[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some games that could have been decent or good were

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

What are some games that could have been decent or good were it not for some key design flaws, making them unfair or frustrating to play?

Alternatively, what are some games that are good, but have extremely exploitable mechanics that make them too easy?

Post a game you believe fits either profile, and what you would fix about them. I'll start with a well-known game to kick us off.

FFVI is a pretty easy game from the get-go, but it becomes a total joke once you get the end-game equipment and spells. Atma Weapon+Offering obliterates everything, as does Ultima+Quick, not to mention the numerous exploits like Wind God Gau. Hell, Quick alone is almost impossible to balance from its design.

For starters, I would honestly remove Ultima and Quick, made it so Atma Weapon doesn't ignore the Offering damage debuff, and make the end-game monsters and bosses harder. Also make Magi Master not be vulnerable to Berzerk. He was supposed to be the game's super boss, kinda, after all.
>>
I'll save you 200 shitposts
>every jrpg ever
No need to thank me
>>
>>2807791
>Locke and Edgar at the Ghost Train
>Selecting Blitz attacks on a menu

Why doesn't Gorman do any research when making videogame comics?
He pretty blatantly doesn't play most of them but gets upset when people call him out on that.
>>
>>2807807
>no pummel

You could easily make a funnier comic with Cyan tickling the train to death with a Fenix Down, since that's what a lot of people do.
>>
>This game is horrible because it's too easy if I use these things that it's entirely my choice whether to use or not
>>
>>2807791
If you're going to tell me that you discovered all of these broken combinations on your first playthrough without using guides, I'll be impressed. But you'll be also one of the few people.

See when people complain about broken combos in FF and other RPGs they don't recognize that these games weren't designed to be played alongside an extensive guide. To discover these combinations would naturally require you to spend hours exploring and experimenting, at which point they're due rewards, even if they're gamebreaking. I'll give you Quick, but Wind God Gau? Atma Weapon + Offering? It's not something you just randomly come up with on your first playthrough, it's something that people discovered after playing the game for possibly years.

See, when people complain about these combos or FFV's dual wield holy blade rapid fire or something, I can't help but see it as claiming that SMB is "broken" and "unbalanced" because today you can just look up all the warp pipe locations and speedruns for the remaining levels and beat the game in 5 minutes.
>>
>>2807791
the ai in those old rainbow 6 games really needed settings other than 'aimbot' and 'moron'
>>
>>2807807
Why does some autist always mention this? Jesus, no one cares.
>>
>>2807863
>... Atma Weapon + Offering? It's not something you just randomly come up with on your first playthrough
Why not? Atma Weapon is such a good weapon and Offering is such a good relic that it makes perfect sense to pair them eventually. I'm playing FFVI for the first time as I type this and I did that.
>>
I tried doing the CES challenge for FFVI. Where once you get to the WOR, you only get Celes, Edgar, and Setzer and can never recruit any other characters ever.

No Locke means no Phoenix, Cursed / Paladin shield or Ragnarok so no Ultima, things like that.

You also have to go through Kefka's tower with 1 man parties.

Its a good challenge. It also makes the ending cutscenes different.
>>
>>2807791
>>2808235
I'd also like to add that Espers being able to teach anybody any spell is a mistake and the game would've been much better off without that feature.
>>
>>2808301
Can't you control yourself and just not teach everyone everything? At least VI had a time consuming requirement, FF7 didn't even try to discourage you from using everything on everyone.
>>
File: modding.jpg (128KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
modding.jpg
128KB, 512x512px
>>2808176
I care :^)
I suppose the author doesnt care a bit about the game and just wanted a funny meme for his ebin webcomic
>>
>>2807798
I don't know, man, I fully enjoy a lot of jrpgs. Gotta use your imagination to expand on the characters and story.
>>
>>2807863
Stop being reasonable and join the min/max crowd, anon. Jesus, it's like you find enjoyment in gaming or something.
>>
>>2807863
It's not really hard to break games like FF6. Especially when OP is using shit like ultima.
>>
>>2807791
Inaccuracies aside, I would enjoy the image much better without text in the last panel.
>>
>>2807791
>Not inputting with motions
>The quote in the last panel

