[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does /vr/ feel about the first Blood Omen? I got pretty far

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

File: blood-omen.jpg (199KB, 400x403px) Image search: [Google]
blood-omen.jpg
199KB, 400x403px
How does /vr/ feel about the first Blood Omen? I got pretty far when it came out but never finished because I lost my copy while moving. Is it worth going back to? I mostly want closure but haven't bothered checking to see if it has aged well.
>>
Great game. Both are good for the story but the first one has better gameplay imo.
>>
>>2802608
Mechanically it's a decent Zelda imitator, much darker of course. I don't think the combat and dungeons are that interesting (puzzles are mostly just hitting switches and avoiding spikes) but it's got so much style it's still cool.

The voice acting for the first LoK is still GOAT in my book. I loved how there were voiceovers for every item, new enemy, major locations, and sometimes just as you're wandering around in the world.
>>
>>2802625
>Everything that is top down+fantasy = Zelda clone!!
Stop this shit already.
>>
>>2802625
>puzzles are mostly just hitting switches and avoiding spikes
Puzzles should never be anything more than that. Modern Zelda is going full retard with its "puzzles".
>>
I really enjoyed exploring the world, everything feels appropriately gothic and mysterious.

>>2802625
Yeah the voice acting is amazing.

As a game its fairly easy, but the story really keeps it interesting. The dynamics of all the environmental hazards from being a vampire and harvesting humans for health was super cool. And you really feel like a badass vampire by the end.

Vorador's Mansion I remember being fun.

Man, maybe I should play it again too.
>>
>>2802865
Blood Omen totally is a Zelda-like game though. The guy you're replying to really summed it up quite nicely including accurately listing the best elements. You're just shitposting, fucking fedora tipper.
>>
>>2802608
Flawed Zelda type game, but still pretty good. My main complaints are the lame puzzles, weak combat and some of the dungeon pacing.
>>
>>2802873
>Puzzles should just be thumb candy for retards.
>said nobody,ever.
Yeah, no
>>
>>2802865
Yeah! Any retrofan worth their salt knows zelda was a rip off of Adventure! Get your shit straight, plebs! How do you expect to get wives if you don't even know your root genre definers?
>>
>>2803208
>Adventure
>anything more than a couple pixels bumping into each other
I'm glad Atari was so shitty that it Sudoku'd itself.
>>
>>2803208
I guess Hylide never existed.
>>
I just wanna know how to make the PC version run on my Windows 7 machine, then I'll be happy.
>>
>>2803229

>a couple pixels bumping into each other

This is every videogame ever, unless you are some of those guys who wants to marry with some draw character on the screen
>>
>>2803406

Adventure is older if we're just being pedantic.
>>
>>2803454
Point is that there are 2 games that came out before Zelda, but apparently games can only be clones of Zelda.
>>
>>2803483
No, but when you're talking about X imitating Y, all that matters is what you're imitating. It doesn't matter what the first possible example of a game like that was.

Influential != innovative.
>>
>>2803534
So the more popular thing should be remembered instead of the game that actually was the first like that? Besides there are too many times that a game is called a clone of something.

>every game that has free roam = GTA-clone
>everygame that has puzzles and dungeons = Zelda clone

This makes it sound like any game that comes near the above mentioned thing can only be a clone or rip-off a game Roguelike for example.
>>
Vei victus! Is mostly all I remember of this game.
Still have it in its cardboard box.
Loved it but it doesn't run on my pc :(
>>
>>2802608
A premiere gothic experience even today. The screwy vampire/time travel/dislodgement thematics just add to it. Strangely enough. They don't make them like that no more. + Tony Jay.
>>
>>2803636
There are three different issues here. We're not talking about building an accurate timeline of vidya history right now, but if you wanted to, yes it would be important to mention earlier examples. And I'm not trying to say "Zelda-like" is LoK's genre, or that all games like that should be compared to Zelda. It's a top-down action-adventure game.

But, in the context of this casual, non-academic discussion, it is perfectly serviceable to say "It's kinda like Zelda, but..." because that is an accurate and useful point of reference for many people.
>>
>>2804336
>Loved it but it doesn't run on my pc :(
You and me both, buddy.
>>
>>2803436
In one of these threads some anon posted a link to Blood Omen that was suited for newer systems. I don't have it on my current PC but maybe some other anon saved the link and/or the game. It worked flawlessly for me.
>>
>>2804406
Maybe, I'd think it makes it sound too simplistic.
>>
>>2805430
Simplisticly is the best way to begin to describe something.
>>
>>2805363
"I'm interested in this."
>>
Watched a friend try out the PS version not too long ago. Some parts were BRUTAL and had him tearing through hearts of darkness like no one's business.

Can't say for sure it wasn't just him tho. He's not a HUGE retrophile and sometimes it takes old stuff a while to click.
>>
File: 1442217399968.jpg (24KB, 303x255px) Image search: [Google]
1442217399968.jpg
24KB, 303x255px
It is the only Kain game that I played and enjoyed. By the end of the game you should feel like a bad ass super natural vampire due to the equipment and spells you can sling.

>That part at the execution site
>The entire mob turns towards you
>Use that spell that drains the blood out of everyone on screen
It is fucking awesome. If that isn't enough though you can also get a sword that screeches as you swing it and makes enemies explode into gibs.
>>
"Font of Putrescence"
you read this in Kain's voice
>>
>>2802608
This was one of my first games on psx, I never managed to finish this game, this kid who lived down the street borrowed it then moved. I hate it when people do that.
>>
>>2807984
I was always super cautious about who I lent my stuff to. Didn't want a situation like this.

On the flip side, I was a shifty asshole who tried to hold on to borrowed stuff as long as humanly possible.

Feel bad about that.
>>
>>2807990
I got my copy of Yoshi's Story sort-of that way, except I actually tried to return it (after a fairly long time, though) but he just told me to keep it.

It is my shittiest N64 cart though. I don't know wtf he did with the edge connector, because it is not, nor has never been, happy.
>>
>>2807191
>sword that screeches as you swing it and makes enemies explode into gibs.

I assume you're talking about the Soul Reaver?

I actually played Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver (the game) BEFORE the original Blood Omen. I remember finding out you could get the Soul Reaver (weapon) in Blood Omen and being all "Whoa, dude!"
>>
>>2802608

Personally I didn't much like it. IMO it just seemed... sloppy, almost unfinished.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.