[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I never really hear people talk about this console. Are there

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 7

File: Sega-Master-System-Set.jpg (2MB, 4000x2200px) Image search: [Google]
Sega-Master-System-Set.jpg
2MB, 4000x2200px
I never really hear people talk about this console.
Are there any good Master System games?
>>
>>2804114
Oh, okay then.
>>
Transbot is cool. I also used to play Hang On all the time too.
>>
Yeah quite a few. It's library isn't on the same level as the NES, obviously, but it is a cool little system. Zillion, Phantasy Star, Wonder Boy III, Golden Axe Warrior, Sonic 1 (not just a port of the MD game) and SEGA's Disney games are all excellent and well worth owning.
>>
>>2804113
Zillion. Sega's Metroid.
>>
Golden Axe Warrior. Basically Sega's Zelda. Also one of the few good covers for that system.
Cool games had dreadful covers on Master System, don't know why. Maybe they tried to recreate the cool minimal aspect of the Nintendo Black Boxes but failed?
>>
Master System does what NEShouldn't.
>>
Master System is cool but its sound is terrible. Sounds like Colecovision.
>>
>>2804145
Uh, what? Sounds good to me. Never had a Coleco, so I can't compare.
>>
>>2804152
Yeah same here. I like the way Phantasy Star sounds way more than any NES game tbqh.
>>
HangOn
Outrun
All the games that used 3d are cool.
Sonic games
Fire and Ice
Pyscho Fox
>>
>>2804152
>>2804159
Our Master System has no FM expansion though, for no good reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSXYI2PlIF0
>>
>>2804159
Surely you don't mean stock PSG. Stock Master System had one of the absolute worst sound chips in the history of gaming. I've seen trackers and homebrewers do more with the 2600's soundchip. I've yet to hear a single good song come out of that thing without FM expansion, and I grew up with the damn thing.
>>
>>2804145
It's decent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8RD7R6ojwc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvneI9hDWAM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x35H3mcTDfM

>>2804113
Asterix, probably Sega's best platformer.
>>
Alex Kidd games
Afterburner
Air Rescue
Aladdin
Assault City if you have a light gun
Asterix games
Astro Warrior
Aztec Adventure
Baku Baku Animal
Basketball nightmare
Battle out run
Black belt is alright, not the best but something to play
Bomber raid
An alright version of Bonanza Bros
Bubble Bobble
Buggy Run!
California Games
Captain silver, play the pal version if you can
Columns
Cyborg Hunter
Daffy Duck in Hollywood
Danan the jungle fighter
Deep Duck Trouble
Double Dragon
Dragon Crystal
Dynamite Duke
Dynamite Dux
Dynamite Headdy* yes the master system had it
Enduro Racer
Fantasy Zone
Fantasy Zone 2
Forgotten Worlds
Gain Ground
Galactic Protector
Gangster Town* fucking hard but fun
Gauntlet
Ghouls n Ghosts
Golden Axe Warrior
Golvellius
Impossible Mission
Kenseidan
Kings Quest
Laser Ghost
Lemmings
Lord of the Sword
Lucky Dime Caper
Marble Madness
Master of Darkness
Mickey Mouse: Castle of Illusion
MM: Land of Illusion
MJ's Moonwalker
Miracle Warriors Seal of the Dark lord
Montezumas Revenge
New Zealand Story(Kiwi Kraze)
The Ninja
Ninja Gaiden
Out run
Penguin Land
Phantasy Star
Pit Pot
Power Strike aka Aleste
Power Strike 2
Prince of Persia
Psycho Fox
Rainbow Islands
Rambo First Blood Part 2 aka Ashura aka Secret Commando
Rastan
Reggie Jacksons Basketball
R-Type
Rygar
Sagaia
motherfucking shinobi
Slapshot
Solomons Key
Sonic Games
Space Harrier
SCI special criminal investigation
Speedball 2
Spellcaster
Time Soldiers
Transbot aka Astro flash aka nuclear creature
Ultima IV
Wanted
Wimbledon 2
Wonderboy games
Ys
Zillion games
>>
>>2804202
this is a great list. Theres a lot of shovelware for the SMS, a lot of people complain of the sound too but maybe my ears just got used to it. The Sonic games are fun to play since this was back when ports were usually different from the actual game.
Im also glad youve included Buggy Run, I never really saw that. Still bummed I sold it when I was broke, now I see it on sale for like 240 and such.
>>
>>2804216
Thanks, I might be missing a few things, Great Golf is one of them I noticed; and ah that sucks about Buggy run, sorry to hear.
>>
Renegade is really good on Master System. Much better than the shitty NES port.
>>
>>2804368
it looks more like Double Dragon than Kunio though
>>
I don't have a master system, only a Power Base Converter plugged into a Sega CDX and a Master System controller.

