[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Perfect Dark

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

File: 1444606908737.jpg (146KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1444606908737.jpg
146KB, 1280x1024px
>that framerate boost when you change video settings to widescreen/cinema

Anything to make it better.

Let's talk Perfect Dark. I'm on my first playthrough ever, stuck in Chicago on Secret Agent because I suck at shooting, stealth, or both (depending on the attempt). Slowly learning though. I feel like Retro builds their games around a lot of repeat attempts, which depending on your prerogative or taste for the game can either make or break it I think. This one still has me hooked though, I just want to get good at moving and shooting simultaneously, hard as it is to do for me. I'm glad I'm using something I like (1.2) but still sad at how bad I am. Ah well, practice is good.
>>
Ma nigga. You make me wanna play through Perfect Dark and Goldeneye again. I've played FPSs for like a decade and I started on the N64 but I'll be damned if I don't still have the time of my life playing those games. Still not even easy goings on perfect/00 agent either
>>
>>2794430
>I feel like Retro builds their games around a lot of repeat attempts
Do you mean Rare?

It's pretty common for retro (small r) games to be based around getting better through repeated attempts. Particularly for Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, since their roots lie in Virtua Cop, an arcade game, and not shooters like Doom.
>>
>>2794442
>retro

Oh yeah, my bad. Retro is way more about LOOK AT THESE FUCKING ENVIRONMENTS (which did suit Metroid well I'll admit) but that's neither here nor there, this is /vr/.

Blast Corps is similar as well. I want to thank personally whoever made that game, it's easily in my top 5 on the N64 even if the race maps (a tribute to RC Pro-Am maybe?) make me mad.
>>
>>2794430
I'm glad I'm not the only one who discovered that trick. PD was awesome, but it had a terrible framerate.

Also, if you're playing with the 1.2 control layout, put your left hand on the Dpad and your right on the analog stick, instead of using the C buttons for movement. It's much easier if you're used to games that use modern dual-analog layouts, and reaching the A and B buttons with your right thumb is way easier than you may think.
>>
>>2794478
I know people who've tried to play it in high-resolution mode and then go "waaah it's unplayable". Well, no shit? It's only there as a bonus feature.
>>
>>2794486
probably more for graphics whores circa 2000 to flaunt 'incredible N64 visuals only from Rare, get N or get out playstation movie-watcher scum!'

Or yeah, because Rare was one of those companies that seemed to always be adding more and more to their games rather than removing. I wish that PerfectCam had made it in as planned, would have been shiggity shiggitys shwa.

>>2794478
I'm terrible with dual-analog controls, I can only play shooters on PC. Right hand on 64 joystick feels especially wrong since I never used anything but left thumb on that stick for any game. It's like it's built into me not to touch anything but buttons with my right thumb.
>>
OP here, just finished Chicago. With all the setup I thought it was gonna be a much longer mission, but nope. Guess I can't complain, onward to the next wacky encounter!
>>
>>2794430
>that framerate boost when you switch to low res
turok 2 was the same deal
>>
>>2794430
Misogynistic ad.
>>
>>2794663
kek
>>
>>2794430
>>2794663
Joanna Dark was miscast so bad with her voice actress. She was supposed to be a badass secret agent and they got some fucking nerdy librarian type to voice her. So fucking lame. That ad does not match her voice at all.
>>
>>2794497
>Right hand on 64 joystick feels especially wrong since I never used anything but left thumb on that stick for any game.
Same reason I usually play southpaw/lefty in most modern dual-analog shooters. I got weened on the N64. And my left thumb is the aiming thumb. I had to go out of my way to learn to play regular dual-analog in games that don't give you the option.
>>
>>2794694
it gets worse, PD taught me to move with buttons
>>
>>2794685
I disagree, I think it suits her perfectly.

People always go on about muh womyn in vidya and all that, and I always point them towards Joanna Dark. Her character isn't masculine in any way, she sounds and talks just like any normal person. She also just happens to get shit done.

They never bring attention to the fact she's a woman, she's just a woman. Likewise they never try to hide it, like, for example, by making seem "badass" (read: manly)
>>
File: joannacutscene.jpg (64KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
joannacutscene.jpg
64KB, 640x480px
>>2794685
>that ad does not match
You're right, the ad doesn't match. The actual game content where's she's a posh no-nonsense mission-focused agent fits her voice perfectly, though.
>>
>>2796336
Haha. You're an idiot.
>>
I always thought Joanna was just whispering because she's supposed to be sneaking around, and you don't want to be loud when you're sneaking around.
>>
I've got a prepackaged zip if anyone wants it, containing a preconfigured emulator + the rom + WASD/mouselook modded in if anyone wants it.
>>
>>2796374
Wow, I'm really drunk. That was written badly.

You guys get the idea though.
>>
File: jodark1.jpg (196KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
jodark1.jpg
196KB, 1920x1080px
>>2794685
If you thought ingame Jo was lame, then you should look at the XBLA version. First of all, what is up with that fucking hair and face? Just model it after the box art version or the commercial one. The rest of the game seems fine though. Not retro, but it's something to bring up.
>>
>>2796608
JUST
>>
>>2796608
>just model it after the commercial
Alright m8, that's enough giggles for now.
>>
>>2796628
Man look at that transition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BtX2hOUGrw&t=46s
>>
>>2796374
Me want! Could you give the link?
>>
>>2796374
where's the link
you said there would be a link
>>
>>2794685
I actually kinda liked Joanna's ingame voice.
I think it sounds hot.
>>
>>2794685
>and they got some fucking nerdy librarian type to voice her

You're not far off. She was voiced by a female music designer that worked at Rare.
>>
>>2794685
Her voice was fine.
>>
>>2794430
I loved PD.
I remember beating all the stages on perfect, unlocking all the secrets, beating the FUCKING SHOOTING RANGE. Fun stuff.

I got the 360 hd release a few years ago, it stomped my ass. Perfect Dark is way harder than I remember.
>>
>>2796374
I'd like this, I used to have it but lost it at some point.
>>
>>2794430
>>that framerate boost when you change video settings to widescreen/cinema
The widescreen settings widen the FOV, raising the onscreen polygon count. I'm dubious whether it actually improves the framerate.
>>
>>2798878
The N64 was almost never limited by its polygon rate as its T&L unit is absurdly strong. Usually the fill rate was the limiting factor and the most effective way to lighten the fill load is to lower the resolution of the rendering area.

Sometimes the CPU was the limiting factor due to DMA-related stalls. In that kind of situation lowering the resolution of the display area wouldn't change the framerate.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.