[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DKC: 9/10 DKC2: 10/10 DKC3: 7/10 What are your reasons for why

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

DKC: 9/10
DKC2: 10/10
DKC3: 7/10

What are your reasons for why DKC3 was so inferior?

For me:

>enemy design is uninspired and generic compared to the other two
>no real "theme" (no pirates)
>music isn't as good
>animal friends aren't as fun/useful
>>
Two words: Kiddy Kong
>>
Kiddy Kong sucks mostly.
>>
>>2808287
I honestly don't understand why people rank DKC1 higher than 3. 1 was fun and all, but very mediocre with repeating bosses and poor level design. 3 has the best bosses in the series and varied levels. People can say they're gimmicky, but this actually started in DKC2, where few levels didn't have their unique gimmicks. 2 is the best one, no doubt, but 3 is close behind. The atmosphere doesn't feel as exciting, though, and I think that has a lot to do with it. But it's undoubtedly better than 1, unless you hate Kiddy Kong so much that your entire view is skewed.
>>
>>2808287
DKC3 >>> DKC1
Props for DKC1 for it's creativity as it's the first title, but the game is the most shallow level-design and gameplay wise.

DKC2 is unanimously the best, right?
>>
>>2808319

I don't know how true this is, but in my opinion DKC1 was the best. I thought the designs were more original than the latter ones.
>>
Didn't really mind Kiddy Kong, he was just sort of a redeco of Dong and pretty much what i wanted while playing DKC2 (strong character/light character). But i especially point out the less fun animal friends. They replaced Ramby with the elephant, you just dont do that.
>>
My ratings are in a vacuum where I go solely off of how fun the game was for me, so while I credit DKC1 for giving birth to the other two, overall it's mediocre in my opinion.

DKC1: 5/10
DKC2: 10/10
DKC3: 8/10
>>
>>2808325
The designs are more inspired and feel more exotic than Canada and bears, but gameplay wise DKC3 is a lot better. Only thing it DKC1 did better was having Rambi.
>>
Even though I think 3 is better than 1,I can't help but enjoy 1 more. I think it may be the atmosphere. Not to say 3 doesn't have a good atmosphere, but 1's resonated more with.

Might have also been the fact that I'm not huge on finding collectibles.
>>
>>2808417
I hate collectibles, but I think DKC did it alright. There's not much of them, and they're not insanely hidden
>>
>>2808334
This is exactly my opinion. Strongly agree with this anon
>>
>>2808287

DKC1: 7/10
DKC2: 9/10
DKC3: 8/10
>>
>>2808323
>DKC2 is unanimously the best, right?
Yes.
>>
It's so freaking weird how Donkey Kong is only a playable character in 1/3 of the DKC games.

I like the Diddy/Dixie matchup in 2, but 3 should have been an ensemble cast. No one like Kiddie...

And then don't get me started about how DK64 *was* an ensemble cast, but with clones! Exact clones of all the characters you knew! Lanky was the only good character in that game.
>>
C'mon i can't be the only one who thinks that DKC3 is the best in the series. I mean, I know I'm in the minority, but anyone else?
>>
>>2808525
It's specifically a DKC3 bashing thread so there's plenty of that going on. DKC2 is my favorite but I rank DKC3 pretty damn close.

There are a few meta things against it that aren't really against the game itself. By the time it came out the N64 was out and the SNES was well on its way to being a dead platform, although it's still in the top 15 by sales so maybe that's unrelated. I think there are a bunch of people who either hear the popular hate against it and go into with a preconceived dislike, or play the trilogy for the all at once and start getting burned out towards the end of DKC2. People make it sound as though DKC2 and DKC3 are completely different in just about every way, but they're really similar in most ways. It gets annoying when people start by saying "I hate DKC3 because" and proceed to list a bunch of things that are also in DKC2.

Kiddy is actually good to play as if you're not a total noob, and even if you are he still handles much better than Donkey Kong. His design was undeniably a really weird marketing choice though. The Japanese name was way better too; Dinky Kong.

Oh, and today happens to be 20 years since DKC2 came out but there's no DKC2 thread in the catalog. :'(
>>
>>2808520
>Lanky was the only good character in that game.
I prefer my cartoon monkeys to be more stylish and graceful
>>
2 > Tropical Freeze > Returns > 1 > 3

I know two of thosea aren't /vr/ but they're damn good.
>>
DKC3 was released during the same season as the Nintendo 64.

The game was rushed to have it stay at least semi-relevant to the end of the SNES' life cycle.

Rare rushed the game. It is obvious to see that the sprites are awful, the level design isn't fun and clever, the audio is shit, and the game is largely unpolished.

Some gamers even speculate that the enemy designs and sprites were lifted from other Rare games in production at the time (which may not have seen the light of day in order to cut back on production time.