It's okay.
>>
>>2804145
Not surprising considering the SG-1000 was virtually a Colecovision clone. The NES was heavily based upon it as well I hear.
>>
>>2804178
I've only had a master system for a week but the theme for The Ninja and the Bridge theme from sonic are freaking awesome.
>>
>>2804178
Doesn't it just use the TMS 9919 for sound?
>>
>>2805138
Yes.
>>
>>2805138
>>2804178
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmzPC-kLQec

Nice example of the TMS 9919 at work. Cover your ears.
>>
>>2805142
>>2805140
>>2805138
This was an almost 7 year old chip when the SMS first came out. Really, Sega?
>>
File: NinjaGaiden.jpg (46KB, 673x452px) Image search: [Google]
NinjaGaiden.jpg
46KB, 673x452px
>>2804113
yep
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXngNP8XSzM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smQbh3gHo6Y
>>
>>2805142
SMS used the same basic guts as the SG-1000 for backwards compatibility - its video chip could still operate in TMS 9918 mode plus they retained the same sound chip. The 9918/19 dated back to 1979 - they were quite outmoded by the Mark III's introduction in 86.
>>
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a Fist of the North Star game on MS that's pretty good?
>>
People don't talk about it because it wasn't that good.
I mean, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't that good either. It was allright.

>>2805171
Black Belt, it was an ok game.
>>
>>2804113
Wonder Boy: Dragon's Trap is a must play. Probably the finest game on the system, and really helps you to appreciate the Monster World games.
>>
>>2804202
You were watching me when i was a kid, weren't you...
>>
Wonderboy 3 PSG music shits all over the FM version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuQCQ7vSr_g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2YbwIuhv0E

that one is too comfy
>>
>>2806591
yes son
>>
>>2804113
>Are there any good Master System games?

Not many ,there's a handful I like to play but the system isn't really that good,it's only because it's made by sega that people even give it the time of day.
>>
File: P1000809.jpg (38KB, 488x405px) Image search: [Google]
P1000809.jpg
38KB, 488x405px
Sure, but if you want to play them, just get a Power Base converter for your Genesis/MD.
>>
>>2806784
>there's a handful I like to play
Thank you for naming them and actually adding something to the thread instead of being passive agressive
>>
>>2806958
Never understood this. I've never seen a PBC sell for less than it costs to just get a master system.
>>
The master system is pretty rad. Not as many notable titles as the NES, but not much else does.

Regular master system's have gotten pretty pricey lately, but if you really wanted to you could grab a Brazilian one for cheap. If you have a genesis, you can grab a Power Base Converter and play master system games on that, or using a flashcart on a stock genesis will do the trick too.
>>
The SMS would have fared a lot better if the FM sound expansion was standardly inlcuded
>>
>>2804178
Never owned a Master System but I remember my Game Gear having pretty rad sound with headphones connected. I'm listening to some Game Gear stuff right now and it honestly doesn't sound that bad.
>>
>>2806975
My local shop sells sega model 1 + powerbase for 50$ together.
>>
>>2804368
The NES Renegade was not that bad. The SMS version is practically identical gameplay wise.
>>2804441
Double Dragon was supposed to be a Renegade sequel after all by the original creator after all. The later Kunio games were done by other people and pretty much deviated from the original.
>>
>>2807389
There are no local shops where I live, everything has to be bought online. Yard sales and flea markets are dry too.
>>
Wait, do people like transbot?

This game was a god damn running joke amongst my friends for being atrocious. Only one of my friends like it, the rest of us thought it was seriously repetitive.
>>
>>2807448
I like it, and there's no denying it's repetitive.
>>
>>2807389
I'm in yurop. Master systems are much, much more common than power base converters here.
>>
>>2807420
>The NES Renegade was not that bad. The SMS version is practically identical gameplay wise.

No it isn't. NES is way easier to grab enemies and throw them and the enemies will tear you up if you take them on more than one at a time. The Master System is much easier to mount downed opponents and perform the running punch. The only similarities are in controls. Enemy behavior is way different.
>>
If I play master system games on a genesis (power base converter or everdrive) will I get default master system PSG sound or will it use the genesis FM synth for games that use FM synth?
>>
>>2807494
Ah that's why
alright then yeah get regular sms if you are in yurop or south america
>>
Are sms games region locked, or can I just put PAL ones in NTSC consoles?
>>
>>2807494
I can confirm this. Apparently the Master System was about as popular as the NES in Europe, from what I've read. I used to own one but I sold it like a moron.

