
meant to include, one of the reasons i don't like classic sonic is because i don't really like any 16-bit era platformers with that size of sprites. take sprites like Earthworm Jim as opposed to Yoshi in SMW2. i think it would have been a lot smarter to keep the sprites loose and free instead of bulky and weirdly scaled

now that i think of it i should try the Master System sonics. i might like them
>>
>>2824129

Finally, a useful link in this beshitted thread.
>>
Angel Island is the official fire level of S3K. Prove me wrong, anyone?
>>
>>2824139
... You mean fire as a level archetype?

Or fire as in "really good" (i.e. my mixtape is fire).

I thought you meant the latter and it was a good joke, but then you got me thinking about the level types...

Forest/Fire Type -> Water Type -> Ruins Type -> Casino/Neon Type -> Ice Type -> Technological Type

Hmmm...
>>
>>2824130
>I still don't care about argument
Ass.
>I still don't care about the argument
>>
>>2824151
Very good young padawan.
>Forest Type 2>Air Ship Level>Desert>Underground>Palace>Sky Sanctuary>Death Egg>Space
>>
>>2824196
Hrm, more like (for S3&K, acts divided by slash)

Tropical Forest/Fire -> Underwater City -> Rocky Ruins -> Carnival -> Ice Cave/Ice Plains -> Aquatic Base -> European Forest -> Flying Machinary -> Desert Ruins/Egyptian Ruins -> Lava Cave/Crystal Cave -> Underground Ruins -> Sky City -> Space Machinary -> Space

The disappointing thing is how Sonic tends to reuse its own level themes a lot.
>>
>>2823287
This.
Why people are so casual?
>>
I really liked the theme of the first game where half of the zones were natural, and the other half were technological. They should've stuck with that for future games, which had maybe 1 or 2 tech zones per game.
>>
>>2824305
Someone pointed out that apparently Sonic CD's whole schtick was to take each zone from Sonic 1 and give it a big twist.

Green Hill Zone, a kind of tropical appearance with some flat areas and some loops and hill, become Palmtree Panic that has huge loops and hill and platforms out the butt.

Marble Zone, well didn't really translate, but influenced design of Quartz Quadrant in the sort of underground mine.

Spring Yard Zone, a sorta of metallic bounce house with tunnels became both Collision Chaos Zone with bumpers and springs that sent you flying, and Whacky Workbench taking the same design to it's extreme with a floor that constantly sends you flying, and needs to be patiently navigated.

Labyrinth Zone, an underwater ruin full of spikes, rushing tunnels and infinite geometry became Tidal Tempest, with pipes that shot you from end to another and looped infinitely.

Starlight Zone, high paths in the air with fans that send you speeding and moving geometry set in front of a sky of stars became Stardust Speedway with boosters all along the ground and switches that move you between different planes.

Scrap Brain Zone, a metal factory full of deadly traps and narrow tubes became Metallic Madness, pretty much the same with a harder aesthetic.

Not to mention how they all have a "natural" past, decayed industrial "bad future" and a sort of "technology and nature in harmony" good future that would make Mother 3 weep.
>>
>>2824380
Marble Zone's Sonic CD incarnation was originally going to be an ancient ruins-themed level in between Palmtree Panic and Collision Chaos only known as "R2" in the game's files. Quartz Quadrant and Wacky Workbench are completely original.

Green Hill Zone = Palmtree Panic
Marble Zone = R2
Spring Yard Zone = Collision Chaos
Labyrinth Zone = Tidal Tempest
Jack Shit Zone = Quartz Quadrant
Absolutely Nothing Zone = Wacky Workbench
Starlight Zone = Stardust Speedway
Scrap Brain Zone = Metallic Madness
>>
>>2825025

As I seem to recall, when asked about its absence, the project lead bluntly replied that the designer for that level had done a lousy job. Due to time restrictions (remember, because of the time travel mechanic that's potentially four zones that have to be redone) they had to cut it instead of redoing it.
>>
>>2817463
So no game has ever been good because even the ones that hold up today will eventually cease to do so?
>>
File: 3623-dude.png (26KB, 279x320px) Image search: [Google]
3623-dude.png
26KB, 279x320px
This thread is all over the goddamn place.

