[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Overrated (adventure) games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: Beneath_a_Steel_Sky_Coverart.png (48KB, 256x330px) Image search: [Google]
Beneath_a_Steel_Sky_Coverart.png
48KB, 256x330px
I just finished Beneath a Steel Sky and frankly I don't understand why adventure gaming enthusiasts seem to like it so much. The comic panel intro seemed quite innovative and I was expecting something completely different, but the story was a mess, characters bland and backgrounds all drawn in such exciting colours as brown and grey.

It wasn't all bad, but it was just so mediocre that I felt a little betrayed because of the great expectations. I was always wondering whether the start was just slow and the game would get interesting at some point but it didn't.

It was cool to see though some rather crude ideas that were better executed in Broken Sword or that are rather rare or actually non-existent in other games (Virtual reality puzzles).

When have great expectations betrayed you, /vr/?
>>
>>2798367
BASS got overhyped when GoG starting giving it away for free. Because it has a cool cyberpunkish setting, people starting yammering about it like it's some lost gem of the genre, when it's a sometimes cool, sometimes funny, seriously flawed game as you said. It's got quite a bit of the things everyone loves to hate on adventure games for, like pixel-hunting for important objects.

I don't think it's a terrible game but it really doesn't deserve to stand up there with the classics.

>When have great expectations betrayed you
I didn't love System Shock 2. Great atmosphere but kinda boring to play, I thought. I enjoyed going through it once but have no desire to touch it again. Didn't feel betrayed, just that it was overhyped.
>>
>>2798367
I thought Sam & Max was well below other LucasArts adventures like Monkey Island and Full Throttle. Yeah, the humor was there, and I liked the characters, but the puzzles were mostly stupid and the plot was lame. The interface is a pain in the ass too--no mouseover text, and giant mouse icons so it's hard to tell which object you're hovering over.
>>
>>2798602
>I don't think it's a terrible game but it really doesn't deserve to stand up there with the classics.
Sad to hear that, I wanted to play a good, old cyberpunk adventure game. Is Blade Runner worth it?
>>
>>2799412
I really wanted blade runner to be good. But unfortunately it's filled with pixel hunting and boring fucking characters
>>
>>2799412
It does deserve to stand up there with the classics. There's just a backlash right now because the gog freebie skewed the quality/popularity ratio. I still suggest playing it. It's free and not too long, so you have nothing to lose.
>>
>>2798367
>I don't understand why adventure gaming enthusiasts seem to like it so much.
Because adventure game fans have terrible taste, and don't know good storytelling.

Adventure games are basically the garbage bin where good ideas go to die.

Like, let's say you're a budding programmer, and you want to make a fun game, but you know nothing about game design? Your friend has a story she wants to write, but she has no talent and every publisher in the country has laughed in her face and used her manuscript as kindling? Well then, you've got the groundwork for an adventure game.

The same goes for the stealth and horror genres. People crack jokes about Metal Gear Solid being "like a movie" but the fact is, Kojima's incoherent "plots" would never be accepted by Hollywood. And that's saying something, because the bar for Hollywood movies is pretty fucking low.
>>
>>2798367
>When have great expectations betrayed you, /vr/?

Planescape Torment.

The writing isn't as sophisticated as actual literature, despite what its fans say, and the gameplay only fully rewards essentially only one style of play (pacifist diplomat), at least from what I've seen.

I got upset that I made a combat oriented character and constantly felt like I was somehow consistently the weakest member of the party the first go round.

Then the second playthrough I just cake walked through the whole thing with hardly any issues just talking, barely getting into any combat situations, which is totally not what happens in a D&D campaign.

So what you get is a subpar novel delivered through a medium that doesn't fit it at all. It's not a video game, isn't a D&D simulation, and isn't a novel and the success it has in weaving those three elements together is debatable.
>>
I'm willing to concede this might be more a personal opinion, but I fucking hate Day of the Tentacle. It took the fantastic B movie angle of Maniac Mansion and turned it into some straight up goofy Looney Tunes shit, abandoning a majority of the characters along the way and replacing them with two retards nobody gave a fuck about.

Also, as much as I love Full Throttle it is unforgivably short.
>>
I hate all fucking adventure games, they all fucking suck
>>
>>2799594
>I hate an entire genre

Isn't that a mentality people grow out of by the time they're 14?
>>
>>2799597
they're right though. adventure games really do suck
>>
>>2799618

So out of all the adventure games ever made there isn't a single good one?
>>
>>2799597
Are you Barney? Do you love everything?
>>
>>2799627

That's a bit of a leap. I dislike plenty of games, but not an entire genre of games. That's downright retarded. Assuming there is a library of more than a handful of examples to choose from there is always going to be something decent in there.
>>
>>2799640
But if hasn't played the one game in a sea of games he dislikes, then its not unreasonable to state a dislike for something.

"I hate X" is not the same as "All X sucks," which is the point you're debating but not the one you outlined in your greentext. I hate rats, should I assume I'm 14 just because there might be a rat out there I wouldn't hate?
>>
>>2799412
Blade Runner has great atmosphere, but it's kind of a crappy game. Good ideas and some moments where you do get to feel like a noir investigator (the "zoom and enhance" ESPER machine is pretty great), but as that other anon said, it's got annoying pixel-hunting. And it's doubly annoying because sometimes the game won't progress until you've found Piece of Evidence #2 on Screen #17, and it's not clear at all why you can't move on, and even when you do find it, you have to go to some other random screen so a new event can trigger. It's still worth playing just because it's so different.
>>
>>2799650
>I hate rats, should I assume I'm 14 just because there might be a rat out there I wouldn't hate?

I don't know, do you enjoy actively associating with various other types of rodents who are slightly different from rats and post on a board dedicated to vintage rodents?
>>
>>2798367
Literally every "adventure" game unless you love horrible puzzles and absolutely no adventure.
>>
>>2799678
We get it, you don't like adventure games. You're not going to convince anyone.

Seems rather silly you would have "great expectations" per the OP if you truly hate them, though. It's almost like you're responding with an opinion tangential to the question.
>>
>>2799678
You missed the part where OP praised a different adventure game.
>>
File: riven_boiler.jpg (202KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
riven_boiler.jpg
202KB, 1280x960px
I enjoy adventure games. Many of them have great puzzles and lots of exploration. I wish other people on /vr/ cared about text adventures, because there's a lot of cool stuff in them we don't see anymore, but I understand they are hard to get into and can be frustrating.
>>
>>2798367
>expectations betrayed
System Shock 2

Also I know not retro, but Deus Ex gets mentioned here often. Its just a slow first person shooter with wonky stealth mechanics but people act like its the second coming of christ
>>
>>2799536
>>2799670
Guess I'll just stick to Kojima's games.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.