[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Jump and Shoot

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

File: MMX.jpg (51KB, 600x430px) Image search: [Google]
MMX.jpg
51KB, 600x430px
Looking for the most satisfying platformer.
I want a game that you just turn on and you're instantly jumping around and everything feels snappy and responsive.
Usually I load up a save state in Megaman X where I've already collected the dash upgrade (and then exited the level) so I can just get right into it but I'm looking for something other than Megaman X.

Any recommendations?
>>
File: skyblazer.jpg (19KB, 398x266px) Image search: [Google]
skyblazer.jpg
19KB, 398x266px
>>
>>2798095
I only know the obvious answers, OP.
Super Metroid, Symphony of the Night, Cave Story, the original Mega Man series.

If you don't mind a bit of ero, try Nightmare Sphere. By the end of it, you'll have so many upgrades, you can triple jump, fly, float, dash, shoot in multiple directions, etc.
>>
>>2798101

pretty neat, must've overlooked this one because it sounds like soul blazer. hopefully there'll be some upgrades

>>2798108

I like super metroid but not sure I agree it's one of those games I play for instant platforming goodness. Though the others are obvious and good as well

I'll look into nightmare sphere, thanks
>>
>>2798101

I just realized that the best part about Megaman X for that instant platforming is that you have so many levels to choose from and it helps keeping it fresh when you just want to pick it up and play
This is linear so unless I savestate/password my favorite levels I don't see it becoming my go-to choice for this kind of play
>>
metal warriors
>>
File: Bucky O'Hare.jpg (66KB, 349x480px) Image search: [Google]
Bucky O'Hare.jpg
66KB, 349x480px
Give Konami's Mega Man game a shot.
>>
>>2798095
daimakaimura
>>
>>2798204

eh

>>2798209

this looks fucking delicious, why have I never heard of this?

>>2798212

love the series but I almost have to prepare myself for a session of it because it's so stressful. any particular version?
>>
File: 1444625164704.jpg (61KB, 540x528px) Image search: [Google]
1444625164704.jpg
61KB, 540x528px
>>2798101

>water labyrinth with switches that changes the direction of the currents off-screen so you don't know what changed

thanks bro
>>
>>2798254

okay it wasn't that hard
also seeing a pattern with the bosses and upgrades you get, very megaman-like in that sense
>>
Liquid Kids is pretty fun

Mega Turrican is amazing
>>
>>2798278

a bunch of weird shit with moving platforms and the fact that you can heal gives it a weird pacing since you can always get magic. also a bunch of damage boosting

>>2798305

tried getting into mega turrican a bunch of times unsuccessfully
liquid kids looks intriguing, I'll look into it
>>
>>2798101

that was a fun little romp. very easy though and I barely had to use any of the magic except for healing and sometimes dash. bosses had cool ideas but they were kind of easy and repetitive. a light 6/10
>>
>>2798225
>why have I never heard of this?

I'm not sure, it's fairly well known
>>
>>2798454

never heard of it, what a shame
this is really nice stuff. snappy as hell. thought my emulator was speeding it up at first
>>
My favorite jump and shoot is still MM6, a lot of the MM fanbase don't care for it because it's too easy or because they didn't play it as a kid but I think it has the best overall level design design, story and music.

I mean how cool is an international fighting robot tournament? It's Mega Man x G Gundam
>>
>>2798209

okay I'm beginning to see an issue. the only thing that really kills you is one-hit kills

>>2798493

I really like the visual style but I'm not sure I'm completely on the "same mechanics as the classic games but twice the sprite-size" train
>>
>I want a game that you just turn on and you're instantly jumping around
Startropics.
>>
>>2798225
i'd suggest saturn version of daimakaimura. arcade perfect port.

some others

contra 3
contra hard corps
alien soldier
atomic runner chelnov
midnight wanderers / roosters
>>
>>2798521
>I really like the visual style but I'm not sure I'm completely on the "same mechanics as the classic games but twice the sprite-size" train

I think you're confusing 6 and 7
>>
>>2798590

thanks, I'll check it out

love the contra games but I prefer having someone with me butting heads against them
alien soldier I've tried getting into but I've always felt the stages are a little barebones. I really like jumping around big levels
are the saturn ports of atomic runner/midnight wanderers the best for trying them out?

>>2798592

oh yea you're right. mm6 is probably my fav after 2 and 3
>>
Title says "jump and shoot", but the OP doesn't mention shooting anywhere...

Anyways Kirby's Adventure for NES is pretty snappy and has a bunch of great dash animations and sound effects. You can also just try to main the laser powerup and skip everything else if you just want to zap stuff.

Also Donkey Kong (GB) feels pretty great with the backflips and handstands and stuff.
>>
>>2798620

The shooting I can do without.
my favorite title for just loading up and playing is Megaman X with Castlevania sotn for a close second. It just feels good moving around destroying enemies, I don't think it matters wether you do it by shooting, jumping or hitting. The fact that you can go to different places (from the start) in both games helps it keeping it fresh, you can load it up and go to a new place instantly depending on your mood

kirby is nice but I'm looking for something a little more difficult
donkey kong seems a little rigid, might look into it
>>
>>2798678

I got into the castlevania series late... not retro but I really like Aria of Sorrow (GBA) and Dawn of Sorrow (DS). Aria of Sorrow is one of my favorite games to just zone out and slash some stuff. The controls are incredibly tight, so it's my go-to when I'm testing out USB gamepads.

You can kind of breeze through the first 6 worlds Donkey Kong GB once you figure out the backflip, but the delicious final worlds make it all worth it.
>>
>>2798225

>dissing metal warriors

clueless to what you're missing out on.
>>
>>2798615
for atomic runner genesis is best. such a good fast paced game with a wicked artstyle. saturn got the arcade version which is pretty shit imo

midnight wanderers only on saturn as far as i know. really fun short game with nice aesthetic
>>
File: images (4).jpg (49KB, 449x328px) Image search: [Google]
images (4).jpg
49KB, 449x328px
>>2798095
I enjoyed the first one but felt they covered all bases on the second. Do et
>>
>>2798209
This is probably my favorite NES game. I've beaten it many times.
>>
>>2798095
Ninja Gaiden
>>
>>2798209
Fantastic game, though it led to some crazy temper tantrums when i played it as a child. Really need to replay some great NES games.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.