It's "fan" interactions like this that made me give up on reaching out to the "community" through the internet when it comes to the Mega Man fan base. I've been into Mega Man since forever, but after realizing that the fans "come together" and "interact" on the net the same way this godawful thread is going, it soured the whole concept of "being a fan."

I'm glad I was never THAT into Sonic.
>>
>>2825532

The only thing worse than Sonic fans are Pokefans.
>>
>>2825532
What went wrong with this thread for you?
>>
>>2825532

All fanbases of popular, massive franchises are bad on the internet. They may be good guys individually, but as a group it's just a clash of different opinions that bring nothing but a mess that, as you say, sour the concept of being a "fan".

It happens to me with Castlevania.
>>
>>2823994
>It's also used for time attack modes in those games and important to speedrunners as an official measurement.

No, I get why the TIMER exists. I don't get why the time LIMIT exists. These are two different things.

that said the timer wouldn't be necessary for speedrunning purposes if the end of level time bonus wasn't stupid but that is neither here nor there
>>
>>2825556
>obligatory Rondo of Blood post
>>
>>2825025
>>2825030
I feel like Metallic Madness was rehashed from R2 for some reason. That and the fact that Stardust Speedway was the original final zone, judging by the ending FMV.
>>
>>2825601
I think they just saved it for last in the credits because they wanted the Metal Sonic race to be more climactic.
>>
>>2825608
I'm also talking about the cutscene with Amy and Sonic with the floor crumbling away, which is undoubtedly placed in Stardust Speedway (you can also hear the police siren sounds), as if Sonic just saved her, likely making Metal Sonic the original final boss.

Amy appearing after you defeat Eggman in MM looks quite strange and tacked in so they could transition to the aforementioned cutscene, at least that's how I see it.
>>
>>2825616
It's in Metallic Madness's good future.
>>
>>2825656
You mean the cutscene? Because no it's not, and you can barely spot Metallic Madness in the ending movie because of the saw bug-like enemies which are exclusive to that level, and it looks nothing like the earlier FMV (nothing like the stage either but I don't want to assume too much).
>>
>>2825669
Oh wait, never mind.
>>
I think each game has one super shitty level one good one and the others are just ok
>>
If there's one thing we can all agree on, it's that the music is supah fuckin' dope.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoVY7nvcel0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E_1r8yYU_M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9bN8JBwk_s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qw10LYqye4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo_4R17gYSY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKs5dBfcB9g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHfRLg_JDsc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9B9Fvr1ehw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_uQPe16Y2k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHT94hC7k2U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKBUGSpKUUc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjMheEmcGgQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTzDCwyFDeQ
>>
>>2816348
i liked sonic growing up. i was never able to beat any of them but they were fun. Now I'm 24 and I still love sonic, and have beaten them all on the genesis. I still return to one occasionally, fire it up, and run through it from time to time
>>
>>2816442
>sonic
>too fast
or maybe you're just too fucking retarded to watch the screen and know to jump as an obstacle is coming up. you were probably one of those kids who were afraid to play baseball because the ball coming at you from the pitchers mound was too fast for your mind to comprehend. fucking faggot
>>
>>2827559
You gotta have some 3D Blast in there, too. Despite the quality of the game, the music is some of the best in the series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX6WypI92js
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHa0D1aUJwk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsAdmTSggZc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM4zb6ptf2U
>>
File: 1433437258449.jpg (73KB, 359x525px) Image search: [Google]
1433437258449.jpg
73KB, 359x525px
>>2823429

>so youre suggesting i inch along as a new player even though the point of the game is to move fast?