It would have been better with any other piece of text.
>>
>>2808235
Atma weapon is also very well hidden and becomes unavailable after a certain point in an area you've no reason to return to.
Can't remember how you get offering but yeah, finding the weapon alone is pretty difficult and discovering the combo would take pure luck.
>>
>>2808601
The game tells you where to find Atma Weapon.
>>
>>2807791
I can't quite put it into words how cringeworthy this comic is. It's the most "DUDE RETRO LMAO" thing I've ever seen. It's also blatant the author didn't even play the game and just drew something based on internet memes to earn a few Patreon subscriptions from the Zelda-shirt crowd. I don't usually sperg out about "redditro", but this shit is completely obscene. Maybe it's the just the dumb ass tryhard quote in the bottom panel that is ticking me off the most, but goddamnit. I hope OP wanted to make me angry on purpose and didn't actually think that image is enjoyable or "cool".
>>
>>2807863
Pretending that breaking FFV and breaking FFVI are at all the same thing is dishonest as fuck. To break the former, you either need to A) abuse the Chemist or Blue Mage, which requires more experimentation than breaking VI does in any situation, B) need to stall out fights long enough for a Bard to buff your party into the stratosphere, or C) need to put up with classes that are thoroughly mediocre in the midgame for the entire midgame because otherwise you won't have those abilities until the ass end of the game.

To break the latter, you need to use Edgar or Gau for the WoB, or stumble upon Quick or Ultima or Flare or Holy or even just use tier 3 elemental spells on someone with good magic, or stick a magic boosting Esper on Sabin and find Bum Rush after the game tells you where Duncan is, or combo the Offering with any of the weapons that ignore its damage debuff, and this is just the things that are version-agnostic instead of bugs that only work on the SNES version.

They are not equivalent.
>>
>>2808659
I don't know... I thought it was pretty funny, just considering that someone actually remembered this particular situation. From what I recall, that attack didn't actually work on Doomtrain. There were a couple of bosses you couldn't Suplex
>>
>>2808316
>Kefka: "C-can you guys please go easy on me?!"
>>
>>2808301
I agree. some things were a waste, like giving Sabin Ultima, but getting everyone high level healing spells really nerfed the game difficulty, and wasn't too hard to do.

still, the game did make all that learning redundant, which is almost as good. Teaching Shadow any magic was completely negated by farming Pearl Lances and flinging them at everything that moved. Also, teaching Gau magic was completely worthless.
>>
>>2808727
VI had such a good story that I didn't mind getting Stray Cat on the Veldt and one-shotting everything until late in the game. also, some of that game was fucking hard.
>>
>>2808730
It actually does work. It doesn't do very much damage or anything, but it's still amusing nevertheless.
>>
>>2808737
>some things were a waste, like giving Sabin Ultima

Except most of Sabin's Blitzes, Bum Rush included, are magic-based rather than vigor-based, so the optimal way to build him up is to increase his magic stat. As such, a properly built Sabin is almost as much of a magic powerhouse as Terra or Relm.
>>
>>2808802
>so the optimal way to build him up is to increase his magic stat.
You just described every character except for Umaro and Gogo.
>>
>>2808659
I agree with everything you've said.
>>
File: atma_weapon.png (487KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
atma_weapon.png
487KB, 720x480px
>>2808601
Atma Weapon isn't well hidden at all, it's just lying in a cave opened by a very obvious switch. The bridge to it isn't even hard to see from the main path.
>>
>>2808884
But maaaaan did I miss it the first 8 times I played through the game.

I love how many secrets are hidden in it.
>>
>>2808893
>the first 8 times I played through the game
First time I'm ever saying this, but get a life, dude.
>>
>>2808849
Well, he probably meant optimal depending on how they were meant to be played or can be played. A lot of Edgar's tools are Strength-based, after all, and it also makes sense to run Terra with a Genji Glove or Offering + two very strong swords for massive damage in Esper mode.

But it's true, the 'optimal' way of playing this game is maxing everyone's Magic and then spamming Ultima forever. But in the end it doesn't really matter, FFVI is pretty easy without broken combinations, although knowing Sabin's blitzes are Magic-based does help (since you can start raising his stats early).
>>
File: Wayne's_World_-_DOS.jpg (683KB, 1479x1899px) Image search: [Google]
Wayne's_World_-_DOS.jpg
683KB, 1479x1899px
Wayne's World point'n'click adventure for MsDOS is such a bittersweet experience because WW is the optimal material for a point'n'click game, yet they still managed to fuck it up. The graphics are kinda ehh, not the worst ever, but certainly not excellent. The locations look alright, too bad they're all so static and still. Nothing happens in the background, there's barely any action going on. No flickering lights or people moving, nothing.

The second biggest flaw is the sounds, or actually just the music in particular, and the music is a very important part in Wayne's World. It's unmemorable, generic, and just not rock enough.

Just see for yourself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olWMhMD97v8

The intro pretty much sums everything that is wrong with this game. It's simply just too vanilla and generic and definitely not worthy of Wayne's World title.
>>
>>2809828
That doesn't look that bad.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.