I love the DKC series, but I don't like DKC3.
>>
>>2808842
Funny, that's not what Anita Sarkeesian said.
>>
Don't have one, I liked it a lot.
>>
>>2808287
DKC: 0/10
DKC2: 1/10
DKC3: -3/10
>>
>>2808287
>>no real "theme" (no pirates)

Its not so much that there wasn't a theme, its just that the woodland/countryside theme felt less inspired compared to the tropical/pirate themes of the first two.
>>
>>2809219
why
>>
>>2808502
My opinion as well

What I wonder though is why everyone loves edging themselves on this conversation. This has been such a hot bed of opinions for some reason. They're all roughly the same amount of quality,

>b-but the previous/later entry had--

Yes they're all different and they try different things. Sometimes they work sometimes they don't. Criticism can be effective and interesting sometimes, but I don't get why it always falls into this weird crack of "But this DKC was SO MUCH BETTER than the others!" They're all about on the same level. Whichever you think is the 'best and worst' they're not so far to warrant this kind of supposed quality gap.
>>
>>2809219
Despite the trolling, 1 is my favorite as well.

I'm in the vast minority.
>>
>>2808525
3 is my personal favorite, but I acknowledge 2 superior in technical terms. Not that there's a huge difference between any of the 3, they are all great.
>>
>>2808549
>>2811275
Overall I think that DKC3 is the one that actually gives more meaning to the "COUNTRY" part. The whole natural Canadian setting with the even bigger emphasis on wood feels like it actually fits the title perfectly. Also it's really the thing that hooked me from the beggining all of the settings are just so comfy. DKC1 had all those tropical jungles, temples, mines, DKC2 had a pirate setting (which I always disliked a lot), and all of them just feel so overwhelming, I think. The music is definitely the weakest in the series, I'll give you that, but I think gameplaywise the game is really underrated too. I always liked the combination between Dixie and Kiddy best, Dixie is just an improved version of Diddy since she can use her hair to fall slowly, and Kiddy brings back the same style of DK (which I always liked best to play as) to even things out. As a character people complain that he sucks, but although I also prefer DK, Diddy never really bothered me anyway. In terms of level design it has a lot of great gimmicks that make the game have a lot of different challenges and make each level unique like the one with the thunder or the one with the bees chasing you, even in boss battles we have cool shit like the snowball fight. People just gives this game way too much shit that's undeserved, I bet that they didn't played back when it was released, if not even nowadays.
>>
>>2811726
>Underwhelming*

Fixing that part
>>
>>2811726
I never got the Canada vibe that other people occasionally mention. All I can think of along those lines are the snow and tree levels and the general outdoors theme. A lot of that could apply to almost anywhere even in the US, so I don't know why it's associated with Canada so much. Even Rare itself was based in a fairly rural part of the UK. I would suspect people who think Canada are those who've never travelled much or lived outside of a city for any period of time. Don't know if that's accurate though, probably not.

Where would the other games be based if they were real places? DKC2 is pirates so maybe Somalia? I keep thinking Philippines as well though. As for DKC's industrial jungle mineshaft temple stuff, maybe Brazil has a lot of that?
>>
The only thing DKC1 did better than DKC3 was the art style. But even then the art style in DKC3 isn't nearly as bad as people say it is.

The DKC3 music is unfairly underrated.
>>
>>2811748
I can see that also being associated with some national parks in the US, but other than that it's fair to say that in a more general aspect it really does remember Canada.

As for DKC1 aside of the tropical jungles, I wouldn't associate it with Brazil only, the temples seem to be based around the Aztecs, in fact I think there is even a level with that name.
>>
>>2811748

>Somalia

What? DKC2 is very clearly Caribbean.

Regarding DKC's ruin levels, they look more like Greco-Roman ruins but in a jungle. Nothing Brazillian about them, nor Aztec like the other person said.
>>
DKC1: 5/10
DKC2: 5/10
DKC3: 5/10

They look nice and have nice music, but they really aren't anything special as games. They aren't fun to play and the mechanics are serviceable at best.
>>
>>2812948
This post: 0/10
>>
File: dkc.png (546KB, 768x671px) Image search: [Google]
dkc.png
546KB, 768x671px
>>2812948
What's your idea of a great platformer? Don't name Mario games - those are obvious. No action-platformers either, because that's not what DKC is about.

I've seen too many people say that DKC is mediocre and then name something like Plok! as an example of an AMAZING platformer. Seriously?
>>
File: Diddy-dkc2.jpg (50KB, 519x480px) Image search: [Google]
Diddy-dkc2.jpg
50KB, 519x480px
looking for a thread to post this

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0Wymh5iHeRp

the main melody to klomp's romp is good but there's so much extraneous shit added to it that kind of ruins the song - here it's isolated
>>
>>2808287
>What are your reasons for why DKC3 was so inferior?
None, I like it the most out of the three.
>>
>>2812959
http://snesmusic.org/v2/profile.php?selected=2032
now that you mention plok
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.