When and where did I say that? I was saying (in a round-about fashion) that you're slow in these games because you (as the player) control Sonic in a terrible and slow manner. If you're consistently/repeatedly getting bad times (despite how long you've played the classic Sonic games) you're a bad player. The YT link is perfect example of someone who has perfected their technique over the mechanics and doesn't let these obstacles get in the way and is able to go fast, which you can also achieve if you focus and concentrate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6yZxuDFGG0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnAgjTBH_R8
>>
File: 1442168704876.png (134KB, 237x374px) Image search: [Google]
1442168704876.png
134KB, 237x374px
>>2823295
stale pasta m80
>>
the "How good were the classic Sonic games really?" has very little to do with people letting modern bad games color their perception and more that ideas of what makes good game design has shifted.

Things where you have the level pushing you to go fast only to slam an obstacle at you that the first time around you're unlikely to see coming is part and parcel with arcade design Sega were masters at. At the time when arcades were a major heart for gaming and arcade ports were still a big deal people wouldn't blink an eye at it, and hell the rings health system means even though your punished you can still keep going very easily.Just memorize it for next time, Because again memorizing obstacle placements being the only sure way to avoid them was fine if they weren't inst-death, hell go back to NES and having to memorizing to avoid instant death would not have been seen as strange. The rings at the time were brilliant way to let them make a game in a arcade style of throwing you at obstacles, but keeping it more manageable for the home.

Nowadays people look at this and think "That wasn't my fault! Sure I can easily get more rings and keep going, but why did I have to lose them to something I didn't see coming? Why should a game have to throw tons of health at me to make up for throwing me at obstacles?"
>>
>>2825532
Anything that ever focused on "continuity" to some level will attract retards. The more messy the continuity, the more messy the fanbase.
>>
>>2830519

Spot on
>>
>>2816578
>It is about momentum, but more importantly it's about maintaining it. Since enemies have to be placed on flat ground, I quickly learned that it's a good idea to roll going down a hill, which alleviates roughly 80% of the cheap deaths. The rest is just platforming skillz.
This; watching a newfag try to play an old Sonic game and just RUN through the level constantly taking hits and losing momentum is the worst. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS PRESS DOWN. JUST PRESS DOWN AND YOU WILL SOLVE THIS ENTIRE PROBLEM.
>>
>>2816348
I've always thought this . I'm a huge sega fan, but the entire sonic series is below average
>>
It doesn't anger me when I read things I disagree with.
>>
>>2832701
>The entire series is below average
The Genesis games sold a goddamn console, were more popular than Mario at one point, and have a fucking ginormous following, and CD in particular is one of my personal favorite games of all time.
>>
>>2827559
It's pretty good when it isn't straight up copying other songs.
>>
>>2816348
A lot of people who say that are casuals that can't handle such an easy game like Sonic.
Who cares.
>>
>>2833189
That's right. Having the band you commissioned to make the music for your game basing some of said music off their own songs is pure, unforgivable theft. They robbed themselves, dammit! How about some songs coincidentally sounding like other songs? Absolute heresy, I'll say. And let's not forget that people like Hideki Naganuma are dirty fucking thieves that deserve to be thrown in the big house for their dastardly sampling deeds.
>>
File: 58115_DKC2_screen5[1].jpg (185KB, 640x510px) Image search: [Google]
58115_DKC2_screen5[1].jpg
185KB, 640x510px
>>2834132
The Sonic games would have been so much more enjoyable if the player character were placed at the back of the screen, like in certain other vastly superior games, pic related. Instead they placed Sonic in the middle, leading to 50% of the screen being essentially useless, which in turn lead to a game filled with cheap shots.