Also it's not called the Power Base Converter here, it's just called the Master System Converter which makes a lot more sense if you ask me.
>>
>>2807494
>>2807824
I'm in (I suppose) another part of yurop. Have never seen a master system in my entire life. Several NES:es though.
>>
>>2807591
PSG. Some modern unofficial SMS>MD adapters have an added FM chip, like the "FM Power Base Converter".

>>2807813
No region lock. The SMS can also be easily 50Hz/60Hz modded.
>>
>>2807830
Alrighty cool to know thanks, kinda wanna get one because I love shinobi.
>>
>>2807824
>Apparently the Master System was about as popular as the NES in Europe
The UK was all Sega until the PSX came around, mainly due Sega hardware and games being way cheaper than Nintendo. Nintendo has never been popular here outside of handhelds and the Wii.
>Also it's not called the Power Base Converter here, it's just called the Master System Converter which makes a lot more sense if you ask me.
Actually look at OP's image. The main box which you put your cartridges/cards in is called the Power Base. It makes sense if you ever owned a Master System which is the audience Sega was going after with the Power Base Converter.
>>
>>2807964
The Master System had like multiple names before they settled on Master System.
>>
What fraction of master system games use FM synth?
>>
>>2808085
http://www.smspower.org/forums/8714-GenderAdapterMassProducedSignUpForUnheardFMMusic
>>
>>2808112
Okay, that means about 1 in 6 master system games support FM synth.

Are these games generally better in graphics and gameplay as well?

Will an genesis everdrive function if it piggybacks on a FM power base converter?

I'm trying to figure out if I need to get a modded master system in addition to my genesis.
>>
How good is emulation at master system PSG and FM synth audio?
>>
>>2807389
I've never seen a PBC sold on its own in any store EVER where I live...
>>
Kenseiden
Phantasy Star
Spell Caster
Alex Kidd in Miracle World
Shinobi
Miracle Warriors
Zillion / Zillion 2
Star Wars
Alex Kidd in Shinobi World
Golden Axe Warrior
Psycho Fox
Master of Darkness
Wonder Boy in Monster World
Golvellius
Wonderboy: The Dragon's Trap
Dead Angle

These are just the ones I remember off the top of my head. The system is a goldmine of hidden gems.
>>
>>2808709
Mine sells them cheap for some reason,
Dunno, maybe because it's hard to sell?
>>
I think Alex Kidd in Shinobi World is the best game for the system.

Asterix is good though.
>>
>>2808157
It should work with an everdrive, though several games only have FM in the Japanese versions (like Phantasy Star, you'll need the SMSPower fan translation if you want English with FM), and a couple games (Dragon's Trap is the only one that comes to mind) only work with FM synth if it detects that the console is Japanese.
>>
Better than Duck Hunt if you ask me.
>>
Small tip: generic shutter glasses with a 3.5mm jack work fine with the MasterSystem. I have the Sega adapter on the console side, and use a pair of Asus glasses originally designed for some PC video card - no issues, cheap, and they feel brand new.

Missile Defense 3D is surprisingly good, with the Light Phaser being so accurate.
>>
File: image.jpg (74KB, 671x234px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74KB, 671x234px
>>2808743
My nigga. I actually like it better than the original Shinobi on SMS or any of the other Alex Kidd games.
>>
>>2809086
Will it work with the 3D glasses from the PS2 game Sly Cooper 3?
>>
>>2809428
>literally not shutter glasses
Good one
>>
>>2808534
>Not playing on original hardware, using original cartridges, with an 80's CRT, after school but before bedtime hours and wearing the clothing of the period.

Loathsome pleb.
>>
>>2808534
The best part about the master system is its blaster and 3d glasses, so if you're missing out on those by emulating, that's a big deal for me. I am normally an emu fag but I keep a CRT around for my SMS
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
>>
>>2810136
Does the Genesis light gun work on master system games played on a Genesis (everdrive/power base converter)?
>>
>>2810346
As an educated guess, no. They function too differently. Even if you swapped controller ports I don't think the Menacer infared box would send signals that the MS games understand.

http://segaretro.org/Menacer
http://segaretro.org/Light_Phaser
>>
>>2810115

>not hiring a prostitute to play mommy and turn your games off after an hour
>>
>>2808738
This is a pretty good list of must play sms games imo.
>>
>>2810346
Doesn't matter if you're using a Powerbase Converter or a SMS. No clue but very unlikely to work anyway.
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.