[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trip Hawkins

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

File: Trip_hawkins.jpg (19KB, 343x343px) Image search: [Google]
Trip_hawkins.jpg
19KB, 343x343px
Is this man a genius, or the source of everything wrong with the industry today?
Do you think his concept for the 3DO could work in today's market?
>>
maybe you should tell us what the fuck you mean first
>>
It didn't even work in the market of that time :^)
>>
Trip Hawkins is just unsuccessful Ken Kutaragi
>>
fmv-based gameplay sucks, hardware priced way too high, hardware was weak to begin with, little support from third-party devs and no worthwhile first-party games to speak of.

Nintendo proved that you can shine a turd but 1. It's gotta be cheap and 2. you absolutely MUST release a Mario/Zelda or equivalent. E.G. the original Xbox probably would have failed if they didn't have the foresight to take a loss on the hardware and commission Halo 1.
>>
i like how he btfo sega on manufacturing his own third party cartridges
that shit was cool
>>
No. It might have worked in the early 80s, but it's even less practical today than it was in the 90s.
>>
>>2809374
>maybe you should tell us what the fuck you mean first
>not knowing the idea behind the 3DO
It was supposed to be an all-in-one system that created a standard format for video games. As in, you buy a 3DO in the same way you'd buy a new VCR or Stereo. It'd just be a thing that everyone had. Nintendo and Sega or whoever else could stop producing their own proprietary systems and instead focus on software. Every 10 years or so the format would update and you'd get a new system but all of your old games could either be copied over to the new format (like VHS>DVD converters) or would be backwards compatible.

>little support from third-party devs and no worthwhile first-party games to speak of
The 3DO had full support from EA (naturally), they really only needed one more major company to sign on (and a price drop) before it would have been successful IMO.
>>
>>2809417
i know the idea behind the 3DO and it's god damn retarded.

so basically we're just circlejerking that the 3DO sucks and still would to this day? okay. good conversation, guys.
>>
>>2809406
that shit killed gaming later on dumbass
>>
>>2809421
>so basically we're just circlejerking that the 3DO sucks and still would to this day? okay. good conversation, guys.
no, I mostly wanted to know /vr/s opinion of the guy. If you dont want to converse in a thread then why do you bother posting, or even coming here at all.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (11KB, 182x182px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
11KB, 182x182px
>>2809417
The idea of requiring licenses for manufacturers to produce games for your system was a relatively new one that consumers were still relatively positive towards as increased loss leading drove down hardware prices and theoretically protected them from the avalanche of shovelware that buried the VCS.

MAYBE MAYBE there might have been room in the market for 3DO if Sony hadn't change.d the game so effectively the other direction soon after.
>>
File: 3doblaster1[1].jpg (29KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
3doblaster1[1].jpg
29KB, 400x300px
>>2809427
>/vr/s opinion of the guy
He's a programmer/pirate that believed too heavily in his own philosophy that works okay for the software guys but obviously not for the hardware guys.

>Here's my idea for a platform that all games can just be released directly onto. Now you guys go produce it and charge whatever for it. I'm sure people will buy it. Go ahead and cut each other's throats while you're at it and oh yeah go ahead and fuck the consumers while you're at it since the only way to cut prices is to use shittier components.
>>
File: worthless.png (7KB, 468x286px) Image search: [Google]
worthless.png
7KB, 468x286px
>>2809427
>why do people tell me my thread is shitty?
Because shit threads clog up the top of the board and usually kill more worthy threads that just happen to be old. How about you stop and think about whether your topics warrant discussion next time?
And I remembered to sage with this reply so that your sucky ass thread doesn't get bumped.
>>
>>2809431
Consumers don't need protection from too many games. They should be allowed to make their own decisions
>>
>>2809465
Ehh, that's kinda one of the issues Atari had pre-crash.
>>
>>2809465
They kinda do though, because they tend to follow hype-trains and brand recognition.
I mean I'm free market to an extreme, but consumers are usually dumb asses when it comes to short-term products like video games.
>>
>>2809465
When we're playing $50 for a new game in an industry that has a no-refund policy because "muh piracy" and reviewers and journalists are both corrupt as fuck, we sure do.

Hell, back in the 90s when fast internet was rare, the piracy argument was legitimate, but nowadays? It holds no weight.
>>
>>2809448
/vr/ is nosage thanks to people 2 years ago woefully misunderstanding the concept of "polite sage"

>>2809465
We don't now, we kinda did in the 90s and we DESPERATELY did in the early 80s

I missed out on a lot of great games back then because I came to the point of basically only buying Activision games.
>>
>>2809503
>/vr/ is nosage thanks to people 2 years ago woefully misunderstanding the concept of "polite sage"
sage still works, I used it several times yesterday.

As to consumer protection, I think we still need it today, just in a different format. >>2809486
mentioned corrupt journalism, which regardless of the GG shit, you can't deny that game journos have pretty much always been the slimyest shits since the turn of the 20th century. Some PSX magazine gave Bubsy a 9/10 for an example in another thread.