If you are a Sonic fan, please justify Sega's decision to place Sonic in the middle of the screen at all times.
>>
>>2834132
This >>2834217 was not meant specifically for you.
>>
>>2834217
Because you often have to go left
>>
>>2834217
>Donkey Kong Country
>a superior example of anything except how graphics sell mediocre games

top kek
>>
>>2818989
The only cheap bullshit I remember from the Sonic series was the landing gear nonsense in Wing Fortress Zone. Who fucking designed that level?!

Other than that I had little problems
>>
>>2834259
You often go left in DKC2 too, but your character always has the majority of the screen in front of him/her. The POV can be adjustable, you know.

>>2834274
I concede that DKC1 is a somewhat shallow platformer that received the majority of its praise because of its graphics (unlike Sonic though it's actually decently designed and fun).

DKC2 is God-tier though.

Also, Sonic games sold because of both his visual design and his role as Sega's mascot. I suspect that if Sonic looked like Bubsy, nobody would give a shit about him.
>>
>>2834217
I like how you glossed over how larger player sprites would necessitate more screen space and affects the pacing as a result

Also rings
>>
>>2834345
>I like how you glossed over how larger player sprites would necessitate more screen space and affects the pacing as a result

How would putting Sonic at the back of the screen affect the pacing in a negative way? A first-time player would take less hits as a result, and it would greatly improve the pacing.

>Also rings

So having Sonic in the middle of the screen is a good thing, since it makes recovery from damage marginally more convenient, rather than putting him in the back, and having far less sucker punches from enemies in the first place?

I don't see how that makes for a superior experience. In a game centered around going fast, the first thing I would do as a designer would be to prioritize the player's ability to see ahead of them.

Maybe that's just me.
>>
>>2834384
No, I mean the actual size of the sprite itself. Because Donkey Kong's sprite is larger, they programmed a dynamic camera to move where you moved, I'm not saying that's a bad thing. However, since Sonic's sprite was smaller (albeit slightly larger in S3&K) you could see more of the level, giving you a greater sense of speed and allowed you to see enemies just as effectively.

You can argue that enemy placement can be cheap at times, but that's what rings are for. If you fuck up, you'll have a short invincibility period to deal with the cheap enemy with enough time to pick up a single ring; not to mention by that point you could be thinking of ways around the enemy in the future.

We're not talking about superiority here, are we? I thought we were just talking about fun.
>>
>>2834423
I think you're confused. The fact that Sonic's sprite is smaller than Donkey Kong doesn't negate the suggestion that Sonic games would benefit from a dynamic camera.
My tip is to roll more often if they have problems with the enemies in a Sonic game hahahahhahahahaha but I won't deny that a dynamic camera would be nice.
>>
>>2834441
>Sonic games would benefit from a dynamic camera.

Well, yeah, but that's not really what we're talking about; the camera's fine as it is. Roll more often, as you say.
>>
>>2834295
Landing gear part?

How can people talk about cheapness and not mention Sonic 2's boss? Goddamn bullshit. Make an entire game based around risk-vs-reward with the rings, where you can be gung-ho and beat the boss in 10 seconds with 2 rings you grabbed after taking a hit, or beat them in 2 minutes with all 100 rings you got through the level, then the game gives you no rings and makes you fight a trivially easy Metal Sonic, followed by a bullshit giant robot mecha that can only be hit in one area or it's instant death, except that area is 80% of time covered in spikes from arms that kill you instantly, and it jumps up every 10 seconds, and heaven forbid you unintentionally end up behind it because then it's fuck you instant death again. The whole battle takes like 10 minutes, forcing you to re-fight Metal Sonic EVERY TIME, and feels like it was intended as a coin/credit muncher.

One ring, one ring is all it would take to make it manageable. You get hit, you lose it, it falls off-screen. Hell a single shield box so you can take at least one extra hit.

