[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any good retro PC games on Steam?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

Any good retro PC games on Steam?
>>
>>2796696
test
>>
Thief
Tomb Raider
A whole slew of Genesis games if you're into that
>>
DOOM
DOOM II
The 7th Guest
The 11th Hour
Age of Empires II
Commander Keen
Descent
Duke Nukem I, II and 3D
Fallout 1 and 2
Final Fantasy 7
Grim Fandango

I could go on all day, just go on Steam and look for the category "retro"
>>
>>2796696
There's a lot but if you're trying to run them on a modern computer keep in mind that Valve doesn't bother to make sure the games they are selling actually can run on modern parts or software let alone rarely ever sells anything that's already preconfigured to do so. So it's best to do some research before purchasing anything and be prepared to do tweaks on your own.
>>
>>2796696

Might be worthwhile to work with GoG instead. They seem legit.
>>
>>2796773
GoG is great, they randomly toss free shit your way all the time just for logging in.
>>
>>2796785
I loved it when they gave Fallout 1-Tactics for free to spite Bethesda before having to pull it off their store.
>>
File: ipad 016.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
ipad 016.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
unreal gold
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
>>
>>2797082
>Return To Castle Wolfenstein

I replayed it recently. I used to like it a lot when it came out, now ? I thought it's really average at best. Back when it came out the appeal was to have a SP FPS using Q3's fabulous engine. Now that the appeal is gone, all there is left is a very average gameplay.
>>
>>2796764
Yeah, they'll give you Doom and all the sequels, but they only throw in a DosBox with it.
You gotta get Chocolate Doom (or whatever else sourceport you want) by yourself.
At least they're making it available.

They do sell the Megaton Edition of Duke Nukem 3D, which is a pretty nice sourceport with all the expansions and episodes.

Oh, and Strife: Veteran Edition, Strife had been abandonware for several years, it's fucking rare for a game to bounce back onto the market like that.

>>2796773
>>2796785
>>2796795
GoG are pretty nice chaps, ya.
I love that there's a service dedicated to making sure you can still buy and play old games.

I'll say one thing though, I wish the GoG version of Syndicate Wars came with the option of selecting language like in the original, I grew up playing Syndicate Wars in my native tongue and it was just really unique to read and hear all those dark cyberpunk things in my own language.
Also the cops sounded better.

>>2797093
I suppose the gameplay hasn't aged the best, but I really love the levels and the plot, the atmosphere. It was just a really cool game.
If they remade RtCW with Wolf 09 or New Order as a basis, I think that could be really cool.
>>
>>2797196
>Megaton
>pretty nice sourceport

It's bad. For instance its widescreen support isn't true widescreen and you're stuck with a ugly outdated true 3D renderer.
>>
File: impossible-creatures-1-1.jpg (161KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
impossible-creatures-1-1.jpg
161KB, 1024x768px
>>
>>2797204
Worked fine on my PS3.

But then, I also played DNF afterwards, and maybe that skewed my perception.

I kinda wish that the nightvision goggles weren't made obsolete by the renderer, or that it at the very least would still highlight text, but other than that, it plays perfectly alright for me.

I'm not that picky about widescreen btw desu
>>
File: 0.jpg (22KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
22KB, 480x360px
>>2796696
Kamui
>>
>>2797204
I wouldn't even mind that if the mouse aiming wasn't so fucked up.
>>
File: bye bitch.jpg (41KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
bye bitch.jpg
41KB, 640x400px
Dark Forces & Jedi Knight
>>
>>2797196
>Yeah, they'll give you Doom and all the sequels, but they only throw in a DosBox with it.
>You gotta get Chocolate Doom (or whatever else sourceport you want) by yourself.
>At least they're making it available.

This is what you would expect and is a bad example. I wouldn't expect any game company to choose a fan-made source port for me. A better example would be Jedi Knight, which is not playable in Windows 7-10 out of the box without some finagling and fan tools.
>>
File: soul reaver.jpg (36KB, 383x500px) Image search: [Google]
soul reaver.jpg
36KB, 383x500px
Soul Reaver, though you are probably better of getting the GOG version. I think. I don't own either.
>>
>>2797668
I heard that the PC version is broken either way. DC is definitive, but PS1 is cool too.
>>
>>2797682
I recall there being a bug on the sound that makes echo effects not play nice at all but the game itself is perfectly fine.
>>
>>2797196
>I wish the GoG version of Syndicate Wars came with the option of selecting language like in the original
Try asking them nicely.
>>
>>2797735
What, they'll do that?
>>
>>2797093
RtCW's real draw was its multiplayer.
>>
>>2796795
Yeah that was funny, although now all three are back so what happened? I don't understand why they had to pull them in the first place.
>>
>>2800396
Bethesda started putting some of the games they owned on GOG only a few months ago. Before that I think Interplay still owned the rights for the original Fallout games until some lawsuit that gave Bethesda the right to them.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.