>>2809486
also, wouldn't fast internet being widespread only increase piracy? I personally never say any console piracy back in the early 90's, but I was also a middle-class kid in a first world country, so my memory probably isn't too accurate.
>>
>>2809514
Fast Internet makes piracy an assumption - which is the same reason we don't need consumer protection now and the reason that the online component is ultimately the only thing worth paying for
>>
>>2809448
>usually kill more worthy threads that just happen to be old
Nobody care about old threads. I know, because I'm the only one who is actually saving threads.
>>
>>2809470
The issue was that there weren't enough good games, not that there were too many bad ones.
Implementing mafia like structures didn't improve games, it just improved Nintendo's position. People would just have moved to computers where no licensing policy was in place or necessary.
>>
>>2809570
>Implementing mafia like structures didn't improve games, it just improved Nintendo's position.
are you talking about atari? I thought "licensing" on the atari consisted of slapping "for the Atari VC/2600" on the box somewhere. Or not, if you didn't feel like it. Seems like a lot of 3rd party games for it didn't even do that much sometimes.
>>
>>2809570
>People would just have moved to computers
Corrrrrrectamundo! That's exactly why a concept like 3DO wouldn't work today.
>>
>>2809478
>I'm free market to an extreme
lmao
>>
So, if I understand correctly, which I might not - 3DO was the Steam of its time. Forcing everyone to play through it and being a piece of shit?
>>
>>2809754
Basically it was the Steam Machine of it's time. A game console that could be made by a bunch of people using the same OS that could run the same games.

Only real difference is probably that Steam Machines have more games.
>>
>>2809754
I was going to make the comparison but Steam doesn't require someone to manufacture dedicated hardware, which was the fatal problem of 3DO.
>>
Here's the thing: Trip tried to take the way PC hardware is done and shove it into the videogame market. There's just one tiny problem with that: I do not buy videogame consoles because I want them to be PCs. I buy them to be the complete opposite of them. I want something with a highly structured business model and proprietary specs when
I buy a console, because then I know two things:

1. It all works (ie no buying a SMS game that doesn't fucking play on all SMS').

2. It's likely to be really simple to operate (ie "pop-it-in-and-play").

You'll notice modern consoles have none of these features, in fact seem hell-bent on becoming inferior PCs, and thus I do not buy them.

The 3DO wanted to bring PC strengths to the console market and simply ended up with the disadvantages of both platforms instead.
>>
File: mg3.gif (34KB, 310x230px) Image search: [Google]
mg3.gif
34KB, 310x230px
>In some weird alternate universe, Metal Gear Solid was a 3DO game.
>>
>>2809765
Well said Anon
>>
>>2809401
>hardware was weak to begin with

It was actually pretty good for its time. Of course, the Saturn and PSX were way better, but they also came out 2 years later...

From what I heard the real problem was the devkits, compilers and the internal OS being immature and buggy.

Sega and Sony were much more mature from that regard, on top of being more powerful.
>>
>>2809553
>I'm the only one who is actually saving threads.
untrue
>>
>If you want to make money, make it on our platform and license your shit from us, and make sure it's compatible with everyone else's
That's nothing new That's the MSX model.
>>
>>2809765
What are you talking about?
1. 3DO games work on any 3DO.
2. You put the disc in the machine and press the power button just like a Saturn or PS1.

The reason the 3DO failed (4th place in sales out of nine 5th gen systems) was because it was too expensive and came out too early.

People who wanted to jump into the 32bit revolution bought rubbish like the 32X or Jaguar because they were cheaper.

People for whom money was no object bought an Amiga or Neo Geo.

Others stuck with their SNES and Genesis which were still getting good games from 93-94.

By the time the 3DO got price cuts the Saturn dropped and could do everything that the 3DO could do for $100 less.

Funnily history repeated for the Saturn when the Playstation released which did everything the Saturn did for $100 less.

The 3DO was popular with developers (even the Japanese) for its low liscencing fees but didn't manage to get enough of an install base to catch on.

They were going to release an new version or an upgrade addon that would surpass the power of the N64 but by then the Playstation brand was too strong and they gave up.

The 3DO has a library of 200+ games but many of them were ported to the Saturn and Playstation or were ports of PC games.

3DO emulation is shit with even basic shovelware educational 2D games freezing.

3DO has many adventure games and racing games and FMV games.
It has no shmups and a couple of RPGs and fighters.

The system has no region lock and no copy protection so you can play any game on CDR.
>>
File: Battletryst-richter.jpg (37KB, 535x415px) Image search: [Google]
Battletryst-richter.jpg
37KB, 535x415px
>>2810108
>They were going to release an new version or an upgrade addon that would surpass the power of the N64 but by then the Playstation brand was too strong and they gave up.
That was the M2, which they sold off to Panasonic before launch after the failure of the original 3DO. Panasonic shelved it completely since they felt the console war was too crowded for them, but not before licensing the hardware to Konami, who ended up making quite a few arcade games on it.
>>
>>2810108
>>2810124
D2 was supposed to be an exclusive launch title for the 3DO M2. Supposedly a good chunk of the game (which is completely different from the actual D2 that came out on the Dreamcast) was finished by the time 3DO announced they were dropping out of the console race. Only problem is that even if its dumped, there's no way to play it since the system never materialized.
>>
>>2810152
Trip touting M2 as 128 bit graphics in a next generation interview
>>
>>2809363
>Do you think his concept for the 3DO could work in today's market?

It could and has. PC has essentially become his vision and it's taken over everything.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.