Fuck off anyone who's simply going to reply "get gud" that boss is bullshit and you know it.
>>
>>2834483
It's the final boss. It's supposed to be challenging. Sonic 1 did it before so it isn't surprising.
If it bothers you that much go play the newer ports that give you rings.
>>
File: 17eqybwlipdbjgif[1].jpg (49KB, 256x180px) Image search: [Google]
17eqybwlipdbjgif[1].jpg
49KB, 256x180px
>>2834423
I just think that any hardship a character faces should have some degree of predictability for a first time player.

I can't objectively prove that a trial-and-error approach is inherently inferior, but I just think it's a cheap way to implement difficulty. It's like the difficulty equivalent of a jump scare.

Pic related is a great example of difficulty done right. Challenging, yet fair, and extremely rewarding once mastered.
>>
>>2834503
Maybe so if you had time to cautiously observe the stage, but the faster pacing of Sonic means split-second reactions, meaning the enemies needed to be designed around that.

Castlevania had a life meter. The enemies were made to be treacherous to slow down your progress and make you consider your movement. With Sonic, you have the option of skipping the enemy entirely with a well timed jump, effectively circumventing the "jump scare" from ever taking place.

Speaking of which, what enemies are you talking about that pop out of nowhere? The only one I can think of is the Grounder robot in Aquatic Ruins (which is still predictable due to the different colouring of the bricks covering the hole) and various Crawltons in Mystic Cave (Though you can usually see them when they're hiding anyway).
>>
>>2816348
Old Sonic was simple, even for a platformer, but had gameplay that modern gamers can't wrap their heads around.

Basically, where Mario was about the challenge of jumping over platforms, Sonic was about exploration, believe it or not. Every stage has multiple paths, and half the fun is replaying the game to find other routes. Said routes themselves being what added or removed difficulty. Like in certain stages, a wrong turn could end you into an underwater area, which changed up the game's tactics almost entirely, slowed everything down and made it a LOT easier to die.

Everything else is secondary, honestly. But then again, I'm weird, so maybe I'm the one who doesn't get it...
>>
>>2834493
>It's meant to be challenging
Yes, but instead it's frustratingly almost impossible.

Sonic 1 was fine because if you fucked up, you could say "I should have moved before I got crushed" or "it's because I put myself in an awkward position before the homing lasers fired".

Sonic 2 is "WHAT THE FUCK, THE SPIKE IS ONLY 2 PIXELS OUT, HOW DID I DIE?". There's no goddamn room for error.

Imagine if during Sonic 1 every-time you hit the capsule Eggman was in, it immediately shot the homing lasers. That's what Sonic 2 would do.

I dunno, maybe they were trying to show up the piss-easy final boss Sonic CD has, seeing as they were developed concurrently.
>>
>>2834583
heh, if that pisses you off, try with Knuckles. I know I know, he was developed way after Sonic 2, but damn
>>
File: Sonic Sedin's Shootout Scores.png (94KB, 1285x627px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic Sedin's Shootout Scores.png
94KB, 1285x627px
THESE REVIEWS ARE FAKE! THEY'RE ONLY PRETENDING TO LIKE THEM!
>>
>>2834583
https://youtu.be/SCcY9HciQVc?t=42 ?
>>
>>2816348
Never liked Sanic but I admittedly didn't play it in its heyday. P much I like to give a game a good ol' one-and-done. As such I prefer Mario, which is essentially about getting to the goal without getting fucked up. Sanic has replay value. You have to learn those pathways. In other words, if someone like myself plays it, they do a loop-de-loop, then trudge through a shallow pool until the boost-to-corscrew at the end of the level; and that's all we see of the game.

TL;DR Sanic only sucks if you don't wanna replay/learn it.
>>
>>2834596
This is the only real criticism I can agree on. Cheap and emulated games have allowed much wider selection, meaning you're not committed to a single game over a period of time.
>>
>>2834563
Sonic's route system is about finding your way to better parts of the levels, but that can just as easily be argued as being mastering a level, a flasher and fittingly more mobile version of knowing where to best stand in a Castlevania game.

With Mario I would agree that the first 3 games placed a greater emphasis on the challenge though SMB2 USA dabbles in a more exploratory approach. World on the other hand put's it's own take on exportation, finding secrets, front and center, going as far as to keep track of how many secret exits you've found. Sonic routs can certainly fall under the broad definition of exploration, but for the most part where a route is is not much of a question, you're not hunting for one, your using sonic's movement to get there effectively. Which plays to the character's strengths, he's not much fun to control when he's just starting to gain speed so checking out corners in a methodical search goes against his strengths, well launching himself to another part of the level does.

The other distinction plays into what anon said here >>2834532 about the enemies fitting Sonic's speed. Namely sonic doesn't have much in the way of interaction with them, he's either blasting through them, being hurt by them or bouncing off of them. Mario from the start opted for a more interactive set up with at least some of them. Most notably the Koopa and his shell, which opens up the ability to use enemies to change the environment, act as a weapon, and even have your own attempts to do that back fire.

Mario may have shorter more straightforward levels if you just look at the direction of them on a map but each challenge is often able to be played around with more, resulting in a more playground like approach that lets this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWgvPSkgMzY

Sonic instead plays more like a platformer/racer with how to run & jump through each challenge quickly and into the fastest part of the level as it's high end messing around.
>>
>>2834592
>SONIC'S MY NAME, SPEEDS MY GAME!

>Spends half the battle standing still
>>
>>2834640
>quotes a smash taunt

>referencing Sonic 2

Go-go-go-go-go-go-go-gotta go fast
>>
>>2834647
Fuck you.

Fine I'll quote Sonic from Sonic 2: "..."

Maybe I'll quote him from CD: "The war began, earth trembling fear, bald, brave, and cold "heart".... destruction grows closer, little by little, wow, the power he poses... is incredible, he doesn't stand a chance!"

Or from the god awful movie: "You might know everything I'm going to do, but that's not going to help you SINCE I KNOW EVERYTHING YOU'RE GOING TO DO! STRANGE, ISN'T IT?"
>>
>>2834695
Good job missing the point sperglord
>>
File: image.png (6KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
6KB, 256x224px
Is there a game like Snatcher but with some RPG elements tacked on? And don't tell me about that chibi Snatcher RPG that already exists. I'm asking about basing all the gameplay on commands, first person, no transitions between change of scenery, investigative gameplay & puzzles, but with some turn based fights, exp and so on. I don't care if it's retro or not.
>>
>>2834704
This was for a new thread, ignore
>>
>>2834717
I'm on mobile, don't see how to do it here
>>
>>2834724
Do it later, I suppose
>>
>>2834493
Sonic 2's final boss is kind of stupid. It's not terribly hard (unless you're playing as Knuckles, then it becomes completely and utterly retarded), but it's annoying as fuck.

>>2834441
even if it isn't a massive issue, I still think Sega should have used the Sonic CD camera in Sonic 3. Shit's wonderful.
CD being made at the same time as Sonic 2 made sense for it not to be in 2, but in 3? Probably should have happened.
>>
>>2817253
>>2817259
While these guys raise good points, they're both missing the funny side.
The idea that egoraptor and similar youtubers have taken the position of "the cool/influential friend" is hilarious, it's like a really bizarre take on every soccer mom's fears about the internet, except instead of kids getting molested or brainwashed by cults or whatever they just end up pseudo-hanging out with a bunch of losers.
>>
>>2834761
I think it's just because parroting other people's opinions is easier than forming your own. It's easier to say "I agree" rather than expanding or contradicting certain points, so subscribing to a general view is an easy way of pretending you have a legitimate opinion.
>>
>>2821892
I love RLM but they should just stick to reviewing shitty movies. This video was painful to watch.
>>
File: Amy_SonicJam.png (103KB, 259x384px) Image search: [Google]
Amy_SonicJam.png
103KB, 259x384px
>>2821746
>>2822064
>>2820431
>What the fuck is up with this attitude that a game should be completely experienced and beatable perfectly the first time?
Learning the mechanics of a game with unique gameplay is one thing but enjoying the "momentum based gameplay" in Sonic instead of playing it as a game broken up into slow & fast sections requires heavy stage memorization. Stage memorization is not fun; it's fucking I Wanna Be The Guy shit. You don't even have a fucking level select so if you want to practice a level you either have to emulate the game or start over and play through the whole thing!

That's why "momentum-based gameplay" is complete and utter bullshit. The old games are only "momentum-based" if you're memorized the levels and are basically speedrunning.

Memorization is the least interesting form of challenge. Yes, games require SOME memorization, but the level of memorization required to run through the stages in Sonic without stopping is just not appealing to me and also not appealing to most people. You can 1CC a lot of well-designed shmups if you're good at shmups because everything is telegraphed, but in Sonic it's radically different.
>>
>>2835146

How is it possible to have do much shit come out of your mouth and not choke to death?
>>
>>2835146
What's with the picture? You're shitting on the Sonic series, and yet, have gone out of your way to find an OLD design of a secondary to tertiary character (especially in respect to the original series), showing you have either an appreciation of the series, or an unhealthy obsession with one of it's characters.

Are you basically just here just attempting to get a rise out of people because nobody in high-school notices you? Gotta post a picture so people will read what I assume is the most thought-out piece of writing you've ever produced, being why you don't like a child's game?
>>
>>2834695
>Or from the god awful movie

Get out.
>>
>>2835154
>>2835213
he's right. why do sonic fanboys think ad hominem & "git gud" are arguments?
>>
>>2835146
How the fuck did I learn how to play these games when I was eight years old without a single problem, but you're presumably in your twenties and screaming about how hard they are? And no, it's not because "eight-year-olds can't identify the quality of a game", because the Classic Sonic games just get better every time I play them.

>You don't even have a fucking level select
UP DOWN LEFT RIGHT A+START
>>
>>2835146
You're treating "speed" as a central mechanic when in reality you have ample time to get through the entire stage. You don't HAVE to go fast, but you CAN. Herein lies the challenge of the game, to go as quickly >as you can handle.<

Granted, if you want to be the fastest sonic possible there will be memorization involved, but your usage of IWBTG is dismissive of the gradient that exists to get to that point. It's not repetitive as it breaks up the challenges with basic platforming, something IWBTG sorely lacks.

The "momentum-based gameplay" most certainly exists, but it's not spoonfed to you. For instance, in the second act of GHZ near the end, there's a ramp with 2 crumbling ledges and a gap in the centre. If you're not going fast enough, you won't have the momentum to carry yourself over the gap and you'll fall through. That's just one example.

>You don't even have a fucking level select

You practice later levels by being good at the preceding ones. This is literally the inspiration for the Sonic games.

So, to summarize:
You can play sonic more than once, meaning you can slowly learn the game instead of trying to force yourself to memorize the whole game your first playthough.

The "momentum based gameplay" isn't plastered throughout the whole game start to finish, it's speckled around to be learned at your own leisure.

Oh, and slowly tapping right to avoid taking damage and losing rings ignores why rings exist in the first place, to prevent one-hit deaths from cheapening the difficulty. You're the one making the game boring, not the game itself.

Competence is glory, and if you deny that I doubt you're a gamer in the first place.

>You can 1CC a lot of well-designed shmups if you're good at shmups because everything is telegraphed

1CC the first time? Don't be ridiculous.
>>
>>2835962
Because "It's too hard" isn't an argument either.
>>
The first Sonic was only okay, but had potential. None of the later games improved on the formula or fixed issues with the game

Mario, on the other hand, improved with every iteration
>>
>>2837521
This is a joke right? 2 and 3&K improved on the original tenfold. Whereas Mario DEVOLVED from Mario 3 to World.
Thread posts: 512
Thread images: